PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 Sucks!

Blueface
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
You would think a device that gets that much use as mine does, that is two months old now, would appreciate a trip with the wife and I to Key Largo.
Furthermore, you would think it would appreciate my act of kindness of taking it in the bay with me for a dip in some great Florida Keys ocean water.

Well, I have learned my phone is not appreciative of any of that. In fact, it made it's feelings very well known to me by heating up to a boiling point where I was about to be burned if I held onto it too long.

So, moral of the story, after stopping by the Apple store to pick up a new one, this time at the lovely price of $599 plus tax, is that iPhone 4's suck!!! They don't appreciate a weekend getaway and a dip in the bay.:r

I might add, the culprit was five rum runners with floaters of 151 before taking that fateful dip.

Let the iPhone bashing begin.:r:r:r again........yet.........still.

aich75013
09-14-2010, 08:49 AM
:r :r Someone's gonna say that you should have bought an Android phone.

Mine actually overheated once. I had it on the patio by the pool in direct sunlight when it was 102*F outside. It showed a warning that it needed to cool down. Worked fine after I took it inside to let it cool off.
I'm glad I didn't decide to take a dip with it.

Wanger
09-14-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry, Carlos. LOL

mosesbotbol
09-14-2010, 08:55 AM
I blew out an iphone plugging into a wall outlet in Mexico. Too much voltage and iPhone is barely touchable hot.

Don Fernando
09-14-2010, 08:55 AM
:r :r Someone's gonna say that you should have bought an Android phone.

Let me be the first. I am the owner of an Android phone (HTC Desire) for a week now and love it.

CigarNut
09-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Did you have a wake for your iPhone (more rum runners with floaters of 151)? It seems only appropriate!

Blueface
09-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Let me be the first. I am the owner of an Android phone (HTC Desire) for a week now and love it.

Take it for a swim in the ocean and then let me know how happy you are then.:D

Did you have a wake for your iPhone (more rum runners with floaters of 151)? It seems only appropriate!

Took me two days to stop thinking about it. Man I was pissed at myself. On the third day, wife convinced me to go get another one. In the meantime, I spent three days in the keys, without my phone, without my email, without my fantasy football scores. Man I was lost!!!

Don Fernando
09-14-2010, 09:02 AM

Got full insurance, even for things like that :D

Blueface
09-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Got full insurance, even for things like that :D

:fu2

No insurance that is worthwhile here.
Best I found is costly and then has a high deductible. Not worth it.

I am going to wait four weeks or so and then dissect my old one.
Dying to see what that salt will do in there in that time.
Pictures to come eventually.

landhoney
09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
this time at the lovely price of $599 plus tax.....the culprit was five rum runners with floaters of 151 before taking that fateful dip.

Those were some expensive drinks. :D

Sorry to hear of your lose Carlos.

T.G
09-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi, Billy Mays here!

Having problems with your iPhone? We HAVE your solution, right here, right now! Let me show it to you!

http://www.gizmodo.fr/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/applebrick.jpg

Yes, it's the amazing iBrick! This all in one tool solves all your iPhone problems swiftly and efficiently!

You simply place your iPhone on any hard surface, preferably concrete, and raise our exclusive iBrick above your head and slam it down on the phone. Yes, just SLAM IT DOWN! That's right. Most iPhone problems are resolved with JUST A SINGLE APPLICATION! For exceptionally stubbon phones, a second application might be necessary.

That's it! It's that simple! Just SLAM THE iBRICK DOWN!

You know it's quality because the iBrick is made in GERMANY!

How much would you expect to pay for this marvel of technological repair?

$39.95?
$49.95?
$59.95?

NO WAY! I'm Billy Mays and right here, right now, today, I'm here to tell you that you can forget all of that! You can have this AMAZING iBRICK for a MERE $19.95!!

YES, you heard that right! Just $19.95!

In fact, if you order now, I'll throw in a second iBrick free of charge!

That's right! TWO iBricks for the price of one!

That's not all though!

I'll include a FREE, yes absolutely FREE mini-dustpan and broom.

So that's TWO iBricks and a bonus mini-dustpan, all for $19.95*.

But, wait, there's MORE!

If you order in the next 30 minutes, I'll even throw in a mini-coke spoon!

That's one iBrick, plus FREE bonus iBrick, FREE mini-dustpan and broom and FREE mini-coke spoon! All for the low, low price of $19.95! That's TEN DOLLARS LESS than Apple charges! And you can FIX your OWN iPhone!

Call now, operators are standing by!

$19.95 includes iBrick, bonus free iBrick, mini-dustpan and broom, and bonus free mini-coke spoon. Shipping and handling extra, $39.95 to most locations. Offer valid for contentinental US only, void where prohibited,

Blueface
09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Those were some expensive drinks. :D

Sorry to hear of your lose Carlos.

It was a costly experience indeed.
On the way back, stopped at West Marine and picked up a Pelican water proof case for my new one.
Next time, first, will leave it in the room. Second, if I forget number one, will place it in the Pelican case.

Gotta tell you, all you need to do is be without it for three days as I was and man do you realize how dependent you are on that toy. I was literally lost. Then, when I got the new one, the kid in me returned.

Beagleone
09-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Next time, leave the iPhone in the bag on the beach or get the Otterbox Defender case that will seal the phone up pretty good.

newcigarz
09-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Carlos, I feel for you my friend. I would be lost without my iphone.
And you have one of the best wives on the planet. :tu

the MacDonald
09-14-2010, 09:58 AM

I am going to wait four weeks or so and then dissect my old one.
Dying to see what that salt will do in there in that time.
Pictures to come eventually.

I got mine at Best Buy, they have a "no fault insurance," that covers every sort of drink related mishaps, or generally poor judgement, outside of loss or theft.

me, "so if I wanted to get that guys attention over there by throwing my Iphone at him, you'll give me a new one?"

them, "well yeah, as long as you bring it in."

me, "I'll take it."

bazookajoe
09-14-2010, 10:05 AM
You would think a device that gets that much use as mine does, that is two months old now, would appreciate a trip with the wife and I to Key Largo.
Furthermore, you would think it would appreciate my act of kindness of taking it in the bay with me for a dip in some great Florida Keys ocean water.

Well, I have learned my phone is not appreciative of any of that. In fact, it made it's feelings very well known to me by heating up to a boiling point where I was about to be burned if I held onto it too long.

So, moral of the story, after stopping by the Apple store to pick up a new one, this time at the lovely price of $599 plus tax, is that iPhone 4's suck!!! They don't appreciate a weekend getaway and a dip in the bay.:r

I might add, the culprit was five rum runners with floaters of 151 before taking that fateful dip.

Let the iPhone bashing begin.:r:r:r again........yet.........still.

Had a friend who found one in the bay here, in the water. I guess whoever dropped it decided there was no point in retrieving it. My friend got it, let it dry out for a week or so and it works perfectly. Unless you know it's fried you might want to give it some time to dry out and see what happens...

Blueface
09-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Had a friend who found one in the bay here, in the water. I guess whoever dropped it decided there was no point in retrieving it. My friend got it, let it dry out for a week or so and it works perfectly. Unless you know it's fried you might want to give it some time to dry out and see what happens...

It definitely fried. No doubt in my mind.
It has now been four days since it happened and still won't turn on. Won't even acknowledge the charger when connected.

If this had been regular water or pool water, I would have opened it and aired it out.
Being salt water and for so many years seeing first hand what salt water can do to things, there is no doubt this phone is done.
Within a short while, the corrosion will begin.

McSmokey
09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I got mine at Best Buy, they have a "no fault insurance," that covers every sort of drink related mishaps, or generally poor judgement, outside of loss or theft.

me, "so if I wanted to get that guys attention over there by throwing my Iphone at him, you'll give me a new one?"

them, "well yeah, as long as you bring it in."

me, "I'll take it."

+1 I call it my football insurance in case my wife decides to use hers as a projectile like she did her last one during the Alabama/Auburn game last year.

bazookajoe
09-14-2010, 10:37 AM
It definitely fried. No doubt in my mind.
It has now been four days since it happened and still won't turn on. Won't even acknowledge the charger when connected.

If this had been regular water or pool water, I would have opened it and aired it out.
Being salt water and for so many years seeing first hand what salt water can do to things, there is no doubt this phone is done.
Within a short while, the corrosion will begin.

I'm sure it is a goner, just wanted to mention it as the one my friend found was in salt water too. Even though it's working no doubt over time the corrosion will take it's toll...

jovenhut
09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a http://www.squaretrade.com and it covers almost everything

Don Fernando
09-14-2010, 11:22 AM

It's cheap here (10 euro a month), and for the first year even for free as a loyalty deal from my provider.

shilala
09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Carlos, I sold one of the iPhones I took swimming in Key Largo for like $350 on ebay. I even explained it was in the salt water.
The other one I had to return to square trade, they gave me $350 for the other salt watered one.
I didn't get anything for the camera that went in with me. :D

Blueface
09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Carlos, I sold one of the iPhones I took swimming in Key Largo for like $350 on ebay. I even explained it was in the salt water.
The other one I had to return to square trade, they gave me $350 for the other salt watered one.
I didn't get anything for the camera that went in with me. :D

Are you serious? $350?
I forgot about your escapade here in Florida and also taking phones for a swim.
I may list it on Ebay and see what I get for it if someone is looking for "salty" parts.

MiamiE
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Carlos I hope you didn't dump your phone! I will buy it.

Blueface
09-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Carlos I hope you didn't dump your phone! I will buy it.

I am bewildered.
Scott sells his for $350 and you post this?
You can buy a perfectly brand new working one for $599.
Why on Earth would anyone pay Scott $350?
What am I missing?
Can you make Meth out of it or something?:r
Can we somehow turn it into Habanos?:r
I am going to shoot some photos and list it on Ebay later.
Darn thing looks perfect like the day it came out of the box. Just doesn't work. No biggie.:rolleyes:

Should I list it complete, with all the gadgets such as the cord, earbuds, etc?

pektel
09-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi, Billy Mays here!

Having problems with your iPhone? We HAVE your solution, right here, right now! Let me show it to you!

http://www.gizmodo.fr/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/applebrick.jpg

Yes, it's the amazing iBrick! This all in one tool solves all your iPhone problems swiftly and efficiently!

You simply place your iPhone on any hard surface, preferably concrete, and raise our exclusive iBrick above your head and slam it down on the phone. Yes, just SLAM IT DOWN! That's right. Most iPhone problems are resolved with JUST A SINGLE APPLICATION! For exceptionally stubbon phones, a second application might be necessary.

That's it! It's that simple! Just SLAM THE iBRICK DOWN!

You know it's quality because the iBrick is made in GERMANY!

How much would you expect to pay for this marvel of technological repair?

$39.95?
$49.95?
$59.95?

NO WAY! I'm Billy Mays and right here, right now, today, I'm here to tell you that you can forget all of that! You can have this AMAZING iBRICK for a MERE $19.95!!

YES, you heard that right! Just $19.95!

In fact, if you order now, I'll throw in a second iBrick free of charge!

That's right! TWO iBricks for the price of one!

That's not all though!

I'll include a FREE, yes absolutely FREE mini-dustpan and broom.

So that's TWO iBricks and a bonus mini-dustpan, all for $19.95*.

But, wait, there's MORE!

If you order in the next 30 minutes, I'll even throw in a mini-coke spoon!

That's one iBrick, plus FREE bonus iBrick, FREE mini-dustpan and broom and FREE mini-coke spoon! All for the low, low price of $19.95! That's TEN DOLLARS LESS than Apple charges! And you can FIX your OWN iPhone!

Call now, operators are standing by!

$19.95 includes iBrick, bonus free iBrick, mini-dustpan and broom, and bonus free mini-coke spoon. Shipping and handling extra, $39.95 to most locations. Offer valid for contentinental US only, void where prohibited,

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/Skiealbum/billymays.jpg

BigAsh
09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Carlos...moral of the story is your wife is "Aces"...tells you to quit b!tchin' and drop 6 bills on a new one....:tu....and I gotta say, being "un-wired" in the Keys ain't all that bad!

Blueface
09-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Carlos...moral of the story is your wife is "Aces"...tells you to quit b!tchin' and drop 6 bills on a new one....:tu....and I gotta say, being "un-wired" in the Keys ain't all that bad!

All true.

She even kicked in $100 she had floating around hidden for a rainy day.
Goes to show you, wine them, dine them, listen to them, plenty of foreplay............................the world is yours.:r

pektel
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM

:tpd:

I would be concentrated on other fantasies besides football while on vacation in the keys :D

Blueface
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM

I would be concentrated on other fantasies besides football while on vacation in the keys :D

I made sure I took care of all the other necessary activities.
Then made sure she fell asleep under a tree.
Then ran to the TV at the tiki bar.
Then wined her and dined her again.
There was nothing I could do that would get her angry at me.

I planned it well.:D

Don Fernando
09-14-2010, 03:45 PM

does she have a sister who's single and into fat European guys? If so, I would love to meet her :D

BigAsh
09-14-2010, 07:17 PM
does she have a sister who's single and into fat European guys? If so, I would love to meet her :D

:r:r:r:r

Samsquanch
09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Added mine to my renters insurance for $15 a year, covers anything that could happen to it. Loss, theft, breakage, a dip in the warm Atlantic ocean, etc. Oh and no deductible - sure beats Square Trade or ATT's plans.

Blueface
09-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Added mine to my renters insurance for $15 a year, covers anything that could happen to it. Loss, theft, breakage, a dip in the warm Atlantic ocean, etc. Oh and no deductible - sure beats Square Trade or ATT's plans.

Not sure I would go that route.
In Florida, insurance for a home is like buying gold.
Last thing you want is a claims history within a specified period depending on their risk management guidelines that eventually gets you canned and looking for new insurance. A phone is not worth that for us down here.

Samsquanch
09-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah that makes sense, I didn't realize how difficult it was to purchase home owners insurance in FL. For me with renters insurance however, even if they double my rate I'm only looking at $300/year. It would take 4 years of doubled rates for me to lose money on the deal (considering a $600 phone) and I believe your loss history only sticks with you for 3 years...at least in Washington state.

coffeemonkey
09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Put your iPhone in a ziplock bag with a bunch of silica gel, like, fill the ziplock bag with it to completely cover the phone (there are some types of cat litter that are all silica gel, cheaper way to buy it). Leave it in the bag for a few days and then try to use it.

The thing to do after dropping an electronic device in water is to not try to turn it on! That could fry it right there. If you are able to dry it out, many times the device will still work. Salt water? Maybe not, but it is worth a try.

Blueface
09-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Put your iPhone in a ziplock bag with a bunch of silica gel, like, fill the ziplock bag with it to completely cover the phone (there are some types of cat litter that are all silica gel, cheaper way to buy it). Leave it in the bag for a few days and then try to use it.

The thing to do after dropping an electronic device in water is to not try to turn it on! That could fry it right there. If you are able to dry it out, many times the device will still work. Salt water? Maybe not, but it is worth a try.

Thanks.
Only one problem.
Mine was already on when I went in the water.
It literally fried within seconds.
Got very, very hot and did not allow me to shut it off as all power was instantly gone.

MiamiE
09-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes list it complete with water damage. Nothing more, nothing less. ;) You could also try putting it in a bag with salt or silica gel. Try that for a few days. If you can get it to start up that's a few more bucks on EBay! ;)

forgop
09-17-2010, 11:09 AM

Never thought of this route so I just inquired with my agent. For $19/year, my homeowner policy will cover cell phones/laptops/computers under an umbrella policy for up to $5k w/ a $50 deductible. That's a great deal IMO as my 3 year old son has a tendency to throw things he gets his hands on.

shilala
09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
I am bewildered.
Scott sells his for $350 and you post this?
You can buy a perfectly brand new working one for $599.
Why on Earth would anyone pay Scott $350?
What am I missing?
Can you make Meth out of it or something?:r
Can we somehow turn it into Habanos?:r
I am going to shoot some photos and list it on Ebay later.
Darn thing looks perfect like the day it came out of the box. Just doesn't work. No biggie.:rolleyes:

Should I list it complete, with all the gadgets such as the cord, earbuds, etc?

Carlos, all I sold was the phone. No cords or earbuds or nothin.
What they do with them is beyond me. I have seen things on ebay where they'll take your busted, water damaged phone and replace it for a hundred bucks. Ive also heard rumor that Apple will do "out of warranty" replacement for a hundred bucks.
I had pulled mine apart and even mentioned that. And I mentioned it went in the ocean. Otherwise it was in pristine condition. I put pics on there and was completely honest.
When I got paid, I just about sh1t.
That also made me quit caring about what they do with them. I bet you'll get a lot more for your iPhone 4. Mine was a 32 GB 3GS.
Do a three day auction over the weekend. Then we can all watch you get rich. :D

Blueface
09-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Carlos, all I sold was the phone. No cords or earbuds or nothin.
What they do with them is beyond me. I have seen things on ebay where they'll take your busted, water damaged phone and replace it for a hundred bucks. Ive also heard rumor that Apple will do "out of warranty" replacement for a hundred bucks.
I had pulled mine apart and even mentioned that. And I mentioned it went in the ocean. Otherwise it was in pristine condition. I put pics on there and was completely honest.
When I got paid, I just about sh1t.
That also made me quit caring about what they do with them. I bet you'll get a lot more for your iPhone 4. Mine was a 32 GB 3GS.
Do a three day auction over the weekend. Then we can all watch you get rich. :D

I am going to list both my 4 and my 3G. The latter works fine.
I was waiting for the weekend and to allow two current water damaged listed phone auctions to expires.
Also called Apple to inquire if whoever gets it can turn it on and retrieve private information.
Turns out since I use a passcode feature all the time, they can only reset the phone and will lose all data.

Now what I am wondering is should I remove the SIM card? I forgot to ask about that and that little device may be retaining important stuff I may not want other to have.

09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
You forgot to download iFloat first. Maybe the new iWaterproof would have come in handy.

Sorry I know my jokes are lame. Its the best I can do being a PC geek for a living.

T.G
09-17-2010, 01:58 PM
You forgot to download iFloat first. Maybe the new iWaterproof would have come in handy.

Sorry I know my jokes are lame. Its the best I can do being a PC geek for a living.

iLOLed

poker
09-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Might still be salvageable. If you want, I know a guy personally who'll give it a shot.

sikk50
09-17-2010, 02:27 PM
iLOLed

As did i

T.G
09-17-2010, 03:04 PM
iDidToo

iFixedIt

shilala
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I am going to list both my 4 and my 3G. The latter works fine.
I was waiting for the weekend and to allow two current water damaged listed phone auctions to expires.
Also called Apple to inquire if whoever gets it can turn it on and retrieve private information.
Turns out since I use a passcode feature all the time, they can only reset the phone and will lose all data.

Now what I am wondering is should I remove the SIM card? I forgot to ask about that and that little device may be retaining important stuff I may not want other to have.

I'd keep the sim card and throw it away. I didn't send my sim card along with the phone, I'm sure.
If anyone ultimately uses the phone, they'll drop their sim card in it.
Covers your ass, too. :tu

Blueface
09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
iLOLed

As did i

iFixedIt

For many of us happy iPhone users, it is more like:
iAwesome
iBest
iLoveit
iHaveit
iYouDon't
;)

How could I forget:
iWoulddoitalloveragainandpayanother$600ifsomething happeedtothisnewonebecauseitisthatdarngoodtohave

VirtualSmitty
09-18-2010, 12:33 PM
iLovemypoorreception :r

68TriShield
09-18-2010, 12:41 PM
I doubt Apple will honor floaters :r

Blueface
09-18-2010, 01:59 PM
iLovemypoorreception :r

Joe, I honestly wish I knew what that was all about.
In three years or so of owning iPhones, I have yet to ever need to make a call from anywhere I have been where I have not had reception.
As I mentioned in other threads, just to name a few places:
Anywhere in Central to South Florida (in fact, in Key Largo this past weekend, before mine went diving, my wife's Verizon had zero reception from the hotel and mine was fine.
Pensacola
Atlanta
Mobile
Charlotte
Savannah
Nashville
NYC/Long Island
NJ (northern part, near NY to Bridgewater)
Hampton, NH
Maine
Chicago
Indianapolis
Phoenix
Dallas/Ft. Worth
LA area (LA/Anaheim/Diamond Bar)
Sacramento
Portland
Seattle
Salt Lake City
Las Vegas
Denver
San Francisco
San Jose
Austin
Houston

....and quite a few more I frankly don't remember.

So, while I certainly don't doubt there may be areas of bad reception, I can attest that I have never had a problem and I have traveled very frequently to many of these places.
In fact, my business cell has always been with AT&T and I have used that lots before I ever got an iPhone, with no problems.

I must be the luckiest guy on Earth or the reception issue is more BS than reality.

Oh wait, I now remember.
One time, at band camp, I was in an elevator, 15 floors under ground, surrounded by lead, and I recall not having reception.

BTW,
Although I mentioned it, let me restate it. My household has two AT&T cell accounts and one Verizon.
I kept my wife on Verizon due to my daughter so they can talk and save my daughter some money.
When the wife and I travel, we have both carriers available to us.
If anything I have ever noticed is hers experiences more reception issues than mine does.
Go figure.

Blueface
09-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Might still be salvageable. If you want, I know a guy personally who'll give it a shot.

Kelly,
Thanks.
Still thinking what I will do.
I am already into the new one so I think to sell it may be best.
On the other hand, if he can fix it, I may be able to get more money if it then works or I can save it for the next time I go swimming.
Will PM you.

floydpink
09-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Speakin of reception, the building I work in supposedly has no cel phone reception as it is reinforced with steel rebar and is supposedly able to withstand a cat 4 hurricane and was where we had evacuation for Hurricane Charlie.

I have never had trouble making or recieving calls on my iPhone 3 from the building and work alongside people on Verizon and other carriers who can't get a signal. Specifically, a coworker with the Driod. That same worker finds delight in telling me how much better her droid is due to all kinds of technical advancements she claims the Iphone lacks. Her texting is also brought to new levels due to the keyboard on her Droid. Any 15-30 year old texting fans would certainly be jealous of her ability to text and carry on a conversation at he same time. Me? Blech!

Not my intention to sound like an Iphone fanboy, but all this reception talk seems a little silly for me, an Iphone owner, coming from folks who never owned one.

VirtualSmitty
09-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Joe, I honestly wish I knew what that was all about.
In three years or so of owning iPhones, I have yet to ever need to make a call from anywhere I have been where I have not had reception.

Hey, it's a new problem for me. I never had a problem with my old edge iPhone. Five bars just about everywhere, I was even getting calls and texts when I was out in Volcano National park Hawaii. My girlfriend got me an iphone 4 for my bday and it has been anything but good reception wise. I've never seen it hit five bars, I get one bar at my place (old phone had five bars) to no service consistently, and my dropped call rate has gone way up. I thought maybe I had a bum phone, but i'm now on my second device and it still sucks. It's really frustrating, I live in the tristate area, no reason for such crap service. And i've done a round robin with the different iphones here, mine is the only one that sucks service wise. My girlfriends 3GS has five bars here, my old phone five bars, my sisters old 3G no problem, me no service. Did a herf with Yachties at Jr's the other night, guess what, his 3GS full service, me at one bar to no service :r

I really regret giving away my old iPhone. This 4 model is a cool toy with a beautiful display, but I find it seriously sucks as a phone.

Blueface
09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Well, iPhone 4 may not be grateful about a swim, may cost $599 plus tax to replace if lost, but man does it recover almost all that on Ebay, damaged, AS IS.
Not sure what they do with it. Not sure I really care. Waiting with open arms for that PP payment to hit.

09-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Well, iPhone 4 may not be grateful about a swim, may cost $599 plus tax to replace if lost, but man does it recover almost all that on Ebay, damaged, AS IS.
Not sure what they do with it. Not sure I really care. Waiting with open arms for that PP payment to hit.

Maybe there are a lot of iSuckers

Blueface
09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe there are a lot of iSuckers

Yup. That has got to be it for sure.
Out of all the things on Earth one could have imagined, yup, that would definitely have to be the one.
Thanks for letting me know.
It was killing me to find out.:rolleyes:

shilala
09-29-2010, 02:02 PM
iToldyaso. :r

shilala
09-29-2010, 02:07 PM
I talk on the phone and text at the same time on my iPhone. Maybe she just doesn't know you can do that? I can talk, take pics and text them to whoever I'm talking to, even. Or email them, or whatever.
It hadn't even occurred to me that a person couldn't do that with any phone. I guess I forgot.

Speakin of reception, the building I work in supposedly has no cel phone reception as it is reinforced with steel rebar and is supposedly able to withstand a cat 4 hurricane and was where we had evacuation for Hurricane Charlie.

I have never had trouble making or recieving calls on my iPhone 3 from the building and work alongside people on Verizon and other carriers who can't get a signal. Specifically, a coworker with the Driod. That same worker finds delight in telling me how much better her droid is due to all kinds of technical advancements she claims the Iphone lacks. Her texting is also brought to new levels due to the keyboard on her Droid. Any 15-30 year old texting fans would certainly be jealous of her ability to text and carry on a conversation at he same time. Me? Blech!

Not my intention to sound like an Iphone fanboy, but all this reception talk seems a little silly for me, an Iphone owner, coming from folks who never owned one.

09-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Yup. That has got to be it for sure.
Out of all the things on Earth one could have imagined, yup, that would definitely have to be the one.
Thanks for letting me know.
It was killing me to find out.:rolleyes:

Sorry I should have noted it was just a joke. I can rarely resist Apple related pokes.

All in good fun.

aich75013
09-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I talk on the phone and text at the same time on my iPhone. Maybe she just doesn't know you can do that? I can talk, take pics and text them to whoever I'm talking to, even. Or email them, or whatever.
It hadn't even occurred to me that a person couldn't do that with any phone. I guess I forgot.

Me too.
A few months ago, I was sitting in my backyard on a conference call. I sent a few e-mails, sent a few texts, and surfed CA (while having a cigar of course.) All while listening and participating in the call.
I guess you can say I have a slight case of ADD.

Blueface
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Sorry I should have noted it was just a joke. I can rarely resist Apple related pokes.

All in good fun.

All good.;)

iToldyaso. :r

Scott,
I am blown away by this.
I have no clue what they do with them but God bless them.
Mine just sold for $416, clearly explaining not working, water damage and even clarified, salt water damage.
America is a very good country.

Now trying to sell my working 3G to see if I can pay for the new phone in its entirety.

shilala
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Scott,
I am blown away by this.
I have no clue what they do with them but God bless them.
Mine just sold for $416, clearly explaining not working, water damage and even clarified, salt water damage.
America is a very good country.

Now trying to sell my working 3G to see if I can pay for the new phone in its entirety.
It sure does make it a lot less painful, that's for sure.
I can tell you I was just as shocked as you when mine sold so high, and was real apprehensive about getting paid, but it showed up real quick. I checked the guy's feedback and he'd bought a number of damaged phones and had great feedback.
I'm sure they have an angle, I mentioned a couple I've heard about. Regardless, they can't be making a big profit. Maybe a hundred bucks a phone, or a little more. The way I figure is that they're doing a damn fine service to blockheads like me and you. :D

Blueface
09-29-2010, 02:44 PM
It sure does make it a lot less painful, that's for sure.
I can tell you I was just as shocked as you when mine sold so high, and was real apprehensive about getting paid, but it showed up real quick. I checked the guy's feedback and he'd bought a number of damaged phones and had great feedback.
I'm sure they have an angle, I mentioned a couple I've heard about. Regardless, they can't be making a big profit. Maybe a hundred bucks a phone, or a little more. The way I figure is that they're doing a damn fine service to blockheads like me and you. :D

Well, I learned my lesson. Working on getting my new one some swimming lessons.:D

Blueface
09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20017417-37.html

jdakine
09-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Took me two days to stop thinking about it. Man I was pissed at myself. On the third day, wife convinced me to go get another one. In the meantime, I spent three days in the keys, without my phone, without my email, without my fantasy football scores. Man I was lost!!!

Being in the keys without a phone or email access for a few days would be a thing of Beauty. :tu

Blueface
09-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Being in the keys without a phone or email access for a few days would be a thing of Beauty. :tu

In my case, I was forced to have sex as it was my anniversary and not much else to do with no phone.
What a tough time.:r:r:r

G G
10-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Well i have almost decided to sell my iphone 3gs 16gb on craigslist to upgrade to the iphone 4. As long as i can get at least $200.00 for it I will not have to spend anything out of pocket to get it, which is just fine for me. Should I?

And then the question is I have a lot of apps that cost a little money, so I assume I can do a backup and then transfer them to the new one? Anyone done this and how did it work?

tenbaseg
10-04-2010, 05:05 AM
And then the question is I have a lot of apps that cost a little money, so I assume I can do a backup and then transfer them to the new one? Anyone done this and how did it work?

Just sync/backup your old phone before you setup your new one. Make sure you have the apps syncing in itunes (which you should by default).

Aside from that, just plug the new one in and everything transfers. You may have a couple apps or game progress that have data that won't transfer. That's a limitation of the app, not apple. The app will come over, just the data inside it might not.

floydpink
10-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Just got back from Clearwater Beach and the offshore boat races.

Took the family on a sunset dolphin cruise and the guy next to me was video recording the pod of dolphins playing in our wake on his iPhone 4.

He was a nice guy and was showing me all the new features and convinced me this is a geat phone.

He also was showing me lots of little tricks I didn't know about like pushing your home key, then the sleep key and a screen shot is saved in your camera roll. This is a cool feature I will probably constantly use. Even works on my 3G, just never knew.

He had his in the Otterbox for the 4 and it is a hell of a lot nicer Otterbox than the one on the 3G.

Final verdict is that I will be probably be upgrading soon.

Blueface
10-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Well i have almost decided to sell my iphone 3gs 16gb on craigslist to upgrade to the iphone 4. As long as i can get at least $200.00 for it I will not have to spend anything out of pocket to get it, which is just fine for me. Should I?

Just sold my "wet" iPhone 4, fully disclosed as having salt water damage and not working, for $416.09 plus shipping.
I then sold my 3G, not the GS, for $170.00 plus shipping.

Both sold on Ebay. Both buyers already paid via PP. List them with no reserve, starting at .99 cents and watch it get crazy towards the end of the auction. I listed both for 7 days.

America is a great country!!!

replicant_argent
10-04-2010, 08:07 AM
In my case, I was forced to have sex as it was my anniversary and not much else to do with no phone.
What a tough time.:r:r:r

is it still sex if it is by yourself, Carlos?

Still a good thread. ;)

shilala
10-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Just sold my "wet" iPhone 4, fully disclosed as having salt water damage and not working, for $416.09 plus shipping.
I then sold my 3G, not the GS, for $170.00 plus shipping.

Both sold on Ebay. Both buyers already paid via PP. List them with no reserve, starting at .99 cents and watch it get crazy towards the end of the auction. I listed both for 7 days.

America is a great country!!!
Well done, my man. :tu
Now I bet you wouldn't have put out so quick, huh? :r

G G
10-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I put my Iphone 3GS 16 GB on craigslist this morning for $325 and got one email with characters i couldn't understand, one email from what I believe to be a scammer wanting me to send it overseas and buying it for his cousin and he aint in the country blah blah blah and another email from a guy who is willing to give me $250.00 and he wants to meet at the apple store and have them check it out. I am gonna sell it to him. Get a new I phone 4 16 GB and have $50.00 left in my pocket aint to shabby, and I am an impatient feller so that aint too bad in my book.

Don Fernando
10-06-2010, 03:26 AM
you should have tried ebay, from what I've heard less scammers there than on graigslist.

Blueface
10-06-2010, 08:00 AM
you should have tried ebay, from what I've heard less scammers there than on graigslist.

I agree.
You can rely on PP for guaranteed payment and can limit out of country buyers.

G G
10-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Gonna meet the guy Friday at the apple store and get the new one while i'm there.

Blueface
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Interesting.
All the hater BS and reception crap and then these results come up in surveys.
5.2% had reception problems.
Amazing how that had been blown up to be so much worse by haters.
No wonder I have never had reception problems. I am in the 94.8%.

IPhone four Some love it, others hate it. Already has had a first big affair. And as this product is perceived by its owners?

Changewave Research Society conducted a survey of satisfaction among customers.Interviewed were several hundred, and all of them are iPhone owners 4th The question was thus perhaps at all – as you are happy with him? 72% of owners responded that the iPhone 4 satisfied, 21% reported relative satisfaction and only six percent of respondents are dissatisfied.

Ostensibly they are a high number, compared to predecessors iPhone 3GS what a loss position. In his case it was 82% of owners of very satisfied and 17% relatively satisfied.Dissatisfied and remained at a mere percentage.

Interesting was also the question of the respondents, whether experienced problems with the antenna. Of those surveyed reported is 5.2%, which on one hand is not huge quantities, but the fact that communication problems or having everyone twentieth, not the best card for Apple.

G G
10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Well for better or worse unless something goes badly wrong I should be upgraded to the new Iphone in less than 24 hours.