PDA

View Full Version : Help Guys

broncobiker
09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
My box got too moist and there was moisture on the plastic wrappers, the cigars seem a bit soft, do I pull them out of the wrappers and let them sit? Box is hovering around 78% and rooms at 65%

pnoon
09-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I would remove the cellophane and let them sit at the ambient room RH for a few days - assuming it doesn't go up or drop by more than 5-10%
:2

broncobiker
09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Im paranoid haha they arent high class but its still a good 140$ worth of Taback Especials (Fav) its dorm room with windows closed so it stays fairly dry. I didnt expect the box to take humidity so well.

Nickerson
09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow the humidity in your humidor was at 78%? Yikes. Leave that thing open and let it air out.

I usually remove the cigars from cellophane as it helps them age better, but from now on I'm leaving them on. It prevent damage to cigar when moving or transporting, if the cigar has beetles it would keep the isolated, and most importantly it keeps the cigars flavors from mixing with others.

It seems if they all age together without cellophane they can begin to all taste like each other.

pnoon
09-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Wow the humidity in your humidor was at 78%? Yikes. Leave that thing open and let it air out.

I usually remove the cigars from cellophane as it helps them age better, but from now on I'm leaving them on. It prevent damage to cigar when moving or transporting, if the cigar has beetles it would keep the isolated, and most importantly it keeps the cigars flavors from mixing with others.

It seems if they all age together without cellophane they can begin to all taste like each other.
78% is indeed way too high.
Beetles can and will work their way thru cellophane.
Flavors marrying takes many years at a minimum. Some say decades. (Infused/flavored cigars excepted.)
Posted via Mobile Device

bobarian
09-28-2010, 10:57 AM

I believe you are mistaken. Cellophane is a bio product made from plants.
1) There is no evidence that cigars age better or worse with cello, it is a personal preference.
2) Cellophane will limit damage when moving cigars around in a humidor or otherwise.
3) Since cellophane is plant based it is consumed by beetles just as readily as tobacco or paper.
4) Cellophane is permeable so it will allow flavored cigars to affect non flavored cigars. The only way to prevent this is to keep flavored cigars in a separate humidor.

broncobiker
09-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Im fighting so hard to keep these things drier. Its crazy humid here now. I mean humid. The box is hovering around 75 I threw salt and sponges in there to try and dry it a bit. The sticks are sitting in another box above salt. Its sooo humid. Its been fine all week up to yesterday really, the RH in the air was 65-72 Im just so scared im going to lose all of these.

Brad
09-28-2010, 07:31 PM
If you are really paranoid, put them in a tupperware container and put them in the fridge. The cold will suck out all the humidity.

broncobiker
09-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I threw them in. The salt in the box clumped up hardcore so Im assuming its just a lost cause. Ill let them be in there untl the box is under control and the humidty levels off.

broncobiker
09-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I wishhhhh I thought of that sooner it dropped it to 65!

bobarian
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
High humidity can lead to mold formation but in no way will ruin your cigars. Take your time in reducing your Rh. It may read 65 now, but they still may be higher inside(binder/filler) Take your time and everything will be fine. :2

broncobiker
09-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Theyre in the fridge now bringing it down. The box too, I need to lower that, thats all I have for storage is the box, its a makeshift hmidor

gijoey959
09-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I solved the makeshift humidor problem with the coolerdor. I didn't even have to buy a cooler, the neighbors were moving and put it on the curb, I swooped in, washed it out with hot water and bleach, got a few empty boxes from my B&M, a jar of humidity crystals and a walmart humidity gauge, it cost me about $20 total

It stays at 65% all the time and its at 65-75 degrees f at all times since its insulated tighten up the seal with duct tape though, works wonders

broncobiker
09-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Im just using a cigar box right now, but I have a humidity guage and I can use a moist sponge instead of crystals. I just piced a real humid weekend to start and it kinda messed the whole system up :( not to mention the glass inside the box knocked over so instead of sitting it inside I soaked the wood for 24 hours :(

hscmit
09-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Sounds like you might want to invest in a cooler or tub that you can control a little better. hope you can work it out and enjoy your sticks

x man
09-28-2010, 09:21 PM
U need a cigar geek to make a housecall
and see u thru this, it really isnt too bad.
Air the box out, the cigars will be fine after they stabilize
at 66 or so for a week or 2, depending how long
they were at the higher rh.

broncobiker
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
They were only up for probably 40 hours