View Full Version : College Football

GTsetGO
11-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Who's your team?

University of Virginia

season tickets for 12 years now

Rockestone
11-10-2008, 01:56 PM
The Gamecocks! Just kidding. Clemson all the way baby. Even if we are entering into a very unstable period of time.:ss

GTsetGO
11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
i will be at the UVA clemson game in two weeks

Rockestone
11-10-2008, 02:07 PM
You've got a good coach. It should be a good game....at least I hope it is!!:D

GTsetGO
11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
me too. good coach, but a retarded offensive coordinator.

acruce
11-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Longhorns......

Rockestone
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Longhorns......

Great team. You got beat by the best team in college football. Texas Tech is unbelievably good.

Tombstone
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Roll Tide!!!!

silentjon
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
The Canes!! (In case you couldn't have guessed)

silentjon
11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
At least I get to watch on TV the Canes play the next two weeks - they play back-to-back Thursday night games. Does anyone know if a team has played consecutive Thursdays night games before?

Ace$nyper
11-10-2008, 04:16 PM
My brother just got tickets to see Penn state this weekend he's really hyped.

silentjon
11-10-2008, 04:47 PM
My brother just got tickets to see Penn state this weekend he's really hyped.

Even though I dislike PSU, I usually get there once a year. My friend is a huge PSU fan and has season tickets.

Clampdown
11-10-2008, 04:56 PM
University Of Kentucky. I can always count on my team to choke in crunch time.

The Korean
11-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Our motto this year: Come play the defending National Champs....we'll thow the ball to ya!:fl

Rockestone
11-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Our motto this year: Come play the defending National Champs....we'll thow the ball to ya!:fl

I got to geaux to a Tigers game down in Baton Rouge 2 years ago. I had a blast. Great fans down at LSU...Almost as good as at the other Death Valley.:D

DrDubzz
11-10-2008, 06:27 PM
The University of Texas Longhorns

chippewastud79
11-10-2008, 06:34 PM
No love for any non-BS schools?

Central Michigan University Chippewas

Fire up Chips!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/7b/180px-CentralMichiganChippewas.png

Mark C
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM
At least I get to watch on TV the Canes play the next two weeks - they play back-to-back Thursday night games. Does anyone know if a team has played consecutive Thursdays night games before?

Yup, VT has played consecutive Thursdays for the last year or two. The VT @ Miami game will be our second Thursday in a row this year. I love it, apparently our team does too, our Thursday night record is impeccable. Although the Canes always scare me a little, even on a bad year.

Mark C
11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
me too. good coach, but a retarded offensive coordinator.

Us Hokies are Al's biggest fans :D
http://dontfirealgroh.com/

zemekone
11-10-2008, 08:24 PM
USC TROJANS!!!
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/zemekone/trojan1.jpg

e22byrnes
11-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm all Tarheel blue, having their first decent season in quite some time. Might be entering back into what they used to be. One could argue UNC to be the best all-around sports schools.:2

silentjon
11-11-2008, 03:45 AM
Yup, VT has played consecutive Thursdays for the last year or two. The VT @ Miami game will be our second Thursday in a row this year. I love it, apparently our team does too, our Thursday night record is impeccable. Although the Canes always scare me a little, even on a bad year.

I found this on ESPN: Yeah, it should be close, considering Miami and Virginia Tech are the ACC's winningest teams in Thursday night football. Miami is 12-1, and Virginia Tech is 15-3, but they've never met on Thursday night.

Should be a close game. Go Canes!!

longknocker
11-11-2008, 04:31 AM
Longhorns......

:tu My Alma Mater, Class of '75. Other team, where my kids graduated, is Alabama! I'm a happy camper this year!:D

Greg

Mark C
11-11-2008, 05:13 AM
I found this on ESPN: Yeah, it should be close, considering Miami and Virginia Tech are the ACC's winningest teams in Thursday night football. Miami is 12-1, and Virginia Tech is 15-3, but they've never met on Thursday night.

Should be a close game. Go Canes!!

Two of those losses were to BC, so they don't count :). For some reason BC is like kyrptonite to VT, we always have a tough time with them.

Crap, I didn't realize Miami owned Thursday nights also. I hate close games, makes me nervous, I'd be much happier to see Tech run all over 'em like we did MD :D

And this more or less decides the division champ too, our last two games are Duke and UVA so if we beat Miami, done deal I hope.

silentjon
11-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Two of those losses were to BC, so they don't count :). For some reason BC is like kyrptonite to VT, we always have a tough time with them.

Crap, I didn't realize Miami owned Thursday nights also. I hate close games, makes me nervous, I'd be much happier to see Tech run all over 'em like we did MD :D

And this more or less decides the division champ too, our last two games are Duke and UVA so if we beat Miami, done deal I hope.

If VA Tech wins out they win the Coastal Division. If Miami beats Tech and UNC wins out, the Tar Heels win the Coastal. For Miami to win the Coastal, they need to win out and have UNC lose a game.

silentjon
11-11-2008, 05:28 AM
In the Atlantic Division, both Maryland and BC control their own destiny. If either one wins out, they win the Atlantic (Maryland and BC play each other in the last game of the season).

Rockestone
11-11-2008, 05:39 AM
In the Atlantic Division, both Maryland and BC control their own destiny. If either one wins out, they win the Atlantic (Maryland and BC play each other in the last game of the season).

This conversation makes me angry!!!:fl

silentjon
11-11-2008, 05:43 AM

Techinically, Clemson is still alive. Anything can happen.

Well, maybe not.

Rockestone
11-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Techinically, Clemson is still alive. Anything can happen.

Well, maybe not.

Thanks, I feel better now.:al

taltos
11-11-2008, 05:45 AM

More angry than what the results of the USC game will be?:ss

Rockestone
11-11-2008, 05:48 AM
More angry than what the results of the USC game will be?:ss

That game's not looking good either at this point. But, if history is any indication, the Tigers should be ok in that one.:D

GTsetGO
11-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Us Hokies are Al's biggest fans :D
http://dontfirealgroh.com/

they need to change that to dontfiremikegroh.com

he's the problem. you can't get good recruits when you have a no name offensive coordinator. look at the defense. Al Groh is a defensive minded coach and has a good DC, thus UVA gets good D recruits.

USC TROJANS!!!

i have to say it was an honor for them to come to UVA the first game of the season. They were awesome to watch.

Smokin Gator
11-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I hope my username is a clue!!

webjunkie
11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm all Tarheel blue, having their first decent season in quite some time. Might be entering back into what they used to be. One could argue UNC to be the best all-around sports schools.:2

:tpd: Then again, I might be slightly biased :rolleyes:

Very glad that the 'heels gave me something to use to poke fun at my brother in-law (Georgia Tech fan).

Made in Dade
11-11-2008, 04:58 PM
My baby Canes are getting better every week. Vtech this thursday will be tough but we can do it.

silentjon
11-11-2008, 06:10 PM
My baby Canes are getting better every week. Vtech this thursday will be tough but we can do it.

This team should be very good next year.

GTsetGO
11-12-2008, 06:34 AM
I just hope the Canes can beat VT. I hate the hokies, being a UVA fan and all

ucla695
11-12-2008, 06:50 AM
UCLA Bruins!!

Mark C
11-12-2008, 07:24 AM
I just hope the Canes can beat VT. I hate the hokies, being a UVA fan and all

Is it 'cause the best defense recruits from VA go to Bud Foster? ;) :D

Can't wait for tomorrow. Good thing I've got Friday off, I'm gonna need :al to either celebrate or ease the pain.

The UNC MD game will be a good one to watch too. Especially since MD only wins against ranked teams, and they're probably pretty upset about finishing last Thursday's game with -12 rushing yards.

silentjon
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Any Tech fans want to wager a fiver on the Thursday night game?

rizzle
11-12-2008, 11:29 AM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/AlaRebel07/Alabama_Logo2.jpg

Mark C
11-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Any Tech fans want to wager a fiver on the Thursday night game?

Sure, what the heck. Last time I bet on Tech they lost, so tomorrow could be a win-win night for you!

silentjon
11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Sure, what the heck. Last time I bet on Tech they lost, so tomorrow could be a win-win night for you!

Sounds good. Go Canes!!

GTsetGO
11-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Sounds good. Go Canes!!

I am hoping you win this one SJ. It's not that i don't like you mark, but i have to root for tech to lose. :D

acruce
11-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Great team. You got beat by the best team in college football. Texas Tech is unbelievably good.

Tech. does have a great team this year. They have Oklahoma coming up in the next week or two. Should be a great game.

JaVeCa
11-12-2008, 10:18 PM
http://www.enlighted.com/media/ttu/logox400.gif

silentjon
11-13-2008, 08:48 PM
How about those Canes!! Great defensive effort.

GTsetGO
11-13-2008, 09:10 PM

they owned that 3rd quarter

Mark C
11-14-2008, 05:10 AM

Great defense on both sides. I was actually surprised Miami got within 10 yds of the endzone and had to settle for a field goal 3 times. And I was surprised how fast Miami's defense was. Things are gonna be interesting in the next year or two, so many young teams in the ACC.

But the boneheaded coaches blew the game when the went for it on 4th and 1 on the first drive of the game. I told my wife right then they'd lose by a field goal. I keep holding out hope that maybe, just maybe, we'll eventually lose enough games that way that they'll finally kick the friggin' ball. :fl

A deal's a deal, send me your address and I probably won't send you grape flavored cigars ;)

On another note, does Clemson have a coach yet? They better stop sniffing around Bud Foster, we still need him!

silentjon
11-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Now Miami needs the Tar Heels to lose. Go Terps!!

Rockestone
11-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Don't have a coach yet. But we have it narrowed down to 122 possibilities!! Oh yeah, there's Bud at 38.
:ss

Acutally, I think our Athletic Director is interviewing him in the next couple of days. I don't know much about him, except he done very well there at VT.

Mark C
11-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Now Miami needs the Tar Heels to lose. Go Terps!!

Suppose MD DOES win, and then suppose GT beats Miami.... Both are real possibilities I think. What a mess the ACC will be. I still think the Orange Bowl will be a slaughter no matter which ACC team goes.

Just as long as my son's born BEFORE our bowl game (due 12/27), I'll be a happy man :)

theycallmedan'lboone
11-14-2008, 08:28 AM
I must be out of my mind.

rizzle
11-14-2008, 12:43 PM
You have finally seen the light, young dan'l.
:r

theycallmedan'lboone
11-14-2008, 12:52 PM
glad someone picked up on it.

silentjon
11-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Thank you Maryland!!

Made in Dade
11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Thank you Maryland!!

Amen

If Miami beats GT and N.C. State, they play in the ACC title game. Miami is coming along faster than people thought. This team will compete for a National Title next year.

JE3146
11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
USC TROJANS!!!

http://www.eoregonsports.com/Qstore/uploads/os_building_damn_sign.jpg

:D

chippewastud79
11-16-2008, 01:44 PM
http://www.eoregonsports.com/Qstore/uploads/os_building_damn_sign.jpg

:D

From the "fan" who sat at his apartment while the Beavers upset the number one Trojans. :rolleyes:

elderboy02
11-16-2008, 02:00 PM
1. Cincinnati Bearcats
2. Ohio State Buckeyes

Mark C
11-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Amen

If Miami beats GT and N.C. State, they play in the ACC title game. Miami is coming along faster than people thought. This team will compete for a National Title next year.

Nah. There're at least two problems with that idea [and it's not because I hate Miami ;)]:

1) Miami's defense is still terrible. During the Tech game they flashed up the stat that Miami's opponents scored 25 out of 26 times in the red zone, 21 of those were TDs. A National Title contender needs to do MUCH better than that, I think they're more than a year away.

2) Every team in the ACC is saying the same thing. UNC, VT, Miami, they're all young teams, they're all expecting to be better next year. The teams may be better, but conference games are going to ruin Championship dreams for everyone. I'd expect the ACC Champ to have at least 2 losses, that won't be good enough for a trip to the big game.

I think parity in the ACC is enough to kill any chance of a National Champ from the ACC for the next year or two.

brigey57
11-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I must be out of my mind.

I'm with you, I am out of my mind.:r

brigey57
11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
You have finally seen the light, young dan'l.
:r

There is just one game left to the season that really counts!:lv

gorob23
11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm with the kid...Fight On:salute:

Rob

for a minute I thought that was William Wallace ;)

Made in Dade
11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Nah. There're at least two problems with that idea [and it's not because I hate Miami ;)]:

1) Miami's defense is still terrible. During the Tech game they flashed up the stat that Miami's opponents scored 25 out of 26 times in the red zone, 21 of those were TDs. A National Title contender needs to do MUCH better than that, I think they're more than a year away.

2) Every team in the ACC is saying the same thing. UNC, VT, Miami, they're all young teams, they're all expecting to be better next year. The teams may be better, but conference games are going to ruin Championship dreams for everyone. I'd expect the ACC Champ to have at least 2 losses, that won't be good enough for a trip to the big game.

I think parity in the ACC is enough to kill any chance of a National Champ from the ACC for the next year or two.

I agree with most of what you just said. Remember Miami is still installing a new defense under Bill Young who is one of the best Defensive Cordinators in College Football. Look at what he did for Kansas when he was their DC. Also, they are starting three true freshman on their defense, with as many as six true freshman getting alot of playing time. Next year they will be even better.
Many teams in the ACC are very young, but no more than Miami, they are the youngest team in the country. Lastly, talent. Miami has sick talent. They have some of the best freshman and sophmores in the country. Next year they will be domiant.

silentjon
11-16-2008, 04:33 PM

Miami's defense is terrible? Really? I don't think that is true. Miami's best players are all freshman and sophomores. Not only will Miami's record streak of a having a player drafted in the first-round end this year, but I do not think they will have a single player drafted.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h294/silentjon74/miamigang.jpg

Mark C
11-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Yup, 21 TDs out of 26 attempts is a pretty poor record. And didn't they give up 31 pts to the ACC's favorite whipping boy (Duke)?

But I'll be the first to admit Miami's defense is fast, much more so than VT's O-line as evindent in your picture. They've definitely got promise, but they gotta plug the holes in the red zone before they're a contender.

Rockestone
11-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I will withhold all comments until I know who the coach of Clemson will be next year.

We sure did screw this year's wet dream up!!:fl

JE3146
11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
From the "fan" who sat at his apartment while the Beavers upset the number one Trojans. :rolleyes:

Can't afford regular tickets.

And to get student tickets would have meant standing in line for about 6 hours to get tickets.

:rolleyes:

silentjon
11-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Yup, 21 TDs out of 26 attempts is a pretty poor record. And didn't they give up 31 pts to the ACC's favorite whipping boy (Duke)?

But I'll be the first to admit Miami's defense is fast, much more so than VT's O-line as evindent in your picture. They've definitely got promise, but they gotta plug the holes in the red zone before they're a contender.

Agreed that Miami's red zone defense needs work. But their defense is not terrible: Total Defense Ranking: Miami #8, Virginia Tech #34, Scoring Defense: Miami #15, Virginia Tech #25.

Mark C
11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I never said we were any better ;)

BTW, your DC is 01038555749589484298, sorry for the delay!

rizzle
11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
There is just one game left to the season that really counts!:lv
I am happy to say that for us, not so much!
But we've definitely got a score to settle now don't we!!
:bx

silentjon
11-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Any Yellow Jackets fans here?

Mark C
11-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Any Yellow Jackets fans here?

I am this weekend! But no more betting for me, seems to be bad luck for the team! :ss

silentjon
11-20-2008, 05:20 AM
I am this weekend! But no more betting for me, seems to be bad luck for the team! :ss

Go Blue Devils!! ;)

longknocker
11-20-2008, 06:45 AM
I am happy to say that for us, not so much!
But we've definitely got a score to settle now don't we!!
:bx:tu:D Roll, Tide!!!

Mark C
11-21-2008, 07:35 AM
But their defense is not terrible: Total Defense Ranking: Miami #8, Scoring Defense: Miami #15.

I think those numbers will be changing a bit after last night. I completely forgot it was a Thursday game, I'm ticked I missed it.

So now we could very well have a 4-way tie in the division. How do you decide that?

Mark C
11-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Found it:
------------------------------------
ACC Football Tiebreaker Policy
The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship will be decided by a game between the Atlantic and Coastal Division Champions. The team in each division with the highest percentage of wins during all regular-season Conference competition shall be declared the division champion. If two or more teams are tied with the highest percentage of wins, they shall be declared division co-champions. Division standings will be calculated on a percentage basis, using only those Conference games which are a part of the regular rotating schedule. In the event of division co-champions, the following tie-breaker procedure will be used to determine that divisions’ representative to the championship game.

A. Two-Team Tie

Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
Records of the tied teams within the division.
Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional). Conference record and proceeding though the division. Multiple ties within the division broken from first to last.
Overall record versus all common non-divisional opponents.
Combined record versus all non-divisional teams.
Record versus common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the end of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game.
The representative shall be chosen by a draw.

B. Three (or More) Team Tie
(Once tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker format is used)

Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
Records of the tied teams within the division.
Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional or conference) record, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last.
Overall record for non-divisional teams.
Combined record versus all common non-divisional teams.
Record versus common non-divisional with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional record) and proceeding through the other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within the division.
The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the conclusion of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the ACC Championship Game.
The representative shall be chosen by a draw.

silentjon
11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I think those numbers will be changing a bit after last night. I completely forgot it was a Thursday game, I'm ticked I missed it.

So now we could very well have a 4-way tie in the division. How do you decide that?

That was a brutal game. I knew from GT's first drive and the success they had passing, it was going to be a long night. With ACC this year, nothing surprises me.