PDA

View Full Version : DBall smoking blind NCs...

DBall
09-28-2010, 11:37 AM
I’m not an NC smoker… I haven’t had any in quite some time that really did anything for me (aside from NC Davis). This should be a fun experiment. :banger

Thanks to jonumberone (Dom) for granting my wish for such an exercise in the NC MAW.

Here are the cigars:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0376.jpg

DBall
09-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Cigar #1:

Pre-draw is super chocolatey…

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0378.jpg

1st/3rd:

Lighting it… I’m used to habanos… typically aged or mild. Therefore, I like to push a LOT of smoke out of my nose… gotta be careful during this tasting run.

The flavors here are pretty tasty, though I can’t quite discern them. Bitterness on the back of the tongue as well, but not bad. This cigar is fairly strong and, to my palate, the flavors are a bit muddled by that strength. Ash is a couple shades lighter than coal… hahaha… very dark. I’m trying to sip this and it is not making much difference.

The benefit to this blind run is that, considering I don’t smoke NCs, I have no idea of profiles or what’s out there. I couldn’t guess what any of these are if I had to.

I am getting some chocolate out of the first third. As an aside, the ash doesn’t like the cigar and continually succeeds in escaping it.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0379.jpg

2nd/3rd :

By ‘muddled’ I mean… imagine if you took rainbow sherbet, vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream and mixed them all up. You know you’re eating something cold, like I know I’m smoking a cigar. Every now and then some flavor pops in. That’s this cigar.

I feel like I’m having an incredibly hard time picking out flavors. In the interest of full disclosure, this is my second cigar of the day… perhaps that has something to do with it. I also seem to be getting that acidy/bittery aftertaste on the tongue characteristic of ever time I try to enjoy an NC. It tastes like my mouth is made of yuck. Don’t misunderstand, though… the smoke itself is good. The palate-coating ‘flavor’, however, not so much. On the sides of my tongue on the back it’s that same feeling as when you eat a lemon.

I gotta say, I’m kinda enjoying this. Especially now as I’m noticing the overall bitterness slipping away after the halfway point (aside from the back/sides of the tongue thing that’s still there and noticeable… especially when I’m not actively smoking it).
I’m going into this with a fully open mind… as I said, it’s been quite a while for me and NCs… if there’s a band on it, though, I may try to tie it in with things I’ve heard in passing about them as some of my friends I get together with weekly smoke NC’s pretty much exclusively.

At this point, the cigar seems to be mellowing out a bit, but there’s still spice to it… something meaty about it… definitely stronger than what I’m used to smoking. That ‘back of the tongue bitterness’ is still present and driving me nuts when I’m not actively smoking it.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0380.jpg

3rd/3rd:

Burn is perfect, construction is great and the draw is effortless. I do smoke by habit, though, in the sense that I keep trying to push large volumes of smoke out my nose. My nose burns.

The smoke itself, however, still tastes pretty good aside from the spice and bitter. Still, though, I’m not pinpointing anything specific… the chocolate vanished some time back. I don’t necessarily dislike it, though… it’s just hard to explain.

It’s now taking on a bit of a sawdust-y profile… reminds me of woodworking. I do love the size, though… this is comparable to what I typically go to in that regard.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0381.jpg

In closing, I’ve definitely smoked worse cigars. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it... wouldn't really seek them out. While at times the smoke itself was good, it’s hard to get past the lingering bitterness, muddled flavors, the not-so-pleasant aftertaste and its strength. From now on, I will make these testing cigars my first cigar of the day so I might have a fresher palate.

Rating out of 100: 65

akumushi
09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
This is going to be fun. That tongue coating nastyness is the biggest reason I switched to Habanos, I find it is worst in Honduran leaf, then lesser in Dominican, and finally pretty rare in Nicaraguan smokes. Do you find it kind of metallic?
I mentioned it a while back in this thread: (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27100&highlight=metallic+taste)

DBall
09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
This is going to be fun. That tongue coating nastyness is the biggest reason I switched to Habanos, I find it is worst in Honduran leaf, then lesser in Dominican, and finally pretty rare in Nicaraguan smokes. Do you find it kind of metallic?
I mentioned it a while back in this thread: (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27100&highlight=metallic+taste)

I did not get any 'metallic' out of it, per se, but it was acrid.

Brutus2600
09-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Hehe...I like this thread. Looking forward to seeing the rest of these from Mr. BTT himself :D

DBall
09-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Ohhhh... Dom's here. What did I smoke? :D

LostAbbott
09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
When are we going to find out what you smoked?

jonumberone
09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Dan
You smoked a Viaje Platino Lancero

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/cigar/091.jpg?t=1285701207

DBall
09-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Dan
You smoked a Viaje Platino Lancero

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/cigar/091.jpg?t=1285701207

Oh? Sweet... I've been hearing a lot about these Viaje things. Thanks for the opportunity to try one!

jonumberone
09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Of the regular production Viaje line the Platino is my least favorite.
I enjoy them but like the Oro and 50/50 better.

E.J.
09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
These threads are fun. Look forward to following it.

Thanks to Dan and Dom.....

09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
These threads are fun. Look forward to following it.

Thanks to Dan and Dom.....

+1

Doctorossi
09-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Turnabout is fun play! Thank you for doing this, Dom!

Dan and Clayton, I don't know what kind of NCs you're getting "tongue-coating nastiness" out of. :confused: This has never been an issue for me.

jonumberone
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM

This was Dan's wish. He wanted it :D

kelmac07
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM
This should be fun to watch!! :tu

akumushi
09-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Dan and Clayton, I don't know what kind of NCs you're getting "tongue-coating nastiness" out of. :confused: This has never been an issue for me.
From another thread
The NC sourness I'm talking about is an actually sour taste that I get on my tongue. It may be a more metallic in some smokes, so it may be from some mineral in the soil, but I call it sour because it reminds me of the cloying artififcial sour taste you get from sour-apple flavored candy. The guilty NCs are most often Honduran, then to a lesser extent Dominican, and seldom Nicaraguan. Luckily I haven't experienced it in any DPG, Tatuaje or Illusione products, so those are about the only NCs I still track down and buy. These NCs I'm smoking through are left over from my first few noob purchases, and the biggest guilty parties are anything by General Cigar, most lines from Camacho, and to a lesser extent, a few of the lines by Padilla and LGC. It's purely a function of the tongue, rather than any aroma, and seems to accumulate on the tongue as you continue to smoke. Some of these cigars smell fine on the nose, but the sourness on the tongue is just too distracting to tolerate.

The topic of tasters and supertasters (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/comfort-cravings/201006/are-you-supertaster-mindless-eating-your-taste-buds)comes up now and then on different boards. The short and long of it is that everyone has a different amount of tastebuds, and that some people with a much higher amount than the average, "supertasters" can pick up certain traces of bitterness or sourness that others simply can't taste. I don't know whether or not I qualify for this status or not, but I do know that I often pick up funky flavors that are unpleasant to me in cigars that a lot of people enjoy without mentioning it. Whether or not that is due to something objective like the supertaster thing, or something entirely subjective such as personal taste, is another story.
I was just happy to hear that I'm not the only one that finds that "tongue coating nastiness" as a hallmark of certain NCs. When I was a newb, I simply wrote it off as part of the cigar smoking experience and powered through it. Now that I know that a cigar doesn't have to taste like you're sucking on a quarter, I stick to my CCs and the handful of Premium NCs that don't have that aftertaste. If I get a cigar that maintains that taste for more than a minute, I pitch it and find something else. Interestingly, I have never tasted it in a CC. I'm not saying I haven't had my share of nasty flavors in a handful of much too young or improperly stored CCs, but I've never had anything with this particular cloying aftertaste from The Island.
/threadjack

akumushi
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Here's another really interesting article on the ability to taste bitterness. (http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/traits/ptc/)

"PTC tasters may be more sensitive than non-tasters to compounds in tobacco and vegetables in the cabbage family."

Doctorossi
09-28-2010, 04:50 PM
This was Dan's wish. He wanted it :D

And how, exactly, does that not make you awesome for providing?

Sorry, Dom, it's too late. You're cool. ;s :su

Doctorossi
09-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Interesting info, Clayton- thanks. The NC brands you mention are ones that don't really get much mouth time from me.

wayner123
09-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Here's another really interesting article on the ability to taste bitterness. (http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/traits/ptc/)

"PTC tasters may be more sensitive than non-tasters to compounds in tobacco and vegetables in the cabbage family."

Thank you for that article. It claims that 75% of people CAN taste PTC, while 25% cannot on average. So to me that would mean the majority of people are tasters(?) That doesn't make sense nor does it go in line with all of the other peer reviewed information on tasting.

akumushi
09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I think that the two categories are similar but not completely related, the PTC taster/non-taster test is used to find out whether or not you have the particular genes that allow you to taste that chemical and other closely related ones, whereas if I understand it right, the non-taster, taster and supertaster categories of the other article refer to the concentration of tastebuds you have on your tongue and therefore how sensitive your sense of taste is to all flavors. That article breaks breaks the distribution down as 25% non-tasters, 50% tasters and 25% supertasters, so that trend basically just follows the bell curve.

HK3-
09-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Looking forward to watching this thread. Thanks for taking one for the team Dan. :tu

wayner123
09-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I think that the two categories are similar but not completely related, the PTC taster/non-taster test is used to find out whether or not you have the particular genes that allow you to taste that chemical and other closely related ones, whereas if I understand it right, the non-taster, taster and supertaster categories of the other article refer to the concentration of tastebuds you have on your tongue and therefore how sensitive your sense of taste is to all flavors. That article breaks breaks the distribution down as 25% non-tasters, 50% tasters and 25% supertasters, so that trend basically just follows the bell curve.

According to the first article:

Supertasters have a gene that allows them to taste the bitterness of a chemical called PROP (propylthiouracil). If you place the PTC paper on your tongue and you taste bitterness, you know you are a supertaster.

It is only those who "have a much denser distribution of taste buds than medium and nontasters." And that amount is 25% which falls in line with all of the research and articles I have found. If you question which one you are personally, do either of the two tests that the first article recommends.

I don't want to continue to thread jack Dball's thread. If you want to discuss it more, let's start a new thread or PM. I am fascinated by the sense of taste. And to add to it, some will tell you that no matter how many tastebuds you have, if your sinuses are messed up, you won't "taste" anything.

akumushi
09-29-2010, 01:28 PM
According to the first article:

It is only those who "have a much denser distribution of taste buds than medium and nontasters." And that amount is 25% which falls in line with all of the research and articles I have found. If you question which one you are personally, do either of the two tests that the first article recommends.

I don't want to continue to thread jack Dball's thread. If you want to discuss it more, let's start a new thread or PM. I am fascinated by the sense of taste. And to add to it, some will tell you that no matter how many tastebuds you have, if your sinuses are messed up, you won't "taste" anything.

Haha, I think we're both right, but that means that one of the articles has some inaccuracies. One states that 25% of people are supertasters and that a positive on the PTC test means that you are a supertaster, whereas the other states that 75% test positive for PTC, so either more people are supertasters than the first claims, or the PTC test is either unrelated, or only differentiates between non-tasters and "oher" tasters, lumping tasters and supertasters together. :confused:
I think I've muddled up your thread enough for now Dan, you had better hurry up and smoke another NC:r:r

Doctorossi
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for taking one for the team Dan. :tu

Well, I don't expect Dom sent crap.

PeteSB75
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
From another thread

The topic of tasters and supertasters (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/comfort-cravings/201006/are-you-supertaster-mindless-eating-your-taste-buds)comes up now and then on different boards. The short and long of it is that everyone has a different amount of tastebuds, and that some people with a much higher amount than the average, "supertasters" can pick up certain traces of bitterness or sourness that others simply can't taste. I don't know whether or not I qualify for this status or not, but I do know that I often pick up funky flavors that are unpleasant to me in cigars that a lot of people enjoy without mentioning it. Whether or not that is due to something objective like the supertaster thing, or something entirely subjective such as personal taste, is another story.
I was just happy to hear that I'm not the only one that finds that "tongue coating nastiness" as a hallmark of certain NCs. When I was a newb, I simply wrote it off as part of the cigar smoking experience and powered through it. Now that I know that a cigar doesn't have to taste like you're sucking on a quarter, I stick to my CCs and the handful of Premium NCs that don't have that aftertaste. If I get a cigar that maintains that taste for more than a minute, I pitch it and find something else. Interestingly, I have never tasted it in a CC. I'm not saying I haven't had my share of nasty flavors in a handful of much too young or improperly stored CCs, but I've never had anything with this particular cloying aftertaste from The Island.
/threadjack

Never heard this reason for it before, but it is one of the main reasons I also smoke primarily CCs now. I seem to also notice it much more when it is there now that I am not smoking NCs very often. I have gotten it from Tatuaje, especially the newer blends/lines but never from any Padron, Oliva or Fuente product. Explains my preferences there. Interestingly, I also sometimes get it from espresso, especially when it is cheap espresso - one of the reasons I avoid most retail coffee places here in the states. When I still smoked them, I would also get it from some brands of cigarettes, but not all.

DBall
09-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Cigar #2

This beast looks maduro and is 50rg x 6 7/8” (read: nowhere near anything I smoke size-wise).

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0382.jpg

1st/3rd:

Prelight draw shows perfect construction, great draw and no flavors to really write home about. Lighting it up… smoke really isn’t too strong, which is good. That said, I just found out that it’s not a good idea to push all the smoke out my nose.

Out the nose, however, when I look past the fire ants in my nostrils, I do get a very woody flavor that’s agreeable. No real bitterness or anything as of yet… the smoke is a good flavor. I just sneezed thanks to my fire ant friends.

There’s something fruity in the aftertaste of this cigar which is very pleasant… like some sweet stewed fruit. This is a decent cigar so far… the size is a bit much, but I think the reason I resist cigars of this size is because I like change. I’ve had some cigars that chance frequently throughout the smoking of it. This experience primarily occurred with CCs… NC’s could have decent flavors, but didn’t really change drastically enough to keep me interested. Perhaps it’s ADD…

As another note, I’m pairing this with coffee… now I’m going to grab some Pellegrino as well.

2nd/3rd:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0384.jpg

That tasty fruitiness is so far in the background it might as well not even be there... the predominant flavor now is back to the woodiness, but there is also a sweetness. I’m really enjoying this cigar and, oddly, I believe this would be a good cigar with some age on it. The reason I find that odd is that I haven’t really seen many NCs that benefit from age. I know that’s an unscientific and likely unfair blanket statement, but I’ve had 02 Anejos and just didn’t dig them (and this was when I was smoking NCs predominantly).

After the half, I’m getting a little… something. How’s that for specific, eh? This cigar has some of that muddled-ness I noticed in the last cigar, either that or my palate is just weak. That’s just as likely. Still, though, I’m enjoying it.

I have gotten no bitterness from this cigar, in fact, there’s been a sweet undertone (at times an overtone) throughout the entirety of this stick.

3rd/3rd:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0386.jpg

Not really pulling many particular flavors at this point, but still enjoying it. I’m really curious to find out what this is. There a little glue-type taste in the distant background… not enough to make this a bad cigar by any stretch. Strength is definitely picking up at this point, which is typical.

I have picked up the habit lately of finding stems in cigars and tearing them out, often to the detriment of the cigar, but it’s a habit I can’t seem to break. I’ve been holding off on this cigar, but I couldn’t hold off anymore:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0387.jpg

Now, it’s simply become a cigar. I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly up to this point… now though, it’s getting a bit rough. At this point, I’m calling the game. The strength at this point is much more than I enjoy.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0388.jpg

I’d rate this cigar an 89 and am curious as to what it is.

jonumberone
09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Dan you smoked a Los Blancos Nine Toro

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/cigar/DSC02188-1-1.jpg?t=1285870274

Doctorossi
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Dan, your rating # on #2 took me by surprise. Based on the text of your review, I was expecting smaller digits.

jonumberone
09-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Dan, your rating # on #2 took me by surprise. Based on the text of your review, I was expecting smaller digits.

I felt the same way.
Maybe he didn't want to come out and say I smoke dog rockets :D

DBall
09-30-2010, 12:40 PM

I felt the same way.
Maybe he didn't want to come out and say I smoke dog rockets :D

I thought I gave it a pretty positive review... I mentioned about 5 times how much I was enjoying it.

Starscream
10-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I'll have to try one of these sticks. If it's an NC and Dan likes it, it must be pretty good.:tu

DBall
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Cigar #3

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0402.jpg

This cigar is a f***ing beast. 52 RG, over 6” long. The people I meet with weekly would get a huge kick out of me smoking something so uncharacteristically large…

1st/3rd:

Pre light draw is pretty much too easy… this thing is like a straw. A really, really fat straw. Lighting it and starting out, I’m really not getting anything from this flavor-wise at the very beginning. Just smoke. Blech… at this point I wonder if I’ll even be able to finish this thing. It’s the flavor of burning leaves being sucked through a big, fat straw.

Oh god… this is bad. I swear I just got chlorine, like I accidently got water in my mouth at a YMCA pool.

If it weren’t for the awful flavors that occasionally appear, there would be none.

2nd/3rd:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0403.jpg

I figure this can’t get much worse, so I decided to pair it with a nice tall cup of bleach. The burning in my gullet and the feeling of corroding esophageal lining and stomach tissue offsets the pungent, acrid smoke this atrocity spews forth.

I am wondering if the Mr. Yuk sticker is on the box this came from. Smoking this makes me feel like Kermit in the “Sad Kermit – Hurt” video (look that up on youtube at your own risk… if you have a truly demented sense of humor, you may laugh quite a bit. I’d almost call it NSFW, but it is a muppet, after all…).

My throat feels like I swallowed a pitchfork. I don’t hate myself enough to finish this.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0404.jpg

Score: -5,452,805,013 out of 10. This should be used as a method of torture… it tastes like unbridled sorrow.

E.J.
10-06-2010, 10:56 AM
I could not stop laughing.....but the end picture finished it off perfectly....

Thanks Dan...:r

MiamiE
10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Great thread DBall! I will be following it closely.

10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I could not stop laughing. I'm sorry your misery brings me such joy. Keep the blind reviews coming. :D

Brutus2600
10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Rofl...

Doctorossi
10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, I don't expect Dom sent crap.

Perhaps I spoke too soon. :r

DBall
10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Perhaps I spoke too soon. :r

I don't think he sent 'crap', I just think everyone's tastes are different. Mine, clearly, are not in line with people who enjoy that last cigar... ;)

Doctorossi
10-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think he sent 'crap', I just think everyone's tastes are different.

I don't know, man... I know you're having fun with language and presentation here, but that one sounded tres harsh. As I try new (to me) things, I occasionally encounter a stick that does little or nothing for me, but I really can't recall the last time I had anything that made me want to bleach my mouth! :D

I'm contemplating pleading with you to accept a second blind bundle from me, for fear of NCs being too narrowly represented (no offense, Dom!). I have some things I'm pretty confident you'll enjoy and find appreciable flavors in... after a suitable break for you, of course. ;)

akumushi
10-06-2010, 12:35 PM
The last picture says it all:r

HK3-
10-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Now that's a funny ass fakin review right there Dan! :r Wondering now what the hell it was that you smoked? Or didn't. :)

DBall
10-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Now that's a funny ass fakin review right there Dan! :r Wondering now what the hell it was that you smoked? Or didn't. :)

Dude... Hal, I tried! :r:r:r

HK3-
10-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Dude... Hal, I tried! :r:r:r

I'm still laughing :r

jonumberone
10-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Dan

You smoked an Illusione Epernay Le Monde

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/cigar/093.jpg?t=1286403284

I wish I had known you smaller cigars.
Shame on me for not doing my research.:)

kelmac07
10-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Enjoying this thread very much!! :D

DBall
10-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Wow... that surprises me.

I really actually like Illusiones (the MK specifically... I got a 5er of them a while back and smoked my second to last one a couple months ago... absolutely loved it).

I'm truly astonished that I didn't like that. I wonder if I would've liked it better knowing what it was up front... that's why I love these blind tasting things. Seems to get pretty honest without the bands.

As for you sending me RG cigars I like, no worries... I am doing this to get out of my comfort zone. Anyway, the majority of cigars you got in my BTT I sent you were, as Chicken calls them, "number 2 pencils". ;)

Flynnster
10-06-2010, 04:37 PM
This looks like a great thread, nice to see some opinions when there is no pre judgment.

DBall
10-06-2010, 04:54 PM
This looks like a great thread, nice to see some opinions when there is no pre judgment.

check these threads, too, then. I'm on my fourth round of hosting Blind Taste Tests.

Blind Taste Test Thread #1 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21549)

Blind Taste Test Thread #2 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27728)

Blind Taste Test Thread #3 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32639)

The 4th one, in progress, is here:

Blind Taste Test Thread #4 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36748)

:tu

Flynnster
10-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Why do they always pick on you? Or do you bring this upon yourself? haha

DBall
10-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Why do they always pick on you? Or do you bring this upon yourself? haha

The newbs? I'm sure it's my fault somehow... :D

Starscream
10-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow... that surprises me.

I really actually like Illusiones

From your review, I'm surprised it's an Illusione too. Wow!

Flynnster
10-06-2010, 07:12 PM
The newbs? I'm sure it's my fault somehow... :D

My bad, I misread those other threads, I though it was you blind testing the cigars.

If you need any new newbs I know a guy...........

DBall
10-06-2010, 07:21 PM
My bad, I misread those other threads, I though it was you blind testing the cigars.

If you need any new newbs I know a guy...........

Well... we are just starting the 4th one. If I do a fifth it'll be 10 to 12 weeks... by then, all you'll need are 100 posts (give or take) and at least 1 trade. :tu

rizzle
10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
… it tastes like unbridled sorrow.

Dan, is this line trademarked or can I use it on occasion? That's some beautificous prose, bro.
:tu

Tikihut27
10-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes, I think "unbridled sorrow" may be replacing "agitated geraniums" as the taste phrase of choice around the Rochester area...

Starscream
10-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Any updates yet, Dan? I really like this thread!:tu

shilala
10-14-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm not surprised with your review of the Illusione. The last one I tried was like smoking a fistful of a$$holes. When I try most cigars our brothers are digging, I can usually pick out reasons why they'd like them, even if I don't enjoy the flavors. There's really no hope for this brand in my book.
Even though I've never found a Pete Johnson stick I like, I keep trying cause I figure that sooner or later I'll find something I like. I gave up on this stuff altogether. :)

wayner123
10-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm not surprised with your review of the Illusione. The last one I tried was like smoking a fistful of a$$holes. When I try most cigars our brothers are digging, I can usually pick out reasons why they'd like them, even if I don't enjoy the flavors. There's really no hope for this brand in my book.
Even though I've never found a Pete Johnson stick I like, I keep trying cause I figure that sooner or later I'll find something I like. I gave up on this stuff altogether. :)

Have you had the Holy Lancero?

DBall
10-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Cigar #4

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0416.jpg

1st/3rd:

This cigar is a lancero sized cigar… perfect amount of resistance on the pre draw and very cocoa-ish flavors. Lit it up and, again, forgot this was an NC and tried to push it out my nose. I physically cringed.

I’m not getting anything but spice. I think this cigar is giving me heartburn.

Sadly, I was expecting great things due to its size… I really was looking forward to this cigar for that reason. Silly me. I’m less than a third in, though, so I’m keeping an open mind.

This thing, so far, is too much chaos for my palate to decipher what flavors may or may not be there. It’s like the difference between a boxing match and being hit in the face with an out of control wrecking ball… all punch, no finesse.

2nd/3rd:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0417.jpg

The palate-coating flavor of this is like those big pouches of chewing tobacco… exactly.

http://fujipub.com/houseofoxford/redmanpouch.jpg

Seriously… it’s 100% like that. I’m actually gonna guess this is a Red Man brand cigar. Am I right? I think I am. I used to get flavors like that out of La Aurora 1495’s… back then, I even liked them. However, my palate changed (considerably, apparently).

…aaaaaaaaaaand now it went out. I almost wanna leave it that way, but I will soldier on.

At the half, this is not my cup of tea. I get together with my friends on Sundays and smoke cigars, but I’m pretty sure I’ve ruined my palate for the day. I strongly feel the urge to drink some Maalox for the indigestion.

3rd/3rd:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0418.jpg

My throat is itchy now… not in the good way. I can push a little out my nose at the end of this. I’m picking up some flavors, but it’s definitely muddled. The cigar is now redeeming itself, though… pushing the smoke out my nose (in extreme moderation) rewards me with some tastiness. I wish I could pinpoint it better, but I can’t.

Gotta say it’s a bit charry now, but the ending hasn’t been horrible… a little chocolate on the finish, but still masked by the strength and charred overtone. Still not what I’d classify as a good cigar, though.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0419.jpg

Score: 4/10

Not horrible, but TERRIBLY strong in the first two thirds. It mellowed out a bit and got better in the final third, but I’m not forgiving it for the decent ending. It’s like being in a fight, getting your ass kicked and then having the person who stomped you tell ya that you did a good job. Sure, it feels good to hear it, but ya still got your ass kicked.

jonumberone
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Dan

You smoked a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Lancero

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/cigar/094.jpg?t=1287370013

akumushi
10-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm also not a fan of how strong these cigars are. If you think the lancero is bad, the chisel is outrageously strong. The one I tried to smoke was spicy like a jalapeno and the strength made sweaty and light headed after 1/2 inch.:td

rizzle
10-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Add me, too. I just can't enjoy the LFD brand. I've tried, but I just don't like them.

wayner123
10-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Any updates??

DBall
10-28-2010, 08:09 AM
1 left... it'll happen soon. :D

DBall
11-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Cigar #5

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0437.jpg

1st/3rd:

Absolutely ZERO resistance… the last one like this was that Epernay. I am scared already. I am being fully literal… there is not even the slightest resistance. I like a loose draw, but this is ridiculous.

If I put too much out my nose, it’s a bit acrid. If I put a nominal amount out, though, it’s pretty decent.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0438.jpg

This thing is falling apart a bit. I wanna write about the flavors, but I’m not really getting anything aside from a bit of a sawdusty flavor out the nose. I mean, this isn’t bad, per se, but it’s really nothing special. It’s no powerhouse, at least, so that’s good. It’s just airy and burny.

2nd/3rd:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0439.jpg

All I can think of is that this is fully unsatisfying, yet not terrible offensive. It’s like plain grits. They are what they are, and they are not my cup of tea. I’m very bored smoking this.

Stepped away for about 20 minutes and relit… still nothing. This cigar has the rare ability to make me want to clean my apartment. That would truly be much more exciting.

3rd/3rd:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0440.jpg

Blah. Whatever.

2.5/10. I’m gonna go watch some paint dry to step up the excitement level a bit…

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/CIMG0441.jpg

rizzle
11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
So, you're saying you liked it? :r

akumushi
11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
:r For some reason, this review made me think these guys were narrating it.
http://carpefactum.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/29/muppet_statler_waldorf.jpg

jonumberone
11-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Dan, you smoked a God Of Fire Carlito Tubo

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/cigar/097.jpg?t=1289923124

CigarGuy88
11-16-2010, 09:03 AM
d*mn.... i knew the Carlito's were terrible but i didnt know they're that bad :D

Brutus2600
11-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Dang, goes to show different tastes...even higher end cigars can taste like crap to some people :sh lol

ChicagoWhiteSox
11-16-2010, 09:11 AM
wow:r

Superbad
11-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Great choices Dom, and great reviews Dan!

DBall
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Wow, Dom... thanks for the great and varied selection. Even when I was smoking NCs, I couldn't get into Padrons and Fuentes. That was, however, my first GOF. I was truly surprised at how loose the draw was... it was really like there was no cigar there at all.

CigarNut
11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd like to thank both Dom and Dan for doing this -- it was enlightening! As many have said -- we all have our own tastes. One man's treasure is another man's trash :)