PDA

View Full Version : Guinness to Release Foreign Extra Stout in the USA

BlackDog
09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Here in the USA, for most of our lifetimes, we have only been able to buy Guinness Draught and Guinness Extra Stout. We have been unable to buy the "Holy Grail" of Guinness beers, their Foreign Extra Stout. But on October 1st Guinness will release their Foreign Extra Stout to us here in the USA. The label indicates that FES is made at St. James Gate, Dublin, rather than Canada where the other two products come from. Some of you who have travelled in the Caribbean may have had FES before, as it is available there.

I admit to not caring very much for the nitro-can Draught, but I like the Extra Stout a lot. I'm really excited to try the FES. :tu

Here is the press release from Guinness:

Tuesday, September 28th is National Drink Beer Day! As if you didn't already have reason to raise a pint, GUINNESS(r) Irish Stout is proud to announce its U.S. launch of GUINNESS(r) Foreign Extra Stout (FES) on October 1st. The fullest in flavor of the GUINNESS brand variants, GUINNESS FES is carbonated unlike the nitrogenated GUINNESS Draught with which most Americans are familiar. The specialty beer is 7.5% ABV and possesses strong, roasted aromas followed by a unique bittersweet taste. Foreign Extra Stout is already a favorite of many around the world, making up 45% of GUINNESS sales globally, and is sure to be a favorite of beer aficionados here in the U.S

Fact Sheet GUINNESS® Foreign Extra Stout (FES)

Product Description: GUINNESS® Foreign Extra Stout (FES) is brewed with the highest hop rate of all the GUINNESS® variants. The generous hop additions express fully the beers distinctive character and flavor while also prolonging shelf life in warmer climates, as hops are the best natural preservative for beer. GUINNESS FES is uniquely different from GUINNESS Draught both in taste profile, color and ritual.

Taste
Profile: Big, full‐bodied flavor with enormous complexity and character. Strong, roasted aromas followed by a unique bittersweet taste

Appearance
Deep Brown

Dispense
Carbonated

Ingredients
Malt, Roast Barley, Hops, Yeast, Water

ABV
7.5%

Serve
In a GUINNESS goblet or chilled straight from the bottle; one‐part pour at a 45 degree angle

Five step ritual
Chill, Release, Pour, Toast, Enjoy

Tasting Notes
The sensation of GUINNESS Foreign Extra Stout astonishes and activates the palate with the taste buds immediately ignited by a deep, rich sweetness of the malted barley. The strong caramel, coffee‐like character of the roasted barley and the calm impact of the fragrant hops give an aromatic and sensual effect. The finish is perhaps the most important part of the GUINNESS taste experience ensuring these distinct sensations linger in your mouth longer for you to enjoy.

Suggested Retail Price:
4‐pack @ $9.49

History
Brewed for more than two centuries, GUINNESS FES dates back to 1801. Known as West India Porter until the mid nineteenth century, FES was an export beer brewed with extra hops, giving the beer a more intense flavor and higher alcohol strength. The extra hops also acts as a natural preservative for beer, allowing it to survive long journeys overseas.

GUINNESS FES was exported to the U.S. beginning in 1817, but was discontinued in 1920 due to prohibition. The specialty stout will make its return to the U.S. market in October 2010.

http://www.guinness.com

http://beeradvocate.com/im/forum/guinness_foreign_extra_stout_us_goblet.jpg

mosesbotbol
09-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow, Guinness is my go to draft beer at the bar. Can't wait. Thanks!

awsmith4
09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Finally!!!

:dance:

WildBlueSooner
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
That does look pretty damn tasty :)

Doctorossi
09-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow- 'bout time! I'll be stocking up! :wo

LasciviousXXX
09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Excellent! I know where I'll be on the 1st :D

:xxx

yourchoice
09-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Awesome news!

replicant_argent
09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
"you must spread some rep around.. blah blah blah"

Great news, and I am salivating, thanks, Warren.

ucla695
09-22-2010, 01:50 PM
:dr :dr

AD720
09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I feel like I've been waiting my whole life for this.

ninjavanish
09-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Although the label says "St. James Gate, Dublin"...

This is actually brewed in Jamaica.

Believe it or not... it's actually the No. 1 most consumed beer on the whole island... Red Stripe eat your heart out!

Jbailey
09-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I'll give it a try.

b0rderman
09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
what the hell...sign me up! :)

Anything like their 250th anniversary beer? Where was that from?

ninjavanish
09-22-2010, 02:21 PM
what the hell...sign me up! :)

Anything like their 250th anniversary beer? Where was that from?

It may be like their 250th...to paraphrase..."FES was previously marketed in the US as "West Indie Porter""

The 250th was closer a porter rather than a stout... As this is more closely related to a porter...

The main difference I see right off the bat is the 7.5% ABV... can I get a yee-haw? How about a Slainte!?

The 250th was actually brewed in Ireland.

SD Beerman
09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
They also will be releasing a Black Lager in some test markets. Bottle only, for places that don't have Guinness draft and for off sale.:al

BlackDog
09-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Although the label says "St. James Gate, Dublin"...

This is actually brewed in Jamaica.
The US TTB approved label clearly says "Product of Ireland" and "Brewed in Ireland, St. James Gate". See attachment, and compare this to a Guinness Draught or Extra Stout, both of which say they are products of Canada.

ninjavanish
09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
The US TTB approved label clearly says "Product of Ireland" and "Brewed in Ireland, St. James Gate". See attachment, and compare this to a Guinness Draught or Extra Stout, both of which say they are products of Canada.

The basis of all of the Guinness brews is Guinness wort which is shipped to their many breweries across the globe where it is then added to the local brewery's fermenters. The wort is made in Ireland. The final product is technically "brewed" in other countries. So they can still technically say it was "Brewed in Ireland" because part of it was actually made there. (Like calling a La Gloria Cubana Serie R a Dominican cigar even though the wrapper was grown in Ecuador...)

I would guess that this is almost certainly the case with this. However that's just a guess and there is certainly room for error on my part.

I don't see the feasibility of upkeeping a supply chain shipment from Ireland to the US of a mass produced beer like this. The costs would be far too high and margins would be far too low. It makes more logical sense that they would do exactly what they do in Canada (or Jamaica) since these are locations far closer and far less time in transit between them and the US. :2

P.S. Not denying the obvious... it DOES say "Product of Ireland" but don't underestimate those marketing guys... they are sneaky little fellas!

Also, after looking a little more closely... the Jamaican Guinness is in fact called FES... it too is an 11.2oz bottle however, it weighs in at a mere 6.5% ABV. So there are some similarities and some obvious differences.

icehog3
09-22-2010, 02:49 PM

I am in for a couple dozen cases. :dr :al

replicant_argent
09-22-2010, 02:52 PM

I am in for a couple dozen cases. :dr :al

I'm with Tom... I really don't care where it is made.

BlackDog
09-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Ninja, If that were the case, though, I would think the Draught and Extra Stout would also say "Product of Ireland" rather than "Product of Canada." I certainly agree with your thoughts regarding the supply chain; Jamacia is a lot closer than Dublin. Perhaps the Jamacia plant doesn't have enough capacity for the US volume? Anyhow, it's not terribly important as long as it tastes good.

Cheers! :chr

I want one of those goblets, too. :)

icehog3
09-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I want one of those goblets, too. :)

Group buy!!

ninjavanish
09-22-2010, 02:57 PM
If that were the case, though, I would think the Draught and Extra Stout would also say "Product of Ireland" rather than "Product of Canada."

Doesn't the Extra Stout Say Product of Ireland?

Anyhow, it's not terribly important as long as it tastes good.

Agreed!

Cheers! :chr

ODLS1
09-23-2010, 10:05 AM
I have been wanting to try this for a long time. Guinness got me in to good beer, but after having awesome Stouts, I realize what it is - a light stout. No it is not a meal in a bottle - 4.2%, 125 calories. This FES is supposed to be great, and I will finally have something good to compare my own FES to. I bet mine is still better :D.

icehog, you should wait and do a side by side with Guinness FES and my FES, hah.

jmsremax
09-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I love guiness.....I will def be picking some up. :tu

Partagaspete
09-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I'll giver her a go! I recently ha a Guinness draft and it was not nearly as good as in England and I blieve even that is not rewed in Ireland. :chr

mastershogun
09-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I love this stuff... had some in Ireland (the only place I found it was at the Guinness facility). Good news :banger

VirtualSmitty
09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
This is good news, I am very excite :tu

timo
09-23-2010, 01:58 PM
You mean I moved to Ireland for nothing?

icehog3
09-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I have been wanting to try this for a long time. Guinness got me in to good beer, but after having awesome Stouts, I realize what it is - a light stout. No it is not a meal in a bottle - 4.2%, 125 calories. This FES is supposed to be great, and I will finally have something good to compare my own FES to. I bet mine is still better :D.

icehog, you should wait and do a side by side with Guinness FES and my FES, hah.

That sounds like a plan....have your homebrew chillin', it can chill a little longer....:)

pektel
09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
This is good news, I am very excite :tu

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/GarrettGoesBoom/Borat.jpg

VirtualSmitty
09-23-2010, 03:23 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/GarrettGoesBoom/Borat.jpg

Seriously, I haven't been this excited since the shake weight came out! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MG0CVLBriY)
:D:tu

ODLS1
10-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Having a glass right now.

Aroma has hints of sweet malt, roasted barley, coffee, and chocolate - although nothing dominates. Also has that "Guinness" smell (souring I guess, although it doesn't smell outright sour).
Nice carbonation, I'd say medium. About medium bodied.
Flavor is some nice roastiness, some actually hoppiness (bitterness from the roasted grains may help this) and it tastes noticeably sour, for a normal Stout at least. More so than regular Guinness, but nothing crazy.

Overall, I like it quite a bit, and will probably buy it here and there, and I don't buy much more than once, or a few times if it's great.

I was going to compare it to my FES, but they are completely different beers with the sourness of Guinness. I like them both for what they are, although I would rather have mine instead of the Guinness. The Guinness is great, but it's no O'Daniel :D

If you like Stouts, go pick up a 4pk of this. $8.99, at our store at least.

icehog, like I said, they are completely different beers, but I'd still be interested in a side-by-side if possible :)

Louistogies
10-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Sweet. Gonna pick this up for sure!

bigdix
10-08-2010, 06:09 AM
It's about time.

Doctorossi
10-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Anybody else (besides ODLS1) actually seen any on the shelves yet?

Mr.Maduro
10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Is this going to be a limited release?
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackDog
10-08-2010, 08:34 AM
I haven't seen it in my usual beer store yet.

Brutus2600
10-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I'll drop by my local liquor store and see if they're getting it in. I'm pretty stoked about this as well.

rack04
10-08-2010, 08:47 AM
I haven't found any locally in Dallas.

Jbailey
10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Haven't picked any up yet but I've seen it on the shelves.

LasciviousXXX
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I picked some up but have been pretty sick the last week. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Powers
10-08-2010, 12:20 PM
If my local grocery store has it I'll be sippin' on a few during the MLB playoffs tonight! :banger

dwoodward
10-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Gosh, how are people finding this? One of the Top 10 distributors in the US is right here where I live and somehow they don't even know it exists...

GAH!!!!

ODLS1
10-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm sure it will take a couple weeks to spread throughout the US. Wednesday I asked the distributor if he knew anything about it and he said "Yep. You all will be getting 25 cases tomorrow." I said fantastic.

Powers
10-08-2010, 03:59 PM
My local grocery store didn't have it, hopefully they will soon, but they had 12 pks of Guinness Draught on sale so i didn't walk away empty handed

icehog3
10-11-2010, 09:58 AM
icehog, like I said, they are completely different beers, but I'd still be interested in a side-by-side if possible :)

I will do that as soon as I find the new Guinness here. :tu

Doctorossi
10-11-2010, 10:14 AM
No dice yet. :(

dwoodward
10-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Just talked to the distributor here in town again. This time, they have heard of it, but say that it probably wont be shipping here until January.

I hate living in the middle of no where, all the cool things are old by the time they get here.

WyGuy
10-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Just picked up a four-pack, looking forward to giving it a try sometime soon.

pektel
10-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Just talked to the distributor here in town again. This time, they have heard of it, but say that it probably wont be shipping here until January.

I hate living in the middle of no where, all the cool things are old by the time they get here.

I hear ya. I live in BFE as well. No GFES here either.

awsmith4
10-20-2010, 03:51 PM

I hear ya. I live in BFE as well. No GFES here either.

You guys may want to try Beerfly/Beer Advocate to locate good beer stores within driving range.

Beklage
10-21-2010, 12:10 PM

I am going to the store tonight and I will see if they have it, if they do I will let you know ;)

Bunker
10-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I haven't had a Guiness in awhile.

I will have to stop on my way home and have a look.

Zens7s
10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a friend from Ireland that lives here now and you have completely made his day!

Partagaspete
10-21-2010, 04:41 PM
You guys may want to try Beerfly/Beer Advocate to locate good beer stores within driving range.

Thanks for the tip. My store said her distributer told her he is not gewtting any because "he carries enough stouts" prick!

ODLS1
10-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the tip. My store said her distributer told her he is not gewtting any because "he carries enough stouts" prick!

BS. You can never have enough Stouts!

bresdogsr
10-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Going to try to find some this weekend.

Jbailey
10-21-2010, 11:12 PM

:tpd:

I agree 100%!

icehog3
10-21-2010, 11:20 PM
:tpd:

I agree 100%!

Stouts rock. :banger

Doctorossi
11-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Had to leave the state to do it, but I finally found some. :tu

sikk50
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I wish they would rerelease Guenis 250....that was one of the best beers I every had :sad

sobranie10
11-09-2010, 06:57 PM

:tu:tu:tu

mosesbotbol
11-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I got a 4 pack last night for around $10 and I was not too impressed. 7.5% alcohol, but other than that was the same stout in a bottle. I much prefer either draft or widget can/bottle version.

Partagaspete
11-13-2010, 08:09 AM
I got a 4 pack last night for around $10 and I was not too impressed. 7.5% alcohol, but other than that was the same stout in a bottle. I much prefer either draft or widget can/bottle version.

100% Agree with his I was aboout to post pretty much the same message.

Brutus2600
11-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Just picked these up today...finally found them :p

I'm going to get some of the regular extra stout and compare them.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1017/5188607454_eb04fb7057.jpg

mastershogun
11-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Have had foreign extra stout before but brought some to try again. Pretty much what I remembered. I like it more than extra stout in the bottle but doesn't come close to tap (especially in Ireland)

Powers
11-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Had a couple of these tonight, thanks to Albert (awsmith4). Reeeallly good IMO, definitely better than the normal extra stout :tu