PDA

View Full Version : Coronado by La Flor Double Corona

WeekendSmoker
09-07-2010, 07:34 PM
I've had a box of these in the bottom of my humi for a couple of years and decided to grab one tonight.
I'm outside on 70ish degree weather joined by a bottle of NZ SB. Very crisp and "green" tasting.
They look very nice. Awesome wrapper and seemingly good construction.
After clipping it tasted like, well, tobacco.
Initially these bad boys had a lot of cedar but over the years that seems to have subsided.
the first inch or so tasted pretty generic,(tobacco) but pleasant. The draw is very easy so far.
I am somewhat conflicted on the draw issue - on the one had easy draw is nice but I sometimes think that it comes at the price of flavor. That could be in my head of course though.
There are some darker notes like leather popping up, but generally it is just a pleasant, easy smoke with not much going on. Quite a contrast to the Boli RC 07 I had earlier.
Half way through. the cedar is starting to be more pronounced.... Nice...
And the "darker" flavors like chocolate and leather as starting to come into play.
It doesn't change though. Very pleasant big, fat tobaco flavors not not - anything unique.
To be fair, I don't think that SB is the right pairing for this. The crispness of a recent Sauvignon Blanc does not work well to this cigar. I'll switch to a much more smokey Islay.
It doesn't really make a difference. The cigar is nice and the aroma is still (beyond the halfway point) very cedar-y, but the depth or flavor simply isn't there.
My buddy has an Upmann EL 2004 and it is is no comparison. The Coronado is plain though pleasant in comparison. Not sure if that is totally fair though.
I'm at the last 2 inches or so. It is starting to get a bit more harsh.
I'm putting it down to have a graceful demise. It got pretty tarry towards the end - not what I was hoping for.
C'est la vie.

WeekendSmoker

longknocker
09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Sorry You Didn't Like It; I've Only Smoked One, But Found It Very Smooth & Complex!:) Thanks For The Review!

Starz26
09-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Wow, that is not the review I was expecting at all. I agree with Greg about the last one I had but I guess time did not do these well. Hope the Maduro's hold up better!

JJG
09-07-2010, 10:18 PM
The only Coronado I've tried was the Lancero, and my experience was similar to yours. The flavor was pleasant, but boring, and certainly didn't justify the price paid.

On the other hand, I don't recommend smoking a Dominican right after a CC. Many people stop smoking non-Cubans altogether because they tend make all other cigars taste boring and bland.

Luckily for me anyway, I have found that the effect is (somewhat) temporary. If you smoke a Cuban on Friday, stick to smoking CCs for the rest of the weekend, and take a few days off before smoking anything else. You might even want to smoke a cheaper non-Cuban before attempting to review something more substantial, sort of like a palate-cleanser.

It all sounds weird, but my appreciation for the complexity of Nicaraguan and Dominican tobacco has grown exponentially since I started using this method.

WeekendSmoker
09-08-2010, 05:51 AM
I had the CC earlier in the day, and I only took a puff from my friends cigar, but I know what you're saying.
It's not that I did not like it, it just wasn't what I hoped it was going to be like.

Rgds
WeekendSmoker

Steelergar
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I have yet to try these but I think its funny CA just gave the double toro a 93 rating after reading your responses.

Tank
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I had my first one of these a few years back. Thought it was different from any cigar I have ever had. Although I liked it I have not obtained any boxes or smoked them regularily. To me there was an orange like twang to this stick with some slight spice. Spice not to be misconstrued with pepper.

Starz26
09-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I have yet to try these but I think its funny CA just gave the double toro a 93 rating after reading your responses.

WOW, CA is giving ratings based on our reviews....That will be the day!

Just bustin ya chops.......:rolleyes::)

d'am
09-10-2010, 08:33 PM
WOW, CA is giving ratings based on our reviews....That will be the day!

Just bustin ya chops.......:rolleyes::)

CA can't get much worse than their random-number generator.

WeekendSmoker
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a couple of boxes and I thing that as time goes by they are getting more bland. That is in contrast with quite a few other brands/marcas which become more interesting with age.

WeekendSmoker

Krish the Fish
09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
The only Coronado I had was also a double corona, and like yours, mine had a very easy draw. I didn't think it was quite worth the price I paid (which I can't remember offhand. I think it was ~$10). I was disappointed with these & the Air Benders, and I think Litto could have done much better on these two, but of course, this is just my opinion.

krevo
09-14-2010, 11:02 PM
I enjoy the Coronado. It definitely isn't the most complex cigar, but I find the particular flavor to be medium bodied and very pleasant.