PDA

View Full Version : Met a Hero

W.B.
09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
The other day I met a Hero. A distinguished older man was shopping in the store and was recieving assistance so he could get out and someone to look over him; as age has required him. He had three medals pinned to his vest. I asked him what they were for and he and his assistant told me; one for his service in WWII Pacific and he was a former Iwo Jima combatant, the other a Purple Heart earned 3x's over and finally another medal for recommitting to service after battle injury. I had to thank the man for his service and also tell him for me he is a hero.

Sadly, I rarely meet former servicemen as most do not make proclamations of their service and never (this was my first encounter hopefully not the last) knowingly meet distinguished men or women who have served.

To those who have served THANK YOU!

68TriShield
09-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I for one will miss our greatest generation when they are gone.Good job Warren.

CigarNut
09-16-2010, 11:33 AM
It's a shame when people are not proud to proclaim their service... They have done so much for us!

BlackDog
09-16-2010, 11:46 AM
It's a shame when people are not proud to proclaim their service... They have done so much for us!

There was a related news story a few days ago, of an English woman who served as a spy behind German lines in WWII, and recently died alone and, almost, unrecognised for her service.

Lonely death of a wartime heroine

Details of Eileen Nearne's spy history emerge after old correspondence and medals found among her possessions

Her final years were quiet and unassuming and, after dying alone at her small seaside flat, 89-year-old Eileen Nearne was to be laid to rest in a modest plot with few mourners expected at her funeral.

But neighbours and council officials were amazed today to learn that this mild-mannered woman was a decorated British spy who worked behind enemy lines during the second world war, using code names and aliases such as "Rose" and "Mademoiselle du Tort".

Details of Nearne's amazing personal history emerged after old French currency, correspondence written in French, and a selection of medals were discovered among her private possessions at her flat in Torquay.

Now other former spies and historians have stepped out of the shadows to pay tribute to an "amazing" woman who had three times escaped from the Nazis to continue to fight against Hitler's forces.

MORE... (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/sep/13/wartime-spy-eileen-nearne-dies)

CasaDooley
09-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I meet up with one at least a couple times a week; My Dad, Navy, served in the Pacific during WWII.
And to quote Dave, I too "will miss our greatest generation when they are gone":salute:

kydsid
09-16-2010, 12:36 PM
i went to say thanks to a ww2 vet at breakfast a couple weeks ago. he nearly cried simply because i wanted to thank him for his service while at the same time being completely humble and saying it was all a long time ago and he didnt do much. i couldnt help to notice though that his vet ballcap had a purple heart and bronze star ribbon on it. that is a hero too in my book for sure
Posted via Mobile Device

Lumpold
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."