PDA

View Full Version : Finally had a decent Fuente....

bigdix
10-25-2010, 03:00 AM
I had only had a couple...ever. So I wrote most of them off as I didn't really like them. Thanks to Andy (SterlingCigarMan) I finally had one I liked. Pretty sure it was a Hemingway Classic. Thanks Andy!! You've revived them!! :tu
Can't wait to try the Opus Mark sent.

Did I mention: :l

dwoodward
10-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Haven't had the Hemingway Classic, but I love the Hemingway Short Story's

Coach Deg
10-25-2010, 04:02 AM
8-5-8 is my favorite Fuente!

Chingas
10-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Dan. How about you list the ones you didn't like. Fuente has a pretty big line up Brother and a lot, in my opinion, are good. Maybe we can make some suggestions for you.

smokinpeace
10-25-2010, 05:52 AM
You need to try an Anejo. One of my absolute favorites. Look around for them in about a month.

smelvis
10-25-2010, 06:11 AM
I also have found few of the upper end Fuentes I did not like! Most Opus X, The Anjeo line especially the shark. The WOAM so many to name that I love!

Bunker
10-25-2010, 06:23 AM
There are a lot of dogs in the lower end of the Fuente price range (unfortunately the range I am usually in) which has kept me from pulling the trigger on the high-end sticks (I have yet to smoke an Opus).

Everytime I decide to spend $10 or more on a cigar I end up with a Padron Anniversary or My Father as I know I will enjoy them.

I have not given up on AF though and put a few Anejo's in the humi last week.

MiamiE
10-25-2010, 06:28 AM
The Anejo's are pretty good. Especially the 46. Some of the Opus X are really good.

smelvis
10-25-2010, 06:36 AM
(I have yet to smoke an Opus).

The hell you say. :D PM me your address bro after all the work you done, were going to fix that :tu

neoflex
10-25-2010, 06:40 AM
I also have found few of the upper end Fuentes I did not like! Most Opus X, The Anjeo line especially the shark. The WOAM so many to name that I love!

Dave I used to feel the same way about Opus until I started aging them. Give them 2-3 years and they are absolutely amazing. This is coming from a guy that used to say that Opus was just an over priced turd rocket and to be honest, when smoked fresh I still feel the same way. I had smoked a few with 3 years on them a while back and they were downright some of the best smokes I have ever had to date and ever since than I let them sit before firing them up.
For me there is not a whole lot in the Fuente line that blow me away although their Sungrown line is one of my favorites. Other than the Sungrowns I usually only smoke Anejo, Opus, Work of Art/Short Story, Hemingways(On occasion) and the Tampa Sweethearts bundles(Good Winter time smoke).

HollywoodQue
10-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Dave I used to feel the same way about Opus until I started aging them. Give them 2-3 years and they are absolutely amazing. This is coming from a guy that used to say that Opus was just an over priced turd rocket and to be honest, when smoked fresh I still feel the same way. I had smoked a few with 3 years on them a while back and they were downright some of the best smokes I have ever had to date and ever since than I let them sit before firing them up.
For me there is not a whole lot in the Fuente line that blow me away although their Sungrown line is one of my favorites. Other than the Sungrowns I usually only smoke Anejo, Opus, Work of Art/Short Story, Hemingways(On occasion) and the Tampa Sweethearts bundles(Good Winter time smoke).

Thanks for the suggestions:tu

bigdix
10-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Dan. How about you list the ones you didn't like. Fuente has a pretty big line up Brother and a lot, in my opinion, are good. Maybe we can make some suggestions for you.

To be honest I'm probably smoking crap. The labels are all too decieving. Never had an Opus, never had an Anejo. For all I know I'm "Captain Curlyhead". I got ahold of an 858 because they seemed to be all the buzz. SUCKED! Maybe because it wasn't a sungrown...I dunno. The other few I'd had were given to me by an older buddy of mine that I work with...for all I know they'd been in his "humi" for the last decade. I have no idea what they were. Either way....this one was pretty tasty! :tu I generally slide towards the Nic side of the house, but my penchant for the VSG's should've clued me in.
Mark from Tower sent me an Opus recently and now I can't wait to smoke it.

gijoey959
10-25-2010, 07:28 AM
I've not had an Opus or any of the expensive stuff, but I've had a few 8-5-8's and I thought they were excellent :tu

CigarNut
10-25-2010, 07:46 AM
The Hemingway cigars are some very fine cigars -- some of my favorites! I prefer the Maduro over the Natural, but would not turn down a Nat...

If you got some time give the Masterpeice a try (it's 9 inches) :D

hscmit
10-25-2010, 08:00 AM
I like a lot of the Fuente lineup. As for the budget friendly favorites the king b and cuban belicoso sungrown are standouts.

E.J.
10-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Since the Don Carlos has not been mentioned, I would put that line out there as well. I always have some AF Don Carlos sticks available.

cricky101
10-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I always have at least one box of Short Stories in my humidor. They're one of my favorites

smokinpeace
10-25-2010, 09:27 AM
I think you misunderstood Dave. He kinda used a double negative of sorts but he loves Opus and all things high end Fuente. Trust me. He has experience and loves aged Opus.

x man
10-25-2010, 09:46 AM
You need to try an Anejo. One of my absolute favorites. Look around for them in about a month.

I am a huge Fuente Fan, my local has every fuente, EVERY, all yr. round.
well not the sharks but every other Anejo.
BTW, all VSG`s are made by Fuente in the D.R

jmsremax
10-25-2010, 10:09 AM

:tpd:

The 858 is a great smoke!

DaBear
10-25-2010, 12:05 PM
The Hemingway cigars are some very fine cigars -- some of my favorites! I prefer the Maduro over the Natural, but would not turn down a Nat...

And a dang good smoke at that. It costs a pretty penny, but is worth every cent.

Beklage
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Hemmingways are my all time fav!

Brooks W
10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I LOVE the Short Stories, Don Carlos Lancero, and Opus X PL, among many others...

~brooks

floydpink
10-25-2010, 04:13 PM

8-5-8's are what got me hooked on cigars years ago.

I love the entire Hemmingway line but give a slight edge to the Don Carlos line.

weak_link
10-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Smoked a big ass Anejo at the last herf and it was about as boring as they come. Pitched it at the half way point before I fell asleep.

Louistogies
10-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I just started smoking fuentes. belicoso sungrown was pretty good. I had a woam. Which was just bad. But it could of been a bad stick. I'm gonna light up a short story tonight. Hopefully its a good stick.

hscmit
10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
the woam's can be be persnickety. They will get bitter in a hurry if they get burning too hot (smoking one too fast) These can be great, but you have to take your time, it usually takes me over an hour to enjoy one

insanebikerboy
10-25-2010, 07:17 PM

I told my wife that the first time I ever met her and dang if I can't get rid of her now! :lr

jechelman
10-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I enjoy both the Hemingway and Don Carlos lines, especially those with some age. Favorites are probably the Short Story and the Don Carlos #4 with a couple of years on it. Enjoyed a very nice 3 year old 8-5-8 Maddie last night.

gijoey959
10-25-2010, 11:29 PM
I told my wife that the first time I ever met her and dang if I can't get rid of her now! :lr
"He was found dead, having choked on nearly a full cup of water":r :r

justonemorestick
10-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Put me down in the less than impressed category I have tried the curley head and the short story and I dont see what the fuss is about maybe if they drop the price a little maybe.

smelvis
10-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Put me down in the less than impressed category I have tried the curley head and the short story and I dont see what the fuss is about maybe if they drop the price a little maybe.

I Love Fuentes and could not finish a Curly Head either, I do like the short story for a quick mild smoke, but there are many out there and timing is everything with many of the Fuentes.

Hell I am still trying to figure out identifying the different opus x's LOL

Anyway I wouldn't judge the brand by just those two.

Dave

hammer26a
10-26-2010, 12:43 AM
i just received an 8-5-5 and now i'm really looking forward to smoking it. about the opus x... my wife sent me the journey to chateau de la fuente box set to celebrate the birth of my son. i smoked one the day he was born. i thought it was a great smoke. a lot of complex flavors that seemed to change every inch or so from leathery with a cream finish, to wood and peat with pepper finishes. i smoked that thing down to the nub and it almost pained me to finally put it out. i've got one more that i've been aging so it's almost three years old now. i will most definitely do a review of that when i finally get around to smoking it. possibly as a redeployment celebration cigar.

Chingas
10-26-2010, 03:57 AM
I'd smoke it when your son turns 18.

njstone
10-26-2010, 06:21 AM
The Hemingway line is great, the Work of Art is my favorite ... nice cinnamon flavors in that one. The maduro is great too.

The Opus is, of course, great--especially with 6 or more years.

But the Anejo is still my favorite Af cigar, and my favorite maduro cigar along with the Padron 40th. The Anejo is just so unique--a flavor almost like Sherry on the finish, and a bit of a twang. An amazing dessert cigar!

I haven't tried any of the infamous "Sungrown" varieties, though.

njstone
10-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Smoked a big ass Anejo at the last herf and it was about as boring as they come. Pitched it at the half way point before I fell asleep.

Anejos need at least a year (possibly more for the bigger sizes), otherwise imvho they are kinda flavorless. But after a little age, they are amazing cigars! I bought around 20 last year intending to age them for a few (I normally don't buy cigars that expensive, but made an exception for these!).

weak_link
10-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Anejos need at least a year (possibly more for the bigger sizes), otherwise imvho they are kinda flavorless. But after a little age, they are amazing cigars! I bought around 20 last year intending to age them for a few (I normally don't buy cigars that expensive, but made an exception for these!).

It was actually at least 4 years old, probably more, and the cello was even starting to get a yellow tint to it. Still sucked. :r

JJG
10-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Fuente fan checking in.

I agree that the lower end lines are a tad boring, but I like pretty much all the rest. Opus X and Casa Fuente are the best in my opinion, but I have only smoked one Anejo. Unfortunately it was after a fair amount of beers, and the cigar didn't leave an impression on me. The Don Carlos and Hemingway lines are some of my regular rotation smokes.

smokinpeace
10-26-2010, 08:12 AM
I think some of the debate centers around where the cigar world has headed over the last decade. There has been a steady progression toward stronger and stronger cigars with a lot of pepper. While I do appreciate some of these cigars, I think for some it has led to them not finding cigars without a lot of strength and pepper boring. While Opus is a strong cigar, most of the good Fuente stuff is a lot more medium in body and strength but in my opinion, with a lot of flavor. I think that just doesn't do if for a lot of people who love stronger stuff. I love Fuente stuff (esp 858 sungrown, Anejo, Opus, Hemingway) and cuban cigars largely because they don't try and overpower you.

gijoey959
10-26-2010, 11:49 AM
I bought my first Opus X today :tu I would let it age if it wasn't that I could only afford 1, so I'll be smoking it tonight as my b-day smoke

Idk which one it is, apparently there are different types from what I've read? its a double robusto with a wood cover and red cloth band at the foot?

weak_link
10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
... largely because they don't try and overpower you.

This, all day long for me.

There are guys in our herf group that love extremely full bodied smokes and that's fantastic. I prefer smokes that don't need to steamroll you with pepper and body. If I can't retrohale it smoothly it's not really something I enjoy. To me that's part of what's fun about this hobby though, something for everyone.

bigdix
10-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Lot's of great points in here...I kinda like where this thread went. :tu