PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Torano Virtuoso

Nickerson
09-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Cigar Name: Carlos Torano, Virtuoso.
Cigar Size: Encore 4.7"x52.
Wrapper Type: Maduro.

Well last week I went a we-bit overboard. I smoked 5 cigars in one week. Most I have ever done. This week I promised myself I wouldn't have more than 2 cigars, as 2-3 is my normal. Decided to make the most of it and enjoy a real fine cigar. We had a fire with our neighbors and we just sat around it smoking our cigars and drinking our beers (root beer for me!).

This cigar was gifted to me by Criminal over a year ago. From what he told me, it was from the original release of the cigar and had already been aged for about 3 years. So I got to figure this cigar has at least 4-5 years on it. Its a beautiful cigar, I've been looking forward to this for quite some time.

Construction: 10/10

Perfect. Very nice Maduro wrapper, no cracks veins or flaws other than a small sun spot the size of a toothpick. Just gives it character in my opinion! The cigar is very solid and heavy in hand.

Flavor: 20/25

From what I recall on my first one of these, they were some what similar to a CAO Brazilia. Which is funny because they are actually made in the same factory. It's medium-full in flavor, primary flavor are woody tones, light cedar, a bit of leather and cocoa. Had just a touch of earthiness to it as well. I really enjoyed the flavor.

Draw: 9/10

Exceptional draw. Almost perfect but it would take a couple draws for it to get smoke. I normally do a quick draw to re-ignite, a short draw to bring smoke through the cigar, and then a full draw to take in the smoke.

Burn: 9/10

As close to perfect as it can be. Never got more than a quarter inch uneven from side to side.

Ash: 5/5

Was dark so I couldn't quite see the color of the ash, but it held initially for over 2" before I manually ashed it into the fire pit.

Smoke: 5/5

Once I was able to draw some smoke after a couple draws it was exceptional. A LOT of smoke. My neighbor always hates my stinky cigar smoke and it was blowing in his direction, he changed seats before long. Sorry Theo!

Impression: 31/35

Simply put, this cigar was just great. It really is an under appreciated cigar. $4.00 a stick and available in a great selection of sizes. Every aspect about this cigar was simply fantastic. Near perfect burn and draw, amazing construction, great flavor and a very budget friendly price.

Overall Rating: 89

If your a Maduro fan or a enjoy the CAO Brazilia and Italia, I would suggest giving this fuller-bodied maduro a try as well. From what I read they are manufactured in the same facility. It definitely has some characteristics of the CAO Brazilia, which is one of my all time favorites.

CRIMPS
09-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Wow, great review. I have had the Exodus 1959 before, but never tried a Virtuoso. I will have to give it a try.

kelmac07
09-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Nice review...big fan of these as well!! :tu

SmoknTaz
09-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice review Cory, good to have you here buddy.

smelvis
09-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Good review Cory
This is one of my go to smokes at least weekly.

Dave

longknocker
09-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Great Review!:tu

GHC_Hambone
09-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Nice review! I have to agree, they are great cigars.

Nickerson
09-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys.

Trying to find a good Torano sampler. He has quite a few great looking Maduro's.

Carlos Torano Virtuoso
Carlos Torano Signature Selection
Carlos Torano Exodus Gold 1959
Carlos Torano Exodus 50 Years
Casa Torano Maduro

Those exodus 50 years look soooo goood. Serious Cigars has them in stock with free shipping on boxes. Wish I had the $.

http://www.seriouscigars.com/Carlos-Torano_Cigars_4650_details

rizzle
09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
The Virtuoso is a "weird" cigar for me. First couple of the 5'er I had were not bad but didn't leave me yearning for more so I left the rest alone for over a year. Pulled one out on a whim one night and it was a totally different cigar with a taste that, for me, is very hard to describe. So my verdict would seem to match yours, age does wonders for this cigar.

Thanks for the review.

biggbob
10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I got a box of these(pyramides) and the first few were marginal. After 6ish+ months of being parked in the humi they were exceptional and beyond. I was so happy that i bought a few 5-packs more! The new batch was marginal again. **sigh** and not they are parked for a few months to age.

Yes age does wonders for this vitola.

NCRadioMan
10-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Just to make a correction, these have dark sungrown wrappers. They are not maduro.

dannysguitar
10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Nice review. I like these as well!

Ferrari5180
10-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I got myself a nice 5er of the Virtuoso Forte on special for 20$. I have them in the freezer right now, clearing them of theoretical unwanted beetles. I will let them sit for a while and smoke them, I hope they are as good as you mention (and others as well). Anyways, thanks for the review mate.

sikk50
10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
At 4-5 years it was past its aging potential according to something I read somewhere....

:r

rizzle
10-04-2010, 08:21 PM
:D