PDA

View Full Version : Walking the Picket line

jonumberone
09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
NY and New Jersey ports have successfully been shut down by the membership of the I.L.A.
It's my second Day out on the picket line
Today we are in violation of federal injunction sending us back to work
I have a feeling if our demands aren't met today we could be in for a long haul
Morale is high and I don't see us breaking. The Union has ordered us back to work but the membership is honoring the picket.
The Demonstration has been more than peaceful, though today some Special divisions of the Police have been more visible, with a stronger overall police presence.
I'm a little shocked at how much pride I feel walking out there and also how strong the response has been by my union brothers. I'm not old enough to remember any of the labor movements that took place in the past, but am certain if I was around back then, I would've been a problem.

Here's a link to the news story

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/20100929_Longshoremen_s_strike_shuts_down_several_ ports.html

Just sharing my thoughts and hoping to get this settled and everyone back to work soon!

Darrell
09-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Good on you for sticking with your Union Brothers! :tu

ucla695
09-29-2010, 10:25 AM
I hope everything is resolved quickly!

HK3-
09-29-2010, 11:27 AM
:tu

rizzle
09-29-2010, 11:49 AM
This could tread dangerously close to politics.
:2

smelvis
09-29-2010, 11:59 AM

That's what I thought, in these day's and economy. I hate to see people out of work though.

croatan
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM

If it does, from either side, it'll be closed :)

rizzle
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
If it does, from either side, it'll be closed :)

Thanks. :tu

Gophernut
09-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Good luck with getting everything solved quickly!

Coach Deg
09-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Good-Luck with this! My dad talks about when he walked the ILA picket lines holding me as a baby 40 something years ago.

Chingas
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Dom. Best of luck with work Brother. You can smoke in line, right!?

kelmac07
09-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Here's hoping they crumble to the demands!! :tu

loki
09-29-2010, 05:44 PM
with unemployment the way it is this may not be the smartest idea...but I hope this gets resolved n a fair and equal way for both parties

Samsquanch
09-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Dom. Best of luck with work Brother. You can smoke in line, right!?

I hope so! We've got some work to do for Dan!! No matter one's politics, it's great to see brothers sticking together for a common cause.

lyle23
09-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear you have to walk the line like this. I am a union employee myself on the municipal end. I hope this is solved soon and you guys get what you are looking for. Good luck

BigFrank
09-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Glad to hear there is some strong solidarity in your local brother.

smelvis
09-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I am more pro union like 80% I had my mind changed from a roommate that moved in after he got a divorce and needed a place to stay he stayed four years LOL He taught me quite a bit and I always did see shipping our manufacturing plus other Jobs over sea's was going to bite us in the ass and IMHO it is doing so now.
I see abuses and could relate a big one but it would maybe be to political. I'll just say glad you can smoke while honoring your brothers and wish you success.

Dave

jonumberone
09-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Just an update
As of 7pm the Philadelphia local withdrew its picket and we resumed normal vessel operations.
The picket was dropped after the Union was given an immediate seat at the table with the United States Maritime alliance (USMX) and New York Shipping Association (NYSA) to discuss the over 200 lost Jobs.

Thanks for the support Guys!!

smelvis
09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Congrats Bro!

forgop
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Here in Indy, we have a GM plant that is scheduled to be shut down next year. A potential buyer stepped up and offered existing UAW members a reduced compensation package to keep the plant open. They would still maintain transfer rights to another GM plant and they voted it down. Potential buyer has pulled out and the plant is closing down. Not a good time to be voting down continued employment as there are THOUSANDS who would be in line to take your place today.

BigFrank
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Not a good time to be voting down continued employment as there are THOUSANDS who would be in line to take your place today.

Continued employment at what cost? Just because someone will work the same job for less, doesn't mean skill workers should buckle under the pressure to give up what they rightfully fought to obtain.