PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cleanse

pektel
11-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Gotta take a break from technology. So I'm going to do a digital cleanse:

No internet (except work email). No facebook, forums, etc.
Phone for voice calls ONLY. No texting.

I'm thinking about perhaps cutting cable TV out of the picture too. We'll see.

I'm going to shoot for 10 days. But I have to tie up a couple loose ends first (lotto payout, and some FS items on another forum).

Maybe after this I'll feel human again, and not have to have some device around me at all times to stay connected wherever I am.

Thoughts? Think you could do it?

Apoco
11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
For me to be able to do this, I have to go camping. I've gone as long as 2 weeks without technology. Then I came home to sleep in a bed :D
Posted via Mobile Device

massphatness
11-03-2010, 11:20 AM
I would rather go 10 days without toilet paper.

shilala
11-03-2010, 11:22 AM
I do really good with no anything most times of the day, for the best part of the day. If they shut off the electric and phones right now, I'd be perfectly happy. I just wish they'd give me a heads up so I can fetch some wood in first.

bigdix
11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

I just threw up in my mouth. :pu I do, however, know for a fact that I could do this. I just need someone to take all of these things away from me. My boredom seems to get the better of me sometimes!

BigFrank
11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I went 8 days without internet, TV, and phone while on Vacation. Best 8 days this year.

That's what baby wipes are for!!! :noon

Mugen910
11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Gotta take a break from technology. So I'm going to do a digital cleanse:

No internet (except work email). No facebook, forums, etc.
Phone for voice calls ONLY. No texting.

I'm thinking about perhaps cutting cable TV out of the picture too. We'll see.

I'm going to shoot for 10 days. But I have to tie up a couple loose ends first (lotto payout, and some FS items on another forum).

Maybe after this I'll feel human again, and not have to have some device around me at all times to stay connected wherever I am.

Thoughts? Think you could do it?

I think it's called "Camping"

The last time I went without tech toys was in '98...best damn 13 weeks of my life :usa

Martel
11-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I do it on a fairly regular basis. Anytime the wife and I go out of town for a quick weekend or a vacation, we leave all that stuff behind... we take cell phones only for emergency calls, no laptops, etc.

Cheers,
G

LasciviousXXX
11-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I could do it...... I just don't want to :D

markem
11-03-2010, 12:01 PM
we never take technology with us on vacation and don't watch tv on vacation. I suggest a nice trip to Fiji as we definitely didn't miss techno toys when we were there 2 years ago.

jmsremax
11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Typically when I go to Maine I shut off my phone once I get up there and turn it back on when I leave, there isn't an internet connection there either. The longest I've gone without a phone or internet was about 10 days. It's wasn't that hard to go that long without it since everyone else I was with was in the same boat. :2

Bill86
11-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I couldn't go without internet for .....more than 10 hours. I live on the web when I'm not out drinking or at work.

That and

:l

replicant_argent
11-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I looked at the title of the thread and thought it was a new and improved modern age version of

Colon Blow

;)

Sorry, I will go back in my corner and stop bothering the inmates. :D

Chingas
11-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Did you just watch the first episode of The Walking Dead or Survivors? This idea is absurd Peter. Your family will miss you.

There is plenty of time to play Amish after 2012. Enjoy these advances in luxury while we still got them.

And if you continue to think line Bear Grilles, well, Bombing is NOT technology!!!:tu

pektel
11-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Did you just watch the first episode of The Walking Dead or Survivors? This idea is absurd Peter. Your family will miss you.

There is plenty of time to play Amish after 2012. Enjoy these advances in luxury while we still got them.

And if you continue to think line Bear Grilles, well, Bombing is NOT technology!!!:tu

lol. No walking dead or survivors, this is what initiated it:

I was visiting some friends about 200 miles away from me. We got to drinking/herfing, and I was telling a story. I noticed that they both had their noses buried in their phones instead of being present. I stopped telling the story, and they didn't notice until they stopped texting. Made me think of how much some people rely on their phones/technology, and if I could give up my internet/forums/etc. for at least a week. I mean, who goes to a HERF and sits on their phone the whole time?

Bombing... that's funny :D You're right. Can't stop that. I can send isht while cleansing as well :D

Bill86
11-03-2010, 03:56 PM
You'll want to see the I got hit thread and you know it. At least to see

Bombing = Ratings. Everyone loves it. Makes CA a great place.

I agree on the texting thing. I HATE it, I send meh 10 texts a week maybe now a days. Half the time I only read them and don't bother responding. IMO it's things like facebook and twitter that will be the end of the world.

icehog3
11-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I could do it...... I just don't want to :D

Beat me to it.

Bill86
11-03-2010, 05:02 PM
*Looks at Tom's 21,425 posts* I bet Tom would rather nub a Gurkha then spend 10 days off the forums. I would too though so I wouldn't blame you.

Brutus2600
11-03-2010, 05:07 PM
lol. No walking dead or survivors, this is what initiated it:

I was visiting some friends about 200 miles away from me. We got to drinking/herfing, and I was telling a story. I noticed that they both had their noses buried in their phones instead of being present. I stopped telling the story, and they didn't notice until they stopped texting. Made me think of how much some people rely on their phones/technology, and if I could give up my internet/forums/etc. for at least a week. I mean, who goes to a HERF and sits on their phone the whole time?

Bombing... that's funny :D You're right. Can't stop that. I can send isht while cleansing as well :D

Smart phones are the biggest hindrance of quality face time that we have today. My girlfriend and I have made a rule that there is no texting/email checking/etc when we're enjoying a meal together. It's nice to stop for a little while, ignore the the digital world, and enjoy the personal world that's right in front of your face that usually gets forgotten these days.

kelmac07
11-03-2010, 06:35 PM
i could do it...... I just don't want to :d

Ditto!! :D

Martel
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Smart phones are the biggest hindrance of quality face time that we have today. My girlfriend and I have made a rule that there is no texting/email checking/etc when we're enjoying a meal together. It's nice to stop for a little while, ignore the the digital world, and enjoy the personal world that's right in front of your face that usually gets forgotten these days.

Absolutely. It's a rule here, never during a meal.

Cheers,
G

joeobx
11-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I can do it and I'll prove it

joeobx
11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
See I told you I could do it.....quit for 10 min....now top that

n3uka
11-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Don't tell me your becoming a Luddite? :tf

:r

pektel
11-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Oh no, I'm not going around breaking phones or anything lol. Just got to get back to basics, as it were.

yourchoice
11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
When's this exercise starting? I keep noticing your posts in threads. Gotta keep you honest! :D

pektel
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I have a lotto payout to send (going out today), and a couple open sale items on another forum that I can't leave hanging. so, no new business, and after this business is taken care of, I will make my last post here :D

BloodSpite
11-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I separate myself every weekend almost.

Unless I have to work: I turn off my phone, I don't touch the computer. Work in the yard, avoid the TV at all costs, I don't blog on my own website, I don't touch Facebook,and even try to avoid my landline if at all possible.

Just get tired of hearing the noise, phones ringing and the clicking of keyboards all week. Makes for a nice recharge!