PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Unlimited

OHRD
10-13-2010, 10:11 AM
http://www.toastedfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Diesel-Unlimited-Cigar-2-555x213.jpg

Size: 5.5×54, d.5

Wrapper: Honduran Ligero

Filler: Nicaraguan and Mexican

Strength: Full

Price: Box of 20, $69

Grade: 9.2

The Diesel Unlimited is the latest creation from young masterblender Abdel “AJ” Fernandez, and was released at the 2010 IPCPR in New Orleans. AJ already has an incredible, and growing list of cigars to his credit, including the Man O’ War, A. Fernandez, Rocky Patel’s Fusion, Signature and ITC 10th Anniversary, the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet and Artisan, and the Padilla Habano, among others. Prior to the release of the “Unlimited” blend, AJ has released the Diesel Unholy Cocktail and the Diesel Shorty. The Unlimited utilizes a Honduran Ligero wrapper grown in the Copan region of Honduras. This tobacco requires a great deal of fermentation to get the combustion and flavor needed to be used in this manner.

AJ is currently harvesting around 40,000 pounds of Nicaraguan Habano-seed leaves that he’ll use for his many blends. AJ has seen a lot of growth in his days since leaving Cuba and he now oversees 100 rollers and over 1,000 employees.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The Honduran wrapper is dark, oily, and just plain out inviting in appearance. There is some toothiness and also thick a vein or two located on the stick. The cigar is well packed with good weight in the palm and there are no soft spots to be found on this stick. The label at the foot is also a nice touch. The cap is a bit out of sorts but it’s going to get clipped anyway. The pre-light aroma is dominated by earthy tobacco and the cold draw produces the same notes with just a bit of sweetness.

Burn, 1.8:
The burn is even on this smoke throughout and it carries a nice draw. The ash holds well and the color is a consistent white. There are no variations in the burn pattern and this cigar smokes like a champ.

Flavor, 2.8:
The first puff produces a solid base of earthy tobacco with just a touch of spice that has a bit of sweetness to it. The first third follows the above profile but the finish warms up, not in temperature, but in mouth feel. In the second third, the Unlimited really opens up with more flavor and spice that has notes of earthiness and oak with a continued sweetness on the finish. The last third finds more spice in the picture with a long and heavy finish, which is meaty in texture.

Overall, 2.8:
In my opinion, this is another winner from A.J. I wasn’t able to pick out as many notes as I usually do, but the overall balance of tobacco and spice was very pleasing. Priced to sell at less than four bucks a pop, this cigar is a must try for any smoker that enjoys a full flavored and full bodied smoke.

(Total: 9.2)

Nefari0us
10-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the review! I've had the Unholy but have yet to try the Unlimited. I'll definitely have to get my hands on a few

kelmac07
10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Another fine review Matthew!! :tu

Montano
10-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I really like these :)

EricF
10-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I love the UC! I need to get me sum of these!

longknocker
10-13-2010, 04:46 PM
So Is This Stronger & Fuller Bodied Than The UnHoly Coctail? Nice Review!:tu

Ferrari5180
10-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Great review! For that price, I would definitely smoke these as regulars if they are good. Will get a hold of them once my stash gets consumed. I have always looked at the Diesels with skepticism due to their name, but many people seem to love these.

bscottskangum
10-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Love the Diesel Unholy Coctail, have been wanting to try some of the Unlimiteds but just couldn't pull the trigger...you may have just pushed me over the edge :tu

Great Review!

jimmyk26
10-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Last night I had the Diesel d.x. It was okay, but it wasn't nearly as good as the Unholy Cocktail and the MOW (Ruination). Maybe with sometime they'll get better, but I'm not rushing out to get more.

s15driftking
05-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Just smoked my first. My new go to

TBone
05-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Great review Matt

thecatch83
05-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Great price, great smoke! Thanks!

Sherlockholms
05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Nice review, very well laid out Matt!