PDA

View Full Version : Ah cr@p. Anyone ever do a Murder Mystery Party?

GolfNut
10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
So my golf bud Scott calls the other day and invites us to a Halloween party. No sweat, sure says I. Good people, should be fun. TONIGHT he stops by with invitations and our "characters" WTF?

Can't back out, and his wife needs the pick-me-up as her sister just passed a few days ago.

Folks, we have NEVER done anything like this. Way outside our comfort zone. We're pretty quiet usually and don't do an awful lot of partying in the first place.

Has anyone here done these types of things and can give us a little insight as to what we should expect? I'm supposed to be some Air Force Major Astronaut dude and my costume is suggested Air Force Uniform (illegal to impersonate an officer right? lol) or slacks etc. I can handle slacks and a paisley tie I guess.

My wife gets to play some famous bra-burner feminist which should be interesting. (I think she was selected for that role due to the 34D's! :lr)

I'm really at a loss what the heck to do here. Hope someone can shed a little light.

CigarNut
10-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Never been there or done that, but I hope you have a good time!

thebayratt
10-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Never been to one, didn't know they still happened. They sound interesting, but the Halloween parties I usually go to involve a costume, and thats about it besides drinkn & food.

Sorry I couldn't be too much help to ya.

My wife gets to play some famous bra-burner feminist which should be interesting. (I think she was selected for that role due to the 34D's! :dr

Thats funny stuff......... or your buddy is a perv. ;s

Nefari0us
10-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I've never done one, but a few of my friends went a few years ago and they loved it... I'd give it a try if I were invited to one.

Emjaysmash
10-24-2010, 09:04 PM
My family used to do this on New Years for a couple of years. It's a great time!! (My parents dont drink at all, so it was more like a dinner party, and in between courses you solve a mystery!)

Don't worry about what you need to do before the party. Just find as good a costume as you like, and show up. All the details are given to you at the dinner. Each player is given a sort of booklet of the things his/her character knows, and motivations and such. The whole event is prompted by a tape/CD recording explaining the place you are, and how you've all come together. After that, people ask questions to the other characters revealing what they know. At the end, everyone guesses who the murderer might be, and then you pay the last track on the CD to find out. Everyone there usually has a legitimate motive so it's a little hard. But it is SUPER FUN. Don't worry you'll have a great time!

GolfNut
10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
My family used to do this on New Years for a couple of years. It's a great time!! (My parents dont drink at all, so it was more like a dinner party, and in between courses you solve a mystery!)

Don't worry about what you need to do before the party. Just find as good a costume as you like, and show up. All the details are given to you at the dinner. Each player is given a sort of booklet of the things his/her character knows, and motivations and such. The whole event is prompted by a tape/CD recording explaining the place you are, and how you've all come together. After that, people ask questions to the other characters revealing what they know. At the end, everyone guesses who the murderer might be, and then you pay the last track on the CD to find out. Everyone there usually has a legitimate motive so it's a little hard. But it is SUPER FUN. Don't worry you'll have a great time!

OK, this puts my mind at ease. I can follow a script! :tu

Now where the heck do I find Air Force or Astronaut stuff? Wish I still had my Steve Austin lunch box. :D

Emjaysmash
10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
OK, this puts my mind at ease. I can follow a script! :tu

Now where the heck do I find Air Force or Astronaut stuff? Wish I still had my Steve Austin lunch box. :D

Aviators. maybe even a cheap AF cap, or a NASA patch or something. Even like you said, start with slacks, shirt, paisely tie, then go for accessories.

http://www.andreasfancydress.co.uk/images/costumes/airforce_usa_large.jpg

Kreth
10-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Greyhound uniform should be a pretty close match... ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Gargoyle
10-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I used to do a bunch of these... they were a great time!

Go in with an open mind. As it was already said, you will have a booklet with your background and some basic info. You will find out that you are probably a pretty shady character (along with everyone else)... you learn a little more about yourself and a little bit of dirt on others as you go along.

Just go with the flow. ;) I personally didn't like to come out guns blazing and accuse everyone else... then have no ammo left when the attention circled back to me.

Have a great time!

mmblz
10-25-2010, 07:23 AM
did one once - actually at halloween, it was disco something or other. your character doesn't sound familiar but my wife also played the feminist - maybe they recycle that character ;)

it was sort of fun but also sort of felt like just reading a script.

shilala
10-25-2010, 07:29 AM
I went to one a lot of years ago. It was over dinner, and we had a blast.
You don't need to be scared at all, you'll get all the help you need. Most of the fun comes from the funny stuff going on between people helping each other.
You guys will have a blast. :tu
I should also say that we had never done anything like it when the ex and I went, and I was very uncomfortable with it while she wasn't. That really made me scared. Five minutes after showing up and I was good to go.

yourchoice
10-25-2010, 07:34 AM
A handful of years back, my wife and I hosted one for her 30th birthday party. Don't stress out about it, but do make a little effort with the costume part of it. We had a great time with it. Truthfully, I don't remember all of the particulars (:al) except we all had a great time! Have fun!

ade06
10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Try your best to get in to character and have an open mind about the night. But the most important thing about it is to just have fun! Be loose and enjoy the night! Oh, last thing if you are the murderer... DO NOT TELL ANYONE THAT YOU ARE THE MURDERER UNTIL THE END OF THE GAME!

hammondc
10-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Going to my first one this weekend for a Halloween party. It is set on a cruise ship. Since I am late to commit, my character is a poolboy. TONS of scandelous info with that character though.

GolfNut
10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
I survived it. Just did Mr. Conservative representing the hated establishment as per game suggestion for my "character". I'm waay in the back peeking over everyone. Suzanne is in the floppy hat and sunglasses. We all had a good time. :tuhttp://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh59/idfliers/PA301032.jpg