PDA

View Full Version : Tower Cigars......Damn that Pete Johnson!! :)

bigdix
10-08-2010, 08:05 PM
So I e-mail tower about being put on the list to buy a box of "The Face" and receive an e-mail back that says:
"You are on the list to purchase a box."
I send an e-mail a day or two ago asking when/how I can pay for these and is it cool to ship to an APO/FPO address since I'm military. The reply I get is this:
"Sorry, but we don't have enough."
Really, you can't count? Pretty sure I won't be ordering anything from these folks ever again. :td There, I feel better.

acarr
10-08-2010, 08:13 PM
So I e-mail tower about being put on the list to buy a box of "The Face" and receive an e-mail back that says:
"You are on the list to purchase a box."
I send an e-mail a day or two ago asking when/how I can pay for these and is it cool to ship to an APO/FPO address since I'm military. The reply I get is this:
"Sorry, but we don't have enough."
Really, you can't count? Pretty sure I won't be ordering anything from these folks ever again. :td There, I feel better.

I would interpret being put on a list as just that. It doesn't necessarily mean you are on the top of the list to get one.

sikk50
10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Mmmm, yes the same story that happened last year. Let me try to clearify incase Mark doesn't see this. With the limited series venders don't know how many of the cigars (be they drac, boris or otherwise) they will get in. As any business person would do they take as many names as they can to try and help some brothers out while maximizing profits. Shipment comes, as I know Mark's has, and he doesn't have enough to cover all the names on the lists.

Same deal happened last year thats why most people attempting to get A box were on several lists. Just because you made a list doesn't mean you are guarantied a box. I feel for you, i do, but you shouldn't tarnish a well trusted name in the business due to a lack of understanding.

I see you're newish here, do some searches for the happenings of the Drac release from last year and you'll see your same story over and over....

Just my $.02

mariogolbee
10-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. Tower has done me right on a good number of occasions. Have you tried calling Mark over there or did you just kind of give up? You don't seem like the kind of guy who would do that but you didn't mention anything about perusing this further.

Darrell
10-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Nice hit.

Ahbroody
10-08-2010, 08:32 PM
In my best alan iverson voice.
"we talking bout cigars right?"

weak_link
10-08-2010, 08:41 PM
So let me get the straight... Pete Johnson released a very limited edition cigar and demand exceeds the supply? No way.

Matt-N-Ga
10-08-2010, 08:53 PM
So let me get the straight... Pete Johnson released a very limited edition cigar and demand exceeds the supply? No way.

:r

BC-Axeman
10-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Nice review!

montecristo#2
10-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Sorry man that sucks. I was on several lists and have not heard back from most of them as of yet.

Mark at Tower is a top notch Botl - unfortunately he probably had to send that email to several people as have most of the unlucky 13.

NorcalMark
10-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I sent Daniel bigdix a very nice email saying we had none left. I apologized for not
being able to supply him with a box.

Daniel sent me an email back stating we would never by from me again and
said he would let everyone he knows not to buy from me. I never knew how many
boxes we would be getting.

Here is the email sent to Daniel after he became angry with me
Daniel,

we started compiling a list for the Tatuaje Face starting in early July. This was before we were even selected as retailer for the Face cigar. we had ZERO idea how many boxes we were going to get. We don't take phone orders for items like this. That is why we compile a list by email. *by the time your email had come in, we had 40+ names on the list and growing daily. *going off of what took place with the frank cigar in 2008, I was hoping I would get 50 boxes, but due to the number of retailers Tatuaje has and how tatuaje spread them out we got no where near the number of boxes we expected. I think the last count on face emails was somewhere near 75 emails. there were many people I had to disappoint with the email like I sent you. *I tried to make it as fair as possible for everyone, that is why I ask everyone to send an email.

We run a class act cigar shop here, that is why we were chosen to represent Tatuaje and The Face cigar.

I am sorry you feel the way you do. I hope you have a wonderful and safe weekend.

Mark Just
President
Tower Pipes & Cigars, Inc.

groogs
10-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I am sorry to hear that you missed out on the Face, but I don't think it's Mark's fault that so many other people beat you to the punch. There is only so many to go around, I hope you have better luck next year.:tu

yourchoice
10-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Classy reply, Mark. :tu

maverickdrinker
10-08-2010, 10:37 PM
great response Mark

Ranger_B
10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Such is the monster series. Never enough for everyone. You do what you can.

doctorcue
10-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey Dan,

Mark is a stand up guy and he gave a valid response to a limited availability release. Unfortunately you weren't able to get a box; that's life man. Don't put a guy or business on blast with out knowing who they are or ignoring how they are treating you (in this instance very fairly). I can attest to Tower treating their customers great.

Stinky
10-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Mark is good people. I've known him for about 10 years. He's a straight shooter kind of guy and runs a clean operation. I was in Sacramento last month and made a special effort to go see Mark and his little cigar shop. Maybe he didn't make it clear that being on the list was just that. Probably shouldn't rip him. Do you still think you got skunked? IMHO: suggest you write back and ask to be put on the next list.

smelvis
10-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah I tend to agree the Merchant seemed to do his best in a bad situation, I thought the 13th was the big date? I might point out I have had reason to post bad info on a online retailer and I did everything possible first,

Different scenario but a lot of people read these sites we should be more careful when disparaging sites, times are tough and not really fair to possibly hurt a guy who did his best.

Not that you said much past you would not buy again still, just my thoughts.

Oh well congrats to those that got one, I did try a little but don't expect anything to come of it. I expect some day I will get to smoke one.

NorcalMark
10-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I have one more thing....

I bought a box of franks at full retail and I'm a retailer.

I had ten and ten on the Boris and drac. sold them all. I didn't
even keep a box for myself. I have only ever smoked one.

I didn't even keep a box of Face for me. I sold them all.

Tatuaje black jars....I don't own one. sold all I had.

That's the kinda ship I run. I do this so you guys have good stuff
to smoke. I rarely save stuff for me.

Night guys.

sikk50
10-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Mark I know you're a stand up guy, I gotta make a trip down there it's been too long.

Skywalker
10-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Mark and Tower have my vote!!!:tu

Ahbroody
10-09-2010, 12:40 AM
This thread can be summed up by this.
http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public/169379/df85j.gif

Skywalker
10-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Yes. Yes it can!!!:tu

mariogolbee
10-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Night Mark. (Or is this Huy?) Either way, thank you for not only providing top notch service, but for being an all around good guy and stand up BOTL.

I have to get up to Tower some day. I've only met Mark in person once. It was at a herf. Before we even shook hands Huy passed me a Viaje Platino Lancero that Mark had brought an entire box of to pass out. That just seems to be his style, a giving BOTL.

sikk50
10-09-2010, 12:57 AM

:r

Skywalker
10-09-2010, 01:01 AM
bigdix = http://www.honeymag.com/wp-content/gallery/newsdecemberweek3/arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

:sh

Just sayin!!!

sikk50
10-09-2010, 01:09 AM
bigdix = http://www.honeymag.com/wp-content/gallery/newsdecemberweek3/arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

:sh

Just sayin!!!

OMG!! It all Makes sense now!!! :noon

Bill86
10-09-2010, 01:14 AM
It seems to me the bad organization of the whole thing is not any retailers fault it sounds like tatuaje's fault. They really need to use their own website for limiteds that way no one else is to blame. Also stop releasing so little....it just pisses everyone off. I mean I get why they do it, BIG $$$$ right when they want it. Many places do this but you know who hates them for it, the customer. I've got my name on this list and I'm sure I'll be disappointed......But then and again there's always other cigar brands that'll get my $$$ instead.

bigdix
10-09-2010, 01:54 AM
So let's re-cap.
1. We have an angry guy first thing in the morning receiving a less than stellar e-mail.
2. Same angry guy vents a bit on a forum.
3. "You're on the list" is pretty vague. My mistake.
4. The reply e-mail I received from Tower is more than satisfactory, and I'm over it.

That's about it, right?

For Mark...thanks for your timely reply, and I apologize for my very hasty "f*ck you" e-mail. In the future, though...perhaps include a little "on the list" doesn't mean "on the list to BUY". :2

Apologies all.

bigdix
10-09-2010, 02:01 AM
And for the record, I do feel like a sh*thead.....I sincerely apologize!

smelvis
10-09-2010, 02:25 AM

Dan
It's over and I could tell you some stories I did that would make this seem like nothing.

Now to important stuff! Thank You for Your Service bro and don't give it another thought.

Stay Safe out there!

Dave

JHinc
10-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Takes a man to admit when he was wrong and do it publicly!
Good to see that.

As for Mark, even i know he is a good man and im from the Netherlands. I just have to nudge him every now and then to get my stuff cause the man is busy.

*nudges for his smokes.

Homebrewer
10-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Mark runs a great shop. I live in Sac and have been shopping there for years and I can tell you he is a 100% stand-up/nice guy. I tell you all to support Tower Cigars and buy from there website!

mcmoyer
10-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Good on ya Dan. :tu Thanks for your service!

Keep up the great work Mark!!

s15driftking
10-09-2010, 06:22 AM
I would interpret being put on a list as just that. It doesn't necessarily mean you are on the top of the list to get one.

I agree. Maybe your perception was that you were on the list and that being on the list promised that you would get a box. if they put 100 people on "the list" but only get 20 boxes then 80 people will not get them... but if two back out then numbers 21 and 22 now get a box... That's what I would assume they were doing.

neoflex
10-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I know I am beating a dead horse at this point but I have dealt with Mark at Tower and service has always been top notch. I called him when the list came out and he asked me to send an e-mail but when speaking to him on the phone he made me well aware that he may not get enough to help me out because his list was already long. I knew it was a long shot but not by any means would I ever tell him I won't buy from him again because of it. He's a great retailer and I would only be hurting myself by holding him accountable for not having received a 100 boxes of the Face.

bigdix
10-09-2010, 08:16 AM
I know I am beating a dead horse at this point but I have dealt with Mark at Tower and service has always been top notch. I called him when the list came out and he asked me to send an e-mail but when speaking to him on the phone he made me well aware that he may not get enough to help me out because his list was already long. I knew it was a long shot but not by any means would I ever tell him I won't buy from him again because of it. He's a great retailer and I would only be hurting myself by holding him accountable for not having received a 100 boxes of the Face.

In no way are you beating a dead horse here, brother. It just helps to get the point across. I was having a shitty morning and decided to take it out on an unsuspecting fellow. Apparently my dickish-ness knows no bounds. It's given me a little perspective and we all need a little humbling from time to time. Thanks to all of you for your backing up Mark over at Tower, and for pointing out my fault. :tu Another reason this place is great....when you f*ck up....you get set straight.

dwoodward
10-09-2010, 08:27 AM
I suppose its all how you interpret it. It isn't the retailers fault at all, but I would interpret being on the list the same way that Dan did.

This looks like its over now tho lol.

neoflex
10-09-2010, 08:31 AM
In no way are you beating a dead horse here, brother. It just helps to get the point across. I was having a shitty morning and decided to take it out on an unsuspecting fellow. Apparently my dickish-ness knows no bounds. It's given me a little perspective and we all need a little humbling from time to time. Thanks to all of you for your backing up Mark over at Tower, and for pointing out my fault. :tu Another reason this place is great....when you f*ck up....you get set straight.

Don't worry I suffer from that same problem at times where I am in a shiz mood and a totally unsuspecting and innocent party takes the brunt of my A-holeness. I also missed your post where you realized you screwed up.

ckay
10-09-2010, 08:45 AM
It seems to me the bad organization of the whole thing is not any retailers fault it sounds like tatuaje's fault. They really need to use their own website for limiteds that way no one else is to blame. Also stop releasing so little....it just pisses everyone off. I mean I get why they do it, BIG $$$$ right when they want it. Many places do this but you know who hates them for it, the customer. I've got my name on this list and I'm sure I'll be disappointed......But then and again there's always other cigar brands that'll get my $$$ instead.

We've always been a world of haves and have nots. Nobody is to fault here. It is the name of the game with any collectibles world. And yes, I am calling the Monster releases collectibles.

OLS
10-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I am OLS, and I am an A$$aholic. I also log on in a bad mood and let it fly from time to time.
This might be a mighty thread jack, but it's therapy, lol.

NorcalMark
10-09-2010, 08:56 AM

All is well Daniel! no hard feeling or ill will what so ever. These special
release cigars are a blessing and a nightmare at the same time. Its a no brainer to sell, but never enough to get everyone satisfied.

Fuente Anejos the same way. I get three boxes....do you make five people happy on a box of 25, each getting five or one person happy with a box.

PM me your APO, I'll put you a nice sampler together for you on me.
I ship all over the world!!

Thank You for your service in making us able to be on a forum like CA and share a passion for the finer things.

Emjaysmash
10-09-2010, 08:56 AM
This may be off the point but semi-related BUT:

Where's Tower Cigars located?

Don Fernando
10-09-2010, 08:58 AM
I will get a 5er of The Face, Dan, pm me your addy and I will send you one (will be after my vacation though, so be patient)

NorcalMark
10-09-2010, 09:03 AM

We are in Sacramento, Ca.

neoflex
10-09-2010, 09:05 AM

Sacramento, CA

klipsch
10-09-2010, 09:06 AM
We are in Sacramento, Ca.

I live in RI and buy all my cigars from Sacramento, Ca :tu

mariogolbee
10-09-2010, 09:06 AM
For Mark...thanks for your timely reply, and I apologize for my very hasty "f*ck you" e-mail. In the future, though...perhaps include a little "on the list" doesn't mean "on the list to BUY". :2

Apologies all.

:tu Well spoken Dan. We all make mistakes but not all of us learn from them or admit them. Good show Dan, good show.

mariogolbee
10-09-2010, 09:08 AM
All is well Daniel! no hard feeling or ill will what so ever.

Thank You for your service in making us able to be on a forum like CA and share a passion for the finer things.
This just goes to show how Mark gets down.

After all has been said and done I woke up and this thread has placed a smile on my face.

Brooks W
10-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Mark runs one of the best stores in the country, both customer service wise, shipping wise and price wise, and you were WAY Off for even posting this thread, basically slandering Mark's business because you did not get what you wanted.

"On the list" NEVER means "Guaranteed to be able to buy" esp with any of Pete's or Andre's stuff.

I am glad everything worked out, but people just need to take a step back and THINK before posting something like this.

~brooks

14holestogie
10-09-2010, 09:17 AM
This just goes to show how Mark gets down.

After all has been said and done I woke up and this thread has placed a smile on my face.

Nicely done all around, brothers. :tu

Skywalker
10-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Nice to see this thread worked itself out!:tu

It takes a big man to admit he's wrong and a bigger man to take it on the chin!!!:tu

And the mods didn't have to get involved!!!:tu

BTW - I think the mods are sleeping-in this morning!

weak_link
10-09-2010, 09:30 AM
This one time, the BABOTL's were getting together and Mark couldn't make it. Instead he sent a box of Illusion smokes. What a jerk!!! :r

Glad it all worked out. :)

kelmac07
10-09-2010, 09:57 AM
All is well Daniel! no hard feeling or ill will what so ever. These special
release cigars are a blessing and a nightmare at the same time. Its a no brainer to sell, but never enough to get everyone satisfied.

Fuente Anejos the same way. I get three boxes....do you make five people happy on a box of 25, each getting five or one person happy with a box.

+1 for Mark...all I can say is WOW!! :tu :tu

jovenhut
10-09-2010, 09:59 AM
I have one more thing....

I bought a box of franks at full retail and I'm a retailer.

I had ten and ten on the Boris and drac. sold them all. I didn't
even keep a box for myself. I have only ever smoked one.

I didn't even keep a box of Face for me. I sold them all.

Tatuaje black jars....I don't own one. sold all I had.

That's the kinda ship I run. I do this so you guys have good stuff
to smoke. I rarely save stuff for me.

Night guys.

This is why I will always buy from Mark! :banger

jovenhut
10-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Way to step it up! True BOTL :banger

SterlingCigarMan
10-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Mark, I wish we had more retailers like you.

Isy was supposed something like 10 boxes of Drac and 10 Boris last year. He reserved boxes for those who were quick and Tatuaje sent him 1 box of each. Their reply was screw the customers, keep them for yourself. Not the way I like to do business. Isy had to disappoint several friends and customers. To be honest, they were not that good anyway.

Dan, PM me your addy and I will send you a few good cigars.

whodeeni
10-09-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm late to this Parade because i wasn't on yesterday but Mark just is a very good and sincere man. And he's a straight shooter. You don't find many men like this in general, let alone the cigar business. Annnnd, he's as crazy about the hobby as we are! I think you should recant your position Dan, because you don't know him, but Mark is a "First Come, First serve" kinda guy... (At least that's my personal experience with him).... Just my :2

Ewingrules
10-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I live in RI and buy all my cigars from Sacramento, Ca :tu

I live in MA and I also buy 90% of my cigars from Tower Pipe and Cigar. The other 10% mostly goes to my local B + M. I have done a ton of business with Mark and found him to be a standup guy. I have had the pleasure to talk to him on a few occasions and he is a top notch BOTL. Service is top notch and communication is never a problem.

mariogolbee
10-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm late to this Parade because i wasn't on yesterday but Mark just is a very good and sincere man. And he's a straight shooter. You don't find many men like this in general, let alone the cigar business. Annnnd, he's as crazy about the hobby as we are! I think you should recant your position Dan, because you don't know him, but Mark is a "First Come, First serve" kinda guy... (At least that's my personal experience with him).... Just my :2

Excel, he already has done this.

hscmit
10-09-2010, 12:37 PM
just finished reading the whole thread and it is nice to see everything work out. Mark never purchased from you but after reading this thread I will contact you next time I am looking for something HTF

Powers
10-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Hadn't heard of Tower Cigars before this thread but after following it they are bookmarked for future purchases :tu

Starscream
10-09-2010, 01:18 PM
[B]Nice to see this thread worked itself out!:tu

:tpd: This one went much better than the thread last week.:tu

jitzy
10-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Just to add one more thing, not that Mark needs it now but I have to add if you live on the east coast and ordered and recieved in couple of days. I can't say anything but great things about him.

pektel
10-09-2010, 01:24 PM
What a jackass that Mark is.... :p

I actually still need to place an order with him. I tried to do a little sampler with him a month or so age, but we dropped the ball. Maybe I should jump that to the top of the list!

whodeeni
10-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Just to add one more thing, not that Mark needs it now but I have to add if you live on the east coast and ordered and recieved in couple of days. I can't say anything but great things about him.

Oh Shut up Jitzy!:r

neoflex
10-09-2010, 02:37 PM

+1 I have gotten orders in 2 days from CA to NC.

Starscream
10-09-2010, 03:26 PM

Never oredered from him, but I will definitely keep this in mind. :tu

JHinc
10-10-2010, 04:31 AM
Hehehe it actually funny to see how a thread that started as bad advertising has led to nothing more then postive advertising and even a few "about to order" !

bigdix
10-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Damn I love this place. Mark and Tower will be receiving MUCHO business from me. A big thanks to all of you for not impulsively writing me off like I shamelessly did Mark. :tu

smelvis
10-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Hehehe it actually funny to see how a thread that started as bad advertising has led to nothing more then postive advertising and even a few "about to order" !

That's funny I bookmarked the site and am shopping as we speak. LOL

and Dan name one person who hasn't posted without coffee in the morning :tu

Be safe brother!

Ewingrules
10-10-2010, 08:27 AM

It is always 2 days from CA to MA for me and I have had alot of packages from him. He must have a insider with the P.O.:D

klipsch
10-10-2010, 09:53 AM
It is always 2 days from CA to MA for me and I have had alot of packages from him. He must have a insider with the P.O.:D

Wow! You live in MA? We gotta hook up dude! :)

alwayslit
10-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Mark is good peeps. Nice play!

Adriftpanda
10-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Wow! You live in MA? We gotta hook up dude! :)

Sicko, I don't think he rolls that way.

mariogolbee
10-10-2010, 01:56 PM
But you do...;)

Ahbroody
10-10-2010, 04:13 PM
But you do...;)

Hello pot this is the kettle. :D

klipsch
10-10-2010, 05:34 PM

But you do...;)

You both ain't right... :hy

Da Klugs
10-11-2010, 07:23 AM

Stand up brother! :tu (And drink up - headed for the coffee pot....)

Lets go out to LA and find Pete .... and beat the hell out of him for not making enough of these things. :)

Eleven
10-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Lets go out to LA and find Pete .... and beat the hell out of him for not making enough of these things. :)

Shouldn't be hard to find him, he posts on Facebook every time he takes a crap. :rolleyes:

warren G.
10-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Awesome thread

jmsremax
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
So I have heard of Tower before but being in MA I never thought to check them out since I typically go to a local B & M, but after reading this thread I will be checking out Mark's site.

Simply amazing Mark! :tu

Oh, stay safe out there Dan :salute:

Goldie
10-11-2010, 09:26 AM
So I have heard of Tower before but being in MA I never thought to check them out since I typically go to a local B & M, but after reading this thread I will be checking out Mark's site.

Simply amazing Mark! :tu

Oh, stay safe out there Dan :salute:

I'm right there with you Jon. I will definitely be buying from Mark in the future.

Darrell
10-11-2010, 09:27 AM

I like your style. ;)

bigdix
10-11-2010, 03:05 PM

I think we can take him. Maybe Mean Darrell should come too :D

whodeeni
10-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Excel, he already has done this.

i know mario... by the time i went to edit my post it was "too late"!:tu

mariogolbee
10-11-2010, 04:40 PM
i know mario... by the time i went to edit my post it was "too late"!:tu

It's never to late to change, Excel. However, willingness is a prerequisite of change. Are you willing?:tf

whodeeni
10-11-2010, 04:43 PM
It's never to late to change, Excel. However, willingness is a prerequisite of change. Are you willing?:tf

Tell that to the "Team of Eeeeleven" Bro!:r :tf