PDA

View Full Version : Bank Scam via Text Msg

GKitty
09-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I posted this on my Facebook and sent it out to everyone in my email list. After reading about someone else's scam issue, I thought I'd share it with my family here too.

I just received a phishing scam via text message. The text was about an urgent issue with my MasterCard instructing me to call a 310 area code. Having never signed up for or received such a message previously, I called my bank directly at their usual 800 #. They did not send any such notifications but have received dozens of calls today about people receiving this message. The scammers "verify" your account information and then they have all the pieces they need to go shopping. Protect your info!

Just an FYI to anyone else who may have received a similar message… and a general reminder to always be on guard.

Remember: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you. :tf

Thank you. That is all.

Jbailey
09-01-2010, 01:12 PM
A few months ago I had a call with a voice message telling me my card got shut off and I had to type my card info into the phone.

I called the number back and I did get a bank but they had a problem with someone hacked into their phone system and was calling people for their info. They apologized for the call.

Weird stuff.

Chingas
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up Kitty.:tu

neoflex
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I would hope that a bank contacting you via text message would throw up a red flag. Even via e-mail I am going to question it's authenticity. There's just to many people running scams these days to just kind of trust any contact they make to you unless you called the bank direct or logged into your account as being legitimate.

Mugen910
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I would hope that a bank contacting you via text message would throw up a red flag. Even via e-mail I am going to question it's authenticity. There's just to many people running scams these days to just kind of trust any contact they make to you unless you called the bank direct or logged into your account as being legitimate.

Actually my Chase account notifies my via txtmsg if something gets charged.

So many scams out there it's good to know that people questions the authenticity of such situations first.

OLS
09-01-2010, 02:39 PM
" and a general reminder to always be on guard. "
This is the most important thing. Old folks, young kids, they just haven't seen
enough to be up to date on things. I like to say believe half of what you see and
none of what you hear. And it doesn't matter if it sounds to good to be true or
not, I call it all a scam, lol.

Apoco
09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I had an actual, legitimate phone call from my bank the other day. I insisted that I come and talk to them face-to-face. Looking back on it, I also could have asked for his extension and call the bank directly.

When it comes to banking, I trust no one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silound
09-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Actually my Chase account notifies my via txtmsg if something gets charged.

So many scams out there it's good to know that people questions the authenticity of such situations first.

Good thing about Chase is that everything you can do online or over the phone can be done in person at a location.

I got a call a while back from "Chase" saying they had a problem and needed to confirm some things with me. I told them I would go handle it at the local location.

Much to my surprise, when I got there, a banker had already been notified that I would be coming in! As soon as someone knew who I was, the banker came over greeted me, and took me to his cubby so I could clear up the problem.

The thought struck my head as I was leaving that, despite my suspicions, that is a prime example of a company going out of its way to make you feel wanted.

PeteSB75
09-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Good thing about Chase is that everything you can do online or over the phone can be done in person at a location.

I got a call a while back from "Chase" saying they had a problem and needed to confirm some things with me. I told them I would go handle it at the local location.

Much to my surprise, when I got there, a banker had already been notified that I would be coming in! As soon as someone knew who I was, the banker came over greeted me, and took me to his cubby so I could clear up the problem.

The thought struck my head as I was leaving that, despite my suspicions, that is a prime example of a company going out of its way to make you feel wanted.

Been using Chase for the past two years or so, and I have to say they have really stepped up the customer service, especially in their branches. I used to bank with them a number of years ago and dropped them because their service was poor. Went back when they offered the best rate on my mortgage and have been pleasantly surprised.

GreekGodX
09-02-2010, 07:46 AM
" and a general reminder to always be on guard. "
This is the most important thing. Old folks, young kids, they just haven't seen
enough to be up to date on things. I like to say believe half of what you see and
none of what you hear. And it doesn't matter if it sounds to good to be true or
not, I call it all a scam, lol.

Did you hear that through the grapevine? ;)

Citicards notifies via text. First time it happened to me I called the number on my card and they verified they did indeed send a text. I wouldn't ever call the number they text me just to be safe.

pnoon
09-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Did you hear that through the grapevine? ;)

Citicards notifies via text. First time it happened to me I called the number on my card and they verified they did indeed send a text. I wouldn't ever call the number they text me just to be safe.
Interesting.
I've had Citi for years and never have they texted me. I have received a number of phone calls checking on the legitimacy of transactions and have been impressed with how they have stayed on top of things. But never a text.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreekGodX
09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Interesting.
I've had Citi for years and never have they texted me. I have received a number of phone calls checking on the legitimacy of transactions and have been impressed with how they have stayed on top of things. But never a text.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can sign up for it through them. Doesn't cost anything, just another feature they offer. I'm pretty sure you can do it online or call and ask them to notify you via text.

Darrell
09-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Interesting.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bet you have to sign up for that feature. My bank does the same thing, but I had to sign up for it.

and anyone who fell for the text scam must be a real idiot.