PDA

View Full Version : Arturo Fuente Anejo #77

Nickerson
09-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Cigar Name: Arturo Fuente, Anejo.
Cigar Size: #77, 5.8"54.
Wrapper Type: Maduro.

As promised, here is my take on the infamous Arturo Fuente Anejo, the dark cousin of the famous Arturo Fuente OpusX. I've only had one of these before, and from what I remember it was a damn good cigar. You'll be pretty hard pressed to find a review that says otherwise.

Construction: 10/10

Construction is perfect, as to be expected from an Arturo Fuente premium cigar. It feels very heavy in hand, solid with an dark oily Maduro wrapper. A thing of beauty.

Flavor: 22/25

This also has that unique flavor that is found in the OpusX. As I mentioned in my OpusX review its hard to put a finger on. Some describe it as raisin, some describe it as licorice, and latest I've heard some say molasses. Its very unique and gives the cigar a very distinct flavor. Its a light sweetness with a sort of floral/tangy flavor. As I said its complex.

The cigar starts off with a good bit of earth, leather and a bit of cocoa. The flavor of cocoa seems to dissipate after the first inch, as it becomes a bit more toasty and notes of Spanish Cedar give it a nice light sweetness. The flavors are most dominant during the final 2-3" of the cigar as it sends you off with a power packed finish.

Draw: 9/10

Excellent draw. At first it was a bit tighter than ideal for a couple reasons. First I didn't cut it far enough down, its a torpedo, so the cut wasn't big enough. Second it is a kind of large cigar with a unique pyramid shape. I cut it a bit larger after an inch and it became much easier.

Burn: 10/10

Perfect from start to finish. Not once did it become more than 1/4" uneven and it stayed lit light a champion.

Ash: 5/5

The hold is great, as expected. One thing I noticed is the core of the ash (near the center) was white. I don't mean very light gray, I mean it was as white as snow.

Smoke: 5/5

At first when the draw was a bit tight it wasn't making as much smoke, but I take into consideration I may have not cut it deep enough. After the re-cut it was perfect.

Impression: 32/35

An excellent cigar. When it comes to an Arturo Fuente premium cigar such as an Anejo, OpusX, Diamond Crown Maximus or whatever it may be, the expectations are always high. This cigar is about as good as it gets. I would say its the best cigar Arturo Fuente has to offer. I am a Maduro fan so it may have been why I prefer this over the OpusX. These also don't receive half the talk OpusX does, which is surprising.

Overall Rating: 93

Possibly the best cigar Arturo Fuente has to offer. It is a rare one though, as it only hits B&M shelves in the months leading to Christmas. Though you can get these year round in limited quantity from TampaSweethearts.

If you've yet to try one of these, do yourself a favor and give it a try. You wont be disappointed.

jeepthing
09-26-2010, 06:40 PM
One of my favorites. Have a couple of the 44's sitting the box

maverickdrinker
09-26-2010, 06:49 PM
really enjoy the anejo sharks with some age on them. Might have to break one out tomorrow to see how they are doing.

Thanks for the review.

Bubba - NJ
09-26-2010, 06:58 PM
One of my favorites. Have a couple of the 44's sitting the box

Do you mean 55's ? The #77 is a great cigar , even better with a couple years of rest on them . Last years release of the #50 was really good also .

jeepthing
09-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Do you mean 55's ? The #77 is a great cigar , even better with a couple years of rest on them . Last years release of the #50 was really good also .

Actually there the 46, Fat fingers. LOL

smelvis
09-26-2010, 08:26 PM
The Shark
I have almost two boxes and it took me a long time to get them, Now I am just smoking, Loving them and as usual looking for more LOL

Another Great review Cory!

Sauer Grapes
09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the review...

Also, FYI, in case you were thinking these were just a maduro Opus, the filler is actually a distinct blend. Although, it is rumored to contain a mix of Don Carlos, Opus and Hemingway fillers.

icehog3
09-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Always one of my favorite NC cigars, bold and tasty. :tu

warren G.
09-27-2010, 06:17 AM
Awesome review my man. I smoked an Anejo Shark yesterday. Nothing better then group of friends, chicken + wine/cheese, cake and a fine cigar while watching the game. I agree with the cut, I took another snip and boom it was drawing heavenly.

It was a sweet cigar, that's why I enjoy Anejo/Opus so much. This was before I had the cake and wine :D.

ucla695
09-27-2010, 06:56 AM
These are one of my favorites too! Especially with some age. :tu

Nickerson
09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the review...

Also, FYI, in case you were thinking these were just a maduro Opus, the filler is actually a distinct blend. Although, it is rumored to contain a mix of Don Carlos, Opus and Hemingway fillers.

You can definitely see the influence of the OpusX in the filler in my opinion. It has that unique smell and taste to it, though as you stated it is different.

I thought it was the Casa Fuente house blend in Vegas that had a combination of the Opus, Hemingway, and Don Carlos?

Who knows.

The Shark
I have almost two boxes and it took me a long time to get them, Now I am just smoking, Loving them and as usual looking for more LOL

Another Great review Cory!

I remember seeing the pics of your stash. You have enough cigars to last a life time for 20 people. Haha.