PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm The New Guy

Nathan King
10-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Note: This is not a review. I am woefully ill-equipped to do so. This is simply my first cigar experience that I thought I would share to introduce myself.

I have long appreciated the complex and evolving flavors of good espresso, wine, and liquor, so I thought it would be good to give cigars a try. I had never smoked a single thing in my life, but I went to the local Tobacconist and purchased an Oliva Serie V Double Toro. I pulled a nice shot of espresso using some Nicaraguan beans (to hopefully match the Nicaraguan leaves) and my trusty Elektra. I sat relaxed on the patio to try out my smoke. I managed to get a good cut despite my $3 double guillotine and began rolling the foot of the cigar just out of reach of the wispy cedar flame. After a minute of lighting and gently blowing I had a nice even burn. The experience, which lasted a little over an hour, was out of this world. The cigar had a good draw and was quite oily and rich. I think I caught notes of nuts, spice, chocolate, (perhaps some nutmeg ??), and coffee with a woody finish. The smoke was full but the taste was complex and smooth. The cigar and espresso paired shockingly well and each heightened the experience of the other. The whole really was greater than the sum of its parts.

Wow! I'm hooked. :dr

Emjaysmash
10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Welcome to the Nut Hut! There is also a large coffee following here in th sub-forums!

thebiglebowski
10-08-2010, 03:18 PM
far out man - welcome aboard!

itzfrank
10-08-2010, 03:38 PM
welcome :D

68TriShield
10-08-2010, 03:44 PM
My hats off to you.The Oliva V is a pretty cheeky first cigar for someone that never smoked a thing in his life.And to enjoy it like you did too :tu

Did you snork it?

Welcome and enjoy the journey...

kelmac07
10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Welcome to the MADHOUSE!! Oliva V as your first...sweeeet!! :tu

Nathan King
10-08-2010, 04:03 PM
My hats off to you.The Oliva V is a pretty cheeky first cigar for someone that never smoked a thing in his life.And to enjoy it like you did too :tu

Did you snork it?

Welcome and enjoy the journey...

LOL! I had to look up "snork." Yes, as a matter of fact I did. It really heightens the flavors, which is not surprising since they say 70% of our perceived "taste" comes from our olfactory receptors in the nose. That's why us wine snobs "chew" the wine. It lifts the soft palate and allows the smell to enter our nasal passages, which allows us to appreciate the subtle nuance inherent in good wine.....and as I learned, cigars.

I appreciate the warm welcome. :D

CigarNut
10-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the Asylum! Pull up a chair and have a cigar :)

Commander Quan
10-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I see you'll get along just fine here.

NCRadioMan
10-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Welcome, and enjoy the ride!

DaBear
10-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Ballsy choice for a first cigar, but a damn good smoke. I actually just smoked one earlier today with some root beer, which brought out a lot of the chocolate and sweeter notes, I personally picked up rasins and some woody notes.

If you're looking for something with similar flavors and price tag try a Fuente Hemingway. That was my first and is still one of my top two cigars. Bonus points if you find the maduro Hemingway.

Ferrari5180
10-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the Asylum! Glad you enjoyed a good cigar for a first timer. Many try cheap cigars at first and do not become impressed, and thus quit the fine hobby. Oliva's make great cigars. Next time around, see if you could try the G's. They are cheaper and just as great.

MedicCook
10-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the Asylum.

nick2021
10-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Welcome aboard!

Louistogies
10-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the boards!

OHRD
10-11-2010, 02:52 PM
awesome awesome awesome! welcome!

whodeeni
10-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Welcome Nathan and way to accurately share your smoking experience
right off the bat.. Send me a Private Message w/ your Address. I have
something for you that i think you might enjoy!:tu

biggbob
10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
WELCOME!

Make sure you have plenty of room on your Visa before you really commit to this hobby :P

G G
10-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Welcome from Florida Nathan.

Nathan King
10-13-2010, 01:24 PM
...Next time around, see if you could try the G's. They are cheaper and just as great.

Thank you for the advice. Yesterday evening I found the "G" and "O" to be burnt finger worthy. :ss

The Xicar Plunge is great.

Nefari0us
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Welcome from NY! That was indeed a good choice of cigar as your first! Glad you enjoyed the experience!

hscmit
10-13-2010, 01:49 PM
welcome
great first post, glad you enjoyed the v