PDA

View Full Version : Grinder and Press Suggestions

Bill86
10-19-2010, 02:12 AM
So with Christmas coming I'm deciding what to get the parents. Seeing as how my dad works from home and drinks a pot of coffee a day I figure an upgrade would be a nice gift to get him through the daily grind.

Budget $200

Need a good grinder and decent press.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.

smelvis
10-19-2010, 02:51 AM
I'll answer tomorrow to late tonight but I think I can get you what I have in a cheaper version for that price.

Dave

bigdix
10-19-2010, 03:56 AM
A classic Bodum press can't be beat. I worked for years as a sous chef in a French brasserie and we used these. Krups makes nice grinders (I prefer the electric ones...I'm lazy!) :2

bigdix
10-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Bodum Press: http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=3&LID=616&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=U17HU0PS1NW99N368N4UJCCW1T2J41M4

Krups Grinder: http://www.krups.com/All+Products/coffee-grinders/Products/GVX2/GVX2.htm

BloodSpite
10-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Big is right. Bodum is it hands down. I've had my Kenya model for quite a while and are all reasonably priced and work excellent.

Try to get one that the screen can be separated from the stem. This will make cleaning a whole lot easier. Otherwise just about any press by Bodun is a good choice

There are different types of grinders however. Conical Burr grinders are absolutely the best but they aren't cheap. Wheel burrs are a step down are are mid range. Blade grinders are the low end of the spectrum but they do the job, however sometimes the cuts can be inconsistent.

With the latter I've found entire beans still be in my grind, having never been touched by a blade. Essentially wasted coffee. If you can afford it go for a burr type grinder.

GolfNut
10-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Here's the one we had before the house fire ate it. Awesome consistent grind and it's on sale now! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/breville-ikon-burr-coffee-grinder/?pkey=e|grinder|15|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules http://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201038/0039/img57m.jpg

mosesbotbol
10-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Solis makes a decent budget grinder.

Bill86
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
What are the warranties like on these? I keep looking on amazon and it seems people crap on every single coffee grinder and press available for one reason or another.

Mister Moo
10-19-2010, 06:32 PM
... people crap on every single coffee grinder and press available for one reason or another.One for life and essentially uncrappable. Granted, the budget is somewhat screwed but still uncrappable:

Rocky (Rancilio) Grinder
Bodum Columbia press pot

Barely crappable (and within budget):

Krups or Baratza Maestro burr mill
odum Columbia press pot

Bill86
10-20-2010, 01:07 AM
I saw that Baratza Maestro and bodum columbia press pot. I'll order those....the old man will be happy once I persuade him to gain the patience to make GOOD coffee every morning :r:r:r, It may take a bit....

Thanks man, much appreciated.

Mister Moo
10-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Get the biggest Columbia; you can top it up or fill it part way. Keeps coffee hot for a couple of hours - never goes bitter sitting in the pot (old coffee-wives tale).

mosesbotbol
10-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Make sure you buy Urnex Cafiza coffee pot cleaner. This is vital to making a good french press. Dishwashing soap only goes so far.

I'll pour the fresh french press into a Thremos and it works great to keep it hot.

jmsremax
10-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Any more ideas? I am in the same boat....interested in trying the press way of making coffee.

gvarsity
10-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I love the planetary design tabletop press. Double walled insulated stainless. Almost indestructible keeps your coffee scalding hot way longer than it should take you to drink it and they come in cool colors.

http://www.planetarydesign.us/products.html?paction=tabletop32

As for a grinder like everyone says they are not cheap. I saw a rocky for 150$ on my local craigslist so you never know when you can find a deal. I personally use a Amand Trosser hand grinder I picked up at a antique store for about 30$. Wouldn't necessarily use it to make espresso but for french press it is great.

Since you are looking at a french press and as a gift for your folks and not for a hobbiest heading down the coffee slope IMHO you have more options on your grinder. I would go for the best burr grinder that you are willing to spring for. I know this is sacrilege but especially for French Press for non coffee geeks grind isn't as important as reliability, ease of use and ease of cleaning. The main issue you are going to get with a less even grind is more sediment in the bottom of the pot and cup. If you don't drink the absolute last sip of either it is no big deal. You never even with the best grinder get totally sediment free coffee. If they really get into coffee and start heading down the slope you have gifts for next year.

Mister Moo
10-21-2010, 05:46 AM
...As for a grinder like everyone says they are not cheap... ...I would go for the best burr grinder that you are willing to spring for...Sad but true. Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.

The list of do-all "lifetime" grinders goes like: Rocky, Macap, Mazzer.

The list of "pretty darn good for french presses" goes like: Krups, Capresso, Maestro, KitchenAid.

The list of grinders that make "good press coffee, damn the sludge, full speed ahead" is any number of inexpensive hand grinders, whirley blades, canvas-bag-and-hammer, anything under $40 sold at Target called a coffee grinder.

floydpink
10-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Sad but true. Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.

The list of do-all "lifetime" grinders goes like: Rocky, Macap, Mazzer.

The list of "pretty darn good for french presses" goes like: Krups, Capresso, Maestro, KitchenAid.

The list of grinders that make "good press coffee, damn the sludge, full speed ahead" is any number of inexpensive hand grinders, whirley blades, canvas-bag-and-hammer, anything under $40 sold at Target called a coffee grinder.

3 great grinders. Each with their own little quirks as well as loyal fans.
I'm in the Macap fan club.

Mister Moo
10-25-2010, 05:14 AM
3 great grinders. Each with their own little quirks as well as loyal fans.
I'm in the Macap fan club.My Mazzer has few quirks than its owner.

Mister Moo
10-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Bill86: grinders for paper/metal filtered drip and french presses can cover a lot of ground for under $150. If you don't mind a little (or a lot of) sludge at the bottom of your cup (I don't) then a whirley blade coffee bean chopper-smasher can do an OK job for $20. They're not the best but they work.

As prices go up quality and durability change a lot. Besides a more controllable, uniform grind (which opens up use of mokapots, turkish pots and espresso makers) better grinders, as a rule, perform better over time and last longer. I usually suggest getting the best possible grinder if you genuinely enjoy coffee and expect to brew a pot or more each day. A good $300 grinder will not only help you make better coffee but it'll probably outlive a few $100 units. I wish everything in the world worked as well a a Mazzer.

smelvis
10-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Alright I forgot I said I would say what I use. The total between the two is a little over your amount but if you take the basic grinder you are close and you would have in my opinion one of the best grinder/press combos out there. I have these and love them.

What they all said is true,

Amazon.com: Bodum 1308-16 Columbia 8-Cup Stainless-Steel Thermal Press Pot: Kitchen & Dining

as far as bur grinders I have this one.

Amazon.com: Virtuoso Coffee Grinder: Home & Garden

I don't drink much anymore but when I do I like good stuff, I also believe in certain things like this to buy one that will last forever, or close to it. LOL

mosesbotbol
10-25-2010, 06:29 AM
A good $300 grinder will not only help you make better coffee but it'll probably outlive a few $100 units. I wish everything in the world worked as well a a Mazzer.

Excellent advice.

Bill86
11-01-2010, 02:05 AM
You bastages! As usual my budget is fail.....well I hope I have a job by Xmas. The parents will kick my ass if they ever figure out I spent $350-400 on them for Xmas! I hope they don't figure it out :r

Maybe I'll get away with it if the package says BOOM! when they open it? Then a nice note that says you've been bombed....

Mister Moo
11-01-2010, 08:00 AM
There is the perfect world and then there is the real world. We are not all setting fire to $20 cigars every day, right? When real world intrudes on coffee, please consider that tens of thousands of cheerful, well-caffeinated people make excellent press/drip coffee every day with burr mills that cost less than $150. There are financial times to be crazy and there are times to be-ware...

Don't rule out the Krups, Capresso etc. grinders that do the job just fine until your ship comes in. Christmas? It's about the thought, the love and the doing unto others - more about making someone coffee than making a purchase, anyhow.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25455-Capresso-Infinity-Conical-Burr-Grinder-560.aspx?sourcecode=BW1PF1054

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=krups+conical+burr+grinders&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACGW_enUS329&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13088827205449045550&ei=cMXOTN-vNsSAlAeQo4joCA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAg#

ashtonlady
11-01-2010, 08:48 AM
My Capresso Grinder works just great for Press and drip, and it doesnt break the bank. As far as trying to convert your dad, if he doesnt like sludge at the bottom of his cup you will not convert him. So start small, in price.

floydpink
11-01-2010, 10:14 AM
The little Krups we use for my wife's drip has served well for a few years and every time I look at the burrs, I am amazed at how well they are holding up.

I can't recall the exact price I paid for it, but it wasn't much more than 50 bucks.

Not a Macap or Mazzer, but doesn't need to be for her drip coffee.

I roast light for her drip and darker for my espresso and everyone seems to be getting along just fine in my house.

klipsch
11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
When I dumped all of my espresso gear I was faced with the decision of what to buy to move forward with my everyday coffee. I decided to go with the Baratza Virtuoso. That was based on my experience with a quality espresso grinder (Macap M4 Stepless), and the belief that you get what you pay for. Does it do that much better than the grinders that can be had for less than $100? Grind wise...I can't say...build wise, it's a tank, and I don't plan on having to buy another grinder to replace this one. I think that anything from Mazzer, Macap or Rancilio (Rocky), is absolute overkill for drip or press coffee, and for the added expense you'll never notice any difference. As far as presses or other options go...I have two Bodum presses and a Chemex pour over for regular coffee and a couple of Brikka pots to punch it up a notch if desired. If you shop enough, around you should be able to get into what you want for $200.

thebayratt
12-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I have this grinder: http://www.lowes.com/pd_190550-1225-IDS77-NP_0__?productId=3241182&Ntt=coffee+grinder&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcoffee%2Bgrinder
Not bad for the price, and pretty simple to use.

I have a classic Bodum French press. I've only used it for a few days, but haven't had one issue out of either one yet.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/thebayratt/DSCN3429.jpg

Those two should set you back about $75, enough left over to buy a few bags of beans to go with!

Bill86
12-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Well my dads old grinder broke so I bought the maestro that a lot of you recommended so far it is at least 10 times better and grinds a pound of coffee very nicely in matter of minutes. Was easily worth the $99 shipped from amazon. Shopping for a french press now. Thanks a lot guys.

BloodSpite
12-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Presses really are a dime a dozen. And you can always modify them if your a real coffee hound (I bought one of the drip style gold mesh filters, trimmed it to fit between the brace and the screen of my Press...it's as close to sediment free as I think a press can get)

Otherwise you can pick one up at almost any coffee shop. Heck I'd even go to Starbucks and look at them so you get an idea hands on what your wanting size and durability wise.

Just make sure the glass is thick, not cheap, the plunger assembly can be separated to be cleaned, and that most of all it delivers the amount of coffee you want.

mmblz
12-10-2010, 09:32 AM
I lke the Bodum Chambord best as far as looks. We have 5 of them in 3 different sizes. I know you can make a small amount in a large press but when you do you are forced to really pour all the water from underneath the filter, which does get some additional amount of sediment in it. When you have a small press, most of that one cup is already sitting above the filter and you can afford to just leave a few sips from under the filter (yes I know it sort of flows through the filter the whole time, but the long you keep it tilted and wait for it, the more comes through). hope I'm making any sense at all.

Then I also have this which is pretty cool:
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Stainless-16-Ounce-Vacuum-Silicone/dp/B0026L7DWE

itzfrank
12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Starbucks sells a recycled plastic/glass Bodum in two sizes. Large one can be found for $19.99.

Mine works perfectly and cleans great.