PDA

View Full Version : torch and cutter, in flight carry on?

Devanmc
09-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Well Im planning a trip home to visit my girl and family. Going to bring a few sticks back with me in a small travelador, which should be no problem at all. I am concerned however, about bringing my new xikar Xi2 and torch on the flight with me as im only bringing 1 bag(my carry on). Whats been everyone's experience with security handling cigar cutters and torches?

Note: security will be a bit lighter on me as i am military traveling in uniform.

forgop
09-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Your cutter should be fine, but the torch will most likely be confiscated. My advice would be to leave the lighter at home and buy a gas station special when you get home for $5 or less. For crying out loud, TSA took my shave gel on Friday, so what do you think they'll do with a torch lighter?

bobarian
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Torches are not allowed, if its a nice lighter no reason to take the risk although they seldom get confiscated. Cutters are also problematic. They are allowed but enforcing the rules is at the discretion of the TSA agent. If they decide to take it you cant argue with them. Put them in your checked luggage or leave at home and get them when you arrive. :2

icehog3
09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Torches are not allowed, if its a nice lighter no reason to take the risk although they seldom get confiscated. Cutters are also problematic. They are allowed but enforcing the rules is at the discretion of the TSA agent. If they decide to take it you cant argue with them. Put them in your checked luggage or leave at home and get them when you arrive. :2

Yup....a Bic ain't a torch, if they see the torch lighter it is as good as gone. I would just bring a cheapie cutter, I wouldn't risk my Palio or Xikar, there is too much inconsistency amongst individual TSA agents.

14holestogie
09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Yep, torches are a no-no. Not even allowed in checked baggage.
I have managed to sneak a Ronson through buried in my golf bag, but I'd never risk a pricier lighter.

I wouldn't risk an expensive cutter, either. That usually depends on the mood of the TSA agent whether it's allowed in carry-ons.

Chingas
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Yup....a Bic ain't a torch, if they see the torch lighter it is as good as gone. I would just bring a cheapie cutter, I wouldn't risk my Palio or Xikar, there is too much inconsistency amongst individual TSA agents.

Agreed!

Cheap cutter, cheap lighter or buy it there and toss it.

I've never had a problem with either but it's not worth it. I deal with the same crap cause I carry two pocket knives, always. So I leave them in the car and buy some cheapies when I land. I gift them before I get back on the plane to go home.

pektel
09-13-2010, 07:15 PM
i'd just mail them to your destination, and mail them back before you leave.
Posted via Mobile Device

Devanmc
09-13-2010, 07:18 PM
alright, thanks for the advice guys. Just to reassure my self, there is no problem with a 5c xikar travelador(link (http://www.famous-smoke.com/xikar+x+treme+5+count+cigar+humidor/item+28383)) with some sticks in it, right?

14holestogie
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
alright, thanks for the advice guys. Just to reassure my self, there is no problem with a 5c xikar travelador(link (http://www.famous-smoke.com/xikar+x+treme+5+count+cigar+humidor/item+28383)) with some sticks in it, right?

No worries with carrying sticks on. :tu

bobarian
09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
No worries with carrying sticks on. :tu

:tpd: 'Cept that five ain't enough! :D

Devanmc
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
:tpd: 'Cept that five ain't enough! :D

its just a weekend trip, plan to have one with my girl and maybe one with her dad when i meet him. no need for more, atleast not yet :rolleyes:

dwoodward
09-13-2010, 08:35 PM
its just a weekend trip, plan to have one with my girl and maybe one with her dad when i meet him. no need for more, atleast not yet :rolleyes:

Hehe, better bring a cigar FOR her dad.

I'd fill that traveldor lol. If you like Rocky Patels, I am able to fit 6 of their box pressed cigars in my 5ct traveldor if I turn them sideways.

icehog3
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Yep, torches are a no-no. Not even allowed in checked baggage.

Unless they are in one of the approved containers that conform to DOT-SP 14327. I have one made by Colibri.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/TRANZPACK.jpg

Mugen910
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
They will take everything from yous!

:r

J/K.

I carry a cheap plastic cutter and buy matches when I land. Problem solved.
Posted via Mobile Device

bvilchez
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Same as everyone said above but don't think that just because you're in uniform you'll get some slack. Worse thing you can do is argue with them, lose, and damage it for the rest of the service members (not saying it'll happen but be careful).

As far as carrying sticks with you go ahead....hell I'm at the airport right now with about 15-20 of Cuba's finest (sticks that is).
Posted via Mobile Device

Barcode
09-13-2010, 11:09 PM
My nephew just came back from Vegas and tried to bring 2 cutters he got for me and his Dad in his carry on bag and TSA said NO.

icehog3
09-13-2010, 11:12 PM
My nephew just came back from Vegas and tried to bring 2 cutters he got for me and his Dad in his carry on bag and TSA said NO.

Yup, it can be a crapshoot with the TSA agents who don't understand their own policies...so I don't chance it with my good cutters.

dwoodward
09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
The best advice I can give it use common sense... if it is even remotely dangerous... a torch could start a fire or a cutter could slice someones finger off, just put it in your checked luggage. Also, put it in a top pocket, don't bury it, because if they scan it and have to look for it, at least you might not be missing something else that fell on the ground while they were looking.

sevans105
09-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Guillotine cutters can (and probably will) be snagged. Have never had a problem with a punch cutter...especially one on a key chain and I fly 2 to 3 times a week with it. Get a good punch cutter, get used to using it and buy a Jetlite for 4 bucks at walmart when you arrive.

pektel
09-14-2010, 04:18 AM
i just picked up a ronson from walnart last night. 2.94 plus tax. Came loaded with fuel too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Devanmc
09-14-2010, 04:18 AM
Same as everyone said above but don't think that just because you're in uniform you'll get some slack.

Yeah i understand. I was just mentioning it because previously i have gotten slack(lack of them really checking my stuff) because i was in uniform. Idk if thats normal but it was worth mentioning.

Bill86
09-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Agreed!

Cheap cutter, cheap lighter or buy it there and toss it.

I've never had a problem with either but it's not worth it. I deal with the same crap cause I carry two pocket knives, always. So I leave them in the car and buy some cheapies when I land. I gift them before I get back on the plane to go home.

I hear ya, I wouldn't even THINK to take my Strider SMF on the plane with me. I would mail you're good **** to where ever you go.....cutters/lighters/knives whatever....and mail it back to your house afterwards. Especially if you're staying a few weeks. What does it cost $5-$7 bucks both ways? Don't risk your good stuff, ship it or don't but there's always cheapies that will get you by.

forgop
09-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Yup, it can be a crapshoot with the TSA agents who don't understand their own policies...so I don't chance it with my good cutters.

I'd pull this up on my iPhone real quick if some TSA idiot wanted to pull my cutter out of my carry on:

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohibited_and_permitted_items_10-24-07.pdf

forgop
09-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Guillotine cutters can (and probably will) be snagged. Have never had a problem with a punch cutter...especially one on a key chain and I fly 2 to 3 times a week with it. Get a good punch cutter, get used to using it and buy a Jetlite for 4 bucks at walmart when you arrive.

Back in '99, I was going through customs while on military orders in Germany. I played hell getting that through even though I opened it up to show them it wasn't a real casing.

sevans105
09-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Back in '99, I was going through customs while on military orders in Germany. I played hell getting that through even though I opened it up to show them it wasn't a real casing.

Lol. Yeah. Probably not a good idea to get one shaped like an actual bullet! Cool for home, crappy for travel.

icehog3
09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I'd pull this up on my iPhone real quick if some TSA idiot wanted to pull my cutter out of my carry on:

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohibited_and_permitted_items_10-24-07.pdf

Good luck "reasoning" with an uptight TSA agent. :rolleyes:

Mugen910
09-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Good luck "reasoning" with an uptight TSA agent. :rolleyes:

:tpd:

it's not worth the hassle or fight. Just get on the plane and spend the $ when you land.

aich75013
09-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Last time I went to Vegas, I tossed a cheap cutter in my travel humi which was in my carry-on.
I didn't have any issues, but I didn't really care if they took it. I wasn't going to risk my Palio or Xikar and I'm not going to argue with the TSA Agent.

I was meeting a friend in Vegas who had a lighter, so I didn't bother trying to take one. Backup plan was to buy a cheapie there.

Devanmc
09-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Hehe, better bring a cigar FOR her dad.

that indeed is the plan. bringing 4sticks back with me.

lbowles2
09-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Unless they are in one of the approved containers that conform to DOT-SP 14327. I have one made by Colibri.

Hehe... I just got done posting this on another thread :tu

I have used one of these a couple of times with no problem. I just packed it in my check-in luggage. I kind of doubt it would be allowed in carry on though.

itzfrank
09-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Why not just pre-cut the cigars before packing them? You can even check for a surprise draw problem before you leave.
xD

tsolomon
09-14-2010, 11:25 AM
My wife has been traveling a lot lately with her Xikar cutter in her purse and they finally caught it last week on her way to SLC. A number of the TSA agents looked it over and then allowed her to keep it. She stored in her checked bag for the trip home. :2

itzfrank
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
If it were an open blade, it would be much different. however, the only real damage you could do with a cutter would be the removal of fingers and toes. It would be very hard to take over a plane with a cutter.

aich75013
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
If it were an open blade, it would be much different. however, the only real damage you could do with a cutter would be the removal of fingers and toes. It would be very hard to take over a plane with a cutter.

I'd like to see that explanation to the TSA Agent. "Oh come on, the worst I could do is cut off a finger or toe." :r

bobarian
09-14-2010, 12:27 PM

I'd like to see that explanation to the TSA Agent. "Oh come on, the worst I could do is cut off a finger or toe." :r

TSA agents can act at their own discretion, they do not need to explain their decisions. They can confiscate items even if they are on the approved list. I am not sure why you would risk anything of value just to "test" the system. :2

aich75013
09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
TSA agents can act at their own discretion, they do not need to explain their decisions. They can confiscate items even if they are on the approved list. I am not sure why you would risk anything of value just to "test" the system. :2

I had a small pocket knife in my backpack once.
The agent asked me about it and gave me the option of mailing it home. She was very nice. I explained it was a cheap pocket knife and not worth the cost of shipping.

St. Lou Stu
09-14-2010, 12:34 PM

If you were going to cut one of my digits off I would hand the plane over.

icehog3
09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Hehe... I just got done posting this on another thread :tu

I have used one of these a couple of times with no problem. I just packed it in my check-in luggage. I kind of doubt it would be allowed in carry on though.

Correct....Checked luggage only.

TheRuckus13
09-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Well Im planning a trip home to visit my girl and family. Going to bring a few sticks back with me in a small travelador, which should be no problem at all. I am concerned however, about bringing my new xikar Xi2 and torch on the flight with me as im only bringing 1 bag(my carry on). Whats been everyone's experience with security handling cigar cutters and torches?

Note: security will be a bit lighter on me as i am military traveling in uniform.

Don't risk either, regulation says the cutter should be fine. However, my sister was TSA or whatever and out of confusion or trolling they would take them from people all the time. Half the time the guards are shady and if they can make sense out of confiscating something that's perfectly okay to have they will just so they can have it for themselves.

T.Rit
09-14-2010, 06:54 PM

I Never had this problem the last 2 or so years on transatlantic flights. I put my torch in my toiletry bag, and the bag in my check-in luggage. Guess I should be more careful next time.

icehog3
09-14-2010, 11:31 PM
I Never had this problem the last 2 or so years on transatlantic flights. I put my torch in my toiletry bag, and the bag in my check-in luggage. Guess I should be more careful next time.

I never did in the past either...I would put my torch in a jeans' pocket in my checked bag and never lost one. But now that I have the Tranzpack, might as well use it.

XTRazzer
09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Will the Tranzpack hold a Blazer CG-001 or PB-207? Otherwise, what lighters will it hold?

Is it true that Colibri will no longer be offering this case to the US market?

Devanmc
09-18-2010, 03:00 PM

i wouldnt worry to much about this, it seems just about anything you want(sold in the US or not) can be ordered online or bought used.

icehog3
09-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Will the Tranzpack hold a Blazer CG-001 or PB-207? Otherwise, what lighters will it hold?

Yes, it will hold either, I have used mine for both.

I have heard nothing about Colibri not selling these in the U.S.

Devanmc
09-20-2010, 04:37 PM
finally got the rest of my order

50count traveldor
5count traveldor
digital hygrometer(will be placed in foam cut out)

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/devanmc436/DSCF0089.jpg

the cigars have sadly been just sitting in bags until today. figure this is best until i settle down with a permanent unit. i dont see a wood humidor making it threw travel very well.

SvilleKid
09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
figure this is best until i settle down with a permanent unit. i dont see a wood humidor making it threw travel very well.

Given your situation, the travel probably involved in your future, you have probably the best set-up with these! You can remove the foam for more capacity when not traveling, and put it back when you need to travel with the big case.

Have a safe trip back home!