PDA

View Full Version : Gurkha Spec Ops

jjmitchem
10-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Just heard about the Gurkha Spec Ops cigar on their facebook page

Does anyone know anything about these?

NCRadioMan
10-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey Jim! We just got in two cases. I must say, they are very nice and *gasp* a pretty good deal.

They come in a Otter Box/Cigar Caddy type case w/ purge valve that will hold 30 cigars (officially). Only 20 cigars come in it and only two 10 ct. foam trays are included. You would need to purchase a third to use it to it's full potential. It also comes with a commemorative coin and a really cool, high quality, fixed blade knife with sheath that straps around the leg.

By far the most intriguing Gurkha product, imo.

kelmac07
10-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Is this one different? Says "SEALS" cigars and only 105 boxes produced. ???? Bobby...where ya at brother?

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/news-views/cigar-news/1714-bulletin-first-pix-of-gurkha-seals-cigars

Emjaysmash
10-02-2010, 02:13 PM
This looks like an excellent idea on Gurkha's part. Nicely done.

s15driftking
10-02-2010, 02:56 PM
From what I heard a while back; Gurkha put out 3 new cigars at the same point in time about 6 months ago...

in this "run" the Special Ops, Ninja, and Viper were introduced. The special Ops box also comes with a D-2 knife. I have not had any of them. In the last year its been insanely tough to keep up with all their releases!

icehog3
10-02-2010, 03:22 PM
In the last year its been insanely tough to keep up with all their releases!

Sure, when they put out eleventy billion new blends a year. :r

Adriftpanda
10-02-2010, 03:25 PM
As much as I am not a fan of their cigars, you gotta give it up for their marketing team.

hammondc
10-02-2010, 03:27 PM
... In the last year its been insanely tough to keep up with all their releases!

Big ...huge...massive understatement. Gurkha and Rocky Patel both need to chill the hell out. They need to pick a couple styles and do them well instead of a bunch of overpriced mediocre sticks.
The only Gurkhas I really like are the ORIGINAL RELEASE (4 years ago or so?) of the Titan, Beast & Black Beauty. The couple Centurians were pretty good, but not worth the cash. Rockys original 1990 was very good, but seriously. He has been making the same blend for years nd years now. How long can he cling the 20 year old tobacco story.

NCRadioMan
10-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Is this one different? Says "SEALS" cigars and only 105 boxes produced. ???? Bobby...where ya at brother?

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/news-views/cigar-news/1714-bulletin-first-pix-of-gurkha-seals-cigars

That one is a bit different than the ones I have. The cigars have a second band that says Special Ops and the knives in them are all black. The coin looks the same. Trust me when I say it's a really nice knife and case. Can't say much about the cigars. :r

s15driftking
10-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Sure, when they put out eleventy billion new blends a year. :r

more than that!!

icehog3
10-02-2010, 04:36 PM
more than that!!

:wo

whodeeni
10-02-2010, 04:56 PM
HaHa!:noon

kelmac07
10-02-2010, 06:06 PM
more than that!!

Ah yes...the "micro batches". :r :r :r

s15driftking
10-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Ah yes...the "micro batches". :r :r :r

Which are DEE-Lish!!

The Master Select is also amazing... (Amongst others, teehee)

icehog3
10-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Which are DEE-Lish!!

The Master Select is also amazing... (Amongst others, teehee)

Again, opinions may vary. :)

s15driftking
10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Again, opinions may vary. :)

On here???? :sh

hehe

icehog3
10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
On here???? :sh

hehe

And everywhere I have smoked....smoke what you like, like what you smoke Bobby. :)

jjmitchem
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I have yet to smoke a Gurkha or a Rocky Patel I did not like -- my problem with them is that I keep going back instead of expanding my pallet

ABNMP619
10-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Hey Chappy,
I agree 100% with you. Gurkha and RP are always a pleasure!

jjmitchem
10-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Ok Greg

I have to ask - how much?

nick2021
10-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Ok Greg

I'd be curious to hear what these run for as well and a little more about the cigar. Seems like the case/coin/knife would be the marketing point for this new product.

BTcigars
10-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I have yet to smoke a Gurkha or a Rocky Patel I did not like -- my problem with them is that I keep going back instead of expanding my pallet

There is nothing wrong with smoking what you like! -(P

NCRadioMan
10-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Ok Greg

Around $200 for the entire package. Considering it's Gurkha and you get a great traveldor and slick knife, a good deal if you like the cigars.

hammer26a
10-03-2010, 10:45 PM
The knife looks like one made by a company called Extrema Ratio and those alone are a couple hundred dollars. Throw in a Pelican case and the Gurkhas on top and they're probably a little pricey.

But yes, Jim, I have yet to smoke a bad Gurkha.

To beat the prices I always check on Cigars International and wait for them to do a Ghurka sampler with 20 cigars for about 40 bucks, then they aren't as bad.

ipadforgoodcigar
10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Just found the Spec Ops online at www.coronacigar.com!

http://www.coronacigar.com/products/gurkha-special-ops-humidor-cigars-knife-combo.html

Only $159.95 for either version. :banger That's a steal if you ask me.

They made a funny video to promote it as well. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s6je4ITmMI

thebiglebowski
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
wait. purge valve???

Devanmc
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
yes, those travel cases will vacuum seal closed when taken on an airplane. the purge valve makes it easy to open the case back up.

s15driftking
10-05-2010, 07:18 PM
thats nuts! I thinks its a good deal. I wonder if the cigar is any good (on the level playing field that is: Gurkha)

ckay
10-05-2010, 08:53 PM
The knife is made in China. If you really want a tacticool knife, watch late night QVC and get a mega sampler for $40. That's my opinion. The marketing aspect is sheer genius.

BTcigars
10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
If you want a true tactical knife, ZT Knives (http://www.kershawknives.com/products.php?brand=zt). Nuff said :)

nick2021
10-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Thx for sharing the website, will have to check it out.

jjmitchem
10-06-2010, 02:30 AM
All Right!

I am pretty sure my wonderful wife just ordered this for me :ss

jsnake
10-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I got mine for $100. Out of town and picking it up when I get back. I couldn't pass this up at this price.

leafandale
10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I got mine for $100. Out of town and picking it up when I get back. I couldn't pass this up at this price.

Damn... that's less than cost. WTF??

Bill86
10-11-2010, 06:17 PM
If you want a true tactical knife, ZT Knives (http://www.kershawknives.com/products.php?brand=zt). Nuff said :)

ZT aren't bad, I've owned a few. The new Rick Hinderer collaboration knife will be their best hands down. I prefer my Strider SMF to the current ZT's also tactical to me = Microtech preferably a scarab or Halo.

Yeah that knife is a turd, definitely a China Cheapie.

LostAbbott
10-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Second on the Microtech. I have two of their knives and they are great.

jsnake
10-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Damn... that's less than cost. WTF??
I got a great connection. What can I say? Off to pick it up today. Finally found some time to go get it.

neoflex
10-12-2010, 06:59 AM
I have seen this package. I laughed and said "No one touches my Gurkhas otherwise I will cut chu." I am just wondering what else Gurkha will come up with next.

Nefari0us
10-12-2010, 07:56 AM
+1 to their marketing team... although I'll pass on this deal.. the best cigars I've ever smoked come in plain wooden boxes....

Lumpold
10-12-2010, 08:18 AM
[thread-jack]
So, according to the Corona website, these are supposed to retail at $500, and they can sell them for $160? Something smells of BS there - do NC manufacturers artificially inflate RRP so everyone thinks they're getting a blinding deal?
[/thread-jack]

ckay
10-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Gurkha is known for high MSRP. Look at the Centurian...$35 retail, but sell for $5.

Louistogies
10-12-2010, 11:38 AM
[thread-jack]
So, according to the Corona website, these are supposed to retail at $500, and they can sell them for $160? Something smells of BS there - do NC manufacturers artificially inflate RRP so everyone thinks they're getting a blinding deal?
[/thread-jack]

I was thinking the same thing.

jjmitchem
10-15-2010, 05:57 AM
-(P

My gift from my wife arrived this week!! very nice! I promise to get some pics up, there are two other Soldiers who got this set also and at least one more on its way so I am waiting to get a pic of all of us together - will have to send that to Gurkha!!

As far as the cigars - very nice, as expected of Gurkha, I smoked one the frist night it was here - I usually let them sit for a few days when cigars get to us in Iraq but I figured that was what the pelican case was for :tu This is a very smooth two hour smoke!!

The coin is very nice - those military types will understand the value of this

The knife, though not claimed by Extrema Ratio (I sent them an email and got a very short response back - "no that is not ours") is very nice and well made. The only engraving on it is Gurkha but the drop leg sheath does have "made in Italy" on it - where Extrema Ratio is produced. The knife does look exactly like there Doberman II

All in all - very good deal and a neat way to celebrate our deployment here.

As far as Gurkha - Smoke What You Like, Like What You Smoke!!!!!

Chappy - Cigar 6

LostAbbott
10-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Do you know what kind of steel the knife is made from?

jjmitchem
10-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Not yet, going to take the handle off and see if it is stamped but I need to find an allen wrench to do that.

LostAbbott
10-15-2010, 09:38 AM
that would be sweet if it is 154cm or something similar. It wouls totally make this a sick deal.

jjmitchem
11-05-2010, 11:22 PM
As promised - finally took our FOB Cobra Spec Ops Cigar Pic

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=604&pictureid=4900

These cigars are great, smooth, spicy and about an hour and half smoke

Forces you to sit and relieve the stress for a little bit!!

icehog3
11-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Enjoy the "down time", Chappy...and thank you for all you do. :usa

Bill86
11-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Well that's good to hear the cigars are good. Not so sure about the knife :r :r

-(P

My gift from my wife arrived this week!! very nice! I promise to get some pics up, there are two other Soldiers who got this set also and at least one more on its way so I am waiting to get a pic of all of us together - will have to send that to Gurkha!!

As far as the cigars - very nice, as expected of Gurkha, I smoked one the frist night it was here - I usually let them sit for a few days when cigars get to us in Iraq but I figured that was what the pelican case was for :tu This is a very smooth two hour smoke!!

The coin is very nice - those military types will understand the value of this

The knife, though not claimed by Extrema Ratio (I sent them an email and got a very short response back - "no that is not ours") is very nice and well made. The only engraving on it is Gurkha but the drop leg sheath does have "made in Italy" on it - where Extrema Ratio is produced. The knife does look exactly like there Doberman II

All in all - very good deal and a neat way to celebrate our deployment here.

As far as Gurkha - Smoke What You Like, Like What You Smoke!!!!!

Chappy - Cigar 6

My guess is it's a china cheapie knock off of the extreme ratio..... Either way I got some good money on the blade being made of 440C or Aus 8 steel. If not definitely a lesser version of these IE (440A or aus 4/6)

If I were making this knife I would've had Microtech put out a Ultratech to go with it or at least a Socom.

sikk50
11-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Thank you for your service! :usa

ipadforgoodcigar
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
FYI, Corona Cigar Co. just got another shipment of the Spec Ops cigar/knife combo. This time in a yellow case.

If you missed it last time this is another shot at it.

I really enjoyed the last one, can't wait to get this one too.

http://www.coronacigar.com/products/gurkha-special-ops-humidor-cigars-knife-combo.html