PDA

View Full Version : Tat Boris

RightAJ
10-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Last year Pete Johnson released a slightly different version of the famed Frank from Halloween of 2008, with a different wrapper, called the Boris (after the actor who played Frankenstein in the movie). Since Halloween is coming up this year, I figured I'd finally get around to smoking this LE!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5065454580_99f8057934_z.jpg

Pre-Light - No noticeable smells, but the wrapper is a beautiful coffee colored brown with minimal veins and a leathery touch.

First Third - Right away I can taste the slight minty note that I've heard so much about in this stick, combined with a mild-medium bodied earthy tobacco flavor. The smoke is abnormally cool, similar to a dry wine. The draw, ash, and burn are fantastic thus far, and the smoke itself is thick and white. A slight nutty spice character adds to the complexity of what seems to be a great cigar, though with a body lighter than I had expected.

Second Third - The body has beefed up a bit though the complex mix of flavors continues to be a mix of tobacco, mint, nut and some earthyness. I am in awe of the perfection achieved in construction by Pete on this stick, its is a joy not to have to baby the stick or worry about a tight draw.

Third Third - Moving into the last third, a cool spice takes the lead with some creamy nut and earthy flavors right behind. The texture of the smoke is continuing to intrigue me, and D/A/B are, big surprise, still great. I'm not noticing any heat near the nub, as the cool flavors and smoke seem to be consistent throughout. Definitely worth nubbing.

Conclusion and Score - This cigar was really 'different' for me (as I would expect from an LE), and it fits into a niche that I could see myself yearning for on occasion in the future. The smoke itself was cool, minty and dry, while the flavors included a complex mix of earth, mint, raw tobacco, nut, and spice. Construction was superb, and I really did enjoy this cigar, though it could have used a bit more in the body department. Even still, I would rate this stick a 91 and look forward to seeing it progress over time.

aj

PS More pics on my blog.
PPS Does anyone know of any other sticks that have a similar 'cool and dry' texture to the smoke? I thought it was pretty cool..

kelmac07
10-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Damn fine review AJ!! :tu

hscmit
10-09-2010, 12:02 PM
nice review.

I know it sounds a little out there, but I got some dry minty flavors from the naturals pimp stick.

kelmac07
10-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I know it sounds a little out there, but I got some dry minty flavors from the naturals pimp stick.

I had to laugh out loud on that one!! :r :r :r Gotta love Drew Estates names for sticks!!

James... ;s

hscmit
10-09-2010, 12:46 PM
no worries, I didnt name it

boom
10-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Cant wait to light up the one gifted to me by Shvictor.....

SkinsFanLarry
10-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Spot-on review AJ thanks for sharing!

Regrettably this is one that I missed out on but still have hopes of coming across a couple in the future.

BeerAdvocate
10-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Nice review. These are waaaay better than the Dracs

longknocker
10-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Great Review!:tu

MiamiE
10-09-2010, 03:30 PM
My favorite Tatuaje!

Starscream
10-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Any cigar named after Karloff has to live up to high expectations. I prefer Lugosi when it comes to horror, but Karloff is much more well-rounded and a better actor period.

If you don't know who Karloff is, he's the original Universal Pictures Frankenstein and the narrator for "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" cartoon version.

EDIT: I'm sure most of you know who he is. It just seemed that he hasn't been properly represented in this thread.

elderboy02
10-09-2010, 07:13 PM
These cigars are great! :)

CasaDooley
10-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Nice review AJ!:tu

Louistogies
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm gonna lite this cigar up on Halloween. Thanks for the review.

Bill86
10-10-2010, 01:13 AM
I've yet to light mine up, if it's anything like the frank than :tu. The drac was very meh....

EricF
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I have some Drac's and some Boris's and still don't know which to light up for Halloween!

I'm confused!

SmokeyJoe
10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Boris Karloff as...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/Revtiger/boris-karloff.jpg

"The Monster"

Great review, AJ.

:ss