PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys, whats my next step?

broncobiker
10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Ok I don't know who saw my help thread, but basically it was too humid and I was told to toss the sticks in the fridge. The fridge stands around 40 degrees and 65% RH. Its now down to about 55%RH in the room (down from 90%) and I think its time to move them out of the fridge and re-humidify the cigar box I am storing them in.

My guess would be to leave the sticks in there, put a damp sponge in the box or a plate of water let that sit for 24 hours to get the humid up them move in the stix and keep an eye on it.

What do you guys think? You know better than me. Buying a box is out of the question. No cash right now! Spent it on the sticks! :sh

DaBear
10-03-2010, 07:48 PM
my local B&M had me keep the cigars in a plastic bag with another smaller bag with a wet paper towel to keep them goin for awhile before i got my first humidor, so i'd suggest just that for keeping them for short periods of time(i would clear out the bag every month)

broncobiker
10-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I should also mention im keeping 23 cigs

Wharf Rat
10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
If you can keep your room at the present conditions, I would put the sticks out in the room. The room conditions are a lot closer to your desired final point (say, 70F and 65%RH) than the fridge. When the 'dor is ready, put the sticks in to complete the transition.

Chingas
10-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Chris, season your humidor (by wiping it down with distilled water and letting it sit for 24 hrs) while your sticks are in the fridge. You can always throw them in a tupperware container in the meantime, instead.

When your humidor is seasoned and holding a steady RH and temp, you can transfer your sticks to the humi.

I would grab, Boveda packs for 23 cigars to maintain the RH. Your preference, 65, 69, 70, 72, whatever. Then you should be good to go.

By the way, how big is the humi you speak of?

DaBear
10-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I should also mention im keeping 23 cigs

I'm actually using my B&M's technique currently since I just went out and bought 21 perdomo frescos and a new humidor until the humidor is seasoned. I have them in a gallon size ziplock with two paper towels in an open quart size bag

broncobiker
10-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't have a humi, I have a cigar box :)

bobarian
10-03-2010, 08:05 PM
1) Keep your cigars in a large ziplock back with nothing else. They will last at least 2 weeks with no humidification.

2) Season your humidor using this guide- http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

3) Calibrate your digital hygrometer using the salt method or a Boveda test kit.

4) Order some beads for humidification-HeartfeltIndustries and Shilala's beads are what most use here. Beads will regulate your humidity by absorbing moisture when it is too high and releasing it when it is too low. You can also use the green sponge with Propylene Glycol solution, but it is a bit messier than beads.

bobarian
10-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't have a humi, I have a cigar box :)

If this is the case then I would buy a Tupperware or Rubbermaid container for storage. Although not ideal they will maintain humidity much better than a cigar box. You can get a small Boveda pack at your local shop. Toss that in your container and you should be good for 3 months or so.

Chingas
10-03-2010, 08:09 PM
1) Keep your cigars in a large ziplock back with nothing else. They will last at least 2 weeks with no humidification.

2) Season your humidor using this guide- http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

3) Calibrate your digital hygrometer using the salt method or a Boveda test kit.

4) Order some beads for humidification-HeartfeltIndustries and Shilala's beads are what most use here. Beads will regulate your humidity by absorbing moisture when it is too high and releasing it when it is too low. You can also use the green sponge with Propylene Glycol solution, but it is a bit messier than beads.

Why did I even post...:D

Listen to this Brother...Bob knows his ****!:tu:tu

Wharf Rat
10-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Ziplocs are usually a good solution, but I must disagree in this case. As the cigars warm up, they need to absorb moisture. They won't get it in the bag, thus becoming drier on a RH basis.