PDA

View Full Version : Moisture Sensor for Humidors

timberham
10-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Hello all!

I do not mean to post to this forum with unwanted spam. My name is Tim Hamerly and I am a senior working on a thesis project in which I have developed a moisture sensor that could be implemented into the humidors. I am currently in the process of doing market research, as you may have guessed.

If you have just a few minutes to fill out this survey, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I do not mean to post this as spam. I am truly trying to develop this product and could really use your help to determine if this product is worth while to the smoking community.

Any questions or concerns can be sent to my email address; thamerly@carthage.edu, and I will address them as soon as possible. Any advice can also be submitted to me through email and would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you for all your help!

Link to survey:

https://spreadsheets...La3AtLTloNHc6MA

688sonarmen
10-27-2010, 10:28 AM
I think this has been done before and is called a hydrometer. Also the link does not work.

icehog3
10-27-2010, 10:42 AM
the link does not work.

Yuppers.

Nefari0us
10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I think this has been done before and is called a hygrometer. Also the link does not work.

Fixed it for ya ;)

688sonarmen
10-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Fixed it for ya ;)

Screw 60-70% humidity, I just dunk them in water. Hydrometer:lr

Subvet642
10-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Screw 60-70% humidity, I just dunk them in water. Hydrometer:lr

And that oil you see on the wrapper is diesel. :D

LostAbbott
10-27-2010, 12:02 PM

I prefer natural gas. It gives me a cleaner burn.:tu

T.G
10-27-2010, 12:07 PM

:dr:dr:dr:dr

hotreds
10-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I think this has been done before and is called a hydrometer. Also the link does not work.

No point in re-inventing the wheel, methinks......

wayner123
10-28-2010, 07:38 AM
If this is truly NOT spam, there are various ways of measuring moisture. If he is trying to make a more accessible vapor pressure deficit (VPD) meter, then that would be great.

688sonarmen
10-28-2010, 07:45 AM
He could be making moisture sensing cheese for all we know.

Subvet642
10-28-2010, 09:02 AM
If this is truly NOT spam, there are various ways of measuring moisture. If he is trying to make a more accessible vapor pressure deficit (VPD) meter, then that would be great.

You're wicked smaht! :D

688sonarmen
10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
You're wicked smaht! :D

Yeah, sounds like nuc talk:D

Subvet642
10-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah, sounds like nuc talk:D

Hard to tell; I don't speak nuc. :sh :r

timberham
10-28-2010, 03:41 PM

This is NOT spam and yes I am trying to make a new meter, although I was unaware of the hydrometer. This device could also double as a moisture release device and slowly release moisture into the air AND warn you when it gets low. This would be an extremely cheap device to make as well, which is my other selling point.

Thanks for all the input everyone, is the link still not working by the way? If it isn't, here it is again.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?formkey=dDBJVmxZUXE4RkduS05La3AtLTloN Hc6MA

longknocker
10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
This is NOT spam and yes I am trying to make a new meter, although I was unaware of the hydrometer. This device could also double as a moisture release device and slowly release moisture into the air AND warn you when it gets low. This would be an extremely cheap device to make as well, which is my other selling point.

Thanks for all the input everyone, is the link still not working by the way? If it isn't, here it is again.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?formkey=dDBJVmxZUXE4RkduS05La3AtLTloN Hc6MA

Working! Input Sent!:tu

Nefari0us
10-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Input sent as well!

bobarian
10-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I dont see how your product would be any different than a hygrometer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrometer If you are planning on an active humidification device, this has been done before also. See Cigar Oasis, Moist-N-Aire, Humidification beads or Propylene Glycol. :2

T.G
10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
This is NOT spam and yes I am trying to make a new meter, although I was unaware of the hydrometer.

Hydrometer (with a "d") tests the specific gravity of a fluid - for example, the bulb tester with the floating balls to check your automotive coolant mixture or one for testing. Sometimes they show lab grade versions of them in a quick flash as part of a wine or beer company commercial (I think I've seen them used in some Sam Adams and EJ Gallo commercials). It really wouldn't be much use to a cigar humidor unless it was filled with water.

A hygrometer (with a "g") measures the relative humidity.

This is NOT spam and yes I am trying to make a new meter... This device could also double as a moisture release device and slowly release moisture into the air AND warn you when it gets low. This would be an extremely cheap device to make as well, which is my other selling point.

I already have one of those. It's called an active humidifier. Some of the companies that already manufacture and/or market them: Cigar Oasis, Hydra, Humi-Care, Habitat Monitor, Bob Stabell's Set-n-Forget, etc.

They can be had for about $60 and up depending on the manufacturer IIRC.

It's working now, your original post had a truncated link. Thanks.

timberham
10-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Working! Input Sent!:tu

Thanks!

timberham
10-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Input sent as well!

Thanks!

timberham
10-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Hydrometer (with a "d") tests the specific gravity of a fluid - for example, the bulb tester with the floating balls to check your automotive coolant mixture or one for testing. Sometimes they show lab grade versions of them in a quick flash as part of a wine or beer company commercial (I think I've seen them used in some Sam Adams and EJ Gallo commercials). It really wouldn't be much use to a cigar humidor unless it was filled with water.

A hygrometer (with a "g") measures the relative humidity.

I already have one of those. It's called an active humidifier. Some of the companies that already manufacture them: Cigar Oasis, Hydra, Humi-Care, Habitat Monitor, Bob Stabell's Set-n-Forget, etc.

They can be had for about $60 and up depending on the manufacturer IIRC.

It's working now, your original post had a truncated link. Thanks.

Thanks!

Also, I have done a little research into a few of those manufacturers. Mine is a little different then those are, and would also be cheaper and I believe a little more accurate and without a doubt more reliable.

And sorry, I guess I also just skipped over the "g" when google'ing haha. Thanks for correcting me though!

T.G
10-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks!

Also, I have done a little research into a few of those manufacturers. Mine is a little different then those are, and would also be cheaper and I believe a little more accurate and without a doubt more reliable.

And sorry, I guess I also just skipped over the "g" when google'ing haha. Thanks for correcting me though!

Some of those units are pretty accurate, others, eh, notsomuch.

One thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturing costs of the other units is not necessarily the driving force behind their price tags, in most cases, it's really only a (small) part of it. A lower manufacturing cost for your product might or might not yield a significantly lower price point when selling, also, how low do you want your profit margins to be.

I'd definitely be interested to see if/when it comes to fruition as a product in the marketspace.

Regardless, best of luck with your endeavor.

Wharf Rat
10-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks!

BTW, if you are thinking of making your hygrometer out of horse hair, its already been done.

I'm an engineer with patents and the like. PM me and I'll try to help out

Bob

markem
10-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Cheaper and more reliable with better accuracy would be a big win, I think. Particularly if you are able to reasonably incorporate an alarm functionality for RH out of spec and/or low reservoir if an active system.

Lots of places need this type of system, not just cigar users, so I hope that you are thinking much broader. Also, didn't you put out a survey regarding boats as well?

timberham
10-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Some of those units are pretty accurate, others, eh, notsomuch.

One thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturing costs of the other units is not necessarily the driving force behind their price tags, in most cases, it's really only a (small) part of it. A lower manufacturing cost for your product might or might not yield a significantly lower price point when selling, also, how low do you want your profit margins to be.

I'd definitely be interested to see if/when it comes to fruition as a product in the marketspace.

Regardless, best of luck with your endeavor.

Margins aren't really important to me, I'm more interested in getting it out there. The next step will be to implement this into other places, houses and boats are on that list. I was also thinking of trying to market this for wine coolers/fridges because it won't fault with condensation. And I'm in the process of prototyping it now. Hoping to have a working prototype bye by the end of the semester.

timberham
10-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Cheaper and more reliable with better accuracy would be a big win, I think. Particularly if you are able to reasonably incorporate an alarm functionality for RH out of spec and/or low reservoir if an active system.

Lots of places need this type of system, not just cigar users, so I hope that you are thinking much broader. Also, didn't you put out a survey regarding boats as well?

Haha, yes actually, I am currently looking at boats as well, and houses and thinking about wine coolers too. A boat survey is currently out right now so I'm looking at multiple markets right now.

timberham
10-28-2010, 06:49 PM
BTW, if you are thinking of making your hygrometer out of horse hair, its already been done.

I'm an engineer with patents and the like. PM me and I'll try to help out

Bob

Hey thanks. The actual moisture "stuff" is already patented, the sensor itself may or may not be patentable yet. Regardless I'm trying to get some grant money from the gov. But thanks for the help and I still may contact you with some further questions!

timberham
11-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Keep the feedback coming!

Barcode
11-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Wireless would be nice between the sensor and the main unit if you are going digital. That way we could have the sensor in the cooler and not have to open the lid to see the reading.

timberham
11-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Wireless would be nice between the sensor and the main unit if you are going digital. That way we could have the sensor in the cooler and not have to open the lid to see the reading.

I'm thinking I would use RFID so that it has more specific ties to a device. But yes, the device would have some sort of monitoring system.

icehog3
11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Closed as there is a new thread started by the OP.