PDA

View Full Version : Extensive Aging and the Milder Cigar...

Martel
10-28-2010, 06:03 PM
I was perusing a copy of CA from April in the barber shop today. In the section where they do the vintage cigar ratings, I noticed the following review of a Dominican Davidoff from 1996, which was rated at 90 points:

Davidoff Special B (1996)

An early success story for this brand’s move to the Dominican Republic. This tapered lonsdale, which is not in production any longer, is very fresh with notes of dried flowers and cloves. Medium bodied, with a lot of refinement and a perfect draw. —James Suckling

I was surprised to see such enthusiasm for a nearly 15 year old Dominican cigar that was not a powerhouse to begin with. I would expect this cigar to be a total airball by now. Has anyone ever smoked a similar type of cigar at such an advanced age? If so, how was it?

Cheers,
G

whodeeni
10-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I know a guy who smoked a 90yo unmentionable and said it had great
flavors w/ a spice/pepper kick at the very end!:banger

njstone
10-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I can't speak as much on "extensive aging," but I know from experience that more moderate age (2-5 years) can add a tremendous amount of flavor to a milder cigar. In fact, I'm willing to state for the record that I think the idea that milder cigars don't age well is a myth. The change may not be as dramatic as with a cigar that started out very spicey, but it can be great.

Just for one example, my Tobacco Baez from 2-years-ago (admittedly not a lot of age/rest) are getting significantly better than the fresh ones I've had. They are actually MORE spicy and have a lot more flavor.

I also have some CAO Gold from 2002/3, and those are also much nice imvho than they are new. They may have lost a bit of nuance, but they buttery core on those is just awesome.

LasciviousXXX
10-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I can attest to the fact that many milder cigars age fantastically when stored and kept properly. A testament to this fact are the Cuban Davidoff's from the 70's and early 80's. I have had ones that are fantastic and absolutely delicious.

I would go into more detail but I'm supposed to be working LOL

nick2021
10-29-2010, 12:37 AM
I can't speak as much on "extensive aging," but I know from experience that more moderate age (2-5 years) can add a tremendous amount of flavor to a milder cigar. In fact, I'm willing to state for the record that I think the idea that milder cigars don't age well is a myth. The change may not be as dramatic as with a cigar that started out very spicey, but it can be great.

Just for one example, my Tobacco Baez from 2-years-ago (admittedly not a lot of age/rest) are getting significantly better than the fresh ones I've had. They are actually MORE spicy and have a lot more flavor.

I also have some CAO Gold from 2002/3, and those are also much nice imvho than they are new. They may have lost a bit of nuance, but they buttery core on those is just awesome.

A lot of people have said the opposite regarding the aging of mild cigars...interesting to see the different responses in this thread!

Bill86
10-29-2010, 01:25 AM
I can attest to the fact that many milder cigars age fantastically when stored and kept properly. A testament to this fact are the Cuban Davidoff's from the 70's and early 80's. I have had ones that are fantastic and absolutely delicious.

I would go into more detail but I'm supposed to be working LOL

Working is overrated....Man I wish I had a Davidoff that old O_O....Man lucky people. There's a million reasons I wish I grew up about 20-30 years earlier.......the music was Actually good too!

kaisersozei
10-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Working is overrated....Man I wish I had a Davidoff that old O_O....Man lucky people. There's a million reasons I wish I grew up about 20-30 years earlier.......the music was Actually good too!

The good news is that the music, you can still get today.

Those cigars, not so much. ;)

sikk50
10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I can't attest to this as cigars are fully aged at 3 years....I would never let a cigar age past that.

:r

benedic08
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I can't attest to this as cigars are fully aged at 3 years....I would never let a cigar age past that.

:r

You cant break the rule of 3's.....
:r:r:r

ashtonlady
10-29-2010, 12:51 PM
One of the best cigars I smoked was an Ashton Cabinet #1 10 years of age on it. Mild cigars seem to smooth out, not loose there flavor.

T.G
10-29-2010, 12:58 PM
I have some N/C Zino panatellas from around that same era, phenomenal cigar, even today.