PDA

View Full Version : Question

mangwhop
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I gotta ask a real newbie question here. Sorry in advance if this sounds really dumb. lol

If Cuban cigars are illegal in the US then how come in your "Island (That one) Reviews" section i see cigars in there that are available in stores here?

jmsremax
10-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I've noticed this too and I believe it's simply because people post it in the wrong section....but what do I know. :2

mangwhop
10-07-2010, 09:27 PM
So those are not actual Cuban cigars?

I saw Hoyo in there and i just bought one at a wine nation store. They also had Cohibas at 20/stick.

I'm confused!!

kelmac07
10-07-2010, 09:29 PM
There are some brands out there that share the same name...Hoyo, Davidoff, Cohiba, & Partagas to name a few. Made in different countries. There are both CCs and NCs of these brands.

mangwhop
10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
So the Hoyo i bought is not Cuban but the Hoyo being reveiwed in that section is Cuban?

jmsremax
10-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Anything you buy in the states at a local B&M is non-cuban.

kelmac07
10-07-2010, 09:39 PM
So the Hoyo i bought is not Cuban but the Hoyo being reveiwed in that section is Cuban?

Quite possible...would not be able to tell unless I saw pictures. I would bet that the one you purchased in the Wine shop was an NC Hoyo.

jmsremax
10-07-2010, 09:41 PM
There are some brands out there that share the same name...Hoyo, Davidoff, Cohiba, & Partagas to name a few. Made in different countries. There are both CCs and NCs of these brands.

true, but that is where all cigar discussion comes into play...so i thought since the Island(the other ones) has a subtitle that says all things cuban.

kelmac07
10-07-2010, 09:42 PM
true, but that is where all cigar discussion comes into play...so i thought since the Island(the other ones) has a subtitle that says all things cuban.

Like you stated earlier...could have just been posted in the wrong folder as well.

bscottskangum
10-07-2010, 09:42 PM

:tpd: As I understand it, due to the embargo, the Cuban trademarks are not recognized in the U.S. and therefore cigars in the U.S. can be sold with these brand names. The trademark issue is a big kerfuffle but because of it there are actually 2 Cohiba's, Punch's, Partagas', etc.

I think the op's question is why he sees reviews for cuban brands but finds these brands at his b&m. Not why are there non cuban reviews in the cuban section. I could be misreading it though.

kelmac07
10-07-2010, 09:43 PM
:tpd: As I understand it, due to the embargo, the Cuban trademarks are not recognized in the U.S. and therefore cigars in the U.S. can be sold with these brand names. The trademark issue is a big kerfuffle but because of it there are actually 2 Cohiba's, Punch's, Partagas', etc.

There you go!! Thanks Barry.

jmsremax
10-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Noted!

mangwhop
10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I think the op's question is why he sees reviews for cuban brands but finds these brands at his b&m. Not why are there non cuban reviews in the cuban section. I could be misreading it though.

Yes thats what i mean. Or are the ones being reveiwed actual Cubans?

bscottskangum
10-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes thats what i mean. Or are the ones being reveiwed actual Cubans?

They are the actual Cubans, the ones your B&M sells are not

mangwhop
10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Sorry to beat this to death.. lol

kelmac07
10-07-2010, 09:54 PM

No worries Wayne...welcome to the MADHOUSE!!! :D

bscottskangum
10-07-2010, 09:56 PM

Everyone has questions, that's the beauty of the place, no need to apologize for wanting to be informed! Most of us still ask questions every day.

Welcome to the asylum!