PDA

View Full Version : Opinions regarding Mexico?

Texan in Mexico
09-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Good day to all:

This thread is a bit self-serving as I am working together with the partners of my company to guide us through a pretty rough patch at the moment.

The majority of our business is in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa and Vallarta. Another portion in the Eastern Caribbean.

If I may I would like to ask a few general questions:

What is your perception of Mexico?

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?
If not, why?

Would you feel safe in Mexico?

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis
Posted via Mobile Device

hotreds
09-12-2010, 10:44 AM
A country in chaos with the drug cartels winning the war.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? No.

If not, why?
Safety, and, frankly, I want to see more of the USA before I venture out of the States.

No, unless you stay in one of those vacation "compounds" I've heard about.

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?
Plus: Many that have vacationed there loved it. Minus:safety and the chaos one hears about. Also the fact that water is unpotable.

akumushi
09-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I used to go to Mexico all the time with my family as a kid; San Felipe, Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas were all great places for fishing and relaxing. Even up to five years ago I would have felt perfectly safe. My uncle lives in Cabo San Lucas half the year and I know that town is perfectly safe. I would probably go to Cancun and stay on the resorts, but every report I hear from the state department is to not leave the resorts. I wouldn't travel anywhere near Ciudad Juarez if you paid me, all accounts make it sound like a war zone. Tijuana is only 30-40 miles from my home but I can't justify going down there just to pick up some smokes when the cartels are waging war on a corrupt and incompetent police force. I'm sure that most of Mexico is still largely unaffected by those pundejos, but when there are lots of other sun-drenched, inexepensive getaways to choose from, and with our own state department advising us to stay away, it's hard to get excited about a Mexican getaway.

Texan in Mexico
09-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Gracias por tus respuestas hotreds. Te agradezco mucho hermano.

Thanks aki.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sauer Grapes
09-12-2010, 10:49 AM
A country in chaos with the drug cartels winning the war. Not safe to visit.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? No. Why go to Mexico when I could just go to the Caribbean and be safer.

If not, why?
Safety, and, frankly, I would rather go back to the Caribbean, Hawaii or another country.

Plus: Many that have vacationed there loved it. Minus:safety and the chaos one hears about. Also the fact that water is unpotable.

Cigarcop
09-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I've been to Mexico at least a dozen times fishing and relaxing...Best time I had and nicest location by far was Riviera Maya...I also enjoyed visiting Playa and walking thru the streets.

gettysburgfreak
09-12-2010, 12:25 PM
No chance in hell would I ever go there.

AD720
09-12-2010, 12:53 PM
We are planning on Riviera Maya for the winter holidays for a belated honeymoon, have to do some serious number crunching though. Can't wait.

Perception: No preconceptions, going open minded.

Vacation: Absolutely, see above.

Safety: As long as we are in the places we are supposed to be in no worries at all.

Pluses: Money goes further, shorter flights, less weather worries - hurricanes, etc.

Minuses: Ask we when we get back.:D

Ahbroody
09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
What is your perception of Muexico?
A country in chaos with the drug cartels winning the war. Not safe to visit.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? No. Why go to Mexico when I could just go to the Caribbean and be safer.

If not, why?
Safety, and, frankly, I would rather go back to the Caribbean, Hawaii or another country.

Pretty much this. As perspective I work with mexicans. Some born in Mexico all with family in Mexico. None are going to Mexico. Their own family members are telling them not to come.

I have family who have timeshares there and I could go for free. They are not using it. They are scared.I would not go. I dont want to worry on vacation thats not a vacation. Who wants to worry about being killed or kidnapped ransomed and killed in the end on vacation. As someone in law enforcement who has a fair amount of info on the situation. HELL NO! If I was going to vacation in Mexico it will be after the gov wins the war. Lets be honest that wont happen and if it does it will be 5 plus years.

gettysburgfreak
09-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Pretty much this. As perspective I work with mexicans. Some born in Mexico all with family in Mexico. None are going to Mexico. Their own family members are telling them not to come.

I have family who have timeshares there and I could go for free. They are not using it. They are scared.I would not go. I dont want to worry on vacation thats not a vacation. Who wants to worry about being killed or kidnapped ransomed and killed in the end on vacation. As someone in law enforcement who has a fair amount of info on the situation. HELL NO! If I was going to vacation in Mexico it will be after the gov wins the war. Lets be honest that wont happen and if it does it will be 5 plus years.

I share the same view as you on this. I see pictures almost every day it seems from drug cartel shootouts that the general public doesn't have access to and the scope of the violence is absolutely ridiculous and sick. I have no need to cross the border into that country.

sevans105
09-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Good day to all:

This thread is a bit self-serving as I am working together with the partners of my company to guide us through a pretty rough patch at the moment.

The majority of our business is in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa and Vallarta. Another portion in the Eastern Caribbean.

Sadly, I have to agree with the previous posts. The news from Mexico is really quite bad. Even National Geographic just did a piece on the Death Cults that are part of the drug culture down there.
If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?Probably not. Too many other places to choose from with much less threat of violence.
If not, why?

Would you feel safe in Mexico? I used to. As a teenager, my friends and I would drive down to Puerto Penasco from Tempe with no worries at all. Obviously, the border is and always has been a bit sketchy, but there is no way I'd make that same trip now. The Narcos own the border lands. Way too scary.

Plus: Close, major resorts are developed and supposedly safe. Minus: Everything else. The violence, the drug trade, the corruption. Also, for the same $$$ you can go to a Caribbean resort with much less worry. Puerto Rico is a phenomenal alternative, and everything WORKS.
Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis

neoflex
09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I took a cruise with the wife this summer that two of the five destinations were in Mexico. (Cozumel and Costa Maya) Both my wife and I were excited to finally visit Mexico. After visiting both locations we both agreed that Mexico would be one of the last destinations we ever plan for a vacation in the future. Don't get me wrong there were beautiful spots at both places but at both we were actually excited to head back to the ship. For us the most annoying part was the fact that we could not walk down the street without being practically harassed to buy what most would consider junk. Even passing people for the fourth time and saying No thank you the first three you would think they would get the hint when they clearly recognize you since they say things like Are you ready now? I know most people we spoke to on the boat had the same feeling as us and most headed back to the ship early those days. We were at the one shopping mall that the ship recommends in Cozumel and while walking around some guy was following us around. It was when he followed us into the third store that I asked him if I could help him with something and if there wasn't anything I could help him with than he needs to stop following us. The two Mexico destinations were the only two places that my wife didn't feel safe. We both agreed that if we never went back to Mexico(at least the two locations that we visited) it would be too soon. The best part of Cozumel was LCDH and Chankanaab. Had I been able to find LCDH right of way and went straight to Chankanaab right after we may not have had the experiences we had there but we walked around downtown Cozumel for three hours too many and it gave us a bad taste.

hotreds
09-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Gracias por tus respuestas hotreds. Te agradezco mucho hermano.
Posted via Mobile Device

De nada. Lo siento, pero eso es para mi la realdad en Mexico.

SvilleKid
09-12-2010, 01:57 PM
What is your perception of Mexico? Same as those above; a country in trouble because of the drug lord terrorists.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? I would not rule out Mexico, and have been there within last 6 months.
If not, why?

Would you feel safe in Mexico? Depends on the location. Tourist compounds, yes. Border areas with the U.S. - Not no, but hell no!

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination? Pluses: History that is as old as many of the world's oldest. The everyday people I have met were more than friendly and welcoming. Very price affordable. Negatives: Drug lords gone off the deep end; a police/military force that has been corrupt for so long that the current drug situation could reach the level it has reached, and a government that is spending it's energies blaming the U.S. for all it's woes, instead of cleaning up it's own problems.

sikk50
09-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Honestly right now I'm scared to death to venture to Mexico

SvilleKid
09-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I took a cruise with the wife this summer that two of the five destinations were in Mexico. (Cozumel and Costa Maya) Both my wife and I were excited to finally visit Mexico. After visiting both locations we both agreed that Mexico would be one of the last destinations we ever plan for a vacation in the future. Don't get me wrong there were beautiful spots at both places but at both we were actually excited to head back to the ship. For us the most annoying part was the fact that we could not walk down the street without being practically harassed to buy what most would consider junk. Even passing people for the fourth time and saying No thank you the first three you would think they would get the hint when they clearly recognize you since they say things like Are you ready now? I know most people we spoke to on the boat had the same feeling as us and most headed back to the ship early those days. We were at the one shopping mall that the ship recommends in Cozumel and while walking around some guy was following us around. It was when he followed us into the third store that I asked him if I could help him with something and if there wasn't anything I could help him with than he needs to stop following us. The two Mexico destinations were the only two places that my wife didn't feel safe. We both agreed that if we never went back to Mexico(at least the two locations that we visited) it would be too soon. The best part of Cozumel was LCDH and Chankanaab. Had I been able to find LCDH right of way and went straight to Chankanaab right after we may not have had the experiences we had there but we walked around downtown Cozumel for three hours too many and it gave us a bad taste.

I guess it just depends on the place and the time! My wife and I were at both those locations in the spring from a cruise, and didn't have a single "hawker" approach us on the streets. Had half a dozen trying to sell me glass-top cuban cigars within the malls, but after disclosing (loudly) to my co-shoppers why these were fakes, They stopped approaching me totally!!! Also, we made excursion plans outside of the normal cruise ship channels, and left the ship after the crush of the main crowd. Wonder if the "hawkers" had already been siphoned off? Don't know if that's a plausible reason for the difference or not. Maybe we looked too muck like the rednecks we are!!!:D

loki
09-12-2010, 02:15 PM
about as unsafe as it has been for years.
If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?
If not, why?
would much rather go back to Jamaica.
no, but i don't really feel safe in the US either
plus: none. minus: can't drink the water

KidRock
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
What is your perception of Mexico? It is not safe for Americans due to the fact kidnappings happen constantly.

If not, why?

No. I have been there and was not crazy about it. I would rather vacation in Las Vegas than Mexico

The first time I went there, I did not feel safe. There where locals on the docks of the ports we were at with knifes bigger than me. I have no intentions of going back.

Sorry but I'm just being as honest as I can be.

68TriShield
09-12-2010, 02:21 PM
A unstable country
If not, why?
I wouldn't want to go somewhere my precious vacation time might be compromised.
No.
Never considered it so I don't know.

neoflex
09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I guess it just depends on the place and the time! My wife and I were at both those locations in the spring from a cruise, and didn't have a single "hawker" approach us on the streets. Had half a dozen trying to sell me glass-top cuban cigars within the malls, but after disclosing (loudly) to my co-shoppers why these were fakes, They stopped approaching me totally!!! Also, we made excursion plans outside of the normal cruise ship channels, and left the ship after the crush of the main crowd. Wonder if the "hawkers" had already been siphoned off? Don't know if that's a plausible reason for the difference or not. Maybe we looked too muck like the rednecks we are!!!:D That's crazy. When we were there we could not walk more than 2 ft before the next person came started to badger us and it was constant up until we got into the can to go to Chakanaab and even there we would have the occasional person come along trying to sell us authentic glass tops. Like you they started to by pass me when I called them out on being fakes.

SvilleKid
09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
even there we would have the occasional person come along trying to sell us authentic glass tops. Like you they started to by pass me when I called them out on being fakes.

LOL!!! That was the funniest part of the whole trip. IMO!! I was with a cruise group of 30 people, with ten friends around me when I called them out; ten friends who were just about to buy some of the glass-tops!!!

Texan in Mexico
09-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Our Cozumel operation is actually there in Chankanaab, if I am in Mexico I am there once or twice a week.

No offense taken - I thank you.

Please keep the comments coming as I want to share the honest truth with the team. I will not be using anyone's name or handle, it will be a general summary.

For those that go on a cruise, is Cozumel a compelling reason to choose one over the other? Either a positive or negative?

This really is helping me, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3
09-12-2010, 03:57 PM

The border towns are in turmoil, it is sad and scary to read about what is going on there with the cartels. I hope for the good people there sakes' the find a solution.

If not, why?

Yes....I have been to many places in Mexico, and many of the tourist destinations were fun. I would probably not return to Cancun because of the unrepaired damage the hurricanes have done to the beaches, but would certainly consider some of the other tourist destinations.

In many of the tourist destinations, yes.

Places that I have been that I would not return to are border towns (Juarez, Tiajuana) because of safety issues, Acapulco because of police corruption aimed at US tourists, and Mexico City because of crime in general.

Pluses....Affordable vacations in many instances, some beautiful places.

Minuses....the issues I spoke about in the places I would not return to.

neoflex
09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Our Cozumel operation is actually there in Chankanaab, if I am in Mexico I am there once or twice a week.

No offense taken - I thank you.

Please keep the comments coming as I want to share the honest truth with the team. I will not be using anyone's name or handle, it will be a general summary.

For those that go on a cruise, is Cozumel a compelling reason to choose one over the other? Either a positive or negative?

This really is helping me, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

For the cruise that the wife and I recently took it was the Mexico destinations that really enticed us to choose that one but to be totally honest with you if we decided to another cruise and there are Mexican destinations we will probably look for another itinerary unless the other destinations are really places we really want to see but we would probably only spend minimal time off the boat at the Mexican ports. Just telling you the truth. Had we been left alone we probably would have really enjoyed those two spots but it got really old really fast especially when one gentleman told us he knew where LCDH was after asking for directions and he was playing the game of trying to bring me to all his buddies faux shops telling me it was where I wanted to be which every time I was like no this isn't it but thanks I got it from here but he wouldn't leave us alone no matter how rude I tried to be. I lied and said I was meeting a friend from the area there and that is when he decided to be honest and tell me he didn't know where it was. This was after an hour of getting the run around. I gave him a couple bucks and that wasn't even good enough and he begged for more. At that point I lost it and basically told him to leave us the F alone and be happy I gave him anything after jerking me off for an hour especially since at the time my wife was pregnant and it was hot as hell.
Chakanaab is beautiful and we really did enjoy our time there.

floydpink
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm a little odd and spent a great deal of my single years rambling through places like Nicaragua in the early 90's and Medellin Colombia up until the time I got married with several trips to Brazil sprinkled in between.

There's always been something about "dangerous" places and the lack of American tourists that makes it more fun.

I've since changed that attitude since I now travel with a 5 year old.

I'd go to Mexico in a heartbeat.

okieRob
09-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Responses below.

Good day to all:

What is your perception of Mexico? Bad - Drug Wars & Corruption

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? No
If not, why? I'm going to take a different tact - I refuse to support a country that is systematically invading our borders. Plenty of other places in the Caribbean where I can vacation and in turn support the local economy.

Would you feel safe in Mexico? No. Been there - outside of the compound where I was staying I did not feel safe at all.

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination? Biggest plus - proximity. Biggest minus - it is a war zone where the government can't be trusted.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis
Posted via Mobile Device

hotreds
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
This, however, I love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACc5JG-tVOQ&feature=related

Starscream
09-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I agree with the Admiral on this one. A lot of negative press has been given to Mexico (and rightly so) about the border towns. There are a lot of good people in Mexico and places to see, but the border areas are filled with crime and danger. I've never been to Mexico; all info I have is from the media and other second hand sources.

BlackDog
09-13-2010, 07:38 AM
I would not be inclined to go to Mexico. As has been stated, crime is the main reason. When I travel I may go to a resort, but I also want to travel the countryside and see the local sights, eat at local restaurants, and take in some of the local lifestyle. I know when my mother has travelled to Cancun and Cozumel she was advised not to leave the resort area. I would be more incluned to go to Honduras if I were to make a trip to that part of the world.

gvarsity
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
What is your perception of Mexico? Complicated. Parts are wonderful and parts are nasty. I used to go to Juarez regularly but wouldn't go there now. I would still consider most of the tourist towns like Puerto Vallarta.

If not, why? Yes but not at the top. There are places with similar benefits that are cleaner and safer.

Would you feel safe in Mexico? Generally. The likelihood of actually getting caught up in the drug violence is low. (Assuming you aren't being careless.)

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination? Plus Beautiful. I love Mexican food. Used to be really cheap. Minus. There is more risk. Can be poor and dirty. (My issue with Jamaica as well.)

For a warm ocean destination I would go to either the Bahamas or St. Martin over Mexico every time.

XTRazzer
09-13-2010, 03:32 PM
A country with corrupt politics and high crime rates. Although it's been that way for a long time, it's worse today. And VW Bug taxi cabs everywhere.

Maybe for a fishing trip (fly, surf, offshore). I know people who traveled to parts of Mexico for fishing trips and had a very good time. I'm sure someone would be able to recommend what/where, but I can't think of specific destinations at the moment.

If not, why?
There are plenty of spots in the US to sit on a beach and drink.

I would be 'ok' going somewhere that was recommended as a good fishing destination. As with any foreign travel precautions must be taken. I have no desire to travel into the MX/US border towns.

Plus: Dollar to Peso conversion, different culture, distinct fish species
Minus: crime rate, pollution (relative)

Tank
09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Lot's of great input here! I head down at least once a year. I always feel safe there but I don't go out at night and I stay in public areas. I fly into Cancun and immediately shuttle down to Playa Del Carmen. I prefer that area and don't even frequent Cancun anymore.

Cozumel Palace in Cozumel is now my favorite destination and I am off the mainland and never felt insecure as of late. El Presidente and Iberostar on Cozumel are also awesome! For the east I have no hesitation to recommend Cozumel. And even Play del Carmen has automatic weapon armed security because they know that is a cash cow for them.

If you like the Pacific coast then Manzanillo is the place to go. Not well known and out of the way. The Riu is nice there.

Lucky_Hippo
09-14-2010, 06:01 AM
Never again. We went once and it was more than enough. After getting shook down at the airport by the passport checker for 200 bucks and our friends stopped in a taxi and shook down for another 60 by cops, our first hour in Mexico was a real eye opener. These are the people who are supposed to protect you?

Taco Bell is the closest I'm gonna make a run to the boarder any time soon.

ucla695
09-14-2010, 07:16 AM

A country in turmoil struggling to root out the drug cartels and pervasive corruption.

If not, why?

No. I've had a great time on all my vacations to Mexico (Cancun, Mazatlan, Cabo, Baja), but I will not return until the violence subsides.

The wife, friends, family and I would travel down to Baja (Rosarito/Puerto Nuevo) several times a year to enjoy long weekends. It's a relatively easy drive from LA. We enjoyed kicking back, having a few drinks and eating langostino. Our last trip was in August '07. Since then, reports of violence in Rosarito and Tiajuana have kept us away. That said, I'd return once things get under control

Not at the moment.

Plus - depending on the destination, relatively close to Southern California. Great, relaxing atmosphere.
Minus - corruption and violence

massphatness
09-14-2010, 07:39 AM

If not, why?

I don't know about the other questions, but the biggest plus is Inés Sainz
http://adeptos.no.sapo.pt/2006/5Maio/MexicoTvAztecaInesSainz.jpg

Volt
09-14-2010, 08:19 AM
... And even Play del Carmen has automatic weapon armed security because they know that is a cash cow for them.

Reason enough not to go for me. They would not be paying for guards without a damn good reason.

I am a fairly seasoned traveler courtesy of Uncle Sam's canoe club. Way too many other safer and cleaner places to visit for my $$$. One always has to be aware as a "tourist" your marked for easy bucks. "Hey Joes" exist every where. Mexico has never had a strong pull for me and lately with the crime, their attitudes towards us like we owe their illegals here something - not a chance.

Sand and fun - Bahamas, Virgin Islands, etc.

Countries in general I had a great time or a lot of fun in - Greece, Spain, Palma de Mallorca, Singapore and England

Countries that were either not enjoyable or dangerous - Isreal, Italy, France, Egypt

Countries I would return to with some caution - Turkey, Dubai, Crete

Countries on the bucket list - The Land of Tulips, any of the Scandinavian countries, Canada, Australia

Ashcan Bill
09-14-2010, 08:26 AM
I’ve been traveling to Mexico since the early seventies. Back then the biggest negative was corruption. Today it seems the corruption has merged with drug violence to form a particularly nasty stew. The country itself is beautiful with an interesting history. The people are a mixed bag like everywhere else – some good, some bad. It's just that now the bad are really bad.

If not, why?
About the only way I would travel to Mexico today would be on a cruise ship where I had the choice to stay on board or get off the ship. We’re actually taking a cruise to Mexico the end of October. Wish me luck in Acapulco. ;)

It would depend where I was. I’d definitely be on high alert and stay aware of my surroundings.

Temperate weather and beautiful country offset by the opportunity to be kidnapped, held up or murdered.

Personally I like Cozumel and feel safer there than on the mainland. While I wouldn’t specifically book a cruise because it was going to Cozumel (I prefer to visit new places when I cruise, given the choice), I’d look on it as a good port when selecting an itinerary. We stopped there last March.

One point I'll add is I've traveled through Mexico enough to be fairly comfortable there, or at least not to be terrified of the entire country. But I can see where tourists who have never been there would look at the current levels of violence and decide to go elsewhere, and I wouldn't blame them a bit.

DPD6030
09-14-2010, 07:51 PM

A beautiful country with some bad areas just like the USA

Yes, we're thinking about going to the Riviera Maya area for our honeymoon sometime in the next few months into early-mid next year.

Where I go, yes. I've been to Cozumel numerous times and felt completely safe there. I've also done tours on the mainland and felt safe. Costa Maya was a great place to get a chair, drink beer and eat chips & salsa

Biggest plus - Short flights, value, weather, history, cheap fishing :D

Biggest minus - the northern borders and the drug war going on and the pushy "must buy" this and that attitude.

mosesbotbol
09-15-2010, 06:44 AM
You know I am biased, but here are my responses:

A country of vast regional and culinary differences with an untamed factor to it. Very stylish and hip on one end; desperate and dangerous on the other. Mexico has the world’s 2nd largest city and many friendly people,

If not, why?

I’d stay with my parents on Isla Mujeres, or with cousins in Mexico City. I would like to see Merida, but Mexico City is pretty high up on where I’d like visit. Many famous restaurants and looks pretty cool. The Mexican highways and travelling by bus is a drag; very dull and un-scenic roads (at least in QR).

Yes, for the places I would go, 100%

Plusses: Food, value, beaches and culture. Minuses: heat, potential danger, and getting sick.

Don Fernando
09-15-2010, 07:05 AM
- What is your perception of Mexico?

Corrupt and in war with drug lords.

- If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? If not, why?

Hell no. I mean, I would love to see the country, it has a great history but it is way to unsafe and corrupt. A Dutch guy who moved to Cancún to run a hotel got attacked by a three guys, one of them the brother of a politician from the Partido Verde party. He defended himself, but guess who got locked up? Indeed, the Dutch guy. And when his mom came over to visit him in jail, she and his lawyer got kidnapped. He's been in jail for a year now while his attacker is still running loose. No way in hell that I would risk something happening to me in a country with such a corrupt justice system. More on his story: http://www.freeingfree.net/

- Would you feel safe in Mexico?

Most of the time yeah, as I feel safe easily. But feeling safe or being safe are two different things. And as stated above, you can't count on the justice system and the government for your safety if something goes wrong.

- What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?

plus would be the weather and history, minus the drug war, corrupt government and other crimes.

SilverFox
09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Good day to all:

What is your perception of Mexico? That it is a country in civil strife with drug cartels and gangs ruling the streets. The govt is striving to bring it under control but there appears to be heavy corruption there as well.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? It used to be. Now no chance.
If not, why? With three young children the perception of lack of safety is overwhelming. Tourists seem to be victims of violence far more than in other popular destinations.

Would you feel safe in Mexico? No

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination? Being from Western Canada Mexica is the one of the shorter flight distances from our home that can provide a tropical vacation destination. The biggest minus is simple. Whether it is true or not I don't know actual statistics but the perception is it is an unsafe destination. That there is little to know rule on the streets and that there is little if any cooperation with tourists and authorities.

Also the Gov't of Canada has the following travel advisory for Mexico

Canadians travelling to Mexico should exercise a high degree of caution due to occasional demonstrations and protests, high levels of criminal activity and violence throughout the country.

While that may not sound like a huge warning..........in typical Canadian fashion it is downplayed this is the second highest level of travel warning that is submitted.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis
Posted via Mobile Device

I know that may of my friends and acquaintances have changed there mind in the recent years about travel to Mexico.

Da Klugs
09-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Perceptions are reality for most. My perception is simple - there are so many alternatives that going there isn't even a consideration based upon the news coverage of the escalating issues coupled with the traditional issues (water and safety). Not fair or even empirically accurate but my behavior is based upon perception and an adjustment based upon reality would only take place if I traveled there again. Not going to do that based upon perception. It's the catch 22 problem for Mexican tourism. For the most part the resort areas are gorgeous and safe, but they are still part of a country that has many parts which are not. On a smaller scale some larger cities in the US have had the same issues. Contain many great areas to visit or live... tainted by a general perception of the region based upon pockets of places that are not. How does a visitor know the difference?

JDTexan
09-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Mexico is a Narco state and the government has absolutely no control anymore.

If not, why?
No, My wife is from Guadalajara and this is the first year we have not gone to Mexico at least once. Her moms family has a house in musquiz and they will not even travel there from San Antonio. They would make this trip at least twice a month and this year wont travel because locals no how bad it is. Mexicans and tourists don't feel safe in Mexico.

No even Mexicans don't feel safe there.

Biggest plus use to be a cheap vacation close and easy travel but now the negatives far out weight the positives and there are plenty of places just a cheap and better environment all around. We are now traveling to Costa Rica instead. I would love to go back and let my children see inner Mexico but it is going to be a long time before that can be possible. Once the Mexican Nationals are ready to go back, I will feel more comfortable.

ninjavanish
09-16-2010, 11:45 AM

My personal perception of Mexico is fairly limited but I have been to Mexico dozens of times when I was living in Tucson, AZ I began dating a pretty little mexican girl. At the time she lived in Tucson, but later on it became apparent that her visa would expire and would not be renewed and shortly thereafter became apparent this would not work. Eventually she moved back. She and I had visited many times to the border town of Agua Prieta (South of Douglas, AZ). It was dirty and run down. Homeless people plagued the streets, I often times saw them eating food off the street or out of garbage cans. Pretty gross, but they never bothered me. I spoke Spanish enough to get around and do what I wanted to do (mostly eating Sonoran Hot Dogs, tortas, tacos and drinking mexican beer). Often times at night you would hear gunfire in the distance. But it was a more rural town than Nogales or Tijuana and obviously infinitely smaller than Cuidad Juarez. I never really had any problems but I always had a watchful eye open, whether out of fear or just trying to safeguard myself against violence I can't be sure. I've been down the coast of the Sea of Cortez quite a ways. Beautiful and awe-inspiring landscape. I've been to Major capital cities such as Hermosillo. The culture of the old parts of the town are quite rich in it's history. Overall I think if you can get past the dirt, the poverty, the crime, the drugs, the violence, the kidnappings, the swine flu... It's an amazing place.

If not, why?

I probably would not consider a vacation to Mexico anytime in the near future mostly because I have already spent a lot of time there and there are other places I'd like to visit. And B) Although I never had any problems, I was also always with a group of locals who knew me well and who I knew well enough and trusted to know how to steer clear of dangerous areas and situations. Going alone as an outsider I would not have that confidence and therefore I would feel uncomfortable, especially if I was bringing my family.

It depends, I have been to Mexico during the bad times and felt perfectly fine... even to the border towns... but I would feel safer in the US. Maybe it's just the feeling of being "home" or knowing that if I really got into trouble I have relatives in Mississippi that wouldn't mind laying the lumber on some folks to get me out of said trouble.

Food and Drink. Beautiful exotic locations. And believe it or not... good people. For every gangbanger, druglord, or terrorist that gets on the news for beheading some local mayor or journalist or cop... there are thousands of good Mexican people just trying to make it by through all of the corruption and violence. It's a shame. A damn shame. I really loved Mexico, but my heartfelt opinion to anyone considering going there... is don't go. Or if you do, watch your @$$. Mind your own business and stay clear of going places that you're unsure of.

Lear31MX
09-16-2010, 11:59 AM
As far as all your questions go I feel I can sum it up in one reply.
I'm an mechanic on a Lear Jet and a bunch of rich folks, we have a one trip scheuled to Montery Mexico next week for one day. both my pilots are sacried to leave the airport and the passengers need armered transport. Not to mention the amount of money in bribes they have to spend just to get of the jet at customs.

mosesbotbol
09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
As far as all your questions go I feel I can sum it up in one reply.
I'm an mechanic on a Lear Jet and a bunch of rich folks, we have a one trip scheuled to Montery Mexico next week for one day. both my pilots are sacried to leave the airport and the passengers need armered transport. Not to mention the amount of money in bribes they have to spend just to get of the jet at customs.

Mexico is the biggest producer of civilian armored cars.

JDTexan
09-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Mexico is the biggest producer of civilian armored cars.

Thats sums it up too!

jkim05
09-22-2010, 02:07 PM
I guess I have a different perspective on travel compared to the majority of the members here. I would travel to Mexico in a heartbeat, especially to any of the tourist towns. Now if I was driving through the border or something, I would carefully consider my options prior to going, but I've been to some pretty rough places around the world and once you're there, they're not as unsafe as often made out to be. Granted you have to behave appropriately and not make yourself a target, but I haven't felt in significant risk anywhere. I also haven't traveled to any active war zones, so I guess I probably don't know what real danger is.

Most of the resort areas in Mexico are so isolated from the rest of the country, it's not even like travelling to the same country.

Texan in Mexico
10-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Good afternoon all,

Thank you for your comments.

Not much to say especially considering what has happened in the last 24 hours in Acapulco and Mexico City.

Samsquanch
10-03-2010, 11:19 AM
My answers:

Beautiful beaches, nice people.

If not, why?

Yes, in fact we've been talking with our friends about taking a Mexican vacation this winter sometime.

For the most part, yes.

Beaches, sun, warmth, beer, and tequila, oh and the ability to buy cigars from the Island ;)

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis

VirtualSmitty
10-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Good afternoon all,

Thank you for your comments.

Not much to say especially considering what has happened in the last 24 hours in Acapulco and Mexico City.

Scary stuff to say the least. Only been twice, plus one half day visit with the SD crew, doubt i'll ever go back.

gettysburgfreak
10-03-2010, 06:40 PM
http://policelink.monster.com/news/articles/146634-texas-sheriff-mexican-bandits-entered-us-waters

I am still amazed at how many Americans find it suitable to travel into Mexico after tens of thousands are killed annually due to the ongoing cartel wars. Even this couple, traveling on the water, close to the US Border, was attacked and murdered. Its just not safe, I compare it to taking your wife on vacation to Iraq. Why put yourself and your family at such risk?

Unfortunately, a lot of Americans still see Mexico as that fun-loving place to get a cheap vacation, and romanticized by music of relaxing at sandy beaches drinking margaritas and Coronas. Mexico is not safe for even its own citizens, Americans should not be there.

The war down there is no joke and should not be taken lightly. I see this more so than the average american due to my job. I'm serious when I say this country is in complete shambles.

BlackDog
10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
[url]I am still amazed at how many Americans find it suitable to travel into Mexico after tens of thousands are killed annually due to the ongoing cartel wars. Even this couple, traveling on the water, close to the US Border, was attacked and murdered. Its just not safe, I compare it to taking your wife on vacation to Iraq. Why put yourself and your family at such risk?

I just saw this news report, that the police office who was investigating the murder of the man mentioned above has also been killed. IMO if the police and military cannot keep the peace, there is no way I want to go there.

LINK (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/10/12/mexican-police-official-investigating-border-lake-shooting-dead/)

BlackDog
10-12-2010, 03:10 PM
One more thought...

I've never been entirely comfortable, personally, with the concept of vacationing nearby to people in poverty. To me it seems heartless to spend what to them is probably a great sum of money to sunbathe, swim, and drink, while they may be scraping to get by. Or, as mentioned in this article, prostituting themselves in order to feed their kids.

LINK (http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/international/Special_report_-_Mexicos_growing_legion_of_narco_orphans.html?cid= 28486712)

But on the other hand I understand that vacationers spending money provides jobs, so I'm not saying that going there to vacation is wrong. Just something we each need to evaluate personally.