PDA

View Full Version : I'm heading to Miami next week

Patrick B
09-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Three part trip

1.) College visit for my daughter at the U Thursday and Friday. Thursday is main campus and Friday is a tour of the marine biology program, her intended program of study.

2.) Hitting the beach in Miami and Little Havana, of course. We are staying overnight Thursday in Miami. We plan on eating Thursday night at Grillfish - we love seafood and this place has been recommended. Friday morning it's off to calle Ocho to see LFD, Pepin, and Padron's places and have lunch at Cafe Versailles. this place was recommended for good Cuban food.

3.) We'll spend the rest of the weekend fishing and hunting alligators on Lake Okeechobee, where my mom and stepdad live (he's a part time guide).

Just wanted to throw this out there if any Asylum members had experiences or recommendations they wanted to share. I'm really psyched for this trip and wish it was tomorrow! :D

Blueface
09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Versailles is very good but I prefer a couple of other places way over Versailles.

In Miami, Havana Harry's. They are on 42 Ave near US1.

Just north of the airport, about 10 minutes or so away, is Molina's Ranch. This is the wife's favorite place as is mine. More homestyle.

You will eat much better Cuban food in either of those two, but again, Versailles is very good.
Make sure you get one of their fresh guava pastels for desert.

Patrick B
09-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Just the type of info I'm looking for. Keep it up fellas!

MiamiE
09-15-2010, 08:15 PM
OMG Molina's! :D I prefer Sergio's to be honest. All three mentioned are good though. If you want seafood there's only one place and that's Garcia's on the river. If you want fancy I can't help you, but good food I can help!

Patrick B
09-17-2010, 06:56 AM
hmmm, thinking about doing Garcia's instead of Grillfish. But we'd have to drive over from South Beach. How's parking around there?

DougBushBC
09-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Where around the lake will you be?

Also, where are you staying?

floydpink
09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I agree about Molinas, but the deserts at Versailles with a cafe con leche are always on my list.

I do need to stop by Casa Carlos in Boca for comparison purposes.

darkleeroy
09-17-2010, 09:35 AM
8th and 15th Ave has a neat little store that used to be the Padilla factory. I drop by there when my job sees that I've worked enough.

Patrick B
09-17-2010, 03:18 PM
My family lives in Lakeport on the Easternmost tip of the lake. We're staying at the Dorchester Thursday night while in Miami.

Thanks all for the tips!

MiamiE
09-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Do you have a guide for the gator hunt? Have you ever hunted gators before? Just wondering. :D

DougBushBC
09-18-2010, 02:16 AM
My family lives in Lakeport on the Easternmost tip of the lake. We're staying at the Dorchester Thursday night while in Miami.

Thanks all for the tips!

By easternmost tip you meant westernmost area, damn. I got excited for a bit, Eastern Lake area is Palm Beach County, we coulda had an impromptu herf!

MiamiE
09-18-2010, 05:47 AM
I think Lakeport is by Moore Haven on the west side Doug. There's a few good bars in Okeechobee which won't be too far.

Patrick B
09-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Duh, Lakeport is on the western tip. Sorry.

My stepdad is a guide, so we are all set on the gator hunt. This will be my fourth one - hoping for a 12 foot monster this year.

This trip is going to be very short, but I will be back down for 2 weeks at Christmas and would love to try to meet up with some people then to share a smoke or two!

MiamiE
09-18-2010, 06:34 AM
I've heard the gators are very skittish this year. At least up north by Orlando. I hope you get that 12 footer!