PDA

View Full Version : Nestor Miranda Art Deco

OHRD
10-15-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.toastedfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Nestor-Miranda-Art-Deco-Cigar1-555x202.jpg

Size: 4.5×50, Coffee Break

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo 2006

Binder: Dominican Criollo 1998 and Nicaraguan Habano 2000

Filler: Nicaraguan Corojo 1999 and Dominican San Vicente

Strength: Medium

Price: $6-8

Grade: 8.9

Released at the 78th IPCPR Annual Convention and Trade in New Orleans this year, the Nestor Miranda Art Deco is the latest collaboration between Don Pepin Garcia and Nestor Miranda. The filler is composed of 60% Nicaraguan Corojo and 40% Dominican San Vicente, a Dominican Crilollo’98 and Nicaraguan Habano ’00 binder, and a Nicaraguan Corojo ’06 wrapper. This is a departure for Pepin, as he is very comfortable with Nicaraguan tobacco; however on this particular blend, he utilizes 40% Dominican tobacco.

The presentation of this smoke is in step with the Art Deco name. The cigars are presented with a metallic band in art-deco designed tins of 21 smokes. Available in three sizes, Coffee Break /4.5×50; Robusto Grande/5.5×54; and Gran Toro/6×60, we have selected the Coffee Break for review here at Toasted Foot.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The Corojo wrapper on the new offering from Nestor Miranda is pretty smooth with the exception of a few veins. The triple cap is constructed well and the smoke is well packed with a good weight in the palm. The pre-light aroma is of earth along the wrapper with a hint of sweet spice at the foot. On the cold draw I pick a sharp blast of spice that hits on the back of the throat. Lastly the band on this cigar is an eye-catcher to say the least; these smokes look like they should be for sale in the lobby of the Chrysler building.

Burn, 1.8:
Cut, toasted, and lit, the draw on the Art Deco is nice from start to finish. The white ash holds well past one inch before falling into the tray. The smoke temperature is nice for the most part, but warms up a bit towards the end.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first puff on the cigar produces earthy notes with a lot of spice mixed in on the finish. The cigar balances out into the first third with notes of earth, coffee, and a subtle spice on the finish. There is a sweetness at times that comes through the spice and it is warm on the palate. The second third continues to mellow out a bit and the notes are consistent with the above profile, but with a little less earthiness. The last third is even more subdued with only a hint of spice present and the finish continues to be long but not very heavy.

Overall, 2.7:
I was pretty excited to get my hands on this smoke and in this particular size. I enjoyed this smoke but I will be honest, it did not blow me away like the Special Selection blend in this same size did. I enjoy trying anything produced by Nestor Miranda and Don Pepin, so this smoke was not a disappointment by any means, but by comparison I enjoyed their other two collaborations more. Only available in B&Ms, this cigar may be hard to find, but it is worth a purchase.

(Total: 8.9)

hscmit
10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
nice review

NCRadioMan
10-15-2010, 10:47 AM
I've had a handful of them and they are pretty darn good!

Matt-N-Ga
10-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Great review, and dead-on. These are great smokes. Have you had the chance to meet Nestor yet? If you ever get the chance, it's definatly worth it, he has some great stories behind why he creates and names his cigars.

kelmac07
10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Another superb review Matthew!! :tu

pinotguy
10-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Have these been officially released? I've been eager to try these but have not been able to find any.

If anyone can provide some leads on where I can pick some of these up, it would be appreciated.