PDA

View Full Version : What's In Your Humidor - Luis Falto of Falto Cigars

OHRD
10-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Each Thursday, we’ll be asking those closest to the industry what they keep in their humidor and what their smoking habits are…

Today we are joined by Luis Falto, brand owner of La Garita Cigar Company, make of Falto Cigars. You can visit Luis online, and we highly recommend getting to know his product – it is superb and the ultimate in boutique cigars. Many of his blends have one production, then they’re gone!

What’s in your humidor?
At the moment, in my personal humidor, I have a couple of Padrón Anniversary 1964, La Aurora Cien Años (in various sizes [specially Belicoso, Lancero and Churchill]), La Aurora Preferido Robusto, La Aurora Bristol Especiale and La Aurora 107. You might notice that I am very fond to La Aurora. I also have some Cubans, such as Cuaba Diadema and Bolivar Exclusivo Alemania (Germany Exclusive).

For my own brand preference, I usually have Falto Prominente Gran Reserva Especial, Falto Privilegio “Mi Viejo”Liga #8 & Liga #9, Falto Invicto and La Garita Cigar Co. (LGCC) “Delirio” Cabinet Selection. These are the cigars of my brand that I smoke at the moment. However, there is usually a rotation with all my cigars.

What kind of humidor (and size) do you use for your personal storage?
Even though I have an aging room in my Tobacco Studio, where I keep some cigars (specially some boxes of the first runs of all my cigars), I have two 120-cigar capacities Ellie Blues Medal Edition in my house for my personal storage. Although they were quite expensive, they are extremely reliable and have never failed me.

How many cigars are in your humidor right now?
Altogether, I have around two hundred (200). Mostly different styles of La Aurora and the Falto Cigars mentioned above.

Are you currently testing any new blends for your company? Any details?
Actually, yes. I am testing two different blends at the moment. I am experimenting with bigger ring gauges and different ways of blending. For example, one of these, the Falto Ingenio #10 is a Perfecto with dimensions of 6 x 60. The other one, the Falto Mentor is a Toro with dimensions of 5 3/4 x 54. As for construction and blending, I am experimenting with double binders (two leafs as binders).

How many cigars do you smoke in a typical day, when you are not blend testing?
It all depends on my mood and workload, but mostly I smoke four to five a day. Sometimes I smoke one or two and sometimes, almost never, I do not even smoke at all. I believe that smoking has to be a moment of relaxation. So, if the workload is a little heavy I just smoke a very simple cigar, but always at 4:30 pm I have a freshly brewed espresso and a more complex and full flavored cigar.

What are some of your all time favorite cigars?
This is a tough question (to tough to answer!)

dwoodward
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks for continuing to do these. I love reading them. I am surprised however that most of the people surveyed have small desktop humidors. Interesting.

gijoey959
10-07-2010, 05:14 PM
That's what I was noticing, they all mention having a few boxes in their aging or storage rooms and a desk top, or two in this instance

whodeeni
10-07-2010, 05:32 PM
That's what I was noticing, they all mention having a few boxes in their aging or storage rooms and a desk top, or two in this instance

I was sort of thinking the same thing... "What kind of Baller is Matt"... when I realized it was an interview!:r

Great thread Matt!:tu

hscmit
10-07-2010, 05:49 PM
but always at 4:30 pm I have a freshly brewed espresso and a more complex and full flavored cigar.

sounds like a good routine

whodeeni
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM

I was sort of thinking the same thing... "What kind of Baller is Matt?"... when I realized it was an interview!:r

Great post Matt!:tu

OHRD
10-08-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks for continuing to do these. I love reading them. I am surprised however that most of the people surveyed have small desktop humidors. Interesting.

It is funny, I guess they have their go-to smokes. I remember seeing a video interview w/ Jon Huber at CAO - he has tons and tons of smks at their Nashville headquarters, but yet he had a desktop; so did the owner Tom O____.

but always at 4:30 pm I have a freshly brewed espresso and a more complex and full flavored cigar.

sounds like a good routine

Luis has what he calls a cigar studio; it's basically his cigar storefront for customers. They come in, can sit down at the alcohol or coffee bar and smoke with him. He does all his work there. He sent me some of the coffee from the studio and it was amazing. He seems to have it figured out!

He's a sharp cat, graduated from Georgetown in DC, then returned home and started making cigars...