PDA

View Full Version : I bought a new Plasma TV, now what?

Darrell
10-11-2010, 08:00 AM
So, I finally broke down and replaced my old JVC with this TV:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM210655236P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

I don't know much about TV's, I hear that Plasma's need to be "broken in" properly and calibrated.

I wondered if some of the TV guys can help me with the do's and do not's of my new TV?

Thanks in advance.

AD720
10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Not much need to break in anymore, burn-in is much less of a consideration with the new TV's then it used to be with the first and second gen plasmas. Spending $500 to have an $800 TV professionally calibrated seems like a waste to me.

1 - Don't ever put a plasma TV on it's side. They must be upright at all times. Keep this in mind when moving and unboxing.

2 - Once you get it plugged in and set up check the picture settings. Chances are it will be in what we like to call the factory set "torch mode", with the brightness and contrast jacked all the way up to make it stand out from the TV next to it in the store. Bring everything down do a moderate level.

3- Grab an AVIA or DVE disk: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/aviaorve.html

Enjoy your new TV!

shilala
10-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Just plug it in and fly, D . You're good to go.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Andy!

Is it true that I should not ever play more than an hour of video games at a time?

AD720
10-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Andy!

Is it true that I should not ever play more than an hour of video games at a time?

Nope. Have fun. Don't leave it paused for like 6 hours or anything. But burn-in is much less of a consideration anymore.

drob
10-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Next step is a blu-ray player. :)

kelmac07
10-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Was always told not to "pause" (DVR, Tivo, etc) a Plasma TV. Burning images can happen faster with a plasma.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Nope. Have fun. Don't leave it paused for like 6 hours or anything. But burn-in is much less of a consideration anymore.

Schweet!

I am going to get one for sure! :D

hammondc
10-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Was always told not to "pause" (DVR, Tivo, etc) a Plasma TV. Burning images can happen faster with a plasma.

Years ago that was true. I suppose if you leave a static image up for 12 hours or so, there may be a problem. Even then, most never plasmas have a feature to erase the image. Essentially it does a white 'blast' to the screen.

As for gaming, I have done 4+ hours on my Panasonic plasma with zero problems.

CigarNut
10-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Get DirecTV :)

GTsetGO
10-11-2010, 08:31 AM

PS3 is your friend.

gaming system and a bluray player all in one.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 09:16 AM
A PS3 is tempting, but the only game I want for it is MLB The Show and I have that for PSP.

BeerAdvocate
10-11-2010, 09:19 AM
PS3 is your friend.

gaming system and a bluray player all in one.

:tpd:

jmsremax
10-11-2010, 09:24 AM
First thing is HD cable. :tu

pektel
10-11-2010, 09:34 AM

This reminds me of a craigslist ad from a while back:

(warning: adult language)

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/craigslist-ad-of-the-day-free-tv/

Darrell
10-11-2010, 09:38 AM
This reminds me of a craigslist ad from a while back:

(warning: adult language)

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/craigslist-ad-of-the-day-free-tv/

Lulz.

aich75013
10-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I have a Samsung and have noticed some slight burn in from leaving the guide for the satellite up too long. I can see the grid pattern later. It goes away but worried me.
I since found an option in the menu that is supposed to shift the pixels occasionally to reduce this problem. It was turned off by default so it is now turned on. This was recent but I haven't noticed the grids since.

stewshi
10-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Never go to a retail store and buy an HDMI cable unless you like giving money away. Now that I think about it you should never buy any cables from a box store like Best Buy unless in an emergency. They are almost always cheaper online by a lot. Heres some from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi

Oh and I have a PS3 and its the way to go. Might cost you a bit more now but the features and constant upgrading of the firmware is worth it. Dont know if your TV has Wi-Fi or internet capaibilities but with the PS3 you can also watch NetFlix over the PS3's built in Wi-Fi connection. No internet cables needed to connect.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Never go to a retail store and buy an HDMI cable unless you like giving money away. Now that I think about it you should never buy any cables from a box store like Best Buy unless in an emergency. They are almost always cheaper online by a lot. Heres some from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi

Oh and I have a PS3 and its the way to go. Might cost you a bit more now but the features and constant upgrading of the firmware is worth it. Dont know if your TV has Wi-Fi or internet capaibilities but with the PS3 you can also watch NetFlix over the PS3's built in Wi-Fi connection. No internet cables needed to connect.

Hm, the built in wireless ALMOST has be convinced to get a PS3.

T.G
10-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Monoprice.com and bluejeans cable are also two good places to get cables.

Monoprice cables tend to be a little bit stiff, but once installed, most of the time this isn't an issue.

elderboy02
10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
PS3's rock

mariogolbee
10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Enjoy your new TV D. And now that you have it may I suggest picking up a Wii for countless hours of interactive fun with your new TV!

pektel
10-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Remember to securely fasten the wristband.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Enjoy your new TV D. And now that you have it may I suggest picking up a Wii for countless hours of interactive fun with your new TV!

I have a Wii, if I didn't I would have bought yours. :D

T.G
10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I bought a new Plasma TV, now what?

Message from Ahbroody: Don't play ball in the house.

GTsetGO
10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
PS3 again. can't go wrong with it.

also, let me know if you need any HDMI cables. i can get them wholesale.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 10:19 AM
PS3 again. can't go wrong with it.

also, let me know if you need any HDMI cables. i can get them wholesale.

I appreciate the offer.

On that note, since I am new to this HDMI stuff. Am I going to need HDMI cables for ALL of my components (XBOX 360, DVR, Blu Ray, etc)?

mariogolbee
10-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a Wii, if I didn't I would have bought yours. :D
It was a shameless plug.:sh I should have posted a link too.;)

Seriously though, congrats. I'm still at least lucky enough to be floating in the rear projection 1080i/720p realm. Some day I'll get up to speed. Until then, I'll be at your house playing Wii!:noon

mariogolbee
10-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I appreciate the offer.

On that note, since I am new to this HDMI stuff. Am I going to need HDMI cables for ALL of my components (XBOX 360, DVR, Blu Ray, etc)?
Only if you want to be like,"WOW!" And only if you have HDMI inputs for all of your components.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 10:26 AM
It was a shameless plug.:sh I should have posted a link too.;)

Seriously though, congrats. I'm still at least lucky enough to be floating in the rear projection 1080i/720p realm. Some day I'll get up to speed. Until then, I'll be at your house playing Wii!:noon

You're welcome to come over and play Wii at my house on any day that doesn't end in y. :D

Jbailey
10-11-2010, 10:32 AM
There are calibration DVD's you can buy that help adjust your TV's picture. I have a few I've used on my CRT tubes and on plasmas. I still have them if you would be interested Darrell I can send one out.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/Video-calibration.ep

mariogolbee
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
You're welcome to come over and play Wii at my house on any day that doesn't end in y. :D
How about Huy play your Huy together on Sundae!;)

stewshi
10-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I appreciate the offer.

You DVR, Xbox 360, PS3, Blu Ray will need the HDMI cable in order to get the best picture out of the unit. It is also the easiest since its just one cable for both the picture and the sound.

Do How many ports do you have?

For my house I have a Xbox 360 and PS3 and the cable box installed so I just need 3 HDMI ports on the TV. The fourth is usually just used if I need to hook up the camcorder or anything else to be viewed on the TV including a laptop if you have a port on that also.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 11:00 AM
How about Huy play your Huy together on Sundae!;)

:r

On a serious note though. You should bring your daughter over to play with Abby sometime. I think they are around the same age?

Darrell
10-11-2010, 11:01 AM
You DVR, Xbox 360, PS3, Blu Ray will need the HDMI cable in order to get the best picture out of the unit. It is also the easiest since its just one cable for both the picture and the sound.

Do How many ports do you have?

For my house I have a Xbox 360 and PS3 and the cable box installed so I just need 3 HDMI ports on the TV. The fourth is usually just used if I need to hook up the camcorder or anything else to be viewed on the TV including a laptop if you have a port on that also.

It has three HDMI inputs. So that will cover Blu Ray, XBOX, and Cable. :D

mariogolbee
10-11-2010, 11:07 AM
:r

On a serious note though. You should bring your daughter over to play with Abby sometime. I think they are around the same age?
My daughter is 8 and due to be 9 in December. She finds playmates between 2 and 13 usually. That's a pretty darned good idea. More on this later...

T.G
10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I appreciate the offer.

Only if you want to be like,"WOW!" And only if you have HDMI inputs for all of your components.

Outputs Mario. Outputs. You can get HDMI switchers if you run out of inputs.
(there are also external HD upconverters, but that's probably unnecessary for a system at this level)

Some stuff is debatable, like the Wii. IIRC, it's only a 480p output, so the difference is minor.

Unless you have an HD-DVR, your current DVR might not have the connector.

Remember, component video (YPbPr) can go up to 1080i, whereas HDMI goes up to 1080p currently. Depending on the source resolution, there might be no difference and no reason to upgrade. HDMI does carry a digital audio signal that component video would require to be carried on a separate cable(s), and for digital audio, you would need TOSlink or digital coax.

A lot of what you do with cabling also depends on if you have a surround sound system and how it is designed, configured and installed and can get quite convoluted in a hurry depending on number of components and their connections.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 11:17 AM
I am getting a new surround sound this weekend. I just want to hear it in person before I buy it. I already saw the TV in person, but the price was better online and Sears doesn't match the online price of THEIR OWN WEBSITE! :td

I have an HD DVR, I know it has HDMI. Honestly the Wii never occurred to me to hook up via HDMI, the graphics are pretty lame on it, I doubt HDMI will improve it at all.

T.G
10-11-2010, 11:24 AM
I am getting a new surround sound this weekend. I just want to hear it in person before I buy it. I already saw the TV in person, but the price was better online and Sears doesn't match the online price of THEIR OWN WEBSITE! :td

I have an HD DVR, I know it has HDMI. Honestly the Wii never occurred to me to hook up via HDMI, the graphics are pretty lame on it, I doubt HDMI will improve it at all.

In order for the surround sound system to get the digital audio signal from your HD components, it will most likely include an HDMI input switcher as part of the processor that you will have to connect through. You'll run all your device HDMI outputs into the switcher/processor, and then, from there, a single HDMI output to the display device.

The Wii graphics improvement over HDMI is likely negligible on smaller screens like yours.

Darrell
10-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Can anyone recommend a nice Blu Ray player (that is NOT a PS3) that up converts standard DVD's and also has Netflix?

AD720
10-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Can anyone recommend a nice Blu Ray player (that is NOT a PS3) that up converts standard DVD's and also has Netflix?

I have both an Insignia (best buy house brand, rumored to be manufactured by Samsung) and a Samsung. Both have netflix built in. The Samsung does Netflix, Pandora, Youtube and Blockbuster. The Insignia only does Netflix but it has a USB port and can play movies off of that. The build quality seems a little better on the Insignia, to be honest. Neither have WIFI and I wish that one did.

I would say go with whatever is on sale. If you aren't making the jump to 3d they are all pretty similar. Make sure it is Blu-ray profile 2.0 though.

Dave128
10-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I bought the 40" version of your Pan. tv about 6-8 months ago. I have it hooked to my Bose and a cable box. I love it. Great picture and great sound.

Skywalker
10-14-2010, 03:02 PM

We bought a Panasonic with wifi capability!!!

It's been great with Netflix!!!:tu:tu

We got a Panasonic because it's the same brand as our Plasma TV. I hate using two remotes!

All the guys on the Geek Squad love the Panasonic!!!

rizzle
10-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, the first thing you need to do is turn it on. Hope that helps.

You're welcome.-(P

AD720
10-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Well, the first thing you need to do is turn it on. Hope that helps.

You're welcome.-(P

Come on Ritchie! After all I've taught you? :mad:

You have to plug it in first. :D

Starscream
10-14-2010, 06:59 PM
A PS3 is tempting, but the only game I want for it is MLB The Show and I have that for PSP.

I've been hooked on The Show 08 on PSP for three years now! It's about the only game I play on PSP.

Have fun with the tv!:tu

skullnrose
10-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't want to throw a kink in your choice of TV's but Panasonic makes a 50 inch G25 plasma thats better than the S2 has vieracast which means it has built in netflix, pandora ect... http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50G25-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B003924UCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287105044&sr=8-1 of course you will still need a bluray player. If you are dead set on the S2 i'd suggest the Sony S570 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S570-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B0036WS4D4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287105823&sr=8-1which has built in wifi. If you go with the G25 TV you can buy a cheaper bly ray player like the Sony S370 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S370-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B0036WS4CA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287105947&sr=8-1 which is a great player without wifi. If I can help you feel free to PM me. Also head over to the AVS forum you can find a thread on the S2 and G25 and it will tell you everything about the TV's http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1231956 and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232049

skullnrose
10-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Also sony just released info on a blu ray player with google tv Sony Internet TV Blu-ray Disc player (NSZ-GT1), also available for pre-order on Sony's Web site. Google tv looks pretty interesting also logitech makes the logitech revue which adds google tv if you don't want it built into the bluray player

rizzle
10-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Come on Ritchie! After all I've taught you? :mad:

You have to plug it in first. :D

I've let you down, haven't I?
:noon