PDA

View Full Version : Most important "tip" you got when you started

GWags
11-08-2008, 09:31 PM
As a newbie I'm constantly picking up things to improve my smoking experience. In no particular order these come to mind:

toasting as apposed to lighting like a cigarette like I used to
slowwww down (this has helped me the most so far)
snorkling - I pick up so many more aspects to the stick
purge it if gets nasty

and tonight I learned it's best NOT to remove the band after I have an inch of ash hangin' - I'm a messy smoker!

Scottw
11-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Best tip I can offer is to make sure to savor not only the cigar, but how many great things and great people you can learn about through this great hobby.

petewho
11-08-2008, 09:38 PM
The best tips I've been given so far:

- Cut & test the draw. If it's tight, back in the humi and grab a different stick (or drybox it).
- Cooler, 65% beads, Palio, Blazer (in roughly that order)
- Don't get started on the cbid slope :bh
- Herf often
- Smoke what ya like, and like what ya smoke

SmokinCozy
11-08-2008, 09:40 PM
not to get stuck on any certain stick

montecristo#2
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I have been smoking for about two years now and learned something new just last week.

When you are reading a magazine while smoking outside, make sure you are holding both sides of the magazine. If not, a nice gust of wind can create a really messy situation. :( :r

kayaker
11-08-2008, 09:44 PM
My first big tip was to stop smoking the cigar when it no longer tasted any good. We're paying for the experience so why ruin it by continuing to smoke when it sucks?

My second big tip was on how to light a cigar properly. The biggest part of that being lighting without drawing on it the same time. This little tip worked well with the first tip because I immediately could enjoy a cigar for longer.

Great thread.:ss

NCRadioMan
Find the largest humidor you will think you will need, then go one size bigger!

acruce
Don't inhale.

jaycarla
11-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Keep your address to yourself and never state out loud while herfing what cigars you like.

Also, smoke at least two of a stick before you decide yah or nah.

There are many, many others but I don't want to rob you of all the fun and mistakes I made when I started.:r

GWags
11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
my wife wanted to add: BUDGET your purchases! Thanks patunia:ss

jaycarla
11-08-2008, 09:51 PM
wow, avatar alert!

Nice.

Gargoyle
11-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Paraphrasing some of the most meaningful tips I learned early on (or wish I learned earlier)

- Don't wait for a special occasion to open that special box or awesome stick. Just relaxing with a nice smoke can make the most mundane day special.

- Having a smoke is about friendship and letting the world stop for a short time to savor the moment. It is not about who can amass the largest collection of cigars or trying to impress others with the name on the band.

- Smoke what YOU like, not what others say you should like.

GWags
11-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Paraphrasing some of the most meaningful tips I learned early on (or wish I learned earlier)

- Don't wait for a special occasion to open that special box or awesome stick. Just relaxing with a nice smoke can make the most mundane day special.

- Having a smoke is about friendship and letting the world stop for a short time to savor the moment. It is not about who can amass the largest collection of cigars or trying to impress others with the name on the band.

- Smoke what YOU like, not what others say you should like.

Made me stop and think a bit ...... thanks for that!!

poker
11-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Dont rush anything. This includes resting the cigars, preparing the humidor, etc. Be patient.
Price is not everything. Customer service is more important.
Dont worry so much about what others have or smoke. Smoke what you like and can afford.
The cigar is only as good as the company you are with.
Dont get so hung up on humidity levels, 2-3% RH wont make much, if any difference.
Never cut the lit end off a cigar and save it for later. It will suck.
Quality is more important than quantity most times
If the price is too good to be true, it usually is a hint a red flag is waving

Cigary
11-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Some of the best advice has come from the forums that I read which includes using beads and also to ensure a better smoke to go thru the ritual of cutting and lighting it so that you don't burn the cigar before you get to enjoy it. Why hurry the process if it isnt going to taste the best you can make it taste?

Old Sailor
11-08-2008, 10:12 PM
PIF........pay it forward!!
At a herf just be yourself and enjoy!

groogs
11-08-2008, 10:26 PM
The best tip I ever got was smoke what you like, and number 2, don't try to impress anyone, becuase there is always someone with better smokes then you could ever hope to get.

zemekone
11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
when all else fails "Pay It Forward..."

dcamacho
11-08-2008, 10:29 PM
smoke slow and enjoy

Bruzee
11-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Don't buy or smoke cigars based on what the band looks like. I have found some dammn good smokes (and people) by not judging the book by the cover. :2

bobarian
11-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Whenever possible, Herf! A smoke among friends always tastes better.:tu:tu:tu

leasingthisspace
11-09-2008, 02:54 AM
Don't inhale.
Slow down.
Never say you hate something till you had it more then once.
Smoke with friends.
Smoke what you like, don't worry what others think of what you smoke as long as you like it.
Feel woozy eat candy.
Drink water or something else that doesn't fight with the falvor of the cigar.
Have fun with it.
Never ever spit in the ashtray. It is gross.

taltos
11-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Buy a large cooler.

sofaman
11-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Buy the biggest humi you can because you you can never have enough room!!!

Rockestone
11-09-2008, 06:28 AM
and tonight I learned it's best NOT to remove the band after I have an inch of ash hangin' - I'm a messy smoker!

Now that's funny.:r

Rockestone
11-09-2008, 06:29 AM
When your finished, let the stick burn out instead of trying to crush it out. Best lesson I learned.

tsolomon
11-09-2008, 07:05 AM
The best way to store cigars
The right way to cut and then light a cigar
How to smoke and enjoy a cigar

But the best tip was from Dave, aka Trishield, who encouraged me to attend a herf where I met other BOTLs and SOTLs. The cigar smoking community is just a great group of people to meet and share cigars and conversation with. :ss

TripleF
11-09-2008, 07:32 AM
One thing I'm kind of anal about........

Don't SMUSH a cigar out like a cigarette. Just lay it in the ashtray, it'l go out in short order and if you mash it out like a cigarette it makes an awful stink.

Next tip.....
Slow down. Take longer breaks between puffs. Makes for a longer, more enjoyable experince. :ss :ss

Skywalker
11-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Whenever possible, Herf! A smoke among friends always tastes better.:tu:tu:tu

This is very true!!!

All of the above mentioned plus don't stick the lit end in your mouth!!! Ouch!!!:r It happens!!!:o

Oh... and never play a game of darts while holding a cigar!!!

Nimbus
11-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Find the largest humidor you will think you will need, then go one size bigger!

I agree with this quote wholeheartedly. :tu

petewho
11-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Oh... and never play a game of darts while holding a cigar!!!

Did you throw a lancero into the board???

nozero
11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
For me, probably "never let the flame touch the cigar". It does not always help, I mean a DR is a DR, but it can help from ruining a good cigar.

Some excellent tips here! Thanks again CA!

spectrrr
11-09-2008, 11:21 PM
DONT use cbid without using C-H-I-M-P (http://www.c-h-i-m-p.com) first!

Bobb
11-09-2008, 11:54 PM
"When do you put out a cigar?"
"When you stop enjoying it."

There is no need to inhale cigar smoke because there are no taste buds in your lungs.

Cigars taste better when smoked with friends.

Give cigars you did not enjoy another try. Cigars are hand made products and every now and then you just get a bad one.

shemp
11-10-2008, 09:52 AM
This is very true!!!

[B]All of the above mentioned plus don't stick the lit end in your mouth!!! Ouch!!!:r It happens!!!:o[B]

I have actually done this as i was mowing the lawn, got distracted, picked up my smoke and ......OOOOUUUUUUCCCCCCCHHHHHH:fl:fl:fl:fl

apart from that...if you get uneven burn, put the unburned side on the bottom so the air can get to it, to even out the burn without having to "touch it up" with your lighter...it really works.

Redbaron
11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
A wise man once told me.."Smoke what you like today, tomorrow may never come."

My tip would be.. Smoke with your friends as much as possible, they keep you sane.

gnukfu
11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Smoke slower. I was like the Puff the Magic Dragon when I first started smoking....did I just say Puff? :cb

Lucky_Hippo
11-10-2008, 12:10 PM
-Let other's smoke how THEY like to smoke. So what if they light it with a zippo, inhale with every drag, and toss it half way through. If they enjoyed the experience, then that was the entire point wasn't it?

-Never turn your nose up at a gifted stick. It's not just a smoke someone is offering, but their friendship.

-Always take the time to share what you enjoy, but try not to force your enjoyment on others. Let them make up thier own minds what they like or don't like.

-Always remember that many here at one time or another liked Macanudo, even if they won't admit it now. Eveyone has to start somewhere right?

Enjoy each cigar as if it was your last. It just very well may be.

Hardcz
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Don't inhale.

:tpd::tpd:

ucla695
11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Buy the biggest humi you can afford, even if you think it’s too big and you’ll never fill it up.

Lower your humidity to 65% or below and you won’t have to worry about mold, draw or burn issues.

The trip is not about the destination, but about the journey.

Smoke what you like. Like what you smoke.

JE3146
11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Pif

;)

Tio Gato
11-10-2008, 03:41 PM
The best tip I ever got was "For God's sake, take it out of your mouth once in a while."
It's all about going slow and not letting the cigar over heat.

Texan in Mexico
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
1). Read, read and read some more!

2). Learn to identify the flavors in your spice rack and refrigerator - this helps develop your pallete and identify them in your cigar.

Vitis
11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Purge, Purge Purge. I can only imagine how many cigars I would have put out when they soured, instead of enjoying em down to the nub. Tar can be nasty.

~Vitis

doblemaduro
11-10-2008, 05:39 PM
When smoking at a cigar lounge, don't stub out your cigar. Just let it sit in the ash tray and go out on its own!

chippewastud79
11-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Smoke what you like. :ss

Buy more storage than you need. :hn

Get beads. :tu

Skip PG Solution, no real use, buy distilled water.

Patience, patience, patience. Never be in a hurry with anything cigar related. :rolleyes:

Store at a lower humidity and everything smokes better. :ss

I am sure there are more. Oh and check the signature for one more :tu

MajorCaptSilly
11-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Slowing down was important for me. I used to kill a robusto in around 20 minutes and couldn't figure out why it got harsh.

MCS

StinkiMonki
11-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Take the cedar off and light the foot.

Starscream
11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Don't buy from Thompson.
Don't smoke too fast.
Purge.
Snorking (took awhile, but finally got it down)
And last but not least:

Don't cut the Lusi in half.:bh

gettysburgfreak
11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Open your humidor, take a big wiff and savor the smell

Pushing friends down the slope is fun

BirdDok
11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I do this at least once a day! It's a sickness. :cb

Open your humidor, take a big wiff and savor the smell

Pushing friends down the slope is fun

Whee
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Try everything.
Smoke what YOU like, like what you smoke.

Words to live by.