PDA

View Full Version : Considreing a Sling Box...

CigarNut
10-21-2010, 02:18 PM
I like to sit outside or in the garage to have a cigar and sometimes I would like to be able to keep up with the game or whatever else might be on.

I have heard that I can do this with a Sling Box and I have a few questions:

- Do you need special software on your laptop (or other device) to be able to access the content?

- If I just want to view what's on the TV (not change the channels or anything) is the Sling Box Solo the right model?

- Does the content stream pretty well over wireless G (54Mb)?

- Does the Sling Box delivery HD content OK?

- Are there other (better) choices?

Thanks!

jmsremax
10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Definitely wasn't expecting this to pertain to watching TV :=:

Sounds pretty sweet.

loki
10-21-2010, 02:24 PM
i use a slingbox to keep up on Penguins hockey. I wanted to control the tv so I had to get the slingbox pro and where I have it set up doesn't have HD so I can't comment on that. The content stream is fine over wireless, I usually get around 20mbs when I'm watching mine. feel free to pm me if you want or i'll try to answer questions here if I can

LasciviousXXX
10-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't have a slingbox myself but can safely say that if you're looking to stream in HD quality you might want to upgrade to Wireless N to keep it running silky smooth. :2

waffle
10-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I have heard that I can do this with a Sling Box and I have a few questions:

- Do you need special software on your laptop (or other device) to be able to access the content? Nope, you can just go to the website and it'll install the plugin

- If I just want to view what's on the TV (not change the channels or anything) is the Sling Box Solo the right model? I have a Solo and you can change the channels

- Does the content stream pretty well over wireless G (54Mb)? It compensates for the speed of your connection, I have it installed on my phone ($30 app for about all systems... worth EVERY PENNY!) and it streams great! I also use it on the laptop and it looks close to sitting in front of my tv

- Does the Sling Box delivery HD content OK? It loooks amazing when I watch it, I swear by my slingbox and I got it almost 3 years ago... If I had the chance, I'd do it all over again... bonus is if you have Whole Home DVR through Direct or your cable provider, I can watch stuff I taped without interfering with whatever my wife is watching on the ACTUAL DVR box!

- Are there other (better) choices? None that I have found... can't really beat the price (1 time purchase cost, with no monthly fees)

Thanks!

SvilleKid
10-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Good thread. I've been thinking about getting one for our system. This answers many of the questions I've had running around my head!

AD720
10-21-2010, 05:28 PM
I would grab one if the mobile app wasn't so outrageously priced. $30 is a joke if I'm paying $100 or more for the hardware - espeically when we'd be buying it for like 4 mobile devices (both or our phones, 2 ipod touches and an ipad). Under $5 and I'd get one.

Mr B
10-21-2010, 05:37 PM
http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Imported/Movies/6/38575a.jpg

Woops, Thats Sling Blade. ;s

waffle
10-21-2010, 05:40 PM
I would grab one if the mobile app wasn't so outrageously priced. $30 is a joke if I'm paying $100 or more for the hardware - espeically when we'd be buying it for like 4 mobile devices (both or our phones, 2 ipod touches and an ipad). Under $5 and I'd get one.

Yeah, its a bit crazy when you look at it like that... however, do you really need it on BOTH phone and ipod touches and ipad... I mean its only setup to 1 box... and you can only have 1 person active at a time on it.

AD720
10-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I would at least want it on my phone and the iPad. That's $60 right there. Half the price of the hardware. And I wouldn't want to be the one to break it to my wife that I can have on my phone but she can't on her's.

hscmit
10-21-2010, 05:47 PM
And I wouldn't want to be the one to break it to my wife that I can have on my phone but she can't on her's.

totally worth the extra $30 when you put it that way

waffle
10-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I would at least want it on my phone and the iPad. That's $60 right there. Half the price of the hardware. And I wouldn't want to be the one to break it to my wife that I can have on my phone but she can't on her's.

Good point... honestly, I use it so much on my phone/laptop, the $30 figures to like $5/month for 6 months which is cheaper than a netflix account... I guess I just can easily explain it to myself :)

loki
10-21-2010, 06:56 PM
watching the pens game right now on mine and i'm getting 2000kbs

AD720
10-21-2010, 07:02 PM
totally worth the extra $30 when you put it that way

:) I may be dumb but I'm not stupid on top of it.

waffle
10-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Here's what mine looks like while I'm at work (we have AWFUL internet here.... we're in short order to get fiber soon, but not yet)

loki
10-21-2010, 07:32 PM
another pic. this is off a standard def feed

CigarNut
10-21-2010, 09:24 PM
another pic. this is off a standard def feedIs this picture of your system using the web plug-in or the Sling Box App?

loki
10-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Is this picture of your system using the web plug-in or the Sling Box App?

app that I downloaded last year. not sure if it needs updated or not, but I haven't had any problems so why mess with it :)

waffle
10-22-2010, 04:26 AM
Is this picture of your system using the web plug-in or the Sling Box App?

Mine's off the web. ;) And the app I believe has a setting to let you know when it needs to update, but I haven't used the app on my 'puter in so long I don't remember... much less hassle with the web plug-in!

loki
10-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Mine's off the web. ;) And the app I believe has a setting to let you know when it needs to update, but I haven't used the app on my 'puter in so long I don't remember... much less hassle with the web plug-in!

i thought something looked different when I went to install it on a windows box....not that my wife ever lets me use that computer anymore.

Nefari0us
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM
ive been contemplating a sling box too, this thread has been most helpful

SvilleKid
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Let's revive this thread.

I'm looking now, more than ever, for my wife to have access to the home system while she's traveling. I've got questions:

Situation 1: I notice there are several different Sling Boxes available. Mainly, the one I get will be for my wife to use while traveling (she's a travel nurse). She will most likely be accessing it thru hotel wifis in the present and future on her laptop, though she might soon be in an apartment, with her own dedicated wifi. My home set-up is a HD DVR/reciever thru DirectV. My current wireless is a G-B band, not an N-band. Most reviews I read are at least a year old, some are 2 years old.

Questions 1: Are there any major changes to the Sling Boxes in the last several years that would be beneficial, or would I be just as good paying significantly less for an older, used model. Is the Sling Box Pro HD a better choice (price aside) than say, a Sling Box Solo. Are there other brands out there besides Sling Box that I should be considering? I notice several reviews about warranty and longivity issues with Sling Box products. Anyone here have any negative issues from this standpoint?

Situation 2: My wireless router (dsl provider standard unit) is on the second floor, some distances from my DVR/directv box. From reviews (mostly 1-2 years old), it appears there is a "Slinglink Turbo" that I can use as a bridge/wireless extender to avoid running Ethernet cables thru floors and walls and such to hardwire the Sling Box.

Questions 2: Would I be better served buying a non-Sling Box" related brand of wireless extender, locating it close to my tv setup. It appears the SlingLink Turbo may only have a single ethernet connection. A generic extender may have more connections, which would allow me to also connect my DVR to my net, and thus access the "play on demand" features I currently do not have access to (due to the lack of connections). Would I be better served by drilling holes and stretching cables (probably over 40 feet, maybe 50 feet) from my existing router (it has 4 ethernet ports, with only 1 in use), or can I get comparable quality (and less work) by purchasing a wireless extender.

Situation 3: It's highly probably (near 100%) that my wife will be "remotely" viewing programing from the DVR, maybe even the DirectV live stream at the same time I'm watching TV through the same DVR reciever.

Questions 3: Does the Sling Box (any of them) allow her to watch one show recorded on the DVR, while I watch a different show on the DVR. If she wants to watch a live stream show on DirecTV while I'm watching a different show, is that possible, or do we both have to view the same "live stream" show at the same time? Would a "whole-house" DVR/reciever from DirecTV allow more options? (I'm sure I can get a system upgrade from DirecTV with little trouble or costs).

Any insights on these questions from those currently using a sling box would be greatly appreciated!

Silound
05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't own a SlingBox, so I can't comment on those.

I DO own a Vulcano (same concept, different company) that I really like. I opted for the Vulcano specifically for the fact that the PC software is free and the Android app is only like $16. Plus, I didn't have to buy it more than once, since the app purchase was saved to my Gmail account, and all three of my Android devices were linked to that account :)

The only complaint I have is that the Vulcano steams the signal out to their media server, and then back to your device via the internet, only PC's can connect directly over the local network. That means you need an internet connection with a beefy (read 3+ MBps) upload speed, or you're going to have really choppy low quality. That didn't bother me as bad considering I have a 10/10 fiber connection, but trying to use it from a Cox connection with a 2.5 MBps upload rate was terrible.