PDA

View Full Version : Need Cuban recommendations.

DaBear
10-26-2010, 02:10 PM
So I have a bet going with my dad for the NC State-FSU game(He's an FSU grad and I go to NC State) with the winner gettin a cigar of their choice(nothing too expensive as we both know I'm the stereotypical poor college student). My dad also happens to travel overseas once or twice a month for his job, so he can easily come by some Cubans.

So what are some good, preferably inexpensive, Cubans in your opinion?

Lumpold
10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Define inexpensive? and where does your dad travel to?

galaga
10-26-2010, 02:18 PM
So I have a bet going with my dad for the NC State-FSU game(He's an FSU grad and I go to NC State) with the winner gettin a cigar of their choice(nothing too expensive as we both know I'm the stereotypical poor college student). My dad also happens to travel overseas once or twice a month for his job, so he can easily come by some Cubans.

So what are some good, preferably inexpensive, Cubans in your opinion?

So what are you going to buy him???

You might try any corona or petite corona.

You can get some good inexpensive smokes by getting a machine made, hand finished cigar...Try Partagas, Upmann, Romeo y Julietta, or Fonseca.

DaBear
10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
I was thinking of just any old RJ or Partagas since I've at least heard of them and tried some of their NCs.

And as far as "inexpensive": under $10

He goes all over the place. Sunday he's going to Uganda, but most of the time he goes to South America as he's fluent in Spanish. He works with the Peace Corps Office of Criminal Investigation, so basically anywhere there is a Peace Corps member, he has a shot of going to.

And I don't have to worry about him winning as NC State's gonna smash FSU.

bigswol2
10-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Tell him U want a RASS

Lumpold
10-26-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm assuming you dad has bought cigars abroad before? Honestly, I can't really comment on the prices in South America or Uganda... but, I'd say:
PSD4 (A tubo would be more)
Partagas Short
Partagas 8-9-8 would be just over $10

RyJ Cedros de Luxe #1, #2 or #3
RyJ Tubos #1, #2 or #3

I've just had a Cedros de Luxe #2 I really enjoyed, but overall I prefer the Partagas lines!

guitar4001
10-26-2010, 03:25 PM
i'd just give your dad the $10 and let him buy whatever he pleases. If the Pack pull ou the win, then I would request your favorite size of Vega Robaina.

Beklage
10-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Well if I lived in say Canada ;) I would say a Boli PC

SouthernSmoke
10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Well if I lived in say Canada ;) I would say a Boli PC

+1 on the Boli PC

RASS or RASCC are other great options.

Bill86
10-27-2010, 12:47 AM
I really enjoyed the RyJ Short churchills. I smoked a monte 4 yesterday and it was pretty damn :dr. I'll be smoking a Boli PC tomorrow.

maverickdrinker
10-27-2010, 12:59 AM
cohiba robusto

Garbandz
10-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Plus one on the RyJ short churchill,amazing smoke,also the Monte #4 is a classic......

Stevez
10-27-2010, 07:45 AM
cohiba robusto

I second the Cohiba Robusto.

Cornrow_Wallis
10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't really have anything to recommend, but...

F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E
Florida State, Florida State, Florida State,
Scalp 'Em!

njstone
10-28-2010, 07:53 PM
I'll assume he's buying at a Duty Free shop or something, where it will almost certainly be cheaper than a store.

Though I'm a noob to these as well, the main question is how often does your Dad enjoy cigars? If he's not a big smoker, than I'd go with something like an R&J Short Churchill. If he can handle slightly stronger cigars, I'd vote for the Bolivar Royal Corona (a robusto) or Petite Corona. The Monte #4 is good too, though I've heard a lot of stories of inconsistency. You can also go Cohiba, but they are dang expensive. The Bolivar will be the cheapest of these options most likely, and my personal favorite marca.

Cornrow_Wallis
10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Christian Ponder can go f.ck himself.

pnoon
10-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't really have anything to recommend, but...

F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E
Florida State, Florida State, Florida State,
Scalp 'Em!

Great.
And this has what relevance to the thread?

icehog3
10-29-2010, 12:36 AM

Welcome to the Asylum.

DaBear
10-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Great.

The reason for starting this thread was a bet on the NC State-FSU game, I'm the NC State boy and my Dad(actually both my parents) went to FSU.

Anyways, it was a dang good game. Though the fans in the FSU section were starting to piss me off when they started jeering our BAND as they were coming on for halftime. Oh and they tried to start a fight with some of our students(why the university decided to sit the away fans and the students next to each other is beyond me).

pnoon
10-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I see the reason for the thread, as you aptly titled it, as a request for feedback about Cuban cigars.

:2
Posted via Mobile Device

DaBear
10-29-2010, 12:37 PM
True, but the whole thing depended on the game last night, so going into a little banter about the game is no problem in my eyes

Cornrow_Wallis
10-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Great.
The whole point of the thread was based on the outcome of the game. My comments weren't very helpful, but I thought they were fairly relevant. As an FSU undergrad, I was pretty fired up by the end of the game.

I apologize for the thread hijack, and congrats on winning the smoke. :ss

ade06
10-29-2010, 03:27 PM
For NC State fans, I recommend Guantanameras. Only the best for you guys.

Go ECU!!! (Sorry I offer no real recommendation other than maybe your tried and true Monti #2).

icehog3
10-29-2010, 04:30 PM
True, but the whole thing depended on the game last night, so going into a little banter about the game is no problem in my eyes

I agree on the "banter" part, Bear...not so much on the content that another member posted though.

md4958
10-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Well, getting back on topic, there are a bunch of great recommendations here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2412

DaBear
10-29-2010, 05:37 PM
^Gah. No access yet, oh well, guess I'll have to lurk around here some more(as if I don't do that enough)

And thanks to everyone thats given me some recommendations