PDA

View Full Version : Michigan and Ohio State in different Divisions in the New Big 12?

chippewastud79
09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Just read the rumor that University of Michigan and Ohio State will be on opposite side of the divisions in the new Big 12. Minnesota and Wisconsin on opposite sides as well. :td

East
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern

West
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Has the Big 12 given up on the rivalry game or are they automatically going to play the rivalry games every year? :hm

kgoings
09-01-2010, 02:24 PM
This has been in the news for weeks. Mich OSU will play every year in a protected cross over game, as well as Minn and Wis. The draw is that rivals like Mich and OSU could meet twice a year, once in regular season and once in the Championship game.

As a Nebraska fan I am pumped to be part of the Big 10+2, the Big 12 sucked! Nebraska vrs Iowa should become a quick rivalry. And sounds like Nebraska's cross over game will be Penn State. :tu

The Poet
09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Simple solution: Cut Northwestern and Indiana from the conference, and go back to one division.

The only effect this would have on the Big Whatever would be to lower its collective IQ. :D

AlohaStyle
09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
This has been in the news for weeks. Mich OSU will play every year in a protected cross over game, as well as Minn and Wis. The draw is that rivals like Mich and OSU could meet twice a year, once in regular season and once in the Championship game.

I like the idea of this, but in reality I think it sucks. I've read that the rivalry games will be the last game of the year like always. I think it would suck if the Big Ten championship game would be a rematch from the week before, like Michigan vs OSU or other rivalries. I have always hated that possibility... If one team wins the regular season game, then the other team wins the following week, they are the champs. Doesn't make sense to me as each team would be 1-1 against each other in consecutive weeks basically.

BigCat
09-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Looks like Michigan-OSU will still be the last game of the regular season as well. I just don't know how I feel about the possibility of a rematch the next week in the conference championship game. It would have been one thing a couple years ago when a rematch would have been for the NC, but I don't think I like it this way. Put them in the same division and keep the game where it is. That way, only the winner can win the conference.

kgoings
09-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Everything I have read is that the Mich OSU game will be played earlier in the season to avoid just that senario. The whole idea is to make the championship game desirable, it wont be if they just played last week. I think you will see the game moved back to midseason.

AlohaStyle
09-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Everything I have read is that the Mich OSU game will be played earlier in the season to avoid just that senario. The whole idea is to make the championship game desirable, it wont be if they just played last week. I think you will see the game moved back to midseason.

That would be the thing to do.

But here is where I read it... obviously nothing is certain yet, but one of the "sources" said it will be the last game of the year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13860488/big-ten-to-split-up-michigan-ohio-state

CBSSports.com wire reports
Sep. 1, 2010

PARK RIDGE, Ill. -- Two people familiar with the Big Ten's decision say the league has decided to put Ohio State and Michigan into separate divisions starting next season.

One person also says Michigan and Ohio State will continue to play each other each year in the regular-season finale, as they have since 1943.

According to the two people, one six-team division will include Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota and Northwestern, while the other will have Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue and Indiana.

They spoke to The Associated Press on Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the Big Ten had not announced its decision.

kgoings
09-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Crazy