PDA

View Full Version : Large cabinet sealing help..I really need it.

e-man67
09-21-2010, 10:43 AM
So I bought a used LARGE cigar cabinet and there are gaps all over the thing. Between the doors and the cabinet all the brown foam seal has pretty much fallen away and I need to replace it. Question 1, what type of sealer do I use? I know Home Depot sells the double sided sticky white stuff..is that going to do it? The cabinet also has two large glass in wood doors that you can remove the glass with the turn of 2 locks on each side..I am going to seal these in place with a sealer..Question 2, is their a special type of sealer/chalk that I should use? (i.e. aquarium sealer?). I would also like to seal all the seems inside the cabinet where the wood meets wood. Question 3, should I use wood glue for this or sealer/chalk? I will get the photos up tonight..it is 7 ft 10 inches from corner to corner so I have to cut it down a few inches because my ceilings are only 7ft 8 inches tall! Any and all help greatly appreciated! :tu

pektel
09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I'd check for some type of sealant that has low odor, and no off-gassing. I bet some of those solvents would surely affect the cigar's flavour. Maybe ask waxingmoon? I bet he'd have an excellent answer for you.

muhren
09-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Some may argue with my thinking...in fact I expect it, BUT I would just try seasoning it first and see how it holds. I also just bought a cabinet and the glass seemed a little "loose" to me. Doors could us a little tightening (which I did) but the seal isn't completely air tight. That being said, it holds humidity at 67% like a ROCK without any sealant applied. I have a couple pounds of beads in the thing too...just as an FYI.

My understanding has always been that slight air flow is expected. You just can't have enough that it ruins the humidity level.

M

SvilleKid
09-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Some may argue with my thinking...in fact I expect it, BUT I would just try seasoning it first and see how it holds. I also just bought a cabinet and the glass seemed a little "loose" to me. Doors could us a little tightening (which I did) but the seal isn't completely air tight. That being said, it holds humidity at 67% like a ROCK without any sealant applied. I have a couple pounds of beads in the thing too...just as an FYI.

My understanding has always been that slight air flow is expected. You just can't have enough that it ruins the humidity level.

M

This approach has merit especially as it applies to wood on wood seams/joints. If the cabinet hasn't been up to humidity levels for a while, simply seasoning it will result in wood swell that may seal many of your problems. As far as the door gaps where gaskets/foam is now gone, home improvement stores sell a wide variety of self-stick foam and rubber strips that should work. And, you should be able to do a "sniff test" on the material before you buy it to see if it is odor free. silicon caulk probable most pliable for the glass, but I've never had any silicon caulk that didn't stink! Don't know if aquarium silicon is any different.

dwoodward
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Don't know if aquarium silicon is any different.

It does. Stinks just like regular silicon, but its not as bad.

e-man67
09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Should I just user wood glue for the seams?

GreekGodX
09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
I have no expertise in this and would probably be the last person you'd want to do anything handy with but I felt I needed to contribute in some way..

:np

Let me know if you need some help smoking some cigars, Eric. I'll bring the Bourbon :al

waffle
09-21-2010, 02:25 PM
I have no expertise in this and would probably be the last person you'd want to do anything handy with but I felt I needed to contribute in some way..

Let me know if you need some help smoking some cigars, Eric. I'll bring the Bourbon :al

If you need help, let me know... I'm not extremely handy, but I'm good at taking direction.

e-man67
09-21-2010, 02:25 PM

You are always welcome Christos! Pics tonight!

audio1der
09-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Following this thread for advice on sealing a walk-in humi door.

elderboy02
09-21-2010, 06:55 PM
I took these pictures for Eric. He asked me to post them:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z282/elderboy02/IMG_0692.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z282/elderboy02/IMG_0693.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z282/elderboy02/IMG_0694.jpg

waffle
09-21-2010, 07:59 PM
I took these pictures for Eric. He asked me to post them:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z282/elderboy02/IMG_0692.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z282/elderboy02/IMG_0693.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z282/elderboy02/IMG_0694.jpg

e-man's also about 6' 5" or so... just to gauge the height of that...

e-man67
09-22-2010, 06:28 AM
I am actually 6'3 but you can see how big this thing is!

GreekGodX
09-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Very nice brother :tu Can't wait to come down and see it full!

muhren
09-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Nice pick-up!

e-man67
09-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Nice pick-up!

So is yours! I like the color of yours better! :tu

HK3-
09-22-2010, 08:44 AM
First off, nice humi! :tu

If you have small cracks, seams, etc.. that need to be sealed up I would just go ahead and seal them with the clear silicone/aquarium caulk. Do it while you still have it outside to it can air out and dry quickly. The smell wont stick around forever but you definately don't want your stogies picking up that awful odor.

For the doors and moving parts I would try to use some type of weather stripping. Like the others mentioned, some breathing is ok to have but obviously you don't want your humidity fluctuating up and down.

Make sure you get some circulating fans for that beast!

ninjavanish
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I have dealt with a bunch of these types of humidors over the years. Even in super arid climates like Tucson, AZ the gaps between the door and the body of the humidor often make little difference that cannot be corrected by simply adding a few more humidification devices. Obviously an active humidifier such as an oasis would be a must for a humidor this size... however the addition of beads and/or passive humidifiers to the roof/"basement" of the humidor are usually more than enough to overcome the amount of "leakage" you may have. And not to mention the cigars themselves will do quite a bit to regulate the humidity. Of course the old rule is humidors run their best when they are at least half full certainly still applies here.

elderboy02
09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
...Of course the old rule is humidors run their best when they are at least half full certainly still applies here.

Ha ha Eric! You are going to have to buy more cigars. The 4 boxes you have now aren't going to cut it! ;)

Red
09-22-2010, 09:45 AM
i think you need help sealing your lips :)

e-man67
09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Ha ha Eric! You are going to have to buy more cigars. The 4 boxes you have now aren't going to cut it! ;)

If you didn't smoke all crap I would take some of yours! :r:r

rharris
09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Shilala would be a good one to ask about this. He has alot of experience with fixing leaks in humis.

secretsquirrel
09-26-2010, 01:09 PM
That cabinet is huge!!! like dans head!!

Bill86
09-26-2010, 01:35 PM
WOW that's a 7 foot tall cabinet O_O. Nice, good luck filling that beast.

muhren
09-26-2010, 01:51 PM
WOW that's a 7 foot tall cabinet O_O. Nice, good luck filling that beast.

I actually got one from the same guy Eric did...I failed miserably at filling it. :sh But, it does look cool!

Lets see how he does filling his! :tu

M