PDA

View Full Version : Scotch's that wont break the bank

dwoodward
09-22-2010, 06:29 PM
I have never really had a good scotch before. Nothing that stood out and made me want to actually drink scotch. I love liquors such as bourbon and tequila and I find that my tastes are rather expensive. Luckily for bourbon and tequila, expensive tastes is only 30-40 dollars a bottle.

Last night at the liquor store, I had no intention of buying, I went in for a 6 pack of beer while the girlfriend went shopping. While browsing I stumbled across the scotch isle. I was looking, almost everything on the top shelf was 100 dollars or more.

I decided because I have never tried a scotch that was anything above bottom of the barrel I purchased a middleshelf bottle of Chivas Regal - 12 Years. I took it home and tonight I am sipping at it in my rocks glass over a few ice cubes. It is fantastic. Decent priced at 25 dollars a bottle. I am actually interested in trying a few other scotch's now.

I am looking for recommendations, looking for bottles that can be had in the 20-40 dollar range.

ninjavanish
09-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Maclelland's... It's single malt... It's like 12 years old... It's usually about $25 for a 750ml bottle... And it's suprisingly good! Find it at almost any liqour store.

Lumpold
09-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Ardbeg 10 y.o. would be my (current) recommendation.

Also, for a blended whisky, I don't know the US price, but it's about £30/bottle here, Johnnie Walker Green Label is pretty good!

pnoon
09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Ardbeg 10 y.o. would be my (current) recommendation.

Also, for a blended whisky, I don't know the US price, but it's about £30/bottle here, Johnnie Walker Green Label is pretty good!

While I like the Ardbeg, I think it is a bit peaty for someone new to scotch.

My suggestions would be The Glenlivet 12 year or Glenmorangie.

Lumpold
09-22-2010, 07:00 PM
While I like the Ardbeg, I think it is a bit peaty for someone new to scotch.

My suggestions would be The Glenlivet 12 year or Glenmorangie.

While I agree it is heavy on the peat, I just got a friend of mine in to scotch (from bourbon) with this... then again, he is a bit of a monster.

[edit: we also drink a lot of herby-medicene like drinks together - jager, chatreuse, fennel liqour, so in retrospect, he was probably always going to like the Ardbeg]

hammondc
09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Balvenie Doublewood.

Doctorossi
09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
The Glenlivet 12

:tpd: Other excellent lower-priced mainstream-palate-friendly malts I'd recommend would be Cragganmore 12, Highland Park 12 and Bunnahabhain 12. These are all whiskies that, if you develop as most malt nerds do, you will never lose interest in (outgrow). They can all be had for +/- $40 each.

RevSmoke
09-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Balvenie Doublewood.

:tpd:

Very nice Single that won't break the bank.

BigCat
09-23-2010, 06:08 AM
Nice suggestions here. On the single malt side, I'd also suggest Glenfiddich, which is usually priced the same as the Glenlivit. For a blend, Dewars 12 yr and JW Black label are decent.

ChicagoWhiteSox
09-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Macallan 12 year old sherry cask. Not very far out of your budget, and really a great scotch.

Bill86
09-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Macallan 12 is a good $55-$60 a bottle, but it is worth it. I'd save some $$$ and go for it.

Glenlivet or Glenfiddich are in the $35 range.

LostAbbott
09-27-2010, 12:03 AM
How far from Canada are you? I know here on the west coast you can get really good deals at the duty free. I am not sure how long of a drive it would be for you through ND, but if you can make the trip, you can pick up a few liters for around $30-$45 of really top shelf stuff.

You have two options to start with and a third if you start to really get into scotch.

Blended(a mix of different single malts typically from all over Scotland, they do this to maintain a uniform flavor profile across multiple bottlings)

This produced a very uniform product that will always taste the same year to year. Chivas and JW are your best bet here. JW Green use to be a single malt and I think it still is.

Single malt (this is a blend of barrels with the oldest being on the lable but some of the whisky could be much younger, again this is done to maintain flavor)

single malt tends to be much more complex and display the flavor from where it is from.

i love the Islay malts, If you want to try there start with Lagavulin.

I would say the best starter scotch is Dalwhinnie, it has a great peat flavor that is mild but still there and has much more complex flavors in there as well.

As you get into it you can start to collect bottles just like you collect cigars. Also you can explore your third option which are barrel or cask bottling's, these are one barrel put straight to the bottle. They are all very different from barrel to barrel and you can get thousands of different barrels from one distillery. It is a lot of fun, enjoy.

Starscream
09-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Maclelland's... It's single malt... It's like 12 years old... It's usually about $25 for a 750ml bottle... And it's suprisingly good! Find it at almost any liqour store.

That's more like my price range. I'll have to pick up a bottle of that next time I'm out. Thanks!:tu

JohnnyFlake
09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
For about $30 you can get Johnnie Walker Black, and outstanding blend! Others in that range that are very good as well:

Dewers
Glenlivet 12 Y.O.
Teacher's Cream
Famous Grouse 12 Y.O.

Bunker
09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Don't know if you can find it in your area but Old Putney is a wonderful single malt, but you really can't go wrong with JW Black.

However, for the price of cheap Scotch you can get great Bourbon and Rye these days so I tend to stick to Jack D and Crown Royal

Doctorossi
09-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I love a good Bourbon and, especially, a good Rye, but I'll take mid-shelf Scotch over top-shelf Bourbon or Rye, 9 times out of 10.

Can't really go wrong either way, though. :D

CBI_2
09-27-2010, 09:09 PM
A lot of great suggestions although IMHO an Islay may be a bit of a strong flavor profile for a single malt newbie.

The Maclelland's, from all four regions, are nice, inexpensive places to start and experiment with learning about how different single malts are from each region. Glen Moray is a very nice inexpensive 12 year old Speyside single malt.

Another nice blend is Grant's Family Reserve. Very reasonably priced. It is blended, in part, from Glenfiddich and Balvenie single malts.

Price is very much dependent on where you live. I can get Maclelland's 1.75 Liter where I work with no employee discount for $29.99, The Glen Moray 12 year old 750 ml. for $19.99 and the Grant's 1.75L for $21.99.

Just remember, part of the fun is experimenting and finding what you like.

cricky101
09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
I was well-served by my first bottle of Highland Park 12. I think it was about $40.

Lobo
09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
If you like sweet you might try Auchentoshen single lowland malt classic. Very inexpensive. Tastes great, around 25 bucks depending on where you live. Been a favorite for a few years price not withstanding.

TXSmokey
09-05-2014, 12:28 PM
as far as single malts, my liquor store only has glenlivet, glenfiddich, and highland park. prices start at $53 and up

Steve
09-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Y'all are making me thirsty!

JohnnyFlake
09-05-2014, 02:19 PM
as far as single malts, my liquor store only has glenlivet, glenfiddich, and highland park. prices start at $53 and up

IMHO, single malts are very, very, much overrated!

Blends are much less expensive for the most part and much more complex in flavor!

Hell, JW Black, a very reasonably priced blend is far more complex and most single malt. It is what many, many, hard core scotch drinkers favor.

Willygt
09-16-2014, 03:19 PM
I got a Glenlivet 12 year based on Pnoon's recommendation, and it is very good!
It was barely $30, really good.

jhedrick83
09-16-2014, 03:24 PM

Blends are much less expensive for the most part and much more complex in flavor!

Hell, JW Black, a very reasonably priced blend is far more complex and most single malt. It is what many, many, hard core scotch drinkers favor.

I love me some Johnny Black! If you live near a Total Wine and Spirits their price is unbeatable to me!

Ncpsycho
09-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Deff Aberfeldy --- $35 a bottle and awesome -- also Glenmorangie really smooth and not expensive

kugie
09-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Glenmorangie 10 or 18

Porch Dweller
09-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Lots of mentions of JW Black. They've got a new one, Johnnie Walker Double Black, that is available for around $33 is worth it.

I'm the one guy in the room that doesn't like Macallan. I've tried a few of them and just don't care for them.

So, $20-$40 range:
JW Black & Double Black
Glenfiddich
Glenlivet 12
Singleton
Dewar's 12
Glenmorangie 10
Speyburn 10
McClelland Speyside
Auchentoshen

jhedrick83
09-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Lots of mentions of JW Black. They've got a new one, Johnnie Walker Double Black, that is available for around $33 is worth it.

What is the difference is taste/process?

JohnnyFlake
09-27-2014, 12:23 PM
I have not seen the Johnnie Walker Double Black yet, however, as soon as I do I will be trying a bottle.

A best buy out there is Teacher's. A very nice smooth blend for very cheap $

Porch Dweller
09-27-2014, 01:26 PM
What is the difference is taste/process?

To me it's got a touch of spice and some smokiness that the Black doesn't have. If you enjoy Black I recommend giving the Double Black a try.

jhedrick83
09-27-2014, 01:33 PM
To me it's got a touch of spice and some smokiness that the Black doesn't have. If you enjoy Black I recommend giving the Double Black a try.

Thanks. :tu

hammondc
09-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Monkey Shoulder

JohnnyFlake
09-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Monkey Shoulder

Never Heard of it!

Where is it made?

WaRevo
09-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Love to make Brass Monkey with Monkey Shoulder. Not bad And Apes and Apples :)

James

kansashat
02-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Lately, I've become very fond of Irish single malts. Try Tyrconnell single malt Irish at about $35/750ml. Bushmill's 10yr single malt is also very nice at a few dollars more a bottle.

nutcracker
02-09-2015, 04:48 AM
Never Heard of it!

Where is it made?

It's a Scotch blend. Rather good actually.

BTW - The name of the whiskey refers to a strain injury distillery workers would get from shovelling barley. Eventually their shoulders would hang because they had torn all their cuff muscles.

Taki
02-09-2015, 05:44 AM
Balvenie Doublewood.

couldn't agree more! :tu

nutcracker
02-09-2015, 06:23 AM
“There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others." William Faulkner.

(Probably not entirely true.....)

billybarue
02-14-2015, 08:48 PM

I agree with that sentiment. I happen to like singles and blends, but Chivas 12 was my dad's scotch and what I cut my teeth on, and will always have a soft spot in my heart and place in my bar. I actually have the 4.5 litre bottle (in a cradle) on my bar - in homage to my pop.

Chivas 18 is a nice treat, JW black of course, and monkey shoulder is a welcome addition to the blends. As I understand, the scots, themselves, mostly consume blended whiskey?

wdwkelly
02-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Single malts......Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Springbank 10, Bunnahabhain 12, is a great starting place.
Now...I am just not into blended scotch..HOWEVER, Campbeltown Loch is by far the best blend you can get. Its dirt cheap at 33.00 a bottle. Beats the pants off of 200.00 Johnny Walker blue.
All those i mentioned is under 60.00 For less than that....its tough to get a single malt that is worth it.
I love Scotch! It is so much "complex and just "better" for a lack of a proper term than American Whisky.

P.S. Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig Quarter Cask is both around 60-70. The Uigeadail is possibly the best scotch you can get for the money!! Personally, Uigeadail and Springbank 10 is mighty hard to beat. Uigeadail...is pronounced.....oog-eeeh-dahl

Slow Triathlete
02-18-2015, 03:27 PM
I second (or third or fourth?) the Glenmorangie Orignial. It is my favorite everyday.

wdwkelly
02-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Balvenie Doublewood.
Thats a good non peated one! Im into Islay and Campbeltown scotch..But I do like the double wood-(P

wdwkelly
02-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Oh, got to disagree. there is a reason blends are cheap....
But, Campbeltown loch is a blend of only Springbank made Scotch Whisky....so its a blend...but not really. Its like 33.00.

JohnnyFlake
02-18-2015, 04:40 PM
But, Campbeltown loch is a blend of only Springbank made Scotch Whisky....so its a blend...but not really. Its like 33.00.

Just what might that reason be my friend?

Blends are made from different vintages and sometimes styles, of scotch (in this case), made by the same distillery.

markem
02-18-2015, 04:55 PM

I used to be a very large (read: thousands of special bottlings and more of singles) collector of scotches. I am curious as to why a blend of Springbank isn't a blend?

For that matter, any non-single barrel is a blend. They key is to know what you are talking about.

Do you?

Cheap blends are cheap for a reason and expensive blends might be expensive for a reason. capiche?

Porch Dweller
02-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Just what might that reason be my friend?

Blends are made from different vintages and sometimes styles, of scotch (in this case), made by the same distillery.

Yep. JW Platinum is a blend, it ain't cheap, and it's very, very good. I'd take a bottle of it over any two bottles of Macallan without a second thought.

wdwkelly
02-18-2015, 06:27 PM
I used to be a very large (read: thousands of special bottlings and more of singles) collector of scotches. I am curious as to why a blend of Springbank isn't a blend?

For that matter, any non-single barrel is a blend. They key is to know what you are talking about.

Do you?

Cheap blends are cheap for a reason and expensive blends might be expensive for a reason. capiche?
Of course i know what I'm talking about. Single malts are just from the same distillery....different barrels.....(unless single barrel)The blend i was referring to " Campbeltown Loch is a blend of all scotch made at the same distillery. Its the only one like it. SOME don't consider that a blend....even though it is. Sort of.
But a single malt means just that..it is NOT a blend. By strict Scotland definition. A blend is from different distillers...and 99% of the time...YOUNG scotch. Hence...reason why they are cheap.
You saying all non single malts are blends unless single barrel....is 110% wrong. Its Scot. law how they are defined.
Campbeltown Lock is a "blend" that MANY will drink...that refuse to drink blends..due to its uniqueness of being 100% springbank and longrow scotch. All made under 1 roof.

markem
02-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Campbeltown Lock is a "blend" that MANY will drink...that refuse to drink blends..due to its uniqueness of being 100% springbank and longrow scotch. All made under 1 roof.

But it is still a blend. By law.

wdwkelly
02-18-2015, 06:43 PM
But it is still a blend. By law.
YES, you are right. And its the only one many will drink that don't drink blends due to its uniqueness. As no other blends come from the same roof.

markem
02-18-2015, 06:44 PM
YES, you are right. And its the only one many will drink that don't drink blends due to its uniqueness. As no other blends come from the same roof.

really? And you based this provocative statement on what evidence?

wdwkelly
02-18-2015, 07:02 PM
really? And you based this provocative statement on what evidence?
Evidence.....:confused: There is a great youtube site.."ralfy" he is from scotland..Hell have all the answers you'll ever need to hear. As for Me? I was stationed at Lakenheath AFB from 1992-1995 Even though it was England, I learned a lot about Scotch. The only folks that drank blends then, over there.. were folks that just didn't have a lot of$$ Single malts were popular..but NOT near as popular as today, Especially peated scotch from Isaly and Campbeltown.
I have gone back to the U.K. every few years ever since..and really...the only dynamic that has changed is the immense popularity of Islay scotch....and for good reason.. Look at it this way.....those cigars you can get at a filling station....we all know they aren't premium sticks....blends are kinda like those station cigars. But, it you ever want to venture to Islay or Speyside....Campbeltown...i've been there on the dime of the U.S. Air Force...and single malts are the only game in town.
Enjoy what you want... but seriously..listen to ralfy..he is quite the character....but so in the loop.
Someone mentioned expensive Johnny Walker....well...some gurkhas are expensive....but they are still rubbish.

Goodness....Time to move on.. Drink those blends....someone has to.

markem
02-18-2015, 07:17 PM
Ah, ego as substitute for substance.

Porch Dweller
02-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Evidence.....:confused: There is a great youtube site.."ralfy" he is from scotland..Hell have all the answers you'll ever need to hear. As for Me? I was stationed at Lakenheath AFB from 1992-1995 Even though it was England, I learned a lot about Scotch. The only folks that drank blends then, over there.. were folks that just didn't have a lot of$$ Single malts were popular..but NOT near as popular as today, Especially peated scotch from Isaly and Campbeltown.
I have gone back to the U.K. every few years ever since..and really...the only dynamic that has changed is the immense popularity of Islay scotch....and for good reason.. Look at it this way.....those cigars you can get at a filling station....we all know they aren't premium sticks....blends are kinda like those station cigars. But, it you ever want to venture to Islay or Speyside....Campbeltown...i've been there on the dime of the U.S. Air Force...and single malts are the only game in town.
Enjoy what you want... but seriously..listen to ralfy..he is quite the character....but so in the loop.
Someone mentioned expensive Johnny Walker....well...some gurkhas are expensive....but they are still rubbish.

Goodness....Time to move on.. Drink those blends....someone has to.

Some of us can appreciate a good single malt AND appreciate a good quality blend. It's not an either/or situation, at least to the non-snobs.

markem
02-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Some of us can appreciate a good single malt AND appreciate a good quality blend. It's not an either/or situation, at least to the non-snobs.

:tpd: drink/smoke what you like and don't look down on others who are not "at your level of sophistication".

That's a paraphrase from Michael Jackson (the English one) from one of his private dinners.

RWhisenand
02-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Monkey Shoulder

Had a couple bottles of this lately, it's damn good! I guess it's Balvinnie Glenfiddich and Kinitchy. Two of my favorites and one I'm not familiar with. Anyhoo it's really good. Thanks for the recommendation.

pnoon
02-18-2015, 09:24 PM
Excuse me while I genuflect.
:rolleyes:

CigarNut
02-18-2015, 09:56 PM
I enjoy a number of single malts -- Glenmorangie 21 year old single cask is about the best I have had. I also like Johnny Walker Blue... I don't fit your standards, but I am OK with that.

Smoke or drink what you like... Drink or like what you smoke and to include what Mark said -- don't look down on others for what they like...

JohnnyFlake
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM
I must say wddwkelly, for a new member, you have an obnoxious attitude, not generally seen here with even older, crabby, members. But, I guess that's you and I expect that some of us will learn to get along with it.

That being said, The following link will explain what Single Malts are and what blends are, for those who wish to read.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/02/what-is-single-malt-scotch-what-is-blended-whisky.html

BTW, I have experienced many, many single malt scotches, in my 73 years, but I love J.W. Black and Chivas 18, better than most single malts! Of course, that's just me!