PDA

View Full Version : BW Kent Cigar Co. - Los Volcanes Robusto

Brutus2600
09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
A couple months ago I received a couple of pre-release cigars from BW Kent Cigar Company of their new line Los Volcanes. I was in the middle of DBall's blind reviews when I got them and was mostly focusing on reviewing those. So I let these sit in my humi and rest while I finished those up. Now that DBall's reviews are done (unfortunately!), I have the time to review these cigars. The first one I'm going to review is the Robusto.

This cigar has a slightly oily, very beautiful dark wrapper, with only a few slight veins. The construction seems solid, almost borderline too hard. If I didn't know I had kept it in 65% RH for the past two months I would've guessed just by squeezing it that the cigar was severely under humidified, so I hope it doesn't smoke like it's dried out. The pre-draw reveals a perfect draw with hints of spice, a very distinct licorice flavor, and undertones of sweet tobacco.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5001514678_06fe784101_b.jpg

Initial Light and first third 8:50 - My first draws bring billows of white smoke, a distinct spice, and hints of cream and sweet tobacco. There are other flavors I'm having trouble picking out, they're all very subtle, but the result is a smooth, creamy, and flavorful smoke that's very enjoyable. The burn is very nice, not perfect, but even and consistent. The ash is holding nicely at about 1" and is nice white/gray. The firm construction I talked about earlier was indeed not a dried out cigar, just a very solid construction that is proving to be holding the ash even with a light tap.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5001514764_f411e74d1a_b.jpg

Second third 9: 25 - The flavors haven't diminished, but neither have they developed or changed much. The spice has diminished some, but there are milk chocolate hints that are making their way to the forefront. The cigar has been smooth, sweet, not bitter, but there is a developing strength to the cigar. The burn has become a little squirrelly, but not uneven. I ashed the cigar at the beginning of this third and it's held nicely since then.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/5001514812_ba2dbe5558_b.jpg

Final third 9:50 - While for all intents and purposes, so far this has seemed to be a mild cigar, as in the flavors and strength haven't been "in my face" strong. However, it is proving to be a strong cigar in that I'm starting to feel it's effects 2/3rds of the way into it. Strong enough in fact that I'm not sure I want to nub it, as I thought I would be doing. As the strength is increasing, so the previous sweet chocolaty flavors are decreasing while pepper and spice are becoming a dominant force on my palate.

Final thoughts - I really enjoyed this cigar. I went into it with no previous bias, experience, or knowledge about it having not read any other reviews, and can honestly say that it's a cigar I would smoke again and even look into buying a box of depending on what price point these are released at.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5000913679_a8136e0f49_b.jpg

Appearance and construction: 1.3 out of 1.5
Smoke and ash: 1.5 out of 1.5
Burn: 2.6 out of 3
Overall flavor: 3.5 out of 4

Total: 8.9 out of 10

kelmac07
09-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Great review Brian...thanks for sharing!! :tu

Garbandz
09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
A very nice review,glad you enjoyed the stick.The flavors in this cigar do seem to blend together,several people have mentioned that it is hard to pick out component flavors.
I hope more reviews will show up soon,I look forward to finding out your impressions......

mariogolbee
09-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you for the review. I had gotten this "blending" of flavors out of the stick as well. It was a damned fine cigar.

s15driftking
10-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Spicey! I have smoke a dozen of these.

Where can I get more? who sells them?

kelmac07
01-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Just torched mine today...WOW!! Very impressed with this stick. Now on the lookout to snag a box. :dr :dr

Can't find these...anyone know where to snag these????

s15driftking
01-08-2011, 04:48 PM
i have been looking too, i think the company may have tanked (heard rumors)

kelmac07
01-08-2011, 04:50 PM
i have been looking too, i think the company may have tanked (heard rumors)

That sucks Bobby...because that stick was DAMN TASTY!! :dr :dr

G G
01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Nice review Bryan.:tu

Brutus2600
01-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Just saw that this thread had new posts when I came back to see what I thought of the robusto. I'm smoking the salomon now and writing a review. I'm sad to hear that the company may have tanked...almost makes writing this review worthless :( Oh well, if anybody hears anything about these, let us know! :tu

s15driftking
01-16-2011, 10:49 AM
^^^ Very sad indeed. BWK cigars were well constructed and had very spicy leathery notes.

Brutus2600
01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Called the number on the BW Kent webpage and a lady answered "something something Holdings" (couldn't understand it). Anyway, after a short chat she let me know that as of this month BW Kent Cigar Company doesn't exist anymore. So...looks like this cigar won't be released, or at least not by this company.

Emjaysmash
05-24-2011, 04:17 PM
So I'm smoking my robusto now. I'd write a review but seeing as I let it rest so long the company went out of business, I guess it's a moot point.

awesome cigar, though! They should sell the blend to a bigger cigar company because this is great!

N2 GOLD
05-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Thank you for the review... :tu

mariogolbee
05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
T really like these. Where are they available? O know many of us received samples, but where can we purchase some?

Emjaysmash
05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
this was from the samples that were sent out. They went out of business before they could get any in stores I believe.

mariogolbee
05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
this was from the samples that were sent out. They went out of business before they could get any in stores I believe.
"DARN IT!" :c They really are pretty darned good, too. I smoked the robusto and was loving it. The salomon I received was pretty cracked up.

Emjaysmash
05-24-2011, 04:41 PM
"DARN IT!" :c They really are pretty darned good, too. I smoked the robusto and was loving it. The salomon I received was pretty cracked up.

I know what you mean. If I had a sorce for these I'd hoard them!! Lol

mariogolbee
05-24-2011, 04:42 PM
I know what you mean. If I had a sorce for these I'd hoard them!! Lol

Hoarder...:tg

kelmac07
05-24-2011, 05:42 PM
I wish I had HOARDED some of these. :dr :dr :dr