PDA

View Full Version : Career 'suicide'

DMK
09-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Anyone ever just had "enough" ?? :bh

Last week I committed career 'suicide'. After 31 yrs of being a maintenance mechanic/millwright at a large steel producer. :(
I walked into the bosses office after making an appointment to see him, (the only way to get his attention).
I told him I'm no longer interested in doing the assigned tasks (way above my pay grade) and I wanted to be sent out of the dept. to work for another dept., anywhere but for him.
The last year and a half have been a steady increase of work load with little to no support, doing other's work when they are off on vacation or other assignments.
I now await their decision as he "needs" the talk it out with his manager to decide what to do with me. I know there won't be an offer of a wage increase, even that wouldn't entice me to stay. They will also have trouble finding another sucker to replace me as all around me agree I'm 'stupid' doing so much for so little...
It reminds me of the old line of " We the unwilling, let by the unknowing, do the unnecessary , for the ungrateful" except there is no 'we'.
I just want to go back to mindlessly turning wrenches for a living.
The magic words he needed to hear was " the added stress of the 'extra' tasks is starting to impact my family life, I'm drinking too much and fighting with the wife".
If I could afford to retire I would, but I need about another 5 yrs. or a lottery win...:sad

Thanks for letting me vent.... it's very therapeutic.
I'll get off my box now....

Chingas
09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Vent away Darryl, we double as a support group!

Took a boatload of balls to do what you did and I'm glad you did. It's your life. You need to be happy, not only for you but for your family. It makes me sick when bosses abuse their employees, taking advantage of the "nice" or the ones who won't "complain."

I have many friends in these situations that refuse to say anything to their bosses as the workload increases, the hours increase and the pay stays the same. All the while, their health suffers, their family life suffers, their attitude suffers, and well, they generaly just turn into mindless bastards who do nothing but eat, drink and breath work.

It's no way to live!

So, Kick Ass and take names Brother. Don't let those bastards throw you around like a little *****!

Wow, somehow, your vent in turn made me vent! Bonus!

Good luck with the lotto too!:tu

Cigarcop
09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I feel for you brother but I wouldn't say.... "They will also have trouble finding another sucker to replace me as all around me agree I'm 'stupid' doing so much for so little..." because there is always someone to do the work.

Best of luck

Ogre
09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Good luck brother, will say a prayer for you.

Gophernut
09-11-2010, 10:48 AM
It sounds like you got some things off your chest that needed to be done. Good luck with everything!

CigarNut
09-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Good luck -- I hope you get what you want out of this!

Apoco
09-11-2010, 11:51 AM
All I can tell you is that you aren't alone in this. I've been doing 3 people's work and am pretty much at my wits end (did 45 hours this week. even with the Monday holiday). There's something to be said for being happy.

I wish I could give you advice, but all I can say is good luck.

The Poet
09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Best of luck to you, brother. Me, I get too few hours and just enough money to cover my bills and occasionally buy some "cheap" cigars, but I'm relaxed and reasonably happy. You can't buy that.

BlackDog
09-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Darryl, I applaud your courage to step forward and do the right thing for you and your family. Your health, peace of mind, and family unity are worth far more than a paycheck.

About 16 years ago I quit a high paying job. I was on the "fast track" in a strong consulting company, and could have made a lot of money had I stayed. I was on my way to a junior partnership within a few years. But, I was only home 2 days per week, and my wife and I were on the fast track to a divorce. Thankfully we decided to make a career and lifestyle change before things got bad enough to actually get divorced. Now, 16 years later, I still make less than I did then. But the quality of our lives is so much better.

When I made the decision to leave my job, I had an interview with the man who was at that time the CEO of Alcoa. He had announced his plans to retire at the end of 6 months, and the Alcoa board was doing their background work to put a new CEO in place. He told me something I'll never forget. He said, "When you get to be my age, you won't wish you worked more hours. You'll wish you had spent more time with your family." That from the CEO of one of the largest companies in America. So I took his advice and made the change.

It's better to eat hotdogs with the people you love than to eat steak alone.

Darryl, I wish you much success and happiness. I respect your decision very much.

Starscream
09-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent for you, Darryl.

mash
09-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm curious, are you a union shop. From your post it sounds not.

BigFrank
09-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I feel ya on this one. It's a similar situation to mine. I ended up leaving my career and starting another one.

St. Lou Stu
09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm there now and will be signing up for classes to finish my electrical engineering degree shortly.
Of course, my employer covering 50% of the schooling is a major motivator.

Good luck to you, my brother!

mosesbotbol
09-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Even if you made more money, if your home is not in harmony- it's all in vain. A great structure is built on a solid foundation. You have your priorities straight.

It sounds like you see this now. This will work out for you. Proceed being upbeat and matter-of-fact with your employer. You don't know how they'll respond, but don't create and adversary. Think of your employer and you as "partners" when talking with them.

Good luck.

Ahbroody
09-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Agreed family comes first in my home. I make a lot less then I could because I want to be home with my kids. I have passed up promotions and taken less so I can focus on what matters most to me. Family first.

DMK
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Well...:bh
So far no movement. I found out why today, my manager is moving on to another dept. and has left this on the table for the next guy to deal with...:rolleyes:
It's been a month and it is still in the hands of the next level of manager, who I'm seeing tomorrow to find out what if anything is going to be done.
I spoke briefly with my immediate manager's replacement today and he toed the line of "It's in his manager's hands"....
Next step after seeing the next level of management is... :sh
Nothing like working in a poisoned work environment...
Damn I wish I could win enough in the damn lottery to retire.....

Thanks for letting me vent again, I feel better.

Chingas
09-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I was wondering what was going on with you. Hang in there Brother. Hopefully things I'll workout better for you in the end.

maverickdrinker
09-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Hang in there Darryl. Hope that your next manager sees that change is needed and will do right by you.

neoflex
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Wishing the best for you Darryl. Sometimes speaking up actually works and gets sh*t done because most employees are to fearful of losing their jobs to speak up. I am usually the bog mouth and more often than not I usually find it does more good than harm and tends to make my employers respect me a little more for speaking up. Good luck again.

SNKBYT
09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
good luck with your job........family does come first......its easier to find a new line of work than a new family (hope that sounds right)

09-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Prayers sent Darryl. I'm sure one way or another you'll find peace. Either they will give you what you want or you'll move on. It might not happen as quickly as you'd like, but I'm sure it will work out. It's good you had the guts to stand up and say something. You might get relief and not have to change employers. Without speaking your mind there would be 0% chance of that.

DMK
10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Well....:confused:
I guess good things come to those who wait.... its been almost two months
I had a meeting with my new manager today after a group meeting with all the other same level guys in my dept. At the group meeting he made a bunch of interesting statements that I needed to see him in private to ensure that I understood him clearly.
It seems the rock has been lifted, and the load will be a lot lighter... so long as he lives up to his plans.
I told him that 'if' he follows through, then he doesn't need to look for a replacement for me:tu
It looks like suicide averted.

neoflex
10-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Good to hear Darryl!

Ahbroody
10-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Awesome news

hscmit
10-26-2010, 07:27 PM
glad things look like they will work out

RevSmoke
10-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I am glad to hear that things will get better and you don't have to lose any more money on the lottery. :D

God's blessings that things get better and you can "enjoy" work a little.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

docdoty
10-26-2010, 10:46 PM
sometimes you have to be willing to step into the uncomfortable zone in order to get your voice heard. I had to do something similar with my job and it worked out for me in the long run. There are times when the risk is worth the reward. I agree it took alot of courage and big balls to do what you did. Good luck man.

Bill86
10-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I quit my job too man. I cannot say why and all that but lets just say I couldn't work for idiots that made me do work beneath me and ask for my suggestions....yet never take them and treat me like SH*T on top of it. So I called up the GM and said .....bye I'm out. Been feeling fantastic since then.

I now am starting working on my new job as a bartender, took my ABC card test today. Looking to go to bartending school next week or two. Things are looking great. I wish you the same luck.

justonemorestick
10-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Good luck to everyone who is shaking the trees and making changes with work.

Skywalker
10-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Good for you! You persevered! :tu

10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Great news! I hope he stays true.

DocLogic77
10-27-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm really glad it worked out for you. I really feel your pain. Personally, I'm burned out myself and ready to move on. The problem...I need an additional year of training to take a position that will ultimately pay less. But, I will be in my calling (finally) and you can't put a price tag on that. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.