PDA

View Full Version : Questions about flying with cigars

gijoey959
10-18-2010, 09:44 PM
So I am going to South Carolina over Thanksgiving, and I wanted to bring cigars. I just wanted to know how to do this, I am going to be sending my lighter ahead in the mail, and checking my cutter, but other than that I don't know how to keep em stable so I can still smoke them while I'm there.

Thanks ahead of time :tu

MedicCook
10-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Cigar Caddy works good. If it is the small one without the pressure valve you might want to only latch one side.

markem
10-18-2010, 09:47 PM
tupperware or you can buy a cigar travel case

keep the cigars with your carry on. No issues as long as its just cigars.

bobarian
10-18-2010, 09:54 PM
tupperware or you can buy a cigar travel case

keep the cigars with your carry on. No issues as long as its just cigars.

:tpd: Ziplocks will keep them from rolling around and the tupperware will protect them from being crushed.

gijoey959
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
So ziploc inside a tupperwear? That's easy

forgop
10-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Why would you check your cutter? Cutters are allowed as a carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohibited_and_permitted_items_10-24-07.pdf

For the hassle of shipping a lighter (which can be lost-after all, this is the USPS we're talking about), why not stop in a convenience store gas station and pick up a $5 or less torch lighter and leave the nice one at home?

Stinky
10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I always toss a couple (torch) lighters & cutter in the dopp kit inside the checked luggage. Never had a problem. We fly 3 to 5 times each year and I always carry-on cigars in anything from a zip-lock baggie to a number of travel humidors depending on how many . . . or how long we're going to be gone.

AlohaStyle
10-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I bring lighters too, haven't had a problem. You can legally bring soft flame lighters, not torch... but I always bring the cheap Ronson torch lighters. If it gets taken, who cares.

bobarian
10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Why would you check your cutter? Cutters are allowed as a carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohibited_and_permitted_items_10-24-07.pdf

For the hassle of shipping a lighter (which can be lost-after all, this is the USPS we're talking about), why not stop in a convenience store gas station and pick up a $5 or less torch lighter and leave the nice one at home?

Yes, cutters can be carried on, but it is entirely up to the TSA screening agent as to whether they pass. If they deem it to be a possible weapon, they can confiscate it without question. Citing the rules will not get you past them. Why take the risk with a good cutter? If you are going to check a bag its easier to just toss it in.

While most lighters may pass the checked bag screening, they are illegal and can be confiscated. Again, no reason to take a chance with something nice. I usually travel with a cheap jet that I dont mind losing if it is found. :2

icehog3
10-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Yes, cutters can be carried on, but it is entirely up to the TSA screening agent as to whether they pass.

Yup...I've seen it happen.

Citing the rules will not get you past them. Why take the risk with a good cutter? If you are going to check a bag its easier to just toss it in.

True again, even heard of people showing them a print copy of their own rules, to no avail. I won't risk my Palio, I just put in in a jeans pocket in my checked luggage.

smelvis
10-19-2010, 12:38 AM
I like the caddies with the valve that's why they have a valve, My Nephew had to pry his without one open with a knife.

I also check lighters and cutters just cheap ones.

benedic08
10-19-2010, 12:44 AM
I've been traveling internationally with my cigars a lot. What i do is put my cigars in my cigar caddy with the foam that comes with it so that the cigars dont move inside. I switched the original humidification device with a beads puck. I then stick my cigar caddy between my clothes in my check in luggage. As for cutter i always put it in my check in luggage. For the lighter i bring my cheap lighter and EMPTY IT then stick it in my check-in luggage. I just grab a small butane refill when i arrive at my destination. Always put everything in your check in luggage and make sure that lighter is empty.
My caddy, cutter, and lighter has been to a lot of different countries. No problems so far.

AlohaStyle
10-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Always put everything in your check in luggage

I definitely don't agree that putting your cigars in the checked luggage is the best thing to do. I say do what you are most comfortable with, but I know from multiple people (and have read other stories) that cigars have been inspected and not repacked properly and also stolen. Security and baggage handlers have the freedom to do what they want with your luggage, why risk your good cigars?

I personally will always fly with my cigars in my carry-on.

Bill86
10-19-2010, 02:00 AM
You can just mail your cigars in a caddy to where ever you are going. I often mail stuff that I cannot take there. Mostly Knives, I refuse to go anywhere without my Microtech Ultratech and Strider SMF.

pnoon
10-19-2010, 06:29 AM
I definitely don't agree that putting your cigars in the checked luggage is the best thing to do. I say do what you are most comfortable with, but I know from multiple people (and have read other stories) that cigars have been inspected and not repacked properly and also stolen. Security and baggage handlers have the freedom to do what they want with your luggage, why risk your good cigars?

:tpd:

mosesbotbol
10-19-2010, 06:47 AM
I roll each cigar in celophane and they stay perfect and are easy to take a single out with you for the night without worry.

Dave128
10-19-2010, 08:19 AM
I flew to Barcelona in September. I put a few cigars along with a cheap cutter and a cheap FULL torch lighter inside a travel case and then placed that in my checked luggage. I had no issues whatsoever.

dvickery
10-19-2010, 09:34 AM
gijoey959

this is a good question with lots of good answers...not sure i can add much to this thread...except anecdotes.

i have lost...

a torch...my favorite at the time.(ft myers fla)

cutter...a cheapie from lcdh in cuba yet i had grown attatched to it in less than a week.(varadero cuba)

a soft flame "bic"...security said"you can only carry one on the plane , which one do you want to keep".(edmonton alberta)

these losses were always at airport security(not from checked luggage).
so now(for me)...everything goes into checked luggage.i guess its a matter of who you think is lazyest...the luggage x-ray guys or the security x-ray guys.

derrek :hm

itzfrank
10-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Why not just pre-cut the cigars before the trip? Wouldn't you want to check them for a bad draw to begin with? Then there's no need for the cutter at all...

newlifetaxidermy
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I always carry my cigars in a fancy gladware container in my carry on. Ziplocs would be a good idea, but I am usually not very rough with my carry on as I have a laptop in it as well. As for lighters, I bought a TSA approved case to put them in and they go into checked baggage. I think I paid around $8 for it with shipping on eBay...it is made by Zippo, but cannot remember what it is actually called. It is a canister with a foam insert and a sealing lid. You can carry empty torch lighters in these TSA approved cases. You will have to buy some butane when you reach your destination or do like "some guys I know" and stick a can in with your shaving kit and hope for the best. I always make sure I pack a cutter in my checked bag and have a cutter and soft flame (bic type) lighter with me on the plane in case my luggage is lost.

benedic08
10-19-2010, 01:56 PM

Well yeah. Cigars in your carry on is okay too. I sometimes carry my cigars in my carry on. What i really meant was to make sure the cutter and empty torch lighter is in your check in luggage. Got one of my cutters and torch lighters thrown but carrying cigars didnt give me any problems.

So with cigars carry on or check in which ever you prefer. But cutter and torch lighter always in check in hehehhe... :D

hscmit
10-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I always carry on my cigars, a small punch cutter that looks like a key ring and a box of wooden matches. never had any problems

icehog3
10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
As for lighters, I bought a TSA approved case to put them in and they go into checked baggage. I think I paid around $8 for it with shipping on eBay...it is made by Zippo, but cannot remember what it is actually called. It is a canister with a foam insert and a sealing lid. You can carry empty torch lighters in these TSA approved cases.

http://www.lightersx.com/p/Colibri-Tranzpack-Airline-Travel-Approved

gijoey959
10-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, leave the site alone for a few hours and the thread explodes! Thanks for the answers! I think ziplock in a tupperwear in the carry on is gonna be what I wind up doing, along with sending my lighter ahead to the where I'm staying (can't buy one there for a few reasons) and stashing my cutter in the checked bag.

Thanks for the replies, I got my questions answered and more :tu