PDA

View Full Version : Advice on moving out...

itzfrank
09-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Ok. So it's come time to take the leap and move into a place of my own. Any advice that I should take into consideration from people doing it or have done it?:confused:

BigFrank
09-26-2010, 02:42 PM
We talking about moving out from the parents, or a girlfriend / wife? Two totally different ballgames.

MiamiE
09-26-2010, 02:48 PM
My advice is stay with mom and dad as long as you can. :r

MajorCaptSilly
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
If you can swing it, try to buy instead of rent. House purchases are still very low and you can get into a starter home for the same as or less than rent on many apartments. Many states have massive tax incentives, rebates, etc for first-time home buyers that make buying even more attractive. You will start building equity and improving your credit score right away as a homeowner.

MCS

14holestogie
09-26-2010, 03:02 PM
If you can swing it, try to buy instead of rent. House purchases are still very low and you can get into a starter home for the same as or less than rent on many apartments. Many states have massive tax incentives, rebates, etc for first-time home buyers that make buying even more attractive. You will start building equity and improving your credit score right away as a homeowner.

MCS

Good advice, but really....

a serious post from MCS? What's next? A Pelosi lap dance for Boehner? ;)
My brain is spinning.......:D

MiamiE
09-26-2010, 03:50 PM
If you don't have the credit and down payment, which a lot of Americans don't have nowadays, you can't buy.

Volt
09-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm with MCS. If the income and credit are good - coupled with firsttime buyers programs, now is the time. If you have to rent.

1. Consider a renting a house with an option to buy at some point if you can't buy.
2. If an aptment or condo renting. READ the WHOLE lease agreement. Several times. Take it home and study it with a cigar before signing. It is your friend or worst nightmare.
3. I found corner apartments usually better than having people on both sides.
4. Look at where you will park vrs where your door is.
5. I'd rather live in Newport News City campground in a pop up camper than ever share a wall with another renter.

floydpink
09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
my advice is to never burn the bridge back when moving out, or leaving a job for that matter.

oh heck, never burn bridges at all.

Once you decide you are ready to move, make sure you buy a nice suit, good power drill, shopvac, and George Foreman grill and you should be all set. all the other stuff is minor details.

chachee52
09-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Remember that you need extra money to furnish the place, buy food, buy cleaning supplies (optional in my opinion but the wife says we "need them"), and also pay utilities if they are not included in your rent.
So basically, find out what your top budget is, and try not to go that high!!!

Texan in Mexico
09-26-2010, 04:53 PM
my advice is to never burn the bridge back when moving out, or leaving a job for that matter.

Once you decide you are ready to move, make sure you buy a nice suit, good power drill, shopvac, and George Foreman grill and you should be all set. all the other stuff is minor details.

Very, very wise advice...
Posted via Mobile Device

MajorCaptSilly
09-26-2010, 05:06 PM

I've burned a few bridges. Then I grew up.

MCS

taltos
09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Never rent an apartment that is next to an elevator shaft or a trash chute. Being next to the back stairs can be noisy as well.

Texan in Mexico
09-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I've burned a few bridges. Then I grew up.

MCS

Me too, I never can go back to Madison County...
Posted via Mobile Device

kelmac07
09-26-2010, 06:07 PM
5. I'd rather live in Newport News City campground in a pop up camper than ever share a wall with another renter.

Love this!! Nothing beats having your own place!!

Best of luck in your search. Like Mike said, read that lease/contract before signing. Look at it a few times, once in the evening and once in daylight hours. High traffic area? Airport or train tracks near? Decent neighborhood? Nothing like moving in to find out your neighbor is Bobo the crack dealer.

688sonarmen
09-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Love this!! Nothing beats having your own place!!

Best of luck in your search. Like Mike said, read that lease/contract before signing. Look at it a few times, once in the evening and once in daylight hours. High traffic area? Airport or train tracks near? Decent neighborhood? Nothing like moving in to find out your neighbor is Bobo the crack dealer.

You act like you know an area like that:r

floydpink
09-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have the same problem with the River Kwai.

Also with the overzealous Pleasure Police in full force these days, I would have a look at the lease for any smoke free clauses and the pool for an abundance of hot chicks if you live in the warmer climates like Miami with extra points for latin ones in bikinis.

Coach Deg
09-26-2010, 06:29 PM
A lot of good advice!!! If leaving your parents place only leave if you saved enough to buy. If you haven't saved enough for a down payment remember rent, Elec, water, trash, cable....... All adds up quick! I wish you the best! Good-luck!!!!

itzfrank
09-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys. It's actually a combo deal.. out from parents and in with gf xD

holli4pirating
09-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I hear when you move in with a girl, you don't get to take any of your stuff with you. In case you do, my best advice is to unpack everything as fast as you can (or else you never will), and be prepared to rearrange stuff as you try to figure out what works best in your new place and what your new routines are.

itzfrank
09-27-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't have much stuff to begin with and most of my stuff is the furniture that we'll be using. I'm excited to make the move but it's quite overwhelming being that I've never had to worry about making a rent payment before.

I think I'm drastically over thinking things. I'll have to roll it around tonight while smoking a SigII

landhoney
09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

:r:tu Nice

MiamiE
09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Smoke that Siglo II and reassess the situation. :)

itzfrank
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Oh I'm planning on it. It's going to be nice to be on my own and being able to smoke when I get off work. I know it sounds "young" but I don't like my parents seeing my vices. lol.

Ranger_B
09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Get a list of all your expenses and when they are due. Then start putting away as much as you can so you have at least 3 months of that. Keep your credit as best you can so that you can move on to buying as soon as it is feasible. If you are renting make sure you do a good walk through with your landlord and take pictures and mark all damages with the landlord the same day. Most of all find your little spot to get away from it all and enjoy a good smoke. Best of luck to you.