PDA

View Full Version : Oliva V Lancero

Lumpold
10-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Before this review starts... one warning... no puking when you see my ugly mug, but it's pretty hard to smoke a cigar, take and pose for photos on a smartphone and hold 2 dog leads :D

OK, so today the dogs have been in all day - they decide they'd quite like to go out as all the kids from the local school are trekking home. I don't know if this is a 'local' thing, but apparently, when you are a school kid, and you see someone with a dog, you bark at the dog. You tend to scream when my dog then gets told to 'go on', because you think I'm inciting the dog to attack you, rather than to stop sniffing a pile of dog sh*t on the pavement.

So, any way, before leaving the house, I clip and check the pre-light draw. It's an easy draw, with hints of spicy chocolate and leather. Construction is virtually flawless... this is my first Oliva stogie, but this seems to be the norm, which can't be a bad thing.

The initial hits upon lighting are spice, with a nice amount of smoke covering my tongue. After negotiating a couple more feral 'yoof', I come to the lake, and get some peace. The smoke develops a more leathery quality to it - not exactly like licking a pair of rugby boots, but hell, I always seemed to enjoy chewing on leather. The spicy flavour is still dominant, but not over-powering. As I come round the corner, a young mother is about with her family, and her parents. She berates me for smoking a cigar near her child, and I have to remonstrate, and point out her own father is smoking a roll-up cigarette while carrying her son. I give her a sh*tty look and walk on.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3618/img00123201010151638.jpg
The ash on this smoke starts out pretty much white, but slowly morphs in to a salt'n'pepper kind of grey. As I work through the smoke, the flavours develop nicely, with the leather beginning to work through the spice, and a kind of 'chocolate off the ice cream stick (COTICS)' hint in the background. I'm really enjoying the profile, and the draw is still spot on. The cigar is suffering from what I like to call '(Cuban) Self Correction Syndrome', in such as while there are minor (and I mean minor) burn problems, in two or three puffs, they sort themselves out.
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8026/img00124201010151642.jpg
Trudging through the woods, the stick opens up a little more, and the COTICS hint from earlier is now having a bit of a punch up with the leather and spice, but in a good way, with the spice and leather on the tongue, and the COTICS giving them a swift kick up arse on the exhale. I've gotta say, while the profile of this cigar is more 'sat on the porch with a rocking chair' than 'bugatti veyron on the autobahn', I always enjoyed watching the world go by, rather than fly by.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/914/img00131201010151718.jpg
Coming back round the end of the lake, I get to perch on a bench and take a small break, and with the cigar coming in to the final 3rd, it's a good chance to get a feel for any changes in the flavour. The spice isn't so much going away, as mellowing out. The leather is a little more pronounced, and it's great. COTICS keeps twanging at the back of my tongue, and the top of my throat... yummy! Anyway, the dogs are getting bored, so I head back home, and move to my back garden for the last couple of inches. The ash starts lightening again, and the spice hits up again, a bit of a sucker-punch at the end of the smoke.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/606/img00137201010151731.jpg

Overall, I really enjoyed this smoke, and would certainly consider purchasing these again. I must admit, the lancero is one of my favourite vitolas, and this one didn't disappoint. While it isn't the most mind-blowing smoke I've had, it's is by no means a bad, or even mediocre, smoke, it's damn good, with good flavours, construction that was near enough perfect, and I had a good time smoking it. Winner.

htown
10-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the review!

BigAsh
10-15-2010, 03:25 PM
thanks for the review....and snapshot into the "dementia" of the neighborhood!

TheDudeAbides
10-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Great review on one of my "go-to" smokes. I'm into my third box of these, and they've never let me down.
-Dude
{certifiable lancero nut}

LostAbbott
10-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Great review. I just picked up a 2009 sampler of V's so I am even more excited to try them out now.

Smokin Gator
10-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the review of a dang fine smoke!!

Mr.Erskine
10-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the review.. I love the entire V line

gvarsity
10-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice review. Always cracks me up (in an irritating way) when someone complains about a cigar smoker and is either smoking a cigarette or tolerating cigarettes without complaint. People are so ignorant. There in no additive poisons in a cigar like there is in a cigarette.

Ranger_B
10-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Im a lancero whore to begin with. Even if I was not I am pretty sure the V lancero would still be my favorite in the line. I just think the flavors are mixed best in this format. Thanks for a great review.

68TriShield
10-16-2010, 07:21 AM
I agree James,that is a favorite of mine right now.The strength level is right for me as well.Always enjoyed.

MarioF
10-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the review, I just ordered a 5 pack

Doctorossi
10-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure why, but these don't do it for me. Beautiful construction and performance always, and I can't fault the flavors in any generally agreed upon way, but something just strikes my palate off-axis and leaves me feeling unsatisfied. :sh

SvilleKid
10-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Glad this stick lived up to it's billing! Great review. The "V" lance is one of my two favorite NC lanceros, and lances are my favorite viola also! The Tat included with the package is the other one. I'll look forward with interest to your thoughts when you get around to the Tat lance!!!

Powers
10-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the review brother!

Lumpold
10-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Glad this stick lived up to it's billing! Great review. The "V" lance is one of my two favorite NC lanceros, and lances are my favorite viola also! The Tat included with the package is the other one. I'll look forward with interest to your thoughts when you get around to the Tat lance!!!

Roger, Wilco! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to try them!

Louistogies
10-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Good review.

Starscream
10-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Good review, AWESOME beard!:tu

Lumpold
10-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, IMO, my beard was the best bit of this review :D

BTcigars
10-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Nice review, thanks!

kelmac07
10-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Nice review...thanks for sharing.

slickster81
10-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Excellent review Lumpy...and I agree, the Oliva V Lancero is one primo sweet smoke....

Also, I couldn't help but have a little fun with your pics....anybody else see a resemblance?

KenyanSandBoa
10-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Great review...both a review and a story. Well done!! :tu

Great review on one of my "go-to" smokes. I'm into my third box of these, and they've never let me down.
-Dude
{certifiable lancero nut}

These have become a go-to for me as well. I never really smoked lanceros at all, but Ryan (MedicCook) turned me onto the V lancero and I haven't looked back. :dr:dr

rizzle
10-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Feral yoofs...I like that. :D

Nathan King
10-25-2010, 09:23 AM
I have avoided the Lancero because the ring gauge made the cigar look like it would not offer as much flavor. I will have to give them a second look.

KenyanSandBoa
10-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I have avoided the Lancero because the ring gauge made the cigar look like it would not offer as much flavor. I will have to give them a second look.

Definitely give it a try...I had the same assumption as you going into it...boy was I WRONG!! :D You get much more flavor from the wrapper because of the higer wrapper to filler ratio and that can go a long with a flavorful wrapper. :dr

Lumpold
10-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Excellent review Lumpy...and I agree, the Oliva V Lancero is one primo sweet smoke....

Also, I couldn't help but have a little fun with your pics....anybody else see a resemblance?

Now all I need is my own country... although I do play the Tropico series of games quite a bit :tu

As the SandBoa said, Lanceros tend to take a lot of flavour from the wrapper... I always enjoy the smaller RG smokes for this. Also, I find that a 7/7.5"x38 stick lasts about the same time as a robusto, but the flavours seem more pronounced!

KenyanSandBoa
10-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Now all I need is my own country... although I do play the Tropico series of games quite a bit :tu

AWESOME GAME!!! I just finished Tropico 3...ok...done derailing. :D

jmsremax
10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Great review...both a review and a story. Well done!! :tu

These have become a go-to for me as well. I never really smoked lanceros at all, but Ryan (MedicCook) turned me onto the V lancero and I haven't looked back. :dr:dr

I can't agree more..... Had my first lancero Friday night and it was freaking good :noon

The V double robusto has been a staple of my mine for some time, but now it appears it won't be the only V in my collection.

RevSmoke
10-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I can't agree more..... Had my first lancero Friday night and it was freaking good :noon

The V double robusto has been a staple of my mine for some time, but now it appears it won't be the only V in my collection.

Vs in my rotation include: Double Robusto, Double Toro, Churchill Extra, and of course the Lancero.

slickster81
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Give the Padron (regular series) Panatela a try, they pack a lot of flavor in a small RG.

I was talking to a roller about the thinner cigars once, and he said the blends of the thinner RG's have more aromatic leaf in them to give more flavor in a smaller package, also he said the wrappers are always of the finest quality so as to impart the best flavor as well.

I love the thinner RG cigars, and have recently gotten in touch with Dr. Alejandro Martinez Cuenca of Joya De Nicaragua, my all time favorite NC asking that he create a Lancero or Panatela in the Celebracion blend, and maybe a PC in that blend. Hopefully.....

Beklage
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the review and sick beard!

papichulo
11-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Great review. The first V's Papajohn hooked me up with a few years ago were incredible, but not that way anymore IMHO. As for the lancero, I had one last night that had lighting issues. I am going to keep these in the back of my humidor and revisit them in a year or two.

Comedian
11-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Great review! I have not yet had the pleasure of smoking the V lancero.. although I have smoked the delicious Illusione Holy Lance maduro and the downright amazing El Triunfador lancero. I love the size!

I'm going to pick up the Oliva V lancero when I get the chance. :)

From one bearded BOTL to another, nice beard, man! Haha

Blak Smyth
10-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Just smoked my first one last night, gotta say an instant top ten smokes for me.
I have had the #4 and loved it, but this is even beter IMO.
It had the perfect amount of spice and chocolate flavors!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6229/6285926018_db8b956be3.jpg

HollywoodQue
10-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the review!

WittyUserName
10-27-2011, 05:39 AM
This is a great cigar. Jake bombed me one and I need to get more.

dave
10-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Well done! Thanks for the review, the humor, and the reminder that it is well past time for me to dig one of these out.

LigaPrivadaT84
10-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Excellent review on one of my favorites.
:tu

gator_79
10-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Very nice review. Although I consider my self in the minority, the only Oliva that does it for me is the V Maduro.

SvilleKid
10-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Just smoked my first one last night, gotta say an instant top ten smokes for me.
I have had the #4 and loved it, but this is even beter IMO.
It had the perfect amount of spice and chocolate flavors!

Oh yeah, Shane. The V Lance is in my top five! I knew James would like it when I sent them to him!! I should have purchased half a dozen boxes in 2008 when I got the one I did buy!!!! They age very well, only getting better and better with age!

Mutombo
10-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Nice review, the V-blend really shines in the lancero format.

bdgile
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Great review for a great cigar!

JarvisAmadio
11-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Nice review! I definitely think the Oliva V is the best of the Oliva Series cigars. I have smoked the O and G lines, and find the V to be very flavorful, well-balanced, and smooth. I enjoyed the Oliva V Churchill Extra, which is a bit of a commitment at 7 x 52, but for a cigar that tastes good, I enjoyed it to the nub.

kokobill
11-17-2011, 03:50 PM
One of the few lanceros I've enjoyed, great review. Bang-for-buck Oliva V's are great!

thecatch83
11-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Great review. I just picked up a 2009 sampler of V's so I am even more excited to try them out now.

I have two of the same boxes and on top of being a great deal, the V's are delicious!