PDA

View Full Version : Oliva V Torpedo

Nathan King
10-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Oliva Serie V Torpedo

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/NathanAKing/Cigar/OlivaV.jpg

Overall Appearance and Presentation - 18/20 points

This torpedo is a rich chocolate brown with an attractive sheen from a moderate amount of oil in the wrapper. The cap cuts effortlessly revealing an excellent draw even before lighting. The golden and chocolate colored band is large and attractive - and compliments the rich coloring of the wrapper leaf nicely.

Lighting and Burning Properties - 14/15 points

The cigar lit easily and burned very evenly throughout the entire cigar with not touch-ups or relights necessary. This cigar is packed well - the white ash held tightly to the cigar until about one and one half inches long.

Construction - 28/30 points

The draw of the cigar never changed or became restricted throughout the duration of the burn. The cap held in place and kept its shape nicely even after becoming quite moist. No soft spots or obvious defects in the wrapper manifested themselves. This Oliva is nicely rolled.

Taste - 33/35 points

The dominant flavor in the first third of the cigar is black pepper with some secondary notes of nuts and wood. When the middle of the cigar is reached it really matures and comes into its own. The last two thirds of this cigar are really a treat. A nice balance of complex flavors that tingle the palate jump out. The once dominant pepper notes become secondary, while coffee and leather take over. A hint of spice is still noted. Again, the flavor changes in the last third. The cigar takes on a pleasant caramel and chocolate flavor that compliments and balances out the coffee and leather nicely.

Total Score - 93/100 | Excellent!

I will be stocking my humidor with a box of these Serie V Torpedoes in the near future. I suggest you do the same, as the experience borders on epic.

longknocker
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Nice Review! My Favorite Oliva!:tu

Beklage
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Looks tasty, I need to grab the torpedo size and try it I have only had one of there stogies before and it was good.

dwoodward
10-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Still have been wanting to try one. Someday i'll buy a box and try a few.

kelmac07
10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Nice Review! My Favorite Oliva!:tu

X2!! :tu :tu Well not entirely true...the Blue Cloth band is my all time favorite Oliva. :D

forgop
10-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I really like this cigar myself, but I just wonder how much existing reviews influence a reviewer to use much of the same scoring criteria to match existing reviews from the "pros" so to speak. Nice review.

Ogre
10-25-2010, 04:11 PM
This is one of my top 5 sticks. Great cigar.

MiamiE
10-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I've had a few of these and everytime they got a tar buildup. Really good until the tar shows up. :(

Nathan King
10-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I really like this cigar myself, but I just wonder how much existing reviews influence a reviewer to use much of the same scoring criteria to match existing reviews from the "pros" so to speak. Nice review.

Honestly, I really haven't sought out any reviews of this cigar yet. I decided to review this cigar because I smoked a "V" several weeks ago as my very first cigar and loved it.

I've had a few of these and everytime they got a tar buildup. Really good until the tar shows up. :(

I have only had two (a double toro and this torpedo) and have not run into this issue.

EricF
10-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Great review! I love the V series , but I like the robusto vitola better.

Louistogies
10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Great review!

forgop
10-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Honestly, I really haven't sought out any reviews of this cigar yet. I decided to review this cigar because I smoked a "V" several weeks ago as my very first cigar and loved it.

I wasn't suggesting that you had-I just wonder sometimes when scores come in so close together. Obviously, it's a good sign that it's a good cigar with lots of consistency. On the other hand, people that have seen these reviews before smoking it themselves will have that expectation of what it'll be like before they even smoke it.

I smoked another one last week and enjoyed it.

hscmit
10-25-2010, 05:31 PM
nice review

I agree with the masses here as it is a good cigar in my book