PDA

View Full Version : Purified water

MICSTOGIE
10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Before you say it...yes I did do a search but didn't truly find an answer.

I have a whole house water filter and a reverse osmosis system (to my refrigerator) and I would think that it would be very close to distilled water. Would this be an alternative to distilled water?

Emjaysmash
10-28-2010, 09:43 AM
From what I can tell, the difference between purified and distilled is very little.

However, since your purified water is coming from the fridge, it may not be as purified as you think. Totally purified water is not good for the body when consumed often, as it provides no new minerals to your system and can leech the minerals from your body. I'm going to assume that if there was any oversight on your purified water to your fridge then your filter may not filter out as many minerals as you would think.

replicant_argent
10-28-2010, 09:54 AM
From what I can tell, the difference between purified and distilled is very little.

However, since your purified water is coming from the fridge, it may not be as purified as you think. Totally purified water is not good for the body when consumed often, as it provides no new minerals to your system and can leech the minerals from your body. I'm going to assume that if there was any oversight on your purified water to your fridge then your filter may not filter out as many minerals as you would think.

A bit of a fallacy there, but we have gone over this before, and it seems fairly prevalent.

Properly maintained and functioning RO water from your fridge, assuming a clean "post" filter in your fridge doesn't contaminate the product water from your unit (assuming the unit is operating at an acceptable rejection rate and TDS levels are acceptable, the system has been sanitized and maintained properly) will be fine.

There is a lot of snake oil and misinformation out there, but having been ceritified (albeit long ago) with the Water Quality Association ( http://www.wqa.org ), I have seen this type of conversation many times.

kydsid
10-28-2010, 10:12 AM
why would you want to drink distilled water? but yes an ro system is the closest thing to distilled.
Posted via Mobile Device

replicant_argent
10-28-2010, 10:14 AM
why would you want to drink distilled water? but yes an ro system is the closest thing to distilled.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am guessing since it is in the accessory forum, he is asking about it regarding his humi.

MICSTOGIE
10-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I am guessing since it is in the accessory forum, he is asking about it regarding his humi.

You are correct! Would RO water be a replacement for distilled water

Emjaysmash
10-28-2010, 10:24 AM
A bit of a fallacy there, but we have gone over this before, and it seems fairly prevalent.

Properly maintained and functioning RO water from your fridge, assuming a clean "post" filter in your fridge doesn't contaminate the product water from your unit (assuming the unit is operating at an acceptable rejection rate and TDS levels are acceptable, the system has been sanitized and maintained properly) will be fine.

There is a lot of snake oil and misinformation out there, but having been ceritified (albeit long ago) with the Water Quality Association ( http://www.wqa.org ), I have seen this type of conversation many times.

Thanks for the info pete!

So, can he use his fridge water in his humi?

bobarian
10-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Distilled water runs about $0.99 a gallon. Once a year I splurge. :tu

PeteSB75
10-28-2010, 11:17 AM

You realize that once you open your distilled water, it starts to pick up impurities from the air and is no longer pure distilled water, right?

aich75013
10-28-2010, 11:30 AM
You realize that once you open your distilled water, it starts to pick up impurities from the air and is no longer pure distilled water, right?

I'm assuming most of us don't keep our cigars in a clean room either. That same air touches your cigars when you open your humi.

kydsid
10-28-2010, 11:44 AM
no ro water should not be used as a replacement for distilled. there are many things an ro system does not remove from the water. even year old distilled in a closed container should have less impurities than distilled
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

$0.99? WOW! Big Balla!

replicant_argent
10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
no ro water should not be used as a replacement for distilled. there are many things an ro system does not remove from the water. even year old distilled in a closed container should have less impurities than distilled
Posted via Mobile Device

well.... for this application...

Ugh... not gonna bother... again...
I won't respond to these anymore.

If it makes you feel better, use some distilled water, DI, shark piss, sauteed baby vomit, etc.

dwoodward
10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
The whole distilled water debate is an interesting one. I use distilled water personally because that is tried and prove to work just fine. However my friend's wife has some pet toads and I was running to the store one day and she asked me to pick up some Spring Water for her toads, and explained that the guy at the pet store said that Spring Water was a higher purity than just typical distilled water.

What is correct? Who knows, it can probably be put up for debate. And with that, I actually have a water tester that tests for parts per million of impurities in water. Maybe I should do a test lol.

BloodSpite
10-28-2010, 12:08 PM
well.... for this application...

Ugh... not gonna bother... again...
I won't respond to these anymore.

If it makes you feel better, use some distilled water, DI, shark piss, sauteed baby vomit, etc.

Actually I'm interested for what its worth.

I don't have RO system. Just a simple filtration system for the entire house. However I know my water gets some sulfur odor so I've never bothered using tap for that reason.

OLS
10-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Eh-hehehehehehe.:):rolleyes:

wayner123
10-28-2010, 12:29 PM
The whole distilled water debate is an interesting one. I use distilled water personally because that is tried and prove to work just fine. However my friend's wife has some pet toads and I was running to the store one day and she asked me to pick up some Spring Water for her toads, and explained that the guy at the pet store said that Spring Water was a higher purity than just typical distilled water.

What is correct? Who knows, it can probably be put up for debate. And with that, I actually have a water tester that tests for parts per million of impurities in water. Maybe I should do a test lol.

I believe we CAN know. Here is a great write-up on the matter:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/distilled-water-vs-spring-water.html

And like Bob said, it's $1 for a gallon. :=:

OLS
10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
the guy at the pet store said that Spring Water was a higher purity than just typical distilled water.

Nope, and that's why he works at the pet store. If he would take some night classes he might
be able to work his way up to gopher at a tire shop. Distilled water SHOULD be water molecules
and that's it. Everything that isn't water should be left in the boiler or still. Spring water contains
whatever it came out of the ground with, unless it is filtered further, or even intensely filtered
further. But in terms of PURITY, distilled should win everytime. That's why it is used in labs and
stuff. It's water and ONLY water and will not contaminate tests with other crap. Even the best
filters and membranes SHOULD not be able to reach the purity of distilled water.

Denigration of pet store employees is not the direct intention of this reply. Intelligence level is
used for demonstration and hyperbole purposes only.

MICSTOGIE
10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
So it looks like I should go out and get some distilled water. Oh well, at least it was a good discussion.

dwoodward
10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Well here are my test results.. I did 3 samples from each source, and displayed the results accordingly...

TDS: Total Dissolved Solid

Tap Water:
From Faucet: 230, 230, 240

Spring Water:
Ice Mountain: 150, 160, 160

Reverse Osmosis
HyVee: 20, 20, 20

Distilled Water:
Great Value: 0, 1, 1

wayner123
10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
So it looks like I should go out and get some distilled water. Oh well, at least it was a good discussion.

In what application are you using it?

MICSTOGIE
10-28-2010, 12:43 PM
In what application are you using it?

To use in a humidor.

wayner123
10-28-2010, 12:46 PM
To use in a humidor.

I mean for a sponge, gel crystals, active humidification, shilala beads, RH beads, etc?

And let me state that the article for distilled vs spring water is not comprehensive and does have some misinformation about distilled water leeching chemicals from your body. But it gives a good side by side of what each type of water is.

Here is another good article which has peer reviewed and scientific research references to back up each thought:

http://www.steamdistiller.com/distil.htm

BC-Axeman
10-28-2010, 01:31 PM

+++1
RO water is very good and can be just as pure as distilled. A TDS of 20 is very low. There is nothing wrong with drinking very pure H2O. You should not be relying on impure water for your trace minerals. Try eating good food for that. I, too, have heard this discussion many times and have to wonder how the "pure water leaches the minerals" fallacy even got so prevalent in the first place. It's true that it can, but not in a normal body. I and my family drink RO-DI (de-ionized) water and have for many years. This is more pure than distilled. I water the houseplants with it as it doesn't spot leaves or crust the soil. I fill the fish tanks with it. I make coffee and tea with it because it doesn't crust up the pots. I use it in my humidors. I top off batteries with it. I never have to wonder what's in it.

Skywalker
10-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm thirsty!:dr

pektel
10-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Nope, and that's why he works at the pet store. If he would take some night classes he might
be able to work his way up to gopher at a tire shop. Distilled water SHOULD be water molecules
and that's it. Everything that isn't water should be left in the boiler or still. Spring water contains
whatever it came out of the ground with, unless it is filtered further, or even intensely filtered
further. But in terms of PURITY, distilled should win everytime. That's why it is used in labs and
stuff. It's water and ONLY water and will not contaminate tests with other crap. Even the best
filters and membranes SHOULD not be able to reach the purity of distilled water.

+1 to this. This is the reason I use distilled water for any diluting of chemicals/cleaners used when detailing.

BC-Axeman
10-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Distilled water could have distillable solvents in it, or any volatile compound. Activated charcoal will take these out. DI water is used in the electronic industry because it is more pure than distilled water. It is also used in some car wash facilities because it doesn't spot when it dries.

ecenur
10-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Before you say it...yes I did do a search but didn't truly find an answer.

I have a whole house water filter and a reverse osmosis system (to my refrigerator) and I would think that it would be very close to distilled water. Would this be an alternative to distilled water?

I don't think there is any water that can be distilled enough however, yes it would be very close.

Bill86
10-29-2010, 11:32 PM
To me when distilled water costs like 90 cents at walmart for a gallon....I don't look for alternatives. But thats just me. :2

icehog3
10-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Can you ask the guy at the pet store if there is a lower risk for cancer when comparing cigar smoking to cigarette smoking?