PDA

View Full Version : Xikar or Palio?

dwoodward
10-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Okay. I knew I said I would never pay so much for a cutter.

;s

Well, I just shredded the cap on a 3rd cigar with a bad cut from my trusty double guillotine. This baby used to cut clean as a whistle, but I can honestly say that I don't smoke that often and this thing should not be dull already, but it appears that it is.

So, I really like the look of the Xikar, not a big fan of the way the Palio looks. But if the Palio performs a lot better than the Xikar then maybe I will bite.

Let me know what you think. :tu

MedicCook
10-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Many threads about this subject. IMO Palio. :tu

icehog3
10-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Both good cutters...I prefer Palio, I can shave the top off the cap every time.

Bill86
10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Both good cutters...I prefer Palio, I can shave the top off the cap every time.

This.

Here's how it goes, BOTH. IMO say you shave off the cap it's plugged I'd hit it with the Xikar. To me the Palio does better intricate work that the xikars just a beast. That said I still love my Palio more than my Xikar.

SUOrangeGuy
10-17-2010, 10:14 PM
I have both. The Xikar has more of a learning curve but once you get it your fine.

They both have great warranties.

You can't go wrong with either.

rharris
10-17-2010, 10:26 PM
I personally just happen to prefer the way the xikar fits my hand. I found the palio to be just a little to long for my fingers to use comfortably. The palio cuts awesome,but I end using the xikar more often.

Pat1075
10-17-2010, 10:44 PM
I love my xikar even ended up upgrading from the base model to the mammoth tusk Xi3 and I carry it with me everywhere. I think it does precision work just fine.

CigarGuy88
10-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Xikar Xi3 Carbon Fiber all the way!

pnoon
10-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Both are quality cutters from companies that offer great customer service.

I prefer the Palio.

And the owner of Palio is a member here and a helluva good guy

Emjaysmash
10-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I prefer Palio only because I always manage to pinch my skin when using a Xikar... I'm probably not using it right...

Bill86
10-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Nah the Xikar is a biter that's for sure. I've caught myself once or twice.

bvilchez
10-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I prefer Palio only because I always manage to pinch my skin when using a Xikar... I'm probably not using it right...

That's actually why I gave up on my Xikar. I gave it away to another BOTL looking for one. I love my alio though. Clean cut every time.

LostAbbott
10-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Try a really sharp pocket knife. I get a much better cut using my knife on anything but a torp.

bigdix
10-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Palio...and as Peter mentioned he is in fact one helluva guy. I had an issue with a new cutter once and he went above and beyond to take care of me. Even sent me a cigar or two. :tu This guy runs a top notch joint!! :2

lbowles2
10-18-2010, 06:14 AM
I really liked my Palio... that is until I tried the Xikar X8. I prefer the guillotine style so I didn't really care of the 'butterfly' Xikars. The X8 will handle up to a 64 ring guage cigar and cuts just as well as the Palio.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either of them. They both have a lifetime warranty. The Xi cutter do have a bit of a learning curve though.

tenbaseg
10-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Palio. I have 2.

I lost my xikar and didn't seem to care.

Buckeye Jack
10-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Personal Ranking

1 - Havana Cutter (if you can find them)
2 - Palio
3 - Swiss Army Knife Cutter (Do they still make these?)
4 - Davidoff Double Guillotine
5 - Xikar

Stevez
10-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Used Xikar mostly over the last 5 years and just purchased the Palio. I think the Palio is much better in my opinion and I love it. Perfect cut every time. Steve

Smokin Gator
10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Both are great cutters. I have both and tend to reach for the Xikar probably 10-1. I am sure it is my technique, but many times when I use the Palio the cap part that I cut flies all over the place. When I use a Xikar I get the cap in my hand intact.

Doctorossi
10-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Palio!

Volt
10-18-2010, 07:30 AM
I would say, what we think makes no difference to you and how you cut cigars. Visit a B&M, they usually have at least 1 of each out to use. Cut a few sticks and see what whrks best for you.

Now as to an "opinion"..... I have owned and used both. I find the Xikar heavy, wabbly in my hands (causing bad cuts) and pinch myself with them. The Palio is by far a better cutter for me. Currently I am using a Xikar until I can replace my lost Palio :sh

hscmit
10-18-2010, 07:30 AM
I have and use an xikar daily. Great product.

wayner123
10-18-2010, 07:41 AM
I would say, what we think makes no difference to you and how you cut cigars. Visit a B&M, they usually have at least 1 of each out to use. Cut a few sticks and see what whrks best for you.

Now as to an "opinion"..... I have owned and used both. I find the Xikar heavy, wabbly in my hands (causing bad cuts) and pinch myself with them. The Palio is by far a better cutter for me. Currently I am using a Xikar until I can replace my lost Palio :sh

Volt needs a Palio?? :hm

Volt
10-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Negative.... I think a stocling stuffer from the wife at Xmas :)

RevSmoke
10-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I have a Zino double-bladed guillotine that I've had since about 1988 or so, still cuts well. Picked up a Xikar a couple years ago that always does a nice job. Don't know much about the Palio, other than that lots of people like them.

I think if you get a quality cutter, you'll do OK. And both the Xikar and the Palio are quality with excellent warranties.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

bishjd123
10-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I've got both and the Palio has been my daily cutter since I got it. Maybe it was me, but the Palio idiot proofed my cuts. I never could get the Xikar to shave the cap like the Palio.

Wolfgang
10-18-2010, 09:30 AM
http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/out-the-front-automatics/microtech-otf/utx85-otf-series/microtech-utx-85-stonewash-125-10.jpg

perfect cutter

icehog3
10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Personal Ranking

1 - Havana Cutter (if you can find them)
2 - Palio
3 - Swiss Army Knife Cutter (Do they still make these?)
4 - Davidoff Double Guillotine
5 - Xikar

You forgot to mention "toenail clippers", Jack. :r

ucla695
10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm happy with my Palio. :tu

Prozac_Puros
10-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I'll have to go with the minority whip on this one...

Xikar

hammer26a
10-18-2010, 10:48 AM
i've got a xikar xi1 and i agree with suorangeguy... xikar seems to have a learning curve, but once i figured it out it cuts really well. i'm thinking of picking up a palio though; i love how it can double as a cigar rest

ninjavanish
10-18-2010, 10:48 AM
I believe Palio makes a good cutter but I have refused to use them since I dropped a slightly open one and tried to catch it and ended up shaving the pad of one of my fingers off. (Lesson learned, let that thing hit the ground)

I also have a good friend who managed to get me a personalized Xikar lighter/cutter set with my name laser engraved on it.

Believe it or not though... I most often end up using my fingernail. Ever since this old Dominican roller showed me how, I actually find it is the best method for keeping the cap intact throughout smoking.

As for the Palio vs. Xikar debate... both products are equally high quality imo...

Xikar has cooler looking product though... and more variety.

itzfrank
10-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Palio (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37415)

gijoey959
10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
I was looking at both, and while I haven't bought either yet, I'm gonna go with a Palio. Xikars look cool, but they cost too much, plus the Palio has a camo one-(P

Havanaaddict
10-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I run a cigar lounge / shop and I have people return Xikar's all the time!!! I love my Palio and I have used one for years and years. I have used a Xikar a few times and each time it seems to want to pinch the cap before it cuts it and tends to crack the end. The only other cutter I use is my PG Super cutter
Hand assembled in England with an anodized aluminum frame and durable Sheffield steel blade machined to 1/4 of 1/1000th of an inch. *OUT OF PRODUCTION*

CigarNut
10-18-2010, 12:01 PM
I have both the Palio and Xikar. If I am going to be out-and-about I will through my Xikar in my back pocket (it's all metal so if I sit on it it won't break). If I am going to a herf or at home I am more likely to use my Palio (I am afraid to through this in my back pocket due to the design and use of plastic).

Volt
10-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I run a cigar lounge / shop and I have people return Xikar's all the time!!! I love my Palio and I have used one for years and years. I have used a Xikar a few times and each time it seems to want to pinch the cap before it cuts it and tends to crack the end. The only other cutter I use is my PG Super cutter
Hand assembled in England with an anodized aluminum frame and durable Sheffield steel blade machined to 1/4 of 1/1000th of an inch. *OUT OF PRODUCTION*

Well put, now that someone has verbalized it, mine seem to do the same. I was having a hard time figuring out how to put it.

kelmac07
10-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I have both and in the past six months...I don't think I have even looked at my Xikar. Palio rocks!!! :banger Just don't let Tbone near it!! :r :r

RightAJ
10-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Which ever you can find cheaper!

I have both, and really love them equally... both provide a nasty sharp, straight cut every time and have fantastic warranties. Can't go wrong!

aj

Bill86
10-18-2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/out-the-front-automatics/microtech-otf/utx85-otf-series/microtech-utx-85-stonewash-125-10.jpg

perfect cutter

I have a few of those "cutters". They are a BIT pricier then palio and Xikar though. :r:r:r

RightAJ
10-18-2010, 04:12 PM
I have both the Palio and Xikar. If I am going to be out-and-about I will through my Xikar in my back pocket (it's all metal so if I sit on it it won't break). If I am going to a herf or at home I am more likely to use my Palio (I am afraid to through this in my back pocket due to the design and use of plastic).

Just for reference, it is actually made with "state-of-the art engineering polymers, not plastic! It is designed to withstand many years of use and shock" -Palio Site

aj

stevieray
10-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Just found my warranty card for my Palio cutter the other day while going through my desk. The Palio still cuts as good as the day I got it....and the date on the warranty card, April 2006. :)

CigarNut
10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
I have both the Palio and Xikar. If I am going to be out-and-about I will through my Xikar in my back pocket (it's all metal so if I sit on it it won't break). If I am going to a herf or at home I am more likely to use my Palio (I am afraid to through this in my back pocket due to the design and use of plastic).Either I had too much coffee yesterday or not enough -- quite a grammatical mistake there...

At least the words are spellled correctly... :rolleyes: