PDA

View Full Version : Deer blind/stand plans

RevSmoke
10-18-2010, 02:46 PM
OK, here's the deal. I need to build a couple deer blinds/stands using some stuff that is purchased, and materials I will cannabilze from the barn that is already falling down - there are barn boards and aluminum sheets that I can use to enclose the frame and put on as a roof.

First, realize that if I build it, it has to be easy. I can cut and hammer and all that stuff, but I definitely am not the one to have to it if you want perfect corners and edges and something that is level.

OK, I found one set of plans online, but I am trying to keep the costs down and the one I found uses aluminum channel and tubing. Here's a link http://deer-stands.net/uploads/GITG_box_blind.pdf

Can someone with some better knowledge than I look at it and tell me if I can do this without using the aluminum tubing and channel and making full-length windows? Or is the aluminum stuff cheaper than I figure?

First, I figure I'd like to have a floor that is two sheets of plywood side by side - I am guessing that'd make the stand 8X8 - unless someone can give me reason to make it smaller? The other thought is to cut two feet off of each and make them 6X4 sheets, making the stand an 8X6 stand.

What I'd like is the basic framing of a stand with the floor, the walls, and roof - something designed so that I don't have cut the two sheets of plywood that make up the floor. I'd like the roof sloped, so that it is 7' at one side and angled so that snow will slide off - maybe 6' or 6.5'.

What is and idea for the framework for the walls? I'd like it so that I can put in door and windows.

Than I need ideas for a door and windows that are simple. I was thinking plexiglass window built onto a frame that can open and close - I have the idea in my head of using 2X4s, plexiglass, faring strips to seal it on, and hinges - inside a wider 2X4 frame. Only I don't have the know how to tell what the dimensions would need to be for the window to open in the outer framing.

So, can anybody help me out blueprints of pans for this?

Anybody want to come and join me at "the shack" this Friday and Saturday?

Thanks.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

SvilleKid
10-18-2010, 03:09 PM
You're not building a stand! You're building a house!!:D

The stands we used in the hunting club are 4 x 4, and use 2x2 framing on the corners, built on 2x4 floor framing. Most use the plywood flap cut out for the window opening as the closure, with no actual windows (usually 12-15" high, 18-24" wide, at eye level sitting down). Same for the door. Sounds small, but it's really just about right. Get it too big, you just have a bunch of extra air that has to be heated (hard enough to keep a 4x4 house warm). The only reason I can think for a 6x4 or 8x4 would be for two people. Depending on how high you are going to place the stand, anything over a 4x4 gets real heavy trying to move and erect. If you put some type of real windows in it, you have to make sure they ALWAYS open effortlessly and without sound. Something we've never managed to find. And, if you are going to keep the windows/ports open while hunting, flaps work as well as windows.

The main drawbacks to the ones club members build (not me) is that since the roof is often only tin roofing, they often use nails that are too long, and you have to be careful standing up! Definitely want the roof high enough to stand up in. Old office chairs are great, especially if you put down a layer of in/out carpet on the floor to dampen noises.

SvilleKid
10-18-2010, 03:27 PM
With 4x4 size, you can easily use 4x4 treated posts for the legs, as long as you keep it under about 8 feet off the ground. Anything above 4 feet up, we always use cross-bracing on the legs. 8 foot legs, 2 foot in the ground, 6 foot high. with a standard chair, puts your view roughly 9-10 feet above ground. Anything bigger than 4x4 will demand much larger lumber for floor structure, wall corners, studs between walls, roofing structure and such, and becomes expensive because of the larger lumber. With 4x4, you use 2x2 lumber for ALL but the floor structure (and support legs). Run 2x2's across the interior walls at the top level of the ports and door for extra support, and that also gives you something to screw the hinges into. Same on the hings side of the door opening.

This won't give you a critter proof shooting house, and won't be large enough for two, but gives plenty of room for one person and his gear. Main concern is during the summer, on work days, you always carry wasp and hornet spray. And, if hunters don't leave food inside, you shouldn't expect anything larger than wasps as unwelcome inhabitants. And, it's a relatively inexpensive build.

10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm of no help with designs. I'd love to join you but the 12+ hour drive is a big deterrant. Good luck and get some pics once you get started.

If you want something truly portable have you considered these?
http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Hunting--Hunting-Treestands--Treestand-Accessories%7C--pc--104791680--c--104783580--sc--104649480--Big-Game-Cover-All174-Tripod-Blind--745694.uts.shtml

For $129, it is elevated and covered.

If you need a two man they get pricy...

$680
http://www.directoutdoorproducts.com/02-BB4476-S00_all.shtml

$709
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=426878&pdesc=SCENTite_2_Man_Whitetail_Blind_w/Trap_Door&aID=503AL1&merchID=4006

$729
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=426889&pdesc=SCENTite_Half_Door_Hunter_2_Man_Combo_w/_Quadpod_Kit&aID=503H6&merchID=4006

Or you could put your own blind on this platform for $299, but its only 60" x 60"
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=428306&pdesc=AmeriStep_Vantage_Point_Quad_Pod&aID=503H6&merchID=4006

MiamiE
10-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Why not just spend the money and get a climber? There's plenty of great cheaper ones. Just wear your harness eberytime in the tree!

ninjavanish
10-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Why not just spend the money and get a climber? There's plenty of great cheaper ones. Just wear your harness eberytime in the tree!

Climbers good for places that are hard to get to.

I prefer to hunt in the comfort of a wooden box, sitting on an old school bus bench, wrapped 6 inches thick in insulated camo, with 2000 grams of thinsulate in my boots and a propane heater beside me. And maybe playing sudoku on my iPhone.

MiamiE
10-18-2010, 08:17 PM

I prefer to hunt in the comfort of a wooden box, sitting on an old school bus bench, wrapped 6 inches thick in insulated camo, with 2000 grams of thinsulate in my boots and a propane heater beside me. And maybe playing sudoku on my iPhone.

Jesus man that's like shooting out a hotel window! :r

RevSmoke
10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
My son has to hunt with me for 2 more years, so need a 2-person stand/blind. If I have what I'd like, we will stay out there all day - so that when other hunters move, we have the leg up as the deer make a move.

Have both a climber and a ladder stand, but haven't had the chace to prepare the woods for shooting lanes and to get trees prepared to put them up.

Once a stand/blind like I'm hoping to build goes up, it will stay there.

SvilleKid
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM

But then again, you hate the cold!!! Luckily I've often been along for my snoring to keep you awake and alert!!

SvilleKid
10-18-2010, 09:44 PM
My son has to hunt with me for 2 more years, so need a 2-person stand/blind. If I have what I'd like, we will stay out there all day - so that when other hunters move, we have the leg up as the deer make a move.

Have both a climber and a ladder stand, but haven't had the chace to prepare the woods for shooting lanes and to get trees prepared to put them up.

Once a stand/blind like I'm hoping to build goes up, it will stay there.

Good luck with the project. The size shown on your link would almost require it be built on site from ground up. If you have access to air nailers, it will go much faster. I've help build them both ways (nailer verses hammer). Rent the nailer and a gas powered compressor if you don't have access to one. Makes all the difference when you are working overhead.

Personally, I can't see using aluminum tubing. Not enough weight savings to compensate for the need for special fasteners.

You might consider a 8x4 plan, simply cut the plans in half. Still lots of room in a 4x8 floorplan for an all-day hunt with two people. And a 4 foot floor span can be done with 2x4 material, saving much money over 2x6 or 2x8 floor joists.