PDA

View Full Version : Any Experienced Hikers Here?

BlackDog
09-03-2010, 07:53 AM
A friend and I are making reservations to do a rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon this time next year. I've never done a "serious" hike before. Any good resources you can point me to for boots and a pack? I want to learn more about them first before I walk into a store to buy stuff. Any other advice will be welcome. :tu

Steve
09-03-2010, 08:02 AM
I have had a LOT of hiking boots, but my all time favorites for comfort and durability are Merrel Wilderness' (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/M-F-F-S-BO/7178M/0/Men/Footwear/Filters/Style/Boots/Mens/Wilderness). They are leather with a vibram soul, have never let me slip and never had a blister. They do not look as "sporty" as others and they may wiegh a tab more, but they have saved my bad ankles several time.

I would definately suggest that whatever boots you get, break them in REAL well WELL BEFORE your trip! Also, there are a lot of people in stores that have NO IDEA how to fit your feet with hiking boots!

As for a pack, I have an Arctryx pack that I love. I'll have to look around for which one it is. Very comfortable.

ninjavanish
09-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Rim-to-Rim is certainly a serious hike... especially in September.

To be honest... check out Backpacker.com

They always do a gear guide every year and should be a good resource to learn about gear and training... etc.

I have always found that a good outdoors store (I would stay clear of the large chains) have employees who are very experienced outdoorsmen and women with plenty of knowledge that offer good advice.

Never buy a backpack until you have actually tried it on personally. Most good outdoors stores can actually customize a backpack solution for you based on the size of your torso/waist etc. That's a reason to find yourself a good store to actually go into. On Backpacks... my advice is... the more ways to adjust the ride... the better.

So... how to find a GOOD gear store... that's the tricky part... and you will know when you have found a bad one. If anything doesn't feel like it fits right... it doesnt.

The same goes with Boots. You are going to want to find something that fits well... and having someone there to recommend sizing and support options tailored to your particular foot is going to prove more beneficial than you can imagine. Good shoes and a good pack are going to directly affect your experience... if you get stuff that doesn't fit well... it's going to make you regret ever leaving home. Just ask SvilleKid about the last time we tried to tackle a stretch of the AT.

I personally wear Merrell on my feet and a Mountainsmith Internal Frame pack on my back.

PeteSB75
09-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Boot fit especially is a very individual thing. I can't wear Merrils, they are just the wrong shape for my foot. I have Keens for day hikes and Asolo for longer. You can read all you want on the internet, but you should really get into the store and try on every boot they have. I would also suggest investing in a few good pairs of hiking socks and wearing those when trying on your boots.

replicant_argent
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Midwest Mountaineering is the place to go locally, (as is REI, but sometimes the folks at REI aren't up to snuff, IMO) you might also look at the superfeet formed insoles for a truly custom fit or whatever boot last (brand) seems to work for you best. Those guys know their stuff. As far as a pack, the external/internal frame debate will go on forever, and you might want to ask what might work best (for your frame and packing style) for you.
Also dependent considerations for either gear choice is the other gear you plan on bringing. How much weight? Volume? Overall density? Ultralight?

bigdix
09-03-2010, 08:48 AM
REI is a good site. Just find a store near you and try stuff on...never buy anything like a pack or boots without trying it on first. As for good brands...there's tons. You get what you pay for. Merrell, Salomon, Keen, The North Face, Kelty, Mountain Hardwear...some of my faves. Best bet is to find someone local at an outdoors shop and talk to them.

Wanger
09-03-2010, 09:01 AM
If you sign up for the co-op option at REI, you can get some good discounts, especially if you're looking to drop some serious coin and get boots, a pack, tent, camp stove, mummy bags, etc.

Only thing I can say about the boots is get what fits your foot right...wide/narrow, high arch/flat feet, ankle problems/strong ankles, etc. What works for me won't likely work for you (I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners that are over 10 yrs old).

As for a pack, I've used both internal and external, and both have their advantages. Gotta get what is comfortable on your back with the amount of weight you'll be carrying and gives you as much protection and accessibility to your stuff as you want. If I remember correctly, REI in Bloomington has weights that you can add into the packs when you try them to simulate the load and how it will fit when you're out on the trail.

ninjavanish
09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
A second thought on this:

As far as boots are concerned, I think you should be fully prepared to drop somewhere in the range of $80 to $150 on a good pair of sturdy shoes. You can go REALLY extravagant and buy brands like Vasque for more than $150 and if that's the way you want to go then more power to you... but be wary of any brand that doesn't fit the bill of quality... and you will have to pay for quality. I don't want to sound like a snob... but Timberlands probably not the brand to be looking at.

Socks as someone mentioned are vital to the health of your feet on a hike... especially a hot weather hike where you will be sweating a lot. You may not think about foot sweat... but wicking socks are essential to move the perspiration away from your foot. This keeps your feet dry and dry feet mean no blisters. I typically wear 2 sets of socks. An extremely thin pair of Polypropelyne socks/liners beneath a thicker wicking sock. If your shoes and socks fit how they should... blisters should be something you never have to deal with.

HOWEVER... it happens even to the best... Go to your local CVS or Walgreens and track down a substance called "Mole Skin". Dr. Sholl's makes it think. You wont need the entire pack to take with you... usually a couple of sheets of this will do. This is in the case you DO have the misfortune to blister up. The mole skin is a lifesaver. Cut out a patch big enough to cover the blistered area and place it over the affected area. This will protect it and keep it from getting worse if you find yourself at the bottom of the Canyon staring up at the other side wondering if your poor, aching dogs are going to carry you to the finish line.

Carry extra pairs of socks. Keep them changed often... I typically wear two set of socks per day... wearing one while allowing the other pair to dry... chaning them at lunch or at a break point... and allowing the pair I just wore to dry. KEEP THOSE FEET DRY.

Good boots should also be breathable... so stay away from boots that are fully leather. You can find boots that are both waterproof AND breathable. Those are great choices.

Wanger
09-03-2010, 09:55 AM
A second thought on this:

HOWEVER... it happens even to the best... Go to your local CVS or Walgreens and track down a substance called "Mole Skin". Dr. Sholl's makes it think. You wont need the entire pack to take with you... usually a couple of sheets of this will do. This is in the case you DO have the misfortune to blister up. The mole skin is a lifesaver. Cut out a patch big enough to cover the blistered area and place it over the affected area. This will protect it and keep it from getting worse if you find yourself at the bottom of the Canyon staring up at the other side wondering if your poor, aching dogs are going to carry you to the finish line.

Should ALWAYS be part of a first aid kit when you're hiking. Every time I've gone, we've had it with. Thankfully I've never needed it.

And that brings up one more thing...when you do get the boots, break them in before doing any serious hiking. That is one thing that can cause a lot of pain and blisters.

BlackDog
09-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Good advice ninja, thanks. I was already planning to look in the direction of Vasque, Danner, Merril, etc. I currently own a pair of Vasque insulated hunting boots and they're worth every penny. And I definitely want something with GoreTex. I plan to pick up several pairs of SmartWool socks, too.

replicant_argent
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
If you sign up for the co-op option at REI, you can get some good discounts, especially if you're looking to drop some serious coin and get boots, a pack, tent, camp stove, mummy bags, If I remember correctly, REI in Bloomington has weights that you can add into the packs when you try them to simulate the load and how it will fit when you're out on the trail.
A good thing to remember, like Mike said, is that any outdoor store worth its salt will let you load up the gear with weights and galumph around the store for an hour or so. If you are buying a bag, get in that sucker and roll around in it, try to ventilate it, make sure it is the right length, or if it is too claustrophobic. Buying a stove? Ask to see if you can torch one up? It is also a good way to shop, bending, climbing stairs, lifting, trying to access pockets for a water bottle or see if the hydration bladder setup works for you. Loaded up, and properly adjusted (possibly with help from a pro on site, not just a fluffy repurposed Mickey D's employee), you will know fairly quickly how the boots fit under a load, whether the pack straps fit your chest, shoulders and hips, if it moves properly with you, etc. Try a sweater or fleece under it, get some heat working from your body and see if some exertion makes that particular internal frame pack a sweaty mess, and a clammy slimy back might work not as well as an external for a situation that calls for ventilation.

Oh, and GREAT point about the polypro liners and good socks. There are some fantastic alternatives in the hosiery world, with wicking/channeled/well constructed and purpose built socks.

Steve
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Oh, and GREAT point about the polypro liners and good socks. There are some fantastic alternatives in the hosiery world, with wicking/channeled/well constructed and purpose built socks.

x2!

d'am
09-03-2010, 08:58 PM
You want some generic advice? Learn from others' mistakes. There are a bunch of great books out there, but I can think of three standouts:

1) The Backpacker's Field Manual, Revised and Updated: A Comprehensive Guide to Mastering Backcountry Skills

2) ACEP First Aid Manual

3) Don't Get Sick: The Hidden Dangers of Camping and Hiking

SvilleKid
09-03-2010, 11:10 PM
. Good shoes and a good pack are going to directly affect your experience... if you get stuff that doesn't fit well... it's going to make you regret ever leaving home. Just ask SvilleKid about the last time we tried to tackle a stretch of the AT.

Well. I knew THAT would come up!! LOL! It is a point to be taken MOST seriously. Boots to fit, but remember what kind (thickness) of socks you will be wearing, make sure to buy a size that will accommodate the socks as well as your feet. My issues on the AT with Jeremy stemmed from a bad backpack fit. I used a backpack i had used for years on shorter hikes (with less weight) as a Scout leader. Totally wrong for the longer hike, with more weight, more elevation changes. After that trip, I put the old external frame up, and got a good internal frame pack, with much more adjustment points.

I don't know if you can find a store there similar to what we have here, but many outfitters will rent you a backpack. And, as part of the rental, will fit the pack to your torso, and give you a good primer on adjustments that can be made while hiking to shift the load. That is also a good way to evaluate different pack sizes/types before you actually buy one for permanent use. Rule of thumb, backpack, fully loaded, shouldn't exceed 25% of your body weight. If you are really fit, you probably can get by with 30%. However, the elevation changes you will go thru make keeping pack weight down as much as possible. That requires creative thinking. Repackage anything you can to reduce the weight. DO NOT wear blue jeans. They breathe poorly, dry slowly, and weigh a ton! Get clothes made for hiking. Take a decent first aid kit, include duct tape (remove tape from roll, wrap around a pencil to save weight/space. Take three methods to light fires.

Your biggest concern will be water. Semi-arid conditions (except for the river in the bottom of the canyon) means you will need to carry more water. And, since your food will most probably be dehydrated, more planning will be required to maintain your water needs. Buy a reliable water filter. NEVER drink the water you find without first filtering it, or boiling it (unless it is an absolute emergency). Katadyn makes great filters that are easy to use, reliable, time tested, and made for hiking. I'd go with a filter that you hand pump, verses bottles with filters built-in that you squeeze. The amount of water the squeeze bottles produce aren't worth the time and effort (plus, if you squeeze too hard, you can blow the water past the filter medium, and negate the process. While you can buy dehydrated backpacking foods, you can make a lager number of "dry" meals with rice and pasta packages available in most grocery stores.

Sounds like a great hike. Be safe. File an itinerary with friends/family. Stick to your planned route, so you can be located if there are problems.

There are hundreds of little tips that I've picked up over the years, too many to list.

ninjavanish
09-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Your biggest concern will be water. Semi-arid conditions (except for the river in the bottom of the canyon) means you will need to carry more water. And, since your food will most probably be dehydrated, more planning will be required to maintain your water needs. Buy a reliable water filter. NEVER drink the water you find without first filtering it, or boiling it (unless it is an absolute emergency).

A third thought on this...

Not to try to terrify you... or keep you from going on your hike...
but this is a very serious concern any hiker must have. A source of purified drinking water.

Some may tell you that the streams where you may be hiking are pure enough to drink from... and the chances are 50/50 they are right. The problem comes when you are already dehydrated and must drink unpurified water out of necessity to keep from becoming more dehydrated... then you get some waterborn illness which causes you to (ahem... how can I put this lightly) excrete excrement from your anal cavity at a rapid pace... thus hastening the thing you were trying to prevent in the first place... dehydration. Don't believe what Bear Gryls tells you on Man vs. Wild... the only way to prevent Giardia (look it up) is with a microfilter.

The main thing to remember when you're in the wilderness is oddly enough... YOU'RE IN THE WILDERNESS. Being too prepared does not exist... learning through experience is half the fun... but learning through BAD experiences is no fun at all.

BlackDog
09-07-2010, 07:52 AM
On this particular trip potable water will not be a problem. We will be hiking on well established trails in the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park. The Park Service has installed water sources along the main trails. I will either buy a Camelback or some Platypus water bottles.

SvilleKid
09-08-2010, 03:08 PM
On this particular trip potable water will not be a problem. We will be hiking on well established trails in the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park. The Park Service has installed water sources along the main trails. I will either buy a Camelback or some Platypus water bottles.

That's FANTASTIC! That makes the BIG concern a non issue. EXCEPT, always make sure you have a reserve back-up of water. Don't count on water being where you expect it, until you are actually there, drinking it!

With the water issue resolved, you can concentrate on packing some good foods. Calorie count is a must, but good taste is an absolute. There's too many options out there to survive on marginal food!!!

kgoings
09-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Always wanted to get into backpacking...subscribing!