PDA

View Full Version : If you were comishiner of the nfl..

loki
09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
what would you do about Braylon Edwards? This is, what, his second time getting picked up for a dui? I'm thinking 8-12 games sounds about right.

E.J.
09-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I am under the impression that it is his first DUI?

Not his first brush with the law, but first DUI.

I would guess he is looking at 4 games if he enters a plea of guilty or no contest.

Gophernut
09-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I am under the impression that it is his first DUI?

Not his first brush with the law, but first DUI.

I would guess he is looking at 4 games if he enters a plea of guilty or no contest.

:tpd: That sounds about right. Does this get him into the NFL Substance Abuse group? I wouldn't think so, but I really don't know.

Doctorossi
09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
This is a bit of a tough one for me because my inclination is to say, "Let the law deal with him as they deem appropriate." If those legal consequences cause him to miss a game or practice, etc., then we can talk about suspensions.

However, I'm well-aware that this is not the 'PR-savvy', 'family-friendly league' approach to the issue, so it's probably a very good thing that I'm only the assistant commissioner of the NFL. :D

Mikepd
09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not going to rule on Braylon alone but on any individual in the NFL. I believe if someone is in trouble with the law, no matter what the situation (besides something like a speeding ticket, lets be real here), they should be inactive until those legal issues are resolved. Hey I know that means like 1/3 of the NFL would be inactive then but it might make teams think a little more when they pick up a player who has legal history or might make the teams be a little more professional with their players.

Mugen910
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
I would be extremely strict with him and more than likely put them on suspension. Obviously he didn't learn. People forget that they get to that level & money on talent that was gifted to them with some hard work. Getting paid to play football is a huge opportunity and if they mess it up twice then so be it *poof* $$ and fame......GONE!

Personally I feel that any athlete or celebrity should have extra fines placed on them. They are in the spot light and need to conduct themselves better. You can't tell me he cannot afford to have someone drive him around. :2

09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm not going to rule on Braylon alone but on any individual in the NFL. I believe if someone is in trouble with the law, no matter what the situation (besides something like a speeding ticket, lets be real here), they should be inactive until those legal issues are resolved. Hey I know that means like 1/3 of the NFL would be inactive then but it might make teams think a little more when they pick up a player who has legal history or might make the teams be a little more professional with their players.

If they did this, then the team should be free of the cap hit should they decide to cut him. I'm sure the NFLPA would sign off on that :rolleyes:

jledou
09-27-2010, 01:04 PM
He will most likely get 4 games.

The sad thing is he doesn't start this last game but rather gets to come in and still play.

massphatness
09-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Let's remember he hasn't been convicted at this point.

jledou
09-27-2010, 01:51 PM
No he hasn't been convicted but this is pretty hard against him.

"A breath test showed Edwards had a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit after he was stopped on Manhattan's West Side around 5 a.m. Tuesday, prosecutors said. Chief police spokesman Paul Browne said officers on the lookout for such violations as overly tinted windows stopped Edwards because his Land Rover's windows were too dark and then noticed a strong smell of alcohol."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/21/jets.edwards.dui.ap/index.html#ixzz10lG31ySc

Mugen910
09-27-2010, 01:54 PM

My response was actually not specific to just him but to all athletes. They may not want to be role models but it's not their choice at that level of exposure.

Doctorossi
09-27-2010, 02:06 PM

This is a big part of why I'd be hesitant to take any of the consequences out of the hands of law enforcement.

Gophernut
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
This is a big part of why I'd be hesitant to take any of the consequences out of the hands of law enforcement.

Big Ben has never been convicted of anything either...

massphatness
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
No he hasn't been convicted but this is pretty hard against him.

"A breath test showed Edwards had a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit after he was stopped on Manhattan's West Side around 5 a.m. Tuesday, prosecutors said. Chief police spokesman Paul Browne said officers on the lookout for such violations as overly tinted windows stopped Edwards because his Land Rover's windows were too dark and then noticed a strong smell of alcohol."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/09/21/jets.edwards.dui.ap/index.html#ixzz10lG31ySc

No doubt, but there's a process the NFL follows, and until he's convicted of an offense, there's really nothing they can do. As I understand it, there are two possible scenarios:

1. He's proven guilty and this earns him automatic entrance into the league's substance abuse program. If this is first offense, there will be no suspension. Second offense, and he gets a 4-game ban. There's no wiggle room here as it's a collectively bargained procedure.

2. Charges are dropped or reduced. This where the commish has some flexibility because he can suspend Edwards for conduct detrimental to the league a la Rapist-berger.

The f'd up thing in all this is that Edwards makes out better (at least in terms of a suspension) if he's convicted.

jledou
09-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Either way if he is convicted or not everything should fall out after Holmes returns from his suspension and both would be back in time for the playoffs if the Jets are there.

loki
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM

other players have been suspended for not even being charged with anything...If the comish was so big on appearances then Edwards should be sitting for 6-8 games

jcruse64
09-27-2010, 08:40 PM
You can't tell me he cannot afford to have someone drive him around. :2

There's the real rub, for him and his teammates who were with him that morning. You're in NYC...you can't afford a cab?!?!?!? But here's the REAL rub; the Jets (as with many pro sports teams), through the Player Protect program, will supply their players a ride in situations like this, to avoid just what happened here, or worse.

I've done the same stupid thing in my past, and was lucky not to have hurt someone before I wised up. I hope he does the same before he hurts someone.

Wanger
09-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I would be extremely strict with him and more than likely put them on suspension. Obviously he didn't learn. People forget that they get to that level & money on talent that was gifted to them with some hard work. Getting paid to play football is a huge opportunity and if they mess it up twice then so be it *poof* $$ and fame......GONE!

Personally I feel that any athlete or celebrity should have extra fines placed on them. They are in the spot light and need to conduct themselves better. You can't tell me he cannot afford to have someone drive him around. :2

And if it's a particularily bad offense, then you don't get to come back after your one offense.

I am not particularly fond of felons making millions of dollars to play a sport
when you or I would be on food stamps if we did the same type of thing that they did.

I'll use this as an example...should I get caught using drugs or doing a partucilarly heinous or violent act, there is the VERY real possibility that I could not find employment in my current field any more (I'm a chemist at a pharmaceutical manufacturer). Say I got caught for theft or breaking and entering or something of that nature. What's the liklihood that I'd be hired by anyone in my filed with that on my record? Zero. ESPECIALLY if they deal with controlled substances at all.

It seems like professional athletes feel like playing their particular sport is a right, and not a priviledge. If you F up in that profession, you get a slap on the wrist...take a few games off and donate part of your "wealthy-level" income. If you or I F up in our professions, hello unemployment and food stamps. It is not an "average" job, but I think they deserve the same treatment that those of us "average joes" in "average jobs" get when we screw up in that manner.

Just my :2

massphatness
09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
No doubt, but there's a process the NFL follows, and until he's convicted of an offense, there's really nothing they can do. As I understand it, there are two possible scenarios:

1. He's proven guilty and this earns him automatic entrance into the league's substance abuse program. If this is first offense, there will be no suspension. Second offense, and he gets a 4-game ban. There's no wiggle room here as it's a collectively bargained procedure.

2. Charges are dropped or reduced. This where the commish has some flexibility because he can suspend Edwards for conduct detrimental to the league a la Rapist-berger.

The f'd up thing in all this is that Edwards makes out better (at least in terms of a suspension) if he's convicted.

other players have been suspended for not even being charged with anything...If the comish was so big on appearances then Edwards should be sitting for 6-8 games

That's kind of my point in the post above -- I don't believe the commissioner can do anything until the legal process runs its course because if he's convicted of the DUI he gains entry into the substance abuser program and earns a second chance of sorts. Doesn't seem "right", but that's what the CBA allows.