PDA

View Full Version : Seeking homebrew guidance...

potlimit
10-08-2010, 04:04 PM
A while ago I really started to consider the possibility of making my own brew. I've done what I would consider a decent amount of research, reading, online, etc... even visiting a the local Vegas Homebrew (where the owner, Steve, was really helpful).

So I think I'm ready at this point and I'm going to go get a starter kit of sorts (not exactly the fisher-price one, but maybe a few steps up). And what I was hoping for was some advice, some tips and tricks if you will. You know, 'make sure you don't forget to ___' or 'I find ___ helpful.'

I haven't learned much in life but I have learned that any endeavor is about 99% preparation... I realize I'm gonna make some mistakes, but I'd like to limit those through some solid prep work.

Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated fellas.

Thanks in advance,
Mase

BeerAdvocate
10-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I think this is the best starter kit for your money:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-w-two-5-gallon-glass-carboys.html

It comes with 2 glass carboys, which you want to use instead of the bucket.
Using a bucket increases the chance of infection an doesnt allow you to see whats going on with your beer. Starting out, you will have the urge to want to see what your beer is doing. The only other thing you need are some bottles and your recipe kit. Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be more than happy to help!

BlackDog
10-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I've been brewing for about 6 months now. I bought the smaller kit from MW, similar to the above, but with one carboy only. Within a month I bought a second carboy, so it may have been cheaper to buy the larger kit all at once.

BUT, I've learned since that many homebrewers don't put there beers in secondary at all, which negates the need for a carboy except for big beers which need longer to age. Many successful homebrewers leave their "normal" beers in the primary bucket for 2 weeks, transfer it to the bottling bucket and bottle it, avoiding secondary entirely.

The one "rule" I'd pass along, which you've probably already learned, is that successful brewing is almost entirely dependent upon good cleanliness and sanitation practices. Keep everything clean and you'll almost certainly brew good beer.

But having said that, brewing is pretty forgiving. I've made some sort of mistake on a number of batches (dropped a piece of the air lock into the wort, forgot to check the original gravity, pitched yeast too hot, etc.) and I've only had one bad batch, when I used bleach to sanitize my bottles and didn't rinse them well enough. Bleach flavored IPA isn't very tasty. ;)

The upside of brewing is that even as a beginner you can make some awesome beers. My last batch was a dunkelweissen which just came out great. It's really rewarding when someone drinks one of your beers, looks at you and says "You made this?" :tu

awsmith4
10-09-2010, 05:29 PM
But having said that, brewing is pretty forgiving. I've made some sort of mistake on a number of batches (dropped a piece of the air lock into the wort, forgot to check the original gravity, pitched yeast too hot, etc.) and I've only had one bad batch, when I used bleach to sanitize my bottles and didn't rinse them well enough. Bleach flavored IPA isn't very tasty. ;)

Clorox the Elder?

kugie
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Clorox the Elder?

Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize and when you are done with those sanitize again:2

BlackDog
10-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Clorox the Elder?

Yeah, pretty much. I was going for an IPA with a big hop bite, but I got an IPA with a big bleach bite. Yuck.

Use Star-San for your sanitizer.

BeerAdvocate
10-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Its nice to have 2 carboys right from the start so you can make 2 beers at a time

CasaDooley
10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Its nice to have 2 carboys right from the start so you can make 2 beers at a time

Whats better, glass or plastic carboys?

BeerAdvocate
10-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Whats better, glass or plastic carboys?

I have used both. Glass is easier to break, but easier to clean.
I have 2 plastic carboys and I just make sure that I clean them right after emptying them and just use oxyclean without a scrub brush, because if you scratch the plastic, you increase the chance of infection.
I dont use them that much, only for secondary if my glass ones are full.

BlackDog
10-10-2010, 12:18 PM
BA, I just re-read this thread. Do you primary in a glass carboy?

potlimit
10-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Good suggestions all... thanks to those that have given input. Think I'm going to go with the kit BA recommended.

And the general theme amongst you seems to be (as I've pretty much gleaned from my other research) SANITIZE.

Again, thanks for the input, and feel free to input further.

Mase

BlackDog
10-10-2010, 08:48 PM
As a new homebrewer, I bought these two books. Everyone in the hobby recommends the "How to Brew" book by John Palmer. But honestly, I've found "The Everything Homebrewing Book" by Drew Beechum book to be more useful. I don't have any plans to move up to all grain brewing, and the Palmer book is definitely more geared that direction. For an extract or partial mash brewer I find the Beechum book to provide more of what I want to know.

Palmer book (http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Everything-Right-First/dp/0937381888/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286764792&sr=1-1)

Beecham book (http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Homebrewing-Book-need-brew/dp/1605501220/ref=sr_1_16?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286764817&sr=1-16)

BeerAdvocate
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
BA, I just re-read this thread. Do you primary in a glass carboy?

Yes, I try to use glass carboys for everything. They only time I really use my plastic Better Bottle carboy is for when I make a batch of Apfelwien, or in a pinch I will use it for secondary when I am adding something else like oak, vanilla beans, or dryhopping.

BlackDog
10-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Ok I see. I primary in buckets, and secondary when necessary in a glass carboy.

kaisersozei
10-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the hobby! Another long-time homebrewer here, always nice to see another convert. :al

There's a "What's in your fermenter?" thread, I'd check that out for more information and tips on this board. Otherwise, the forums at HomebrewTalk (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/)are a tremendous source of information.

Outside of what's already been posted here, I've learned the following along the way:

Charlie Papazian's book (The Joy of Homebrewing) was my first book on the subject and is still my go-to when I have any questions.
There are tons of recipes on the internet. For starters, I would experiment within your favorite style. That way, you have some basis for comparison.
Write everything down.
Or don't write everything down.
Don't worry too much about your beer. If you follow clean technique, it's pretty hard to really screw up a recipe.
Measure your bottling sugar carefully! That's one area where a mistake is hard to correct--especially if you add too much! Bottle geysers!
Air & light are a beer's worst enemies. But still: if you follow clean technique, it's pretty hard to really screw up a recipe.

I could go on & on, but that's about all you really want to know :D

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Gerard

Killian
10-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Make sure you get an auto siphon. That is the one piece I could not live without. As far as glass vs plastic, it is really just personal preference. I use better bottles for everything and have never had a problem. I use them because I tend to move my carboys quite a bit and I feel safer with plastic.
Another suggestion is check out homebrewtalk.com. Just about everything I know about brewing has come from there. Great people over there and a ton of knowledge.
Good luck and happy brewing.
Let me know if you need a taste tester! I'm always willing to help out.

kaisersozei
10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes, I try to use glass carboys for everything. They only time I really use my plastic Better Bottle carboy is for when I make a batch of Apfelwien, or in a pinch I will use it for secondary when I am adding something else like oak, vanilla beans, or dryhopping.

This is me, too. Although, I've "rediscovered" my primary bucket for the past few batches. Mostly because I get tired of siphoning/sparging/funneling into that narrow mouth of the carboy.

landhoney
10-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Always use a blow-off tube.

You'd think after three years brewing I would have learned this, but I got lazy after brewing and then going to a party that night. Next morning....krausen on the ceiling. :c

St. Lou Stu
10-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Craigslist is your friend. Well, mine anyway. :)
Keep a constant lookout on there for 1/2 barrel kegs and glass carboys.
Paying retail for either is just silly, and you'll want some of both soon enough.

Also, start asking your friends to collect pry-off bottles.

Look into beersmith software. It is worth it.

Get a sharpie to write gravity readings on your glass carboys.

Don't exchange LP tanks. Go to someplace that fills yours.

I could go on and on..... but, hey, I'm new at this too.

BeerAdvocate
10-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Always use a blow-off tube.

You'd think after three years brewing I would have learned this, but I got lazy after brewing and then going to a party that night. Next morning....krausen on the ceiling. :c

When I ordered my starter kit, I upgraded my carboys to 6.5gallons and have never had to worry about a blow-off tube. One less step to remember :D

St. Lou Stu
10-12-2010, 09:21 AM
When I ordered my starter kit, I upgraded my carboys to 6.5gallons and have never had to worry about a blow-off tube. One less step to remember :D

You're not going to believe me..... but I had a 5 gallon batch of American Lager blow off on day three of active fermentation..... at 51° F.... In a 6.5 gallon carboy.

Who woulda thunk?

I thought it was a fluke, so I cleaned the airlock, re-filled, stuck it in and found it the next morning..... full of Krausen.

It spent the next 5 days with a tube.
It is now fermenting calmly at 51° after 16 days.

I may be digging this blow off on everything idea. It's just easier.

potlimit
10-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Wow, excellent advice guys, keep it coming.

Just got the Palmer "How To Brew" book in yesterday and finished about a third of it... great stuff.

potlimit
10-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Okay, so I've read "How to Brew," lived on homebrewtalk for the last two weeks (total hours reading threads > total hours spent sleeping), and got what I'm sure is everything I need and then some.

I really only have one question that's still kind of bothering me... Yeast pitching. How many of you use starters, and would you say this is the best way to go? I only ask because (as everything I've read describing it states) it's basically brewing a small beer, and I'm trying to keep down the number of variables that can cause me problems.

So, what say you on the starter?

kaisersozei
10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I usually use a starter, and always do if the OG > 1.050. The only time I haven't done this recently is when I used Nottingham dry yeast for a pale/blond ale--just sprinkled it over the top of the wort, and that stuff took off in about 8 hours!

But that's just me. If you are using White Labs or other liquid yeast, you can always just pitch it directly into the fermenter and wait. I know a lot of guys go this route and have great results, even if it takes a little while to get fermentation going.

St. Lou Stu
10-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I've never used a starter and my latest lager was my slowest start at 30 hours.
I usually use liquid yeast though. My Imperial stout took off in 6-8 hours at 1.09something with an activator pack and oxygenation.
I alway say I am a lucky SOB though.

BeerAdvocate
10-23-2010, 11:03 AM
I never use a starter for dry yeast or whitelabs, but I use a starter for the wyeast smack pouchs

potlimit
10-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks again guys, decided to just re-hydrate. Was gonna get started today but I didn't feel I prepped enough, so it's gonna be tomorrow morning (trying to be anal about checklists as to avoid any unnecessary screw ups).

Nefari0us
10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
תמיד לשטוף את התחתונים שלך, לנקות מאחורי האוזניים
Oh, wait... thats Hebrew guidance ;s

potlimit
10-23-2010, 12:16 PM
כל עצה תתקבל בברכה

;)

BluesGuy
10-23-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/

Great forum with great people always ready to help.

potlimit
12-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Well my first brew was a little, well... flat. And yes, lol, I realize it's not carbed yet, I just mean the taste fell flat. I know, I know, give it time, don't fret. I bottled and we'll see. Can't say I'm not a bit disappointed, but I'm undeterred and will brew again next week as I ordered the agave wit from Austin.

I have a tiny question, though. Is this what the trub on the bottom of my fermenter should look like?

kaisersozei
12-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Well my first brew was a little, well... flat. And yes, lol, I realize it's not carbed yet, I just mean the taste fell flat. I know, I know, give it time, don't fret. I bottled and we'll see. Can't say I'm not a bit disappointed, but I'm undeterred and will brew again next week as I ordered the agave wit from Austin.

I have a tiny question, though. Is this what the trub on the bottom of my fermenter should look like?

Yes, exactly. All that spent yeast, that's some good stuff right there!

If you had another beer ready to go, you could just dump the wort right on top of that and be off & running in no time.

I wouldn't worry about the taste right now, unless it was rancid! :D Unless I dry hop it can be deceiving, almost all of my beers taste pretty much the same straight out of the fermenter (I always drink the left over beer from the measuring cylinder.) What style/recipe did you go with?

potlimit
12-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Yes, exactly. All that spent yeast, that's some good stuff right there!

If you had another beer ready to go, you could just dump the wort right on top of that and be off & running in no time.

I wouldn't worry about the taste right now, unless it was rancid! :D Unless I dry hop it can be deceiving, almost all of my beers taste pretty much the same straight out of the fermenter (I always drink the left over beer from the measuring cylinder.) What style/recipe did you go with?

Just a regular nut brown ale. I wasn't really concerned with the style on the first one as I was more interested in getting a feel for the process. It was a basic extract kit, of which I'm going to do a couple more and then maybe try and progress to a partial.