11-08-2008, 07:51 AM
*imported from somewhere else*

Yesterday my cousin I were chillin and he ses "Lets go smoke a cigar!"
I was like "Hell yeah!"
I then asked "what decade?"
he ses "are u serious?"
I say "YuP!
he then asks "WHO DID THIS TO YOU?"

So my question to you guys: Who Pushed You Down the Slope? dosent matter which slope im just curious whos generosity was it. As for me it was Poker who gave me my first Davidoff and Club Epicure (yes my pallet wasnt ready for it). Goatlocker gave me my first sources... Cigarflip showed me the 98s and from there 90s to the 80s and the 70s; yes i know im doomed...

md4958
11-08-2008, 07:55 AM
to sum it up... the Massholes. And they are helping me slide faster and deeper than I ever thought possible.

Bastages! I love you guys.

elderboy02
11-08-2008, 07:58 AM
My brothers friend gave me a Swisher Sweet for my first cigar but I didn't like it. So I went into the humidor section on AR15.com and read different threads for a while. My first cigar was a Macanudo which I didn't care for.

So, I posted a thread asking what the Macanudo should taste like.... they all said it tasted like nothing :r Some guy saw that I was NRA life member and he said "Send me your address, I'll put together a little package for you."

And that is where my downhill slide began....

BagfullofPings
11-08-2008, 08:01 AM
I walked to the edge of the mountain...Then I jumped. I guess that makes me brave or very stupid. I've met a few friends while tumbling down the mountain.

av8tor152d
11-08-2008, 08:05 AM
I had been on the edge of the slope looking down Then Tobii came running up behind me and shoved me over the edge.

ahc4353
11-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Well I'm not a decade man yet but I am now fully on the dark side of the slope due to many here.

First off it was the board it's self. I found this place because I was looking to buy a few good cigars and VOLT would not allow that. But that's another story for another thread.

Raisin gave me my first ever CC bomb. Various smokes from various years.

Chibnkr has forever ruined me with a taste of Partagas from the 70's.

Silverfox has most definitely thrown me the furthest and fastest down the slope more than any other. The man has gifted me cigars that I would have otherwise never had. Thank you does does not do it justice.

Many others have gifted me many others and I truly thank you however the men above have had the BIGGEST impact.

One last thought. The "friend slope" here has really made the biggest impact in my life. If I could never have another cigar that would be OK because I still have this place and the people in it.

Thank you all for being you.

doblemaduro
11-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Who hasn't pushed me down that slippery slope! I think I need new acquaintances, but then what fun would that be?

Gargoyle
11-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I got intersted in the dark side after being in a number of trades and PIFs... but I was launched down the slope for good after Stig's herf earlier this summer... they killed me!

Stig, pnoon, Malik23, Newcigarz, ResIpsa, Ghostrider, Opusex, Sancho, TMoneyNYY

G G
11-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Aint quite on it yet, but thanks to Andrew (DPD6030) I am closer.

Don Fernando
11-08-2008, 09:03 AM
I pushed myself down the slope, but I got some help from SmokeyNL and some of the guys here.

tobii3
11-08-2008, 09:19 AM
I had been on the edge of the slope looking down Then Tobii came running up behind me and shoved me over the edge.

Say what???

I was happily enjoying my day on the slope, blowing smoke rings, when an out of control pilot, screaming at the top of his lungs, plowed into me, knocked my cigar out of my hand, broke my walker, shattered my dentures, fractured my hip, then drug my lifeless body down the hill with him!!!!

...Then Tobii came running...

Yeah, the $600 man "running".....about as fast as molasses in the dead of winter......

Sancho
11-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Ahh, my pushers toward me demise would be the_dakotan, the professor, Mark_THS, Chip, icehog3... all contributors to my current state of despair :ss

ucla695
11-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I kinda pushed myself down the slope. When I first started smoking, I really didn't know very many people who smoked cigars, so it was a solo venture. After I joined some forums, the more I learned, the more I wanted to smoke. Now, I've turned a lot of my friends on to them, but they're not on the slope yet. I still bring extras for them when we hangout, but they've exposed me to the slippery slope of wine. :)

DBall
11-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Justinphilly launched me down the slope headlong... it was crazy, really.

NCRadioMan
11-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Klugs and poker

Thank you very much you bastids! :D

dannyboy
11-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, the first CCs I got were from ninjavanish and JustinPhilly, they were great, but I think that the collective discussion of cigars on here is what has done me in the most. I cannot log on without hearing about a cigar I need to try. I also have a friend here who is not on the board, but is giving me a big shove down the darkside!

Darrell
11-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Nobody pushed me down the NC, slope. I found that on my own.

As far as Cubans go, Ji sent me CC's on you know where and I enjoyed them. It had been 7 years since I had a CC -- but, it was ultimately Bobarian, my good friend who shoved me down the slope and hard.

shilala
11-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I kinda found the slope myself, walked up to the edge, looked over, tripped, and on the way down a couple hundred guys jumped on causing my speed to increase exponentially.
I'm teetering on the edge of the herf slope now. It's gonna be a hell of a ride. :)

shemp
11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Slope...what slope...i don't see any sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope My college buddies, and my good friend at church.

Mugen910
11-10-2008, 10:45 AM
1) My gf gave ma a davidoff and I loved it.
2) Massphatness, Dball, Stearns killed me at my first herf and I started picking up speed
3) Stickam crew from "The other" site
4) Massholes
5) every single one of you fookers (Especially Don Fernando) that have ever traded/bombed me.

The Dakotan
11-10-2008, 10:47 AM
It was a group effort. The most important person was The Professor due to his constant shoves in that general direction. Shortly before I joined that other site, we were drinking and smoking on my deck. He hands me a 98 RS12 and says, what do you think? Yeah, shortly after I joined CS, only to be shoved very hard down the slope by other people. First old cigars: icehog3 gave me a 70s Party 898UV and zemekone gave me an 85 RyJ Churchill. After smoking those last two I didn't so much slide as free fall.

petewho
11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
It took a few folks to get me on the slope. In this order:

Dad - Dad's been a cigar smoker since I was a kid. He started gifting me the occasional stick ever since I turned 18.
Friends/neighbors - Talking cigars a little with these folks, and having the occasional stick with them. Then I took the plunge and walked into a B&M...
Mikey Burr - Didn't even know he was a gorilla. He worked in the B&M I walked into and he asked me, "how can I help you?". He set me up with my first purchase and steered me in the right direction.
NCRadioMan - I found CS, posted a little, and he sent me a PM asking for my address :ss
Darrell - Found we live in the same hood. Invited me to my first herf, has gifted/bombed me 30+ sticks, gave me a 100 stick humi, gave me a briar pipe :hn

I have no hope of ever recovering now. I have a cooler, I'm ordering beads for it next week along with my first ever box purchase. I've got one foot on the pipe slope too.

There's a black hole at the bottom of this slope, I tell ya.

Scottw
11-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I pushed myself down the slope, but I got some help from SmokeyNL and some of the guys here.

:tpd: but Bao has helped me a little bit as well.

auburnfan1980
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
After several years of smoking convenience store-grade favorites such as flavoried Phillies, Black-n-Mild, etc....it hit me in 2005 in Rome, while standing in front of the Colosseium at the Roman Forum and enjoying my first real cigar...a Monty #2 that nearly knocked me on my ass on a warm sunny day. It was at that moment I felt the call...and it was good. :ss

mikeyj23
11-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Pistol let me smoke my first.
Erratum gave me my first.
Major slope pushers have been Blueface and Croatan with some help from TTours, BeagleOne, rack04 and newcigarz.

SmokeyJoe
11-10-2008, 02:14 PM
BudPrince is the man responsible for my outlaw ways. Beware! :D

The Professor
11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
So my question to you guys: Who Pushed You Down the Slope?

Well :hm ... it was largely YOU, focker. :cb :r

j6ppc, madurofan, and hollywood all got me my toboggan. :D

JoeD gave me an 80s RyJ Corona that changed my life (seriously).

chibnkr taught me some important lessons about vintage pedestrians. :fl

icehog3 got me to appreciate bigger smokes. :ss

Da Klugs taught me that it's okay to covet :pn

allanb ... well ... um ... he "taught me a lesson" or two. :dance:

I SALUTE YOU ALL! :salute:

stearns
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
my father gave me the savoy kit including a flask, 3 finger case, and a cutter for christmas last year. the-finger had two AF hemingways in it. i bought my first 20ct humi later that night, and all has gone to sell since

oh ya, those damn massholes, especially the one referred to as "vin"

stearns

TripleF
11-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Almost 2 years ago to the date Iwas in CT, visiting family and I rambled offf to go smallmouth fishing on Squantz Pond.

Upon my arrival I caught wiff of a gentleman's cigar from abot 50 yards away. As I approached him, on the way to my honey-hole, I commented how I like the smell.

For the next 15 minutes he taught me everything he could and used every cigar term in the world (of which I knew nothing) and then at the end of his heartfelt sharing he gave me a cigar he had saved for the past 7 or so years, or however long it was. Either way, it was tasty!!

I 'll never forget that coincidental meeting. It opened the world of cigars up to me.

Thank you sir. I hope to honor your selfless efforts that day by paying it forward many times over in the years to come!!

-

sofaman
11-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Smokinj pushed me over the slope and now Shilala jumped on the sled and its picking up speed fast:r:r:r

spectrrr
11-11-2008, 11:51 PM
first cigar: shared a CC RyJ with my best friend on his wedding day (friend didnt normally smoke, but his dad brought them).

First part of the slide I did to myself. My dad smoked 10 years ago. Found my dad's old humi, forgotten and dried up. salvaged some sticks, gave/threw away the rest. Figured I would give it a try.

Found CBID, started buying a few singles here and there to try while replenishing the humidor.

I didnt really know anyone else that smoked cigars... and then I found you guys a few months ago... and it all went downhill from there... WAY downhill!

Herfed at Vin's last month. Didn't have a clue as to the kind of people I was messing with. I was truly humbled by the guys who would walk up to a guy they didnt even know and hand him good cigar. You guys set a great example that I hope to follow in giving back.

Bombed by vin a few weeks later.

so I'd say Vin, the massholes, and every other bastage on this site are responsibile!

icantbejon
11-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I started my slide as a solo adventure. I was offered a black & mild in Iraq toward the end of 2004 and I smoked it. Found I enjoyed smoking, which was news to me cause I was very against anything tobacco at that time. So anyway, I went home and tried a few real cigars purchased up in Canada and I liked them even more. I tried an Onyx Reserve and I was hooked. I tried a few random sticks over the next year. Then my brother bought me (no laughing please) a Thompson's Cigars sampler. I smoked them all and loved every minute of it. I still had no idea about what it takes to actually take care of cigars and how deep the hobby goes. I stayed on my own with the smoking for a while, with the occasional buddy popping in for a smoke, JohnnyKay5 probably being the most frequent. He was just as stupid as me at the time though. Then I came to back to Iraq (where this whole saga begins) and John had linked in with tobii at their FOB in Iraq. Tobii introduced John to CS, John introduced me to CS, and then my slip down the slope began in earnest. Guys like tobii, Don F, Smokey, JohnnyKay5, Conch Republic, etc have really helped open my eyes to just how good (and freaken expensive) cigars can be.

Bax
11-12-2008, 03:05 AM
My father gave me the first nudge then the final kick in the arse was my work. I work with cigarette and tobacco vendors and started learning about the products... then off it went.

Skywalker
11-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Four main culprits:
1. Bobarian - 48 Qt. Cooler/Digital Hydrometer/countless cigars including the darkside
2. My wife (cigarwife) - first desktop/countless cigars/pushing everyday
3. Ratters - herfing opportunities/countless cigars/Camacho pusher
4. Tzaddi - countless cigars/cultivation of leaves

And the rest of the BABOTL and every last one of you people!!!:D

Smokin Gator
11-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Well, I guess in a way it was my wife. She bought me a sampler from CI a few years ago. I enjoyed them and once I quit smoking cigarettes I started having one or so a month. Then CoroHo introduced me to CB... the pace of slippage increased. Then I found CS and read LasciviousXXX's Habanos for Beginners. Since then, the scenery going by is just a blur!!!

Jbailey
01-06-2009, 07:10 AM
For NC's it would have been my older brother.

For CC's it would have been some very generous BOTL's at MMHI at a PPP. Got a chnace to taste some amazing smokes and really see what aging can do to a cigar.

Da Klugs
01-06-2009, 07:47 AM
MoTheMan nuked me out of the blue with a broad spectrum 20 cigar 10 brand attack and it was all over. Shock and awe. There was no slope just freefall. Fell with the 05 pledge class and there was much fun along the decent with a few FOG's chiming it to stab the wounded along the way.

Hardcz
01-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Well lets see...

Shaggy and Old Sailor hit me with my first few cc's and some good ones at that. Then Ssutton started pushing me with some late 90's early 00's sticks. Then a cigar newb I went to the shack. There are so many people who taught me so many things. macms, ncradioman, and one lonely smoker showed me where to find cigars along with showing me what this whole thing is really about. Jbaily, the SC crew, they all brought variety to my pallate, pnoon showed me that there could be very mellow and complex smokes. Icehog taught me about depth and flavors I'll probably never experience again, Da Klugs shared what old and truely unique cigars could be.

Drat
01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm still sitting in my lounge chair on the edge, with an empty pocketbook in hand...

zmancbr
01-06-2009, 10:03 AM
That is easy for me to describe who pushed me down the slope...My good friend Ray (spect) talked me into smoking cigars with him and then when I was just innocently looking over the cliff he pushed... but I got the last laugh since I grabbed him and took him down with me lol...

Then we both found the land of CCs together thanks to the FRHs and it was all over from there!

Now I don't fight it anymore lol... I just give in and buy all the wonderful smokes I want! :D

karmaz00
01-06-2009, 10:47 AM
about 5 years ago my first trip to cuba.....be downhill ever since

shilala
01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Probably dball. Dan sent me some goofy stuff last year that I'd have never smoked in a gazillion years and I liked a couple of the cigars so much that I thought "Man, there's gotta be lots of really good stuff out there."
From there, ZOOOOOOM!!!

Snake Hips
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Some old member from CS named Pete gave me this beastly deal on a sh**load of cigars, and I can't thank him enough, because in the package was about one of the best cigars in my life (AUG06 Romeo y Julieta Churchill T/A). Then I was hopeless.

Then later on came Kevin (audio1der) who sent me a package of various Cubans for a "taster" of sorts and gave me my first sources, then I was really hosed.

Those two fellas were the chauffers of my downfall.

DBall
01-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Justinphilly launched me down the slope headlong... it was crazy, really.

I should amend this. Justinphilly threw me mercilessly down the dark side slope... the regular slope though was all Rick (Hurricane6). He's a hell of a guy, too.

Made in Dade
01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
My grandfather introduced me to Padron cigars. As far as CC Blueface, ATLHARP, and Ron1YY led me down the dangerous path.

smitdavi
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Grandfather introduced me to NC's...bought my first box as soon as I turned 18

The Dakotan, Jeff really introduced me and got me started on the CC side

groogs
01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Nobody pushed me down the NC slope. I though cigars would be something different to try and I started sampling different sticks. Bobarian was the man who pushed me down the CC slope. He gave me my first CC at my first herf at Ratters house and he has been shoving me ever since. I owe Bob big time for showing me the way to the Dark Side.

BHowe
01-06-2009, 10:33 PM
So I don't think I've really started slipping to bad yet. It all started with a couple buddies that just smoked em while around me in some of our racing activities. Was a little interested and walked into a B&M. Been buying and trying NC's like crazy since.

SteveDMatt, hooked me up when I asked for someone to build a sampler for me. He went way above and beyond and included a couple dark side sticks that I'm looking forward to trying.

Taboo, has also helped me start to slide with all of their great deals and most recently their free sampler.

I've managed to fly under the radar for awhile...............

Agent11br
01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
My dad and the Macanudos he'd bring when he visited me in college got me kick started. Everything just started to get slippery from there on.

KidRock is the one though that has started me down the REAL slippery slope of the goodies from the Island :)

688sonarmen
09-11-2010, 05:01 PM
So I'm smoking a CAO MX2 right now and I think it is one of the worst cigars I have ever had. Very mild and what taste I do have is that of burnt paper and maybe a little sweet wood. The problem is 5 years ago I dreamed of having a box of them, and 4 years ago I finally got one. I loved this cigar so much that I would only smoke them for a semi special occasion (when I could really devote attention to it) Flash foward to today. Well Im on shore duty after 9 straight years out to sea and have recently in the last year started to treat myself to preimum cigars, Tat's, Padron aniv, DPG'S, Illusiones ect. In the past I thought it was all just BS and some of you guys were buying into the hype of a 10$ + cigar. Well look at me now either my palate has devolved into more or because of these other smokes I no longer find my MX2's, Peromodo's, Don Lino Africas, Cusanos ect's worth smoking any more. What the hell happened? I felt I was getting ripped off if I spent more than 100$ on a box of 25 and now I am getting Liga's in the mail. On top of that my coolidors don't cut it anymore so Im moving up to a large cabinet. Yes, what a slippery slope it is

bigdix
09-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Had my first cigar about 4 years ago, thanks to a good buddy of mine....then I just sort of "occasionally" smoked b/c I didn't really know anyone else who did. Then bigliver and I rolled into a B&M in Omaha and I smoked a few on his reccomendation, and picked up the one that got me started....a VSG. I guess from there I just realized I can enjoy a cigar all by my lonesome, anytime, anywere. But the slope?? I guess I blame all of YOU! I did the CC thing to myself, though, that was all me. :D

whodeeni
09-12-2010, 09:03 AM
As you can tell from some of my recent sales, i've fallen over
and died a couple of times when it comes to NC's... that started
that fateful day of 5/31/09 when my friend (who only smokes CCs
btw) gave a strong Nicaraguan Puro... Me with my OCD, i started
buying a bunch of bull from CI not knowing anybetter and last fall
started tinkering around the forums... Well last Nov or Dec i joined
here and starting honing my sights on Premium NC's.... and that was
all she wrote! I'm a roving maniac when it comes to cigars...

Now CC's on the other hand, thats a slope that I have yet to fall down,
but i've really reached a point of "consternation" because I have serious
issues with the "affordability" of what seems like great "fresh" isoms
(price and reputation wise") and the flux of all of these high priced
NC's and NC LE's that come out all the damn time! I guess i've been
a little scared to become a renegade in one sense, but the reality
im getting closer and closer but first i have to figure out what i like.

I've been gifted some CC's by some gracious brothers and even
traded for a handful.. but i have yet to start sliding... Maybe
after i figure out what i like, and learn some of the reliable sources i will...

and i'll start just buying 5ers of the LE NC's like a handful of you "Habanophile's" Do!:tu