PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Tell Them?

vale
10-16-2010, 02:46 AM
Yes, everybody smoker knows and has been asked before, if you know that smoking cigars is very detrimental to your health (because of the nicotine an d so on)

I tell them to ask that to people who like cheese, as more people die from cholestrol than nicotine.

What do you tell them?

Don Fernando
10-16-2010, 03:33 AM
I tell them to mind their own business, and that smoking a cigar loweres my stress levels, therefore declining the chances of a heart attack.

Bill86
10-16-2010, 03:46 AM
I tell them to look at all the fast food they eat. One of us is going to suffer much quicker than the other and they are costing health-care IMMEDIATELY. I also suggest they tax Mcdonalds and leave my cigars/cigarettes alone. I pay for my habit with a higher tax, the health-care afterwards is unnecessary they get me for what $3 a pack and how much on cigars?

Bunker
10-16-2010, 04:13 AM
Piss off!

Subvet642
10-16-2010, 04:39 AM
I work in a hospital, and I tell them that non-smokers die every day.

or:

"I've got this pink spot on my lung I'm trying to get rid of."

or:

"It takes ten years off your life, but they're at the end, and they suck anyway."

or:

"I'm trying to avoid the nursing home."

or:

"If tobacco taxes pay for healthcare for poor kids, then I'm doin' it for the kids; I'm a philanthropist!"

And finally, my sig line:

bigdix
10-16-2010, 05:31 AM
"F*ck off." :tu This is my personal favorite.

RevSmoke
10-16-2010, 05:56 AM
George Burns smoked more cigars than I do, between 10 & 15 a day. He attended his doctor's funeral, who suggested he quit, and lived to be 100 years old. Personally, I cannot afford to smoke that many a day, so I probably won't live that long.

madwilliamflint
10-16-2010, 06:52 AM
I blow smoke in their face and then suggest they engage in an attempt to procreate in solitude.

Lumpold
10-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Remind them that Nicotine has been shown to stop alzhiemer's, and to come back in 3 decades when they're going down the pan and you aren't.

Also, point out the for general Scientific purposes, a 92.5% accuracy is required for something to be true, apart from smoking, where 'peer pressure' has reduced this to 82%.

Or, in line with some others here, and as I pretty much did (see my Oliva V Lancero review), point out their hypocrisy and tell them to F*ck off!

dvickery
10-16-2010, 07:19 AM
the death rate remains steady @100%...smoker or non-smoker...me and you all end up in the same place.

derrek :hm

gijoey959
10-16-2010, 07:22 AM
"So's your face"

Does it make sense for every statement or question? No.
Does it leave them confused as you walk away smiling? Every time

Blueface
10-16-2010, 07:40 AM
I tell them to mind their own business, and that smoking a cigar loweres my stress levels, therefore declining the chances of a heart attack.

Aside from that, I tell them I see my General Practitioner regularly for check ups and bi annual blood work.
Additionally, I see him at times I am sick.
Additionally, my wife also sees him.

EACH and EVERY time we see him, I take him a handful of Cuban Cigars so he can enjoy on the golf course.

So......if good enough for my family doctor, good enough for me.:D

bobarian
10-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes, everybody smoker knows and has been asked before, if you know that smoking cigars is very detrimental to your health (because of the nicotine an d so on)

What do you tell them?

I am not sure this is an accurate statement. Although there are many definitive studies regarding cigarette consumption, there have only been one or two on cigar smoking and I dont think they have been conclusive. Nothing good can come from inhaling burning leaves, but the nicotine levels delivered by cigars is relatively low. In cigarettes the chemical additives are even more carcinogenic than nicotine, none of which are present in cigars.

I have only been smoking regularly(2-4/day) for the past 4 years and at this stage in my life I no longer have to answer to anyone about my personal choices. :2

markem
10-16-2010, 09:25 AM
I tend to say, "thank you for your concern"

Very few push it past that. I get to be nice to someone and they get to play at being concerned. Everybody wins.

btw, studies show that the leading cause of death is birth. If you wish to avoid death ...

shilala
10-16-2010, 09:28 AM
I say "Yeah, I know. You want one?"
Anyone that really knows me is happy that I just settled on cigars instead of one of a million other sh!tty vices that I could be involved in at that particular moment.

kelmac07
10-16-2010, 09:32 AM
I just ignore them...

Kreth
10-16-2010, 09:59 AM
"Have you heard about the new study linking tobacco use and violent outbursts?"

;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Emjaysmash
10-16-2010, 10:02 AM
I am not sure this is an accurate statement. Although there are many definitive studies regarding cigarette consumption, there have only been one or two on cigar smoking and I dont think they have been conclusive. Nothing good can come from inhaling burning leaves, but the nicotine levels delivered by cigars is relatively low. In cigarettes the chemical additives are even more carcinogenic than nicotine, none of which are present in cigars.

:tpd:

If you look at other nicotine-delivering methods, it's not the nicotine that causes the problems, but the additives or by-products associated with that method.
Nasal snuff has been around for hundreds of years and there are no documented (or undocumented for that matter) cases that show health risk associated to snuff at all.

From what I read, smoking 2 cigars or less a day has little to no effect on your probability of getting cancer. This is from an ACS study. (Of course, probability is far from absolute, so don't base your life on it.)

Anyway, these are more reason for you to justify your hobby to yourself, rather than to others.

If its your family telling you, smile, tell them you love them and thank them for their concern. If it's a stranger, well all bets are off.

MedicCook
10-16-2010, 10:07 AM
"Have you heard about the new study linking tobacco use and violent outbursts?"

;)

bazookajoe
10-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I tend to say, "thank you for your concern"

Very few push it past that. I get to be nice to someone and they get to play at being concerned. Everybody wins...

hscmit
10-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I blow smoke in their face and then suggest they engage in an attempt to procreate in solitude.

that

The Poet
10-16-2010, 11:42 AM
I just ignore them...

Pretty much the same for me, up to a point. First I'll just say "OK", and will drop it if they do. If they persist in telling me that smoking can be harmful for one's health, I remind them that the same is also true when it comes to sticking one's nose into some stranger's business, as it is a damn good way to get said nose broken. :bx

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Pretty much the same for me, up to a point. First I'll just say "OK", and will drop it if they do. If they persist in telling me that smoking can be harmful for one's health, I remind them that the same is also true when it comes to sticking one's nose into some stranger's business, as it is a damn good way to get said nose broken. :bx

:noon

icehog3
10-16-2010, 01:36 PM
"I see dead people".

That should send them packing, confused.

kydsid
10-16-2010, 01:44 PM
nciht spreaken sie e english
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3
10-16-2010, 01:46 PM
"Ich sehe verstorbenen personen."

markem
10-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I'll have you know that these are authentic JFK collectibles.

kgraybill
10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
I tell them that I feel sorry for people that don't smoke, drink ... because eventually, they will die of nothing.

warren G.
10-16-2010, 09:47 PM
I just light up another cigar.

MajorCaptSilly
10-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I paid more for this cigar than you paid for your shoes. I suggest you let me enjoy it.

MCS

Kiss079
10-16-2010, 10:26 PM
"It's cheaper than the two eight-balls and bottle a Jack that I used to go through a day" :)

Matt-N-Ga
10-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I usually tell them ( if its a male) that smoking helps me relax, which lowers my stress level, which lowers the chances that I may fly off the handle at the first stupid remark I hear, which in turn for him means a slightly ( I say slightly cause I'm sure he's annoying regardless) chance that I'm going to punch him in the face for asking me the annoying question in the first place.

Matt-N-Ga
10-16-2010, 10:55 PM
If it's a female, I politely tell her I'm married...that usually ends it right there. LOL

Stinky
10-16-2010, 11:34 PM
My response has varied over the years. However, you've given me some good ideas!

My wife has a cousin she is very close to. She's a career RN (nurse) and anti smoker. One time she made a typical wise crack directed at my cigar smoking in front of several other cousins. Knowing they were heading out for "drinks" I said: Do you drink?
She said: Well, yes.
I said: Then, shut up!
They all laughed and I said my daily cigar (or two) is not what's going to kill me! "All things in Moderation."

To the occasional butt-in-ski:
"You have cool aide all over you lips."

or:
"The tobacco-Nazis have you brainwashed so you don't see our nation consuming soda, ice cream and potato chips all day."

or:
"You, my friend, obviously have no class."

or:
"Cigars help with my anxiety disorder! My parole officer gave me this box of cigars because I went a month without bustin someone in the nose!"

to an old woman:
"Hey! Come on, now. I didn't complain that YOU smell like dead fish!"

and, for people who know me or our family:
"Cigar tobacco is unlike all other tobacco. It's specially grown and blended for flavors & aromas. It's the only tobacco that is fermented. Fermentation sweats out the ammonia and most of the nicotine. Cigars are enjoyed for the flavor, aromas and relaxation. And absolutely not to be compared to cigarettes!"

gvarsity
10-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Most cases I know of good samaritans showing concern for my health due to my cigar smoking are really just trying express they don't like cigars behind false concern. It is insincere and/or ignorant. There is often an assumption that since cigarettes are toxic any tobacco product is equally toxic which documented to be untrue. Regardless it is almost never sincere concern rather than (poorly) hidden disapproval.

Like many other people have already stated these same people don't seem to feel the need to show concern over my consumption of alcohol (a known toxin), fatty food, high fructose corn syrup or other high calorie zero nutrition food or beverage, almost any calorie free sweetner, the fact I drive or ride in a car etc... etc... The cigarette smoker chiding the cigar smoker for health issues is the most ridiculous. All of these activities are significantly more likely to shorten my life than smoking cigars.

Generally I ignore these people. In the rare case it is sincere but ignorant I explain the actual risks (as best we can tell) to the point their eyes glaze over and they leave me alone. If they are rude about it I respond accordingly. For the most part I just don't give a damn about their concerns.

warren G.
10-17-2010, 12:17 AM
I remember I told this nice couple "It's no worse then a Big-Mac..." They went "AHHHH you're right..."

Bill86
10-17-2010, 12:22 AM
I also make it a point that I ingest gallons of whiskey and eat nothing but meat. If it isn't a dead animal I don't want it. Then I tell them the risks of all the sugar in the soda they drink....usually they are half confused or laughing and leave me be. Either way I win.

Lumpold
10-17-2010, 07:13 AM
I actually did some maths last night to further my argument with anti-smokers.
This just covers tax raised by cigarette smokers.

Approx 1/5 of the UK population smokes.
With 62million people, and allowing for children, this makes me put the number of smokers at around 8million people.
Tax on a packet of cigarettes in the EU should be at least 66%.
At an average of £5 a packet, this puts the tax income at around £3.50 a pack.
If we nicely say that British smokers, each, smoke a pack every other day.
This makes a single contribution to the tax coffers of £640, or just under, for each smoker in the UK, with a total of £5,110,000,000, with around £3,000,000,000 or so going to the NHS for treatment of smoking related illness.
Said treatment, by their own accounts, cost the NHS approx. £70,000,000
That makes an overpayment of more than £2bn.
The NHS is apparently losing money on a daily basis.
Imagine how poor the medical service for non-smokers would be if the health tax on tobacco was reduced to an accurate level.

sikk50
10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
My favorite is to explain that everybody has to die, and if I'm hightening my chances by doing it at least I know it as opposed to mirical pills or diets that the effects are only seen years later.

Smokin Gator
10-17-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't every remember anyone, other than my wife, saying anything negative about me smoking cigars. If they did I think I would just chuckle and walk away. As for the wife... I just don't pay any attention!!

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I remember I told this nice couple "It's no worse then a Big-Mac..." They went "AHHHH you're right..."

I think you are tons better off smoking a cigar than eating a Fat-Mac. No comparison:2

icehog3
10-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I think you are tons better off smoking a cigar than eating a Fat-Mac. No comparison:2

Plus it tastes a lot better, Nate. :tu

blugill
10-17-2010, 04:05 PM
I usually sit in my front yard and enjoy a cigar and a drink. No one else around while the wife is inside. I don't really have people stopping by on the street and express concern over my health:)

If they did I'd probably offer them one and a seat and we could chat about it:)

benedic08
10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I do it like this:
http://memefolder.com/image/647.jpg

hotreds
10-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Damn! When did they discover that?!

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Plus it tastes a lot better, Nate. :tu

Definitely:tu

thebayratt
10-17-2010, 05:15 PM
I tell them "there has been no study shown that Cigar smoking causes cancer/death. You don't inhale cigar smoke, its natural and not laced with chemicals like cigarettes. More people have probly died from obeistiy than from cigar smoking"

maninblack
10-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Tell them to piss off and then blow a big ring of smoke in their face. Puff on this biatches!

OLS
10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
I tell them not NEARLY as detrimental as I can be to THEIR health if they don't bugger off. "You've stolen
every other pleasure I had and taken every smoking place I used to love, so if you are bothering me in one
of my LAST places, you are treading very near finding out what detriment means."

replicant_argent
10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
I have used this one once or twice.
"Madam, I smoke these wretched things because typically they perform the noble duty of keeping harpies such as yourself at a greater distance."

I am usually nowhere near as eloquent.

icehog3
10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I have used this one once or twice.
"Madam, I smoke these wretched things because typically they perform the noble duty of keeping harpies such as yourself at a greater distance."

I am usually nowhere near as eloquent.

You said "harpies". :r

Volcodom
10-17-2010, 11:17 PM
To my family it's some argument about how alcohol does more damage than some narcotics, and that on the current list even cigarettes rank lower so my all natural stick of delicious tobacco is way better than that glass of wine.

As for other peoples it usually goes "No this isn't the leading cause of a quicker death, that title goes to breathing" this followed by a nice big puff.-(P

Nathan King
10-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Everything good in moderation.

Hey, replicant_argent,

The thought of this squawking at you while smoking a cigar brought me laughs:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Harpij.jpg/250px-Harpij.jpg

icehog3
10-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Everything good in moderation.

Hey, replicant_argent,

The thought of this squawking at you while smoking a cigar brought me laughs:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Harpij.jpg/250px-Harpij.jpg

Pete would just sic Buzzy on that Harpie!!

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/buzzy-1.gif